Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
Back in the old days, I heard a lot of horror stories being parroted about going from regular to synthetic and magical leaks appearing. Apparently the rubber and cork don't work well with synthetic.

I haven't heard any bad reports about going the other way, from synth to regular. Just so long as the engine doesn't require synthetic, and the correct grade is available. They even sell partial synthetics these days, and chances are the base stock in "synthetic" is really a conventional thanks to a marketing lawsuit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
Thinking of buying a 2005+ Ford Ranger, just wondering what I should look out for and what "high mileage" might be for that particular vehicle.

I'm looking at a very long-distance move and trading in my current vehicle + renting a trailer isn't much more expensive than renting a uhaul truck. We already have a family car so I wouldn't mind a second vehicle with more utility. However, I'd like to keep the purchase price under $10,000.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

the trump tutelage posted:

Thinking of buying a 2005+ Ford Ranger, just wondering what I should look out for and what "high mileage" might be for that particular vehicle.

I'm looking at a very long-distance move and trading in my current vehicle + renting a trailer isn't much more expensive than renting a uhaul truck. We already have a family car so I wouldn't mind a second vehicle with more utility. However, I'd like to keep the purchase price under $10,000.

How big a trailer? You might want to get a V6 Ranger or a bigger truck with a V8. You'd also need to figure in a hitch if your purchase doesn't have one.

Also, how long a move? The nice thing about Uhauls is that they're covered... I hope it doesn't rain.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
Don't pay anywhere near that for a ranger. That's insane. I know someone else will but trust me, it's not worth it. Maybe $3k tops. I delivered auto parts in one during high school, I have driven many other trucks since then, a ranger is just not a particularly good truck. Especially for moving across country. And towing. And reliability, and rust resistance. Just find a standard cab short bed f150 if fords are your thing and size is a concern.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

rdb posted:

Back in the old days, I heard a lot of horror stories being parroted about going from regular to synthetic and magical leaks appearing. Apparently the rubber and cork don't work well with synthetic.

I haven't heard any bad reports about going the other way, from synth to regular. Just so long as the engine doesn't require synthetic, and the correct grade is available. They even sell partial synthetics these days, and chances are the base stock in "synthetic" is really a conventional thanks to a marketing lawsuit.

To add to this, the fear was often based in the idea that conventional oils will build up some sludge, which can sometimes fill in the gaps of a seal that isn't doing its job properly. Synthetic with its superior cleaning abilities would clean these deposits out and cause leaks.

The counterpoint to this is that modern dino oils are actually pretty drat good anyway and would probably cause the same leaks. Also, it's a failed seal either way.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
And the thought that synthetic "swelled" old seals.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

rdb posted:

Don't pay anywhere near that for a ranger. That's insane. I know someone else will but trust me, it's not worth it. Maybe $3k tops. I delivered auto parts in one during high school, I have driven many other trucks since then, a ranger is just not a particularly good truck. Especially for moving across country. And towing. And reliability, and rust resistance. Just find a standard cab short bed f150 if fords are your thing and size is a concern.

Not married to the Ford Ranger, they just seemed like the best value in my neck of the woods. What would you recommend besides the F150?

I'm looking to tow about 5000lbs around 4000km.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

IOwnCalculus posted:

To add to this, the fear was often based in the idea that conventional oils will build up some sludge, which can sometimes fill in the gaps of a seal that isn't doing its job properly. Synthetic with its superior cleaning abilities would clean these deposits out and cause leaks.

The counterpoint to this is that modern dino oils are actually pretty drat good anyway and would probably cause the same leaks. Also, it's a failed seal either way.

Yeah, that old chevy 2 piece rear main seal was a leaky piece of crap long before the synthetic got to it.

I think synthetic tends to be more uniform in molecule size. So it more uniformly leaks out a lovely seal. Plus it doesn't have paraffin wax and whatever Penn star molecules(sludge)that were in old school oils.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

Not married to the Ford Ranger, they just seemed like the best value in my neck of the woods. What would you recommend besides the F150?

I'm looking to tow about 5000lbs around 4000km.

5000 is more than a ranger can comfortably handle. You should be fine with whatever half ton you want provided GM made it. With the fords, be cautious of the triton v8 engines that had issues with either ejecting or sized spark plugs and failed cam phasers. Other than that solid trucks. With a Ram in that price range transmissions might be an issue, especially 02-older.

cigaw
Sep 13, 2012
2014 Hyundai Accent GLS - 1.6L DI DOHC 4cyl - 33k miles

Identified source of noise and fixed it. Cause was a combination of one brake pad shim/spring that was slightly bent and, more importantly, an inside brake pad that was worn way the gently caress down.

