Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Firefly was pretty good when it came out. 15 years of being poorly imitated and having insufferable fans is enough to make any property sound awful in hindsight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
I thought the movie was about an alien I dunno what the gently caress I was smoking.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

reignofevil posted:

Sometimes in horror movies unpleasant things and themes happen tho right?

I don't care where you're going with this. The fact is, the Alien franchise is based on sexually coded violence. Obviously. And Alien and Aliens have one message about it, and Alien 3 has an extremely different message about it. And because Alien 3 is nominally a sequel to the first two and the conclusion of Ripley's story, and undoes the extremely positive message of those movies. I consider that more than enough cause to say Alien 3 is lovely.

If you think that Alien 3 is great because the director's cut isn't as boring as the theatrical cut, or because it's ridiculously grim and mean-spirited and you like that, or because you just love pointless jesus imagery shoved into a movie for no reason, that's fine.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Guy Goodbody posted:

undoes the extremely positive message of those movies.

good

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Guy Goodbody posted:

I don't care where you're going with this.

That's mean but it's honest so I'll accept it.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
positive things don't belong in horror, horror should always be about drowning in misery and everything being horrible and lovely and not be fun, human centipede series is a masterpiece of horror

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Hemingway To Go! posted:

positive things don't belong in horror, horror should always be about drowning in misery and everything being horrible and lovely and not be fun, human centipede series is a masterpiece of horror

*thumbs way up*

RedSpider
May 12, 2017

Guy Goodbody posted:

I don't care where you're going with this. The fact is, the Alien franchise is based on sexually coded violence. Obviously. And Alien and Aliens have one message about it, and Alien 3 has an extremely different message about it. And because Alien 3 is nominally a sequel to the first two and the conclusion of Ripley's story, and undoes the extremely positive message of those movies. I consider that more than enough cause to say Alien 3 is lovely.

If you think that Alien 3 is great because the director's cut isn't as boring as the theatrical cut, or because it's ridiculously grim and mean-spirited and you like that, or because you just love pointless jesus imagery shoved into a movie for no reason, that's fine.

cry more loser

The brooding nihilism of Alien 3 was much needed in the series after James Cameron's predictable (all important characters make it out alive) ending. Alien 3 also returned the xenomorph back into the terrifying stalker killing machine of the original instead of redshirt space bugs.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Veshpo posted:

IIRC was a writer on a bad early draft of Toy Story where they were all unlikable shitbags, especially Woody.
one of whedon's weaknesses is wanting everything to be dark and miserable, but he usually has the good fortune or foresight to be surrounded by people who stop him

there're several DVD commentaries where somebody says something like "Joss wanted to kill ______ here, and we (or his friends or the producers or the studio) had to fight pretty hard to talk him out of it. he loves darkness and wants everybody to be miserable" and joss is always like "yes, that is true."

that's why everybody dies in serenity. nobody was there to stop him. and dr horrible. and cabin in the woods.
and agent coulson. and not for story telling reasons obviously since he just brought him back
there was even a character from the first season of angel that only existed because whedon wanted to kill off a cast member who had an opening credit since like the first season of buffy, and he finally got to do it by making a character specifically to seem important and likable and then die. he probably wanted iron man to die, or pepper potts. he probably spent his time on Roseanne trying to kill. every script he turns in just like "no, Joss, we aren't going to let you kill Becky."

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
I mean it waaaaas becky and all.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'm sad that my lovecraft-inspired horror franchise set in a bleak corporate dystopia didn't have a happy ending.

Space Taxi
Oct 31, 2016
I was hoping Ripley would become prom queen. Bullshit franchise.

Veshpo
May 23, 2016

Baronjutter posted:

I'm sad that my lovecraft-inspired horror franchise set in a bleak corporate dystopia didn't have a happy ending.

