Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Legends never die

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

david carmichael posted:

Yeah I only thought of Clara because I was really thinking of bobsled and powerlifting where an enormous part is bigass asses. I'm just saying that there is a lot of sports that are transferable to other sports at near-elite and elite levels. Obviously it's not happening every day and the herschel walkers are stupendous athletes. But there are people who have low level professional success at sports that they haven't done enormous amounts of sport specific training for just because there is a large overlap in required skills and training protocols

I think a prime Bo Jackson could have crossed over to MMA, but Bo Jackson was once in a lifetime.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
if floyd and conor do fight, does anyone here have to eat a hat?

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

LobsterMobster posted:

Many people will be extremely wrong, myself included, but I don't think any toxxes have been made to the best of my memory

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Bluedeanie posted:

Many people will be extremely wrong, myself included, but I don't think any toxxes have been made to the best of my memory

I don't think I did, and the more I think about this, the more glorious the train wreck becomes in my head...

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Put RJJ vs. Anderson on the undercard plz

mewse
May 2, 2006

LobsterMobster posted:

Please no

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

Run that poo poo back, mewse

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

1st AD posted:

Oh man please

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

1st AD posted:

Hell, why not at this point. Both of them were campaigning for it on Twitter a few months ago too.

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

I'd actually be happy with an all boxing vs mma event so we can collectively get it out of our system, stop preventing interesting matches with uninteresting matches, and realize that one does not translate to the other.

I thought we did with Couture/Toney but I guess not.

mewse
May 2, 2006

TheReverend posted:

I'd actually be happy with an all boxing vs mma event so we can collectively get it out of our system, stop preventing interesting matches with uninteresting matches, and realize that one does not translate to the other.

I thought we did with Couture/Toney but I guess not.

Floyd will outbox Conor. Conor would wreck Floyd in a MMA bout tho

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

Yeah that's the point I'm trying to make.

Like it might be more interesting if it were kickboxing because then maybe it's like "the guy who knows how to kick ok and punch pretty good for mma" versus "the guy who doesn't know how to kick or defend kicks but is a dedicated elite boxer".

Personal Lucubrant
Oct 18, 2016

Just thinking about what to do with all the money I don't have.
I've always been confused why this debate was ever a thing. It's like trying to compare a sprinter and a decathlete. The obvious conclusion is that the sprinter will win a sprinting event, but the decathlete would win the overall decathlon event.

I guess people simultaneously overestimate McGregor and underestimate Mayweather in terms of boxing ability, and also the "sudden victory" potential of combat sports makes it harder to predict.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

mewse posted:

Floyd will outbox Conor.

I was chatting with a friend of mine about this (retarded) fight who is a huge boxing fan. His take on it is that Conor wouldn't be the #1 rated boxer in his weight division in Dublin County, and that the best boxer in his weight division in Dublin County would be ranked about 1500 in the world. It's not even going to be close. Mayweather will get his first KO win in ten years.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Pearnicious posted:

I've always been confused why this debate was ever a thing. It's like trying to compare a sprinter and a decathlete. The obvious conclusion is that the sprinter will win a sprinting event, but the decathlete would win the overall decathlon event.

I guess people simultaneously overestimate McGregor and underestimate Mayweather in terms of boxing ability, and also the "sudden victory" potential of combat sports makes it harder to predict.

But Conor has one shot knockout power and is kind of tall for the weightclass! Something that Floyd has never dealt with in 49 fights.

There are people saying, with complete earnestness, that Floyd has never faced someone like Conor before, which is true in the sense that he's never faced anyone with no pro-boxing experience before.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Watching Conor time his left perfectly into the Philly shell repeatedly will be hilarious.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
If Conor can dream it... he can do it.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Memento posted:

I was chatting with a friend of mine about this (retarded) fight who is a huge boxing fan. His take on it is that Conor wouldn't be the #1 rated boxer in his weight division in Dublin County, and that the best boxer in his weight division in Dublin County would be ranked about 1500 in the world. It's not even going to be close. Mayweather will get his first KO win in ten years.