Just look at it. Both pads from the same caliper.

Pads on the right wheel were fine. Replaced all 4 pads and shims.

I am worried about the premature wear on the pad. I understand the inside pad wears faster, but this seems extreme to me. Few theories:
1. That pad was not changed out last time the brakes were serviced by the previous owner.
2. Factory issue. Pads of different materials were packaged together or there was just a production flaw.
3. The brake rotor surface is damaged and causing excessive wear on braking.

The inside surface of the rotor did look like it had some crap on it, but it could very well be from the fact that the pad was so worn down. I plan on pulling the wheel again this weekend and taking another look at the rotor surface after the new pad has had a chance to clean it up a bit. I'll inspect the rotors more closely and try to determine if they need resurfacing or replacing. I am having a hard time figuring out what the condemning thickness is supposed to be, though. Is there a guideline for this or is it specific to the make and model of the rotors I have on my car?

I've learned some valuable lessons on this and I'll summarize it here for the benefit of those like me who have little experience with auto maintenance.
1. Learn what you are looking for. Youtube videos are a good resource for component assembly, disassembly and inspection.
2. Properly inspect things. Don't say it's fine just because it kind of looks that way to your untrained eye. I looked at the pads through the inspection hole on the caliper and thought they had plenty of material left. I was right about one pad, absolutely wrong about the other one.
3. In a similar vein to the ones above, if you can't see something well, apply more light and if necessary disassemble as much as you safely can/need to so you can properly inspect things.
4. Replacing brake pads is really quite simple. I got a cheapo spreader like this one to push the piston back and it did the trick. I did place one of the discarded pads over the piston to protect it though.

Thanks for the input, guys. I really appreciate it.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
How easy would it be to replace the brake lines in my '94 Ford Ranger? The truck spent most of its life in Michigan, and the mechanic tells me that salt from the winter roads rusted them out. He also quoted me $1000 in labor alone for the job, which I'm pretty sure is deterrent pricing, because he didn't seem enthused about taking the job, but for all I know, it may actually be that big a task.

I'd like to take a swing at it, but I've never done brake work that involved before. I've changed the calipers, pads, and rotors on a vehicle before and had little trouble, and I can do basic stuff like replace vacuum hoses, locate and replace an EGR valve, swap out an O2 sensor, change oil, etc. Would I have a lot of trouble doing this myself?

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

How easy would it be to replace the brake lines in my '94 Ford Ranger? The truck spent most of its life in Michigan, and the mechanic tells me that salt from the winter roads rusted them out. He also quoted me $1000 in labor alone for the job, which I'm pretty sure is deterrent pricing, because he didn't seem enthused about taking the job, but for all I know, it may actually be that big a task.

I'd like to take a swing at it, but I've never done brake work that involved before. I've changed the calipers, pads, and rotors on a vehicle before and had little trouble, and I can do basic stuff like replace vacuum hoses, locate and replace an EGR valve, swap out an O2 sensor, change oil, etc. Would I have a lot of trouble doing this myself?

Once you swapped out the lines, Bleeding them only by yourself can be a pain unless you have a helper to push the pedal or you have a pump. But replacing the lines yourself is fairly simple. Routing the new lines through the frame and around all the other parts can be a pain. Just match pipe diameters and threaded ends.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Michael Scott posted:

$5 for welding, wow. That would be 10 seconds of welding here in my US city. The differences in costs are crazy.
$5 is super cheap for here as well, I was really surprised when I heard that but didn't complain. I'm sure this is only possible in these shade-tree places and a dealership would have me replace the whole midsection and lambda sensor for $$$ in parts and labor.

Tomarse posted:

I've not quite worked out where you are to use mm and $ but have an MOT?, but in the UK nobody bothers turning brake discs now as the labour alone would usually cost more than just buying new ones. You should definitely look online for pricing - I just spent under £50 for 2x discs for my 35 year old car shipped from Germany to the UK.

