Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Erg
Oct 31, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

I am gonna level drg and shoot dragon lasers at people, then level smn and shoot different dragon lasers at people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

I am going to say yes, but not for some brokebrain fake nostalgia reason. I bought 1.0 and began in Gridania, and I took a long time to actually bother looking for goons, and I just kind of... muddled through the game and didn't really see what it had to offer. I know it wasn't great, but there were still some things I'd like to have seen proper.

What I got out of FFXIV 1.0:

A goobbue that you can't get any more (i hit 30 just for this). e: and a chocobo with some black tail feathers, i forgot about that
An $8 a month sub.
A cool ending with the moon crashing in to the ground.
Got to pal around with a few people and Panzer Faust made me some gear :3: I miss that guy.

I think I would've actually played it and got to see more of it if I hadn't started in Gridania and if I had sought out goons sooner. Call it morbid curiosity. I know it was bad. I experienced juuuust enough to know it was bad. I just never did enough to see what good was in it. Black Shroud was the loving worst though, god drat.

Also I want some of the 1.0 titles. :argh:

edit: Basically I'd play it for the same reason I re-bought FFXI like 12 years later, just wanting to see more of the thing I missed. But I wouldn't want FFXIV as it is now to go away for it.

Tsurupettan fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Jun 12, 2017

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I'd piss around in vanilla for a bit if they made it so the cursor and UI was client side

Everyman
Jun 4, 2009
Excalibur goons, I bring you all a new linkshell for the purpose of murdering excessive amounts of primals in Stormblood: Wreck-It Raiding.

It'll be a shell not just for farming, but also learning parties and nabbing first clears. We welcome everyone from goons trying to grind out a weapon for every class and nabbing mounts, to people looking to learn encounters and the folks who want to teach them.

Send a message in game to Quiz Zical or ask around on our discord to snag an invite.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
my buddy missed legacy status by like a single sub cycle and i make fun of him all the time for it

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Countblanc posted:

I'd piss around in vanilla for a bit if they made it so the cursor and UI was client side

but if they did that could you really call it the vanilla experience?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

my buddy missed legacy status by like a single sub cycle and i make fun of him all the time for it

ah, the mark of shame :v:

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Carmant posted:

Are dungeons in Heavensward noticeably different than the ARR ones. I just got to keeper of the lake and that was a hell of a lot more concise and entertaining than anything before it.. seems like there's a lot less trash and the final boss was really fun. Even compared to Snowcloak in the previous patch it was night and day. Save for a few back after release when dungeons were still relatively difficult, most of the dungeons in ARR were total slogs.

Yes. They have refined their dungeon-making quite a bit by that point.

Just be aware that the 53 dungeon may make you go, "...oh. I can't chainpull this poo poo on full Ironworks gear anymore, can I?" and you may need to upgrade your weapon to meet the DPS check at the end of the 55 dungeon. And just always keep updating your weapon whenever possible from there, because it will make the 57 and 59 dungeons go faster.

Waldean
Apr 27, 2005

Truga posted:

ah, the mark of shame :v:

The legacy tramp stamp?

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Carmant posted:

Are dungeons in Heavensward noticeably different than the ARR ones. I just got to keeper of the lake and that was a hell of a lot more concise and entertaining than anything before it.. seems like there's a lot less trash and the final boss was really fun. Even compared to Snowcloak in the previous patch it was night and day. Save for a few back after release when dungeons were still relatively difficult, most of the dungeons in ARR were total slogs.

They go back to being slogs really quickly, don't worry.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

ilifinicus posted:

samurai looks so hard to play well that my brain hurts just thinking about having to plan out my buttons 2 minutes in advance on the fly

I'll stick with dragoon

It seems fairly straightforward to me. I've still got some questions that I won't really have answered until I get to fiddle with a parser but I'm not seeing why you'd need to plan that far out? Is this some weird poo poo with trying to get perfect use of hagakure on cooldown or something?

sword_man.gif posted:

that part is 100% fake because the same media stuff they're using as a source for the weakness thing, you can also see in the level 64 synced dungeon a ninja has his 68/70 ability greyed out.

To play devil's advocate (and to be clear I think they're 100% fake as well), the system not being in the media tour and them not speaking about it doesn't necessarily mean they aren't doing it for a few reasons.

1. They don't actually consider it a big deal. It's a feature that only really immediately appeals to the players who have been playing this game for a long rear end time. They may want to keep it on the down-low because the optics of it look bad unless you are very clear about how the system will work and SE has never done that. The Reddit thread on the leak was overwhelmingly against this idea, for example, because they felt it would ruin the new player experience. But also because Reddit is loving trash and they hate good things. If SE is looking at SB as the chance to get new blood into the game again then a veteran oriented feature would be low on their priority list for advertising, which is what all this pre-launch nonsense is really.