Now more than ever, young girls need to see that a strong female protagonist can defeat the penis-shaped mouth rape monster.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

WampaLord posted:

Avengers is good :colbert:

I'm not here to defend my stance that The Avengers was one of the most mediocre entries in the entire MCU. All I'm claiming is that the writing was ENDLESS TRASH.

RedSpider
May 12, 2017

Veshpo posted:

Now more than ever, young girls need to see that a strong female protagonist can defeat the penis-shaped mouth rape monster.

RedSpider fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Jun 13, 2017

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Alien3 hosed up by not hiring Bob Hoskins for the warden.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Avengers was so hellbent on having bad Joss Whedon dialogue that every character is telepathic and the world ending is a comedy romp for people with families and loved ones.

Avengers making every character Tony Stark is only slightly less dumb than DC making every character grimdark broody angerface except the lovable wacky sidekick Batman.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

a bone to pick posted:

RAPE guys, it was about RAPE. She went from being RAPED to being ULTRA RAPED.

RAAAAAAAAPE!!

But enough about Jessica Jones

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

vermin posted:

But enough about Jessica Jones

jessica jones wasn't about rape, stop reading so much into things

Veshpo
May 23, 2016

"Everything is about rape, except rape." -Frank Underwood, television president

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

Isn't everything mostly lighthearted comedy romp in the comics as well? Generally speaking?

You'll have a world eating entity about to chomp down on some city and spiderman will make a quip or deadpool will fart loudly or whatever

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Fartbox posted:

Isn't everything mostly lighthearted comedy romp in the comics as well? Generally speaking?

You'll have a world eating entity about to chomp down on some city and spiderman will make a quip or deadpool will fart loudly or whatever

what? no, superhero comics are about rape

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

I reckon the avengers could use a pinch more rape

Maybe have Thor embrace his viking roots and just rape and enslave everyone

I Am A Robot
Jul 1, 2006

Space Taxi posted:

I was hoping Ripley would become prom queen. Bullshit franchise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzr8n3jYYD4

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
Why exactly does the spooky gooey monster movie have to be a sensitive and nuanced discussion about how rape survivors cope

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Hulk and Thor battling eachother for the prize of raping one another

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Each grointhrust sending out shockwaves shattering the buildings nearby

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

Zzulu posted:

Hulk and Thor battling eachother for the prize of raping one another

Does that make it consensual? These universes are getting so complicated

edit: Hulkbuster

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Cubone posted:

there was even a character from the first season of angel that only existed because whedon wanted to kill off a cast member who had an opening credit since like the first season of buffy, and he finally got to do it by making a character specifically to seem important and likable and then die.

This is wrong, by the way. Dude playing him was a junkie and left to go try get clean.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Cubone posted:

scream, scream for your lives

Slammed in the rear end by old horror movies.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Tony Stark working tirelessly on a new ironman hulkbuster suit with a pneumatic cock large enough to finally penetrate the Hulk...

To read more of my literature and the exciting continuation of Tony Starks efforts, please visit my webzone https://www.eugenicsisthefuture.net

Cubone
May 26, 2011

The Rabbi T. White posted:

This is wrong, by the way. Dude playing him was a junkie and left to go try get clean.

that doesn't help with the narrative I was building

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Rape is bad, but get this, Alien 3 was just kind of subpar.

Unlike anime. Anime is loving trash.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Also, more like Tony Snark.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
More like Tony Fart

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Paladinus posted:

Unlike anime. Anime is loving trash.

Utena was pretty good.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
More like Phony Shart.

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
As a rape survivor, my life was changed for the better after viewing the life affirming message of strength and hope sensitively discussed in the critically acclaimed rubber monster suit movies alien and aliens 2.

Imagine my distress when I popped aliens 3 into the vcr, ready to receive more therapeutic aid to help me, a rape survivor, find the 'new normal'. As this latest installment unfolded before my horrified eyes I realized the awful truth.... Instead of helping, watching this movie was like being raped all over agin!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
In safe-space, no one can hear you REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE.

• Locked thread