Yeah - replacing discs yourself is not complicated but will likely need you to shift some very tight and likely rusted nuts/bolts
Czech republic. I converted the money because nobody would know what the hell the moon currency meant, but kept mm because metric superiority, bitches :can:

And the thickness specs were in mm too. I'll call around tomorrow and see if I could have them machined reasonably (which I think it will, labor is relatively cheap here), otherwise new rotors it is.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

mobby_6kl posted:

$5 is super cheap for here as well, I was really surprised when I heard that but didn't complain. I'm sure this is only possible in these shade-tree places and a dealership would have me replace the whole midsection and lambda sensor for $$$ in parts and labor.

Czech republic. I converted the money because nobody would know what the hell the moon currency meant, but kept mm because metric superiority, bitches :can:

And the thickness specs were in mm too. I'll call around tomorrow and see if I could have them machined reasonably (which I think it will, labor is relatively cheap here), otherwise new rotors it is.

I'm in the US. I just got the air tube nipple replaced on my exhaust for $18. Of course, I had to take the whole Y pipe assembly off and to the welder.

Doesn't the CR use Euros?

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

kid sinister posted:

Once you swapped out the lines, Bleeding them only by yourself can be a pain unless you have a helper to push the pedal or you have a pump. But replacing the lines yourself is fairly simple. Routing the new lines through the frame and around all the other parts can be a pain. Just match pipe diameters and threaded ends.

That's a relief. Mrs. Fai can pump the brakes to bleed the lines when the time comes, so it sounds like I've got a weekend project ahead of me.

I've been pricing the lines in the meantime and they're a bit more expensive than I expected. Would it be kosher to grab some off an old Ranger in a junkyard? Or are brake lines one of those things you really want to buy new?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

I wouldn't tow anything very long distance with a Ranger I'd tow something just about every day (boat, trailer, whatever) with mine, but never more than 200 miles.
You're gonna need to do a lot of maintenance before you start out, and probably break a lot of poo poo along the way.
After owning a proper fullsized F150 and towing with that, I really don't know how the gently caress I managed with just a 4 cyl ranger.

Why not just buy an '06+ F150?

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

"Hey, don't put capture a guy!"
...Well I've got to put something!
1998 Isuzu Rodeo

This beater has been reliable as hell for me until today. Replaced the Fuel pump at 120k mi. but that's been the only major issue.

About 1/4mi. from home last night the brake light on the dash lights up, the battery symbol lights up, and the engine squeels. I drive the last 1/4mi home with no power steering.

I park it, and decide to look at it in the morning, when I see this under the hood...

The belt has snapped off of the pulleys, wrapped around the fan, and apparently knocked one of the pulleys off axis. Wonderful! *gently caress*

So, can anyone tell me wtf happened here, and how to remedy it? Thanks so much for your time.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
The bearing let go in that tensioner pulley. Just replace the whole assembly and the belt and you should be fine.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I think the damaged one is just an idler, the tensioner being the plain one below it. But yes, replace it. I would replace the tensioner as a matter of course, too, unless they're silly money.

Looks like the pulley on the fan got itself a little bent out on the lip, so you may be able to smack that back into shape with a hammer rather than needing to replace it.

Have a feel that none of the others seem loose, and run a straight edge across them to make sure everything is still aligned.

As for what caused it, I would assume either the idler bearing collapsed, or a bit of debris kicked up into the belt and tripped it off.

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

What's the assembly called? For instance if I was searching to purchase it online.
Sorry obviously I'm a mechanical newb, I don't know what to look for here.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

That's a relief. Mrs. Fai can pump the brakes to bleed the lines when the time comes, so it sounds like I've got a weekend project ahead of me.

I've been pricing the lines in the meantime and they're a bit more expensive than I expected. Would it be kosher to grab some off an old Ranger in a junkyard? Or are brake lines one of those things you really want to buy new?

Which lines are we talking about?

If you mean the soft lines that run to the calipers, absolutely not, buy those new.

If you mean hard lines, you also don't want to buy those used (unless maybe you get something completely rust free at a junkyard) but you also have options other than buying a pre-formed vehicle-specific line. A roll of copper-nickel brake line, some fittings, an inline flaring tool, and a good tubing cutter, and you can fab your own replacement hardline by hand.

rdb posted:

The bearing let go in that tensioner pulley. Just replace the whole assembly and the belt and you should be fine.

InitialDave posted:

I think the damaged one is just an idler, the tensioner being the plain one below it. But yes, replace it. I would replace the tensioner as a matter of course, too, unless they're silly money.