2. The media tour build was from April. It is entirely possible the system just wasn't stable enough back then to be in the demo build. It also might be a feature they weren't 100% sure would manage to make it in time.

3. SE has a tendency to remain more or less silent on things all the time. The amount of information we have on crafting and gathering going into this expansion is abysmal. We've gotten maybe 4 sentences total on Eureka and that's supposed to be a huge piece of casual content, where anima weapons and anima armor are going to be gotten. There were new UI features (besides the class gauges) that we have no real idea what their function is going to be. We know there's a new potd coming and it will be more complex than old potd but who even knows what that means? Point is, SE isn't the most forthcoming with information and them not talking about it at all until tomorrow wouldn't be all that surprising.

Just want to reiterate that I think the leak is fake. If for no other reason than SE has really hated doing things I want recently so I would be shocked if they bucked that trend and finally let me have a full god drat rotation in sastasha instead of 2 buttons of despair.

Failboattootoot fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Jun 13, 2017

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

orcane posted:

They go back to being slogs really quickly, don't worry.

Nah. The post HW slogs aren't anywhere near as sloggy as the pre HW poo poo. Stone Vigil in particular just seems to last forever, not that it's a bad dungeon. Just a never-ending dungeon.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

I think if for like, an anniversary thing they let people play through accelerated 1.0 with increased EXP and gear drop rates that might be interesting.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
Every time I do ldr I always pray I don't get cutters cry. I hate that place. I can't even really say why, I just can't stand it and hate it more every time I get it.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Rhymenoserous posted:

Nah. The post HW slogs aren't anywhere near as sloggy as the pre HW poo poo. Stone Vigil in particular just seems to last forever, not that it's a bad dungeon. Just a never-ending dungeon.

The HW dungeon slogs are more because they're leveling dungeons and thus you can't cheese them past a certain point than any property of the actual dungeons.

And Stone Vigil is actually one of the more concise dungeons in ARR :v:

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

I've already acknowledged that I'm not good enough to hit these theoretical ideal rotations. I clip my dots and fat finger the wrong buttons and instead I just make sure I never gently caress up mechanics.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013

Carmant posted:

yeah, more or less. they up their game with a lot of stuff in heavensward. keeper is definitely a stand out and not quite every 4-man after that is as good in terms of fights and atmosphere, but the best 4-man content in the game is in the expansion. great gubal library is one of my favorite dungeons in any mmo

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
Hey guys, awesome news, Comcast decided to poo poo the bed this week! Cable's been out for the past two days, originally the entire cable service, but now the cable modem consistently resets every 10-15 minutes so I can't get a stable connection.

Not sure if ol' Baph is gonna be able to brave the new world of SB for the early launch :smith:

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Harrow posted:

:yeah: I want to blast things with magic and then stab them and then blast them again

:yeah:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Countblanc posted:

Shiva's stomp-into-drums is really only rivaled by Leviathan's "YOU CHALLENGE ME WITH TRICKERY?!" for phase transitions. Ravana has my favorite theme in general but those two just set up their phase two so perfectly.

T13 beats both of them tbh.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Whenever I'm tanking LLDR I seem to get loving brayflox longstop like 80% of the time. I'm level 49, wth duty finder

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Do we know any of-

- where RDM start is (I presume SAM is with that new guy with the Scions, can't recall his name)
- If characters in PotD will level to 70 or be stuck at 60 until some point in the future
- if we'll be able to download the patch before Thursday at any point

Guessing dunno, dunno and no but figured I'd post anyway

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Ciaphas posted:

Do we know any of-

- where RDM start is (I presume SAM is with that new guy with the Scions, can't recall his name)
- If characters in PotD will level to 70 or be stuck at 60 until some point in the future

- Ul'dah unless things change.
- Unknown as far as I know but I imagine you will still get real-job exp past 60 but will never go past 60 in PotD itself.
- Not as far as I know.

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

im nt posting wif a mark on my head

Ciaphas posted:

Do we know any of-

I'm going to say Alisaie Leveilleur?
Then again, maybe not, she disappears for awhile.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Pretty sure its been said that RDM NPC will be in Ul'dah region somewhere.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Ul'dah canonically confirmed to be the best city-state.

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

im nt posting wif a mark on my head

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Guess I'm logging off in Ul'dah on Wednesday.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
A good repost while we wait for tomorrow's live letter and divulging whatever Yoshi-P can divluge:

https://vtt.tumblr.com/tumblr_oo9bg1JcDF1u9t5z9_480.mp4

Cu Chulainn
Apr 27, 2011

It's great to get out of the lab

It's not too late for yearbook photos, right? 'Course not!

