Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

The interview is so loving good because it gives me the idea that no one at Sega has thought about Sonic for more than two seconds.

There's so much going on with the answer about Mighty the Armadillo. He only exists in the "Classic World?" Is Classic Sonic another dimension now when two games ago it was the past? Is the world Mighty is from merely the World of 1995, his last game appearance, and while he still exists in the past he is not allowed to exist at any point of time past 1995? Is it just that the world we live in changed so much in 1996 that we simply couldn't have a character like Mighty going forward? Or is the classic end of the franchise still the past, and Mighty just phased out of existence when all his friends grow up? Did Mighty die off-screen?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

It's pretty simple. The idea of "worlds" isn't a hard answer about the rules of the universe, it just applies to how they approach different titles and ideas. That's all.

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
mighty the armadillo was killed in a drive by in 1997

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

TFRazorsaw posted:

the super emeralds never existed

hyper sonic was all in your mind

Ok then wtf is this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ggVy3SGkeQ

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Illegal

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

a mod

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

I was dealing a. Inch of Dark Ages bad Sonic comics yesterday and, as much as Ken Penders' Knuckles poo poo is bad and stupid, people seem to be giving him all the blame and forgetting that Karl Bollers was responsible for most of the really bad Sonjc stories. He's less into the recolors but his poo poo is straight up dumbtown as much as Ken's.

Also the art. Sonic was designed to be easy for children to draw, so why is it so hard for professional artists to get it right?

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Was ken penders the weirdo who wrote himself into the universe as a self-insert love interest to a beautiful furry femme fatale or was that some other weird gay thread I post in. Serious question.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

The most Ken Penders self inserted into Sonic involved parental characters. Sonic's parents, Jules and Bernadette, are named after his father and wife respectively. Also Hershey the Cat is named after his cat.

Geoffery St. John isn't based on him, just his hard on for James Bond-style characters. What makes his creepy is that Geoffery was meant to be a decade older than Sally was.

No, where Penders' stuff gets really kind of messed up is the stuff regarding Knuckles' and his father, Locke. Penders' father was reportedly abusive and their relationship was strained, and he later died of cancer, just like Locke did in the "25 years later" stories. The way Penders' story goes out of its way to justify Locke's abandonment and abusive treatment of Knuckles takes on a really unfortunate bent with that cintext.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

beep by grandpa posted:

Was ken penders the weirdo who wrote himself into the universe as a self-insert love interest to a beautiful furry femme fatale or was that some other weird gay thread I post in. Serious question.

I think this was Geoffrey St. John, who I don't... THINK started as a self-insert so directly but kiiiinda became one. If you watched the Cybershell video on the Archie comics you should know about him--he eventually marries Hershey, the horrifying human proportions sexycat who was tricked into putting on a Sonic mask and assassinating Sally.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Hershey and Geoffery hooking up was done by Karl Bollers.

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

not canon

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

TFRazorsaw posted:

Hershey and Geoffery hooking up was done by Karl Bollers.

Ahh. Sorry, I shouldn't act like I kept the writers straight for any of this.

Friendly Factory
Apr 19, 2007

I can't stand the wailing of women
Friendly Factory fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Jun 4, 2018

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Why would anyone read Sonic comics?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Because they were consistently good for 12 years?

Friendly Factory
Apr 19, 2007

I can't stand the wailing of women
Friendly Factory fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Jun 4, 2018

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

because we have to masturbate to SOMETHING god dammit

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Because after Penders got booted off they were really cool and fun?

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

It's so easy to blame Penders because of the lawsuit bullshit but really, almost everyone working on the comic during that period shares responsibility for the mess. Ron Lim and Karl Bollers especially seem to manage to squeak under the radar because of Penders but holy poo poo does their stuff suck rear end too.

Dawn Best's art is decent though. There's another artists who pops up every once in a while who's pretty decent too, but they are the exceptions.

Also, Tommy the loving Turtle. Jesus Christ what a miserable lame character.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
How does sonic compare to knack

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Can someone make a video like Cybershell did on the British Sonic comic? It looks equally as ridiculous as the American one and I want to know more.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

SeANMcBAY posted:

Can someone make a video like Cybershell did on the British Sonic comic? It looks equally as ridiculous as the American one and I want to know more.