Looks like the pulley on the fan got itself a little bent out on the lip, so you may be able to smack that back into shape with a hammer rather than needing to replace it.

Have a feel that none of the others seem loose, and run a straight edge across them to make sure everything is still aligned.

As for what caused it, I would assume either the idler bearing collapsed, or a bit of debris kicked up into the belt and tripped it off.

To add to this, the only real possibility that anything has gone horribly wrong is if the engine was somehow able to overheat during that last half mile and cause damage. But if you drove it sensibly, you're fine. Twice I've driven trucks where the front snout of the water pump broke off, resulting in both a loss of all accessory drive and a massive coolant leak on top of it. First time I limped it to the closest parking lot at the next exit (2 miles away), second time I probably drove it five miles home without even really trying to limp it. Both engines (a small block Chevy and a Ford Pinto) were perfectly fine after repairs.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Subways Jared posted:

What's the assembly called? For instance if I was searching to purchase it online.
Sorry obviously I'm a mechanical newb, I don't know what to look for here.

Doubleposting: Rockauto will often sell a whole "accessory belt kit" that includes the belt and any tensioners / idlers.

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

IOwnCalculus posted:

To add to this, the only real possibility that anything has gone horribly wrong is if the engine was somehow able to overheat during that last half mile and cause damage. But if you drove it sensibly, you're fine. Twice I've driven trucks where the front snout of the water pump broke off, resulting in both a loss of all accessory drive and a massive coolant leak on top of it. First time I limped it to the closest parking lot at the next exit (2 miles away), second time I probably drove it five miles home without even really trying to limp it. Both engines (a small block Chevy and a Ford Pinto) were perfectly fine after repairs.

Yeah thankfully no overheating or any other issues other than the dash lights I mentioned- brake and battery. But it drives up and down the street fine, just no power steering. Obviously I will not be driving it anywhere again until I fix this, I just needed to test it after sitting overnight.

IOwnCalculus posted:

Doubleposting: Rockauto will often sell a whole "accessory belt kit" that includes the belt and any tensioners / idlers.
Awesome I will take a look for this, thank you.

*EDIT*

I'm pretty sure this is what I'm supposed to buy, right?

http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=5963883&cc=1315873&jsn=339

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

I just did this on my old dodge and it's totally achievable but how aggravating it is depends on your skill level. Get a set of speed bleeder first, then a set of flare nut wrenches, mid to good quality ones. You'll likely have to drop a bunch of stuff like the manifold/headers and starter to get at the proportioning block somewhere in the C channel then it's a matter of just undoing the lines at both ends and not putting too many bend in them as you take them out.

Then take the shorter one to a parts store, find the right fittings and get a flare tool and some brake line in bulk. You'll spend an afternoon (or less, if you're better at this than I am and invest in a good flare tool) recreating the flares. Bend the lines (you'll need a bender but I've heard guys can do it with a beer can) into a rough approximation of your old ones and reinstall. It sucks but it saves you mad amounts of money. The proportioning block is brass and shouldn't seize too bad when it comes to removing the lines.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

iospace posted:

I'm almost positive this has been asked prior, but why don't you go from synthetic to regular exactly?

Others have pointed out some of the differences, but there's no real reason you can't switch between them. Synthetics do have more detergents (as they're meant to be run longer) and may wash some crud away if you suddenly switch to it on a high mileage engine, potentially making existing leaks worse. But going from synthetic to conventional isn't going to cause anything like that.

FWIW, I have no idea what the original owner of my car used, but I switched to synthetic on my first oil change after purchase (~70k I think?). I'm up to about 175k, and it still doesn't consume much oil between oil changes (rarely enough that I rarely have to add any between oil changes). No real leaks either.

Any reason you're thinking of switching back? On most cars, if you change your own oil, synthetic will only run $10-15 extra. You can generally push synthetic a bit further between oil changes too (I do ~9k between changes, with mostly highway driving, but it's still 3-4k miles per month for me). Though if you're having Jiffy Lube or the like doing your oil changes, I can see why you'd want to go to conventional (just :laffo: at what lube shops charge for synthetic)

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

mobby_6kl posted:

I just did the tech inspection/MOT thing and they weren't completely happy with the brakes, apparently uneven braking even though it brakes straight and strong. But still, not something to gently caress around with. They all look like this roughly, a small outer lip (except front outside) and somewhat uneven wear on the surface:

Somewhat contradictory: are you sure that the problem isn't that you failed to bribe the tester?