*Brendan Schaub voice*
I dunno man, I think you'd be really surprised.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Has Floyd ever faced The Secret before though?

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

Triticum Guzzler posted:

i absolutely don't give a poo poo about that fight but if it happens then i'm happy both those guys can stave off bankruptcy for another 6 months after the end of their careers

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
As ive said before i think the best possible version of that fight would be old school American kickboxing rules, no kicks below the belt, no elbows or knees. Any more towards either side of the spectrum and its a really stupid easy fight for either guy. If its a boxing match i wont really care to watch it.. theyll have to settle for the other 69 million poeple who want to watch it

crack mayor
Dec 22, 2008
Has there been any scuttlebutt about the undercard for that fight? A mixed promotion sounds interesting. poo poo, have a bunch of different fights with different rulesets. Grappling match, kickboxing, pride rules. Seems like a good way to beef up the show, considering the main event could be a thoroughly one sided affair

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
The main event is gonna start at 10pm PST, go 10 rounds, and will be thoroughly unremarkable unless Floyd effortlessly clowning Conor gets you hard.

crack mayor
Dec 22, 2008
Actually, I've just come up with a preliminary undercard. All boxing exhibition matches.

Deontay Wilder v. Brock Lesnar

B-hop v. The Iceman

Naseem Hamed v. ???

Adrien Broner v. Some Mexican mma fighter with good hands

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
I don't care about it, but I'm not going to poignantly stay home resolutely not watching it when every single male person I know will be watching. Terrible fight. One of the premie social events of the calendar year though.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
I'm going to watch it twice for every tine you don't watch it.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Most of the people I watch UFC stuff with are (at best) casual fans and they're insanely hyped about the prospect of this fight even happening, so that's awesome. Regardless of outcome it will be a fun show and a good time. Conor has been great at keeping people around me interested in watching this dumb great sport so I salute him even if he gets clowned for ten rounds.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
I assume it's going to be $100 or thereabouts for the PPV?

edit: on second though, this really isn't the right thread for it. Here:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3823502

Memento fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Jun 13, 2017

mewse
May 2, 2006

Memento posted:

I assume it's going to be $100 or thereabouts for the PPV?

Yeah, they need to recover the money they lost on the mayweather/pacquiao ppv

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

So who's going to be the next lightweight champ, seeing as how Conor's going to never want or need to fight in the UFC again the second after that fight's over

mewse
May 2, 2006

Chris James 2 posted:

So who's going to be the next lightweight champ, seeing as how Conor's going to never want or need to fight in the UFC again the second after that fight's over

You know The Answer

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

mewse posted:

You know The Answer

He fights at featherweight

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

Chris James 2 posted:

Khahahaha

Nah, I can't

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
El Cucuy has never fought Eddie Alvarez, make that next for an interim strap, inevitably promote that to undisputed when Conor relinquishes his second belt in two years.

candide
Jun 16, 2002

The Tipping Point

Chris James 2 posted:

where sage fine rear end at

Diddie
Sep 1, 2001

What the heck is going on in here???

candide posted:

where sage fine rear end at

With TAM now

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
Tferg is the most likely lightweight champ at this point, with khabib stalking him around the place for years, yelling 'lets go champ' in kazahkstanian

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

kimbo305 posted:

*Brendan Schaub voice*
I dunno man, I think you'd be really surprised.

*Joe Rogan voice*

I think he'd gently caress him up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Did Lewis gently caress up a weight cut or something vs Hunto? He seemed way more shy about eating shots than normal (even more than I would expect someone to be against Hunt). I only remember him shooting for a very sleepy takedown around R3/4, which Hunt just stepped around. Strikes me as strange that he'd be so timid having called Hunt out in the first place.

• Locked thread