Vavato Vato
Voted Most Likely To Be Pedantic
"Actually, I just don't care."

Spuzzz
Mar 27, 2005

I have hit my head some many times I am surprised I can remember my own name.
It's never to late!

B'arhll Raha
I can never think of anything witty to put

I was thinking of going lala for SB for better cutscenes but i switched to elf recently so I could say I tried them all and I am really liking the look.

I am hella PEEVED
Oct 25, 2007

Welcome to Earth.

Khisanth Magus posted:

Every time I do ldr I always pray I don't get cutters cry. I hate that place. I can't even really say why, I just can't stand it and hate it more every time I get it.

I accident unlocked it well after I hit 60. i was just running around mining and a went oh a quest and unlocked it.

I kind of want to reroll now so I don't make the same mistake again.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Sinteres posted:

Ul'dah canonically confirmed to be the best city-state.

Merlwyb finally conquered the place? Thought it was never gonna happen.

Caeks
Dec 27, 2009

So wait, what are the SAM unlocking requirements?

And do we know for sure where to obtain the job at?

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Did Merlwyb even ever do anything for the entirety of the 3.x storyline? There was a good chunk of the plot that revolved around Raubahn, the sultana, and Ul'dah; while Kan-e-Senna at least visited the moogles and was involved in getting Y'shtola back, but all I remember Merlwyb doing was filling out some forms or something. I may have forgotten something though, was she important in any way?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Caeks posted:

So wait, what are the SAM unlocking requirements?

And do we know for sure where to obtain the job at?

You just need to have a single level 50 char and finished the ARR story.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
So hey, maybe I'm late to this, but it appears that the PSN has undone my preorder for Stormblood? I had heard this was happening to other people, so maybe it's a glitch, but I literally checked on this a couple days ago and it wasn't a problem. Is this a glitch? What's happening here, is this happening to anyone else?

EDIT: Okay it seems that this is a bug, but I was able to see that I still have Early Access on my services list so I guess I'm not gonna worry!

8-Bit Scholar fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Jun 13, 2017

Caeks
Dec 27, 2009

Okay nice. Currently at the lvl 59 MSQ portion and I don't know if I'll be able to finish the MSQ prior to Stormblood launching. I was going to stick with my MCH if I could be ready by Stormblood release, but looks like SAM it is.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Ciaphas posted:

Do we know any of-

SAM won't be learning form Gosetsu if for no other reason than it'd cause too many issues with the MSQ (as he'll be moving around a bunch in the SB story, I'm sure). While it's not impossible to make it work it'd a hell of a lot easier to just have a different NPC as your go-to for SAM job quests. The closest comparison would be Estinien but his involvement is pre-HW DRG quests which were all hammered out well before HW's development would've begun in earnest.

The real surprise would be if we don't get a Toshiro Mifune SAM NPC showing up in Stormblood.

e:

Caeks posted:

Okay nice. Currently at the lvl 59 MSQ portion and I don't know if I'll be able to finish the MSQ prior to Stormblood launching. I was going to stick with my MCH if I could be ready by Stormblood release, but looks like SAM it is.

You could get through the remaining MSQ in the next 2-3 days but it'd probably take several hours, minimum, each day to do so. If you're enjoying the story and don't care about trying to join the initial leveling rush then I'd say just try to hit 60 on MCH (shouldn't take long) and then do what little prep you can for your swap to SAM when the expansion hits.

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Jun 13, 2017

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Doing 3.3 MSQ right now. The WoL walking through the fleeing army to face Nidhogg is extremely hype.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caeks
Dec 27, 2009

Evil Fluffy posted:

You could get through the remaining MSQ in the next 2-3 days but it'd probably take several hours, minimum, each day to do so. If you're enjoying the story and don't care about trying to join the initial leveling rush then I'd say just try to hit 60 on MCH (shouldn't take long) and then do what little prep you can for your swap to SAM when the expansion hits.

I'm actually swamped with work related projects for the next couple of days and I'm not going to be able to do much else, unfortunately. I'm so close to finishing the MSQ that I could probably finish it on a single day off, but with Stormblood being so close, and from what I gather are ilvl requirements for finishing up the MSQ, I might as well just start SAM at release THEN finish up the MSQ.

I also left quests unfinished through my journeys in HW and it'll be nice to finish them up as SAM.

Edit:

While I'm not worried about gearing up my SAM, as I've acquired a huge chunk of MNK gear already - how does a new SAM go about collecting weapons while leveling 50-60? Does SE normally put new weapons for the new jobs in older instances?

Caeks fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Jun 13, 2017

• Locked thread