If the uneven braking is caused by the brakes (ie. pads, rotors, pistons, etc), the one side should be worn more than the other and you should be able to see which one is braking too hard/not enough.

Could be a suspension issue

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.
Thanks for the feedback re painting, I think I'm going to have a go! I may try and find a spare body panel to practice on first.

kid sinister posted:

Also, how long a move? The nice thing about Uhauls is that they're covered... I hope it doesn't rain.

That's what tarps and judicious amounts of ratchet straps are for :getin:

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Why not just buy an '06+ F150?
Any reason to avoid Dodge?

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

This weekend I got to do some driving in the mountains with my as of late problem-ridden 2011 Ford Fusion (3.0 6). Denver has been super hot this week (mid nineties) and the car had a full load of people, bikes, and camping stuff, and with the AC blasting. I noticed occasionally on large hills while it was warm and I was trying to maintain 65-70mph or so the temperature gauge would climb (the hills were I70 coming up out of Georgetown, 36 going uphill from Boulder towards Denver, and the Vail Summit. I think the hottest it got was about 2/3rds of the way up the temperature gauge, and once I backed off a little bit the thing would go right back down within a few seconds to the normal position (just a little under halfway). I already have to bring this piece of poo poo in for an awful suspension noise, is this something I should write off as an issue caused by uncommon circumstances, or is this likely to be serious?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Yes.

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2016/10/ram-ranks-last-in-consumer-reports-reliability-survey.html

This is not a new thing for Chrysler.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

Pros of a ram (formerly known as Dodge) truck: best rust resistance, generally solid engines.

Cons: 30k ball joints, death wobble on 4x4s, transmissions so sketchy that 100k miles on one is considered good, cracking dashboards, questionable electrics, seats that deteriorate in 94-02 models, cummins engine attracts idiots like flies to poo poo, it's just general downtime and expense that add up.

I would own one, but it would be a 2017 3500 heavy duty with the cummins engine and aisin trans that would ideally be brand new. And probably a lower spec trim with less to break inside. Used ones are too hit and miss.

Chevys and GMCs are rust prone but solid driveline and electrics. 07 and down 4x4s had an issue with transfer case pump rub but a dab of JB weld seems to be the cure.

Fords had a few issues with the triton, powerstroke and early ecoboost engines. If your comfortable working on one they aren't bad. Other than that they are solid and less rusty than a GM if you live somewhere it snows.

Toyota makes toyotas. Tundra gas mileage is miserable. But resale, reliability and rust resistance (except for 00-03) is great. There is one out there that toyota bought back and tore down with a million miles on it, videos on YouTube. I was impressed because half tons don't make it that far. That's usually the realm of 3/4 and 1 ton trucks.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Don't Dodge trucks also have a propensity towards electrical fires?

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Fo3 posted:

Yes, if the battery has some shorted cells it will be a drain on the good battery and a hindrance.
If you disconnect the battery and put the leads free floating direct to the cars wiring/terminals at least you can make sure it's not the starter, immobiliser, gear switch, any other relays and switches etc. But there's a risk in modern cars doing it that way, damaging the ecu or bcu.

I never followed up on this but I swapped out the battery and my old one was still under full warranty and now it's running like a champ so thanks for the advice all

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

cigaw posted:

2014 Hyundai Accent GLS - 1.6L DI DOHC 4cyl - 33k miles

Identified source of noise and fixed it. Cause was a combination of one brake pad shim/spring that was slightly bent and, more importantly, an inside brake pad that was worn way the gently caress down.

Just look at it. Both pads from the same caliper.

Pads on the right wheel were fine. Replaced all 4 pads and shims.

I am worried about the premature wear on the pad. I understand the inside pad wears faster, but this seems extreme to me. Few theories:
1. That pad was not changed out last time the brakes were serviced by the previous owner.
2. Factory issue. Pads of different materials were packaged together or there was just a production flaw.
3. The brake rotor surface is damaged and causing excessive wear on braking.

The inside surface of the rotor did look like it had some crap on it, but it could very well be from the fact that the pad was so worn down. I plan on pulling the wheel again this weekend and taking another look at the rotor surface after the new pad has had a chance to clean it up a bit. I'll inspect the rotors more closely and try to determine if they need resurfacing or replacing. I am having a hard time figuring out what the condemning thickness is supposed to be, though. Is there a guideline for this or is it specific to the make and model of the rotors I have on my car?