The British comic is better, because even though it gets weird, just is weird if not weird or than the Archie stuff, it never takes itself all that seriously. It always realizes how weird it is, and the tone isn't nearly as incorrect for the franchise.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

the british comic reaches greater heights than the american one but as far as ive heard it also reaches greater lows

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Stairmaster posted:

the british comic reaches greater heights than the american one but as far as ive heard it also reaches greater lows

That's too much to believe without evidence.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

they did an adaptation of sonic 3 that was longer than one issue unlike lazy archie so thats one point for them.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

I read most of the U.K. Comics a few years ago and it can be hit or miss at times but I don't think it's lies ever got as bad as Archie's. It got pretty surreal at times but poo poo like Tails being tempted to go Lee Harvey Oswald on Robotnik is awesome, weird and interesting. It's rarely boring, unlike Archie, which had a short phase where they decided since the characters were teenagers they should go to school. That poo poo was amazingly bad.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Robotnik Nudes posted:

It's so easy to blame Penders because of the lawsuit bullshit but really, almost everyone working on the comic during that period shares responsibility for the mess. Ron Lim and Karl Bollers especially seem to manage to squeak under the radar because of Penders but holy poo poo does their stuff suck rear end too.

Dawn Best's art is decent though. There's another artists who pops up every once in a while who's pretty decent too, but they are the exceptions.

Also, Tommy the loving Turtle. Jesus Christ what a miserable lame character.

Bollers squeaks under there because he actually does get better about his writing. His main issues were being overly verbose and dramatic and... for lack of a better describing term loving boring. He tends to be given a pass because he actually liked the Sonic characters and was trying to focus the story around them, not whatever his new OC toys were in that instant.

No one talks about Ron Lim because he was just an awful artist on the book. And saying "The Sonic comic has awful art" outside of Spaz, Yardley, I could debate-ably say Bates, and of course Hesse for the short time he did, most of the art was poo poo.

Bollers aint no Mike Gallagher, but he's cut some slack because he did (slowly) improve, and his future plans for the comic showed he really was trying to get things more aligned with the games universe.

Penders, if anything, just got worse.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
Spaz is an amazing artist and I never want to look at his non-comic work because I'm certain I will find something that will make me deeply ashamed of him. His Metal Sonic looked genuinely badass, which is weird because it's a robot hedgehog built by an obese man obsessed with eggs.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

YeahSpaz is also great but after a while he basically just gets relegated to cover art duty.

Art Mawhiney was solid for years and never got around to flat out sucking, but he seems to have a harder time drawing a good Sonic after the Adventure redesigns hit, and his version of Eggman just isn't very good.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
Something else I forgot to sperg about was just how dynamic Spaz's art is. Take 25 for example, the Metal Sonic issue: The characters look like they're moving, each frame of every panel tells a miniature story of its own, and he draws everything true to their design while keeping his visuals sharp and clear. Robotnik is full-on hammy, Sonic is perfectly smug, and Metal Sonic is sleek and threatening. When I was a kid that was my favorite comic in the series, bar none.

Screaming Idiot fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Jun 13, 2017

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Spaz is cool.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

New footage, including our first listen to Green Hill Zone Act 2 and the boss theme. Seems like they made some small changes to the Mirage Saloon Act 2 music too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uB9RP2SV8HY

"Tales"

nerdbot fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Jun 13, 2017

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

They sure did take inspiration from Sonic Generations for the Death Egg Robo, didn't they?

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

nerdbot posted:

New footage, including our first listen to Green Hill Zone Act 2 and the boss theme. Seems like they made some small changes to the Mirage Saloon Act 2 music too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uB9RP2SV8HY

"Tales"

gosh that's a long intro on that GHZ act 2 music. Takes way too long to get to the main melody. Fine for the start of the act but hearing it again every time a powerup wears off in that vid was already annoying.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
The worst thing about Sonic Mania I've seen so far is that speed shoes have a separate power up theme rather than just speeding up the BGM. I hope that's just temporary since the soundtrack isn't finalized, I hate power up themes.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Pigbuster posted:

The worst thing about Sonic Mania I've seen so far is that speed shoes have a separate power up theme rather than just speeding up the BGM. I hope that's just temporary since the soundtrack isn't finalized, I hate power up themes.

Why would it be temporary? I mean they made a whole new track, why would you even think that

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

Why would it be temporary? I mean they made a whole new track, why would you even think that

I dunno. I just dislike it and if other playtesters dislike it maybe it'd change. :shrug:

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dprxYd_16Ck
I like Shadow being an enemy again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Is that Chaos on the left there :psyduck:

edit: Yeah it sure is, hell yeah