I've learned some valuable lessons on this and I'll summarize it here for the benefit of those like me who have little experience with auto maintenance.
1. Learn what you are looking for. Youtube videos are a good resource for component assembly, disassembly and inspection.
2. Properly inspect things. Don't say it's fine just because it kind of looks that way to your untrained eye. I looked at the pads through the inspection hole on the caliper and thought they had plenty of material left. I was right about one pad, absolutely wrong about the other one.
3. In a similar vein to the ones above, if you can't see something well, apply more light and if necessary disassemble as much as you safely can/need to so you can properly inspect things.
4. Replacing brake pads is really quite simple. I got a cheapo spreader like this one to push the piston back and it did the trick. I did place one of the discarded pads over the piston to protect it though.

Thanks for the input, guys. I really appreciate it.

Often times when one pad is worn out like that but the other is good is due to a stuck caliper. Either the piston sticks or the pins/bolts that hold the caliper together are bound up.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

rdb posted:

Pros of a ram (formerly known as Dodge) truck: best rust resistance

Everyone I see here in SE Michigan has what can only be described as rusty dinosaur claw wounds on their sides. A line-shaped rusty edged gash 4 feet long in the rockers, wheel wells literally missing, etc. The vans seem just as bad.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Others have pointed out some of the differences, but there's no real reason you can't switch between them. Synthetics do have more detergents (as they're meant to be run longer) and may wash some crud away if you suddenly switch to it on a high mileage engine, potentially making existing leaks worse. But going from synthetic to conventional isn't going to cause anything like that.

FWIW, I have no idea what the original owner of my car used, but I switched to synthetic on my first oil change after purchase (~70k I think?). I'm up to about 175k, and it still doesn't consume much oil between oil changes (rarely enough that I rarely have to add any between oil changes). No real leaks either.

Any reason you're thinking of switching back? On most cars, if you change your own oil, synthetic will only run $10-15 extra. You can generally push synthetic a bit further between oil changes too (I do ~9k between changes, with mostly highway driving, but it's still 3-4k miles per month for me). Though if you're having Jiffy Lube or the like doing your oil changes, I can see why you'd want to go to conventional (just :laffo: at what lube shops charge for synthetic)

I didn't switch at all, I was more curious than anything because I've heard you're not supposed to go from synth to regular without "weening the car off of it" or something to that effect and was wondering why I heard that mostly.

cephalopods
Aug 11, 2013

PaintVagrant posted:

Everyone I see here in SE Michigan has what can only be described as rusty dinosaur claw wounds on their sides. A line-shaped rusty edged gash 4 feet long in the rockers, wheel wells literally missing, etc. The vans seem just as bad.

Yeah, ram trucks (and Durangoes) are far and away the biggest rust buckets left on Michigan's roads.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

PaintVagrant posted:

Personally I see the rockers go on chevies first, then cab corners on chevy and Ford, and then bed sides on all three.

E: I think we can all agree GM is the worst.

rdb fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Jun 13, 2017

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

kid sinister posted:

I'm in the US. I just got the air tube nipple replaced on my exhaust for $18. Of course, I had to take the whole Y pipe assembly off and to the welder.

Doesn't the CR use Euros?
That's still pretty reasonable I'd say.

Nope, they kept the Koruna/Crown which was a good idea for more control over monetary policy imo

spog posted:

Somewhat contradictory: are you sure that the problem isn't that you failed to bribe the tester?

If the uneven braking is caused by the brakes (ie. pads, rotors, pistons, etc), the one side should be worn more than the other and you should be able to see which one is braking too hard/not enough.

Could be a suspension issue
Haha yeah, that's possible and exactly what I thought too but decided not to mention in case I got jumped with durrr it's safety replace whole braking system asap you moron

It was quite tough to measure accurately with regular digital calipers so I'm not quite sure if they're really unequally worn, but it's probably worth checking. I don't think it's a suspension thing as they were testing them on a stationary dyno type of thing is it should be out of the equation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
Thanks for all the brake line suggestions for my Ranger, guys and gals. I may end up making them myself as was suggested because that looks way less expensive than buying them pre-made.

I'll buy an extra length of line so I can practice making the ends before trying out the real deal, though. Plumbing has never been my strong suit. :laugh: