Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Cage posted:

Random, but the newer Doom game is a lot of fun. I'm still getting used to it though and whenever I come up to a new area with monsters my instinct is to hold my ground and shoot mans from afar, but I get wrecked and then advance and see that I missed out on a whole bunch of powerups and health. It really is so much more fun to run and jump around but its hard to get out of the military sim mindset.

Its also pretty and runs great. Whats with all the sparks though?

I just bought this cuz it was £9 on amazon but idk when ill get around to playing it cuz i cant quite pull myself away from bloodborne atm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

rdb posted:

What was the date code on that tire? The tread looks great and that kind of failure just shouldn't happen.

Dunno, but I bought them less than two years ago. Pictures I have up say 11/17 for the purchase date.

Also echoing the Doom is great. Even on console. I imagine it's better on mouse and keyboard. I'm stuck at the final boss.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Larrymer posted:

This exactly. New doom is awesome and fun. Never stop moving.

Yup. No sniping poo poo from cover, get in there and gently caress poo poo up.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

mariooncrack posted:

Is he just looking to cruise around? NC Miata might fit the bill. Maybe a convertible Mustang or Camaro?

Pretty much, yeah.

He's going to go look at a 10k mile 2013 Miata with a hardtop and the six-speed automatic today, it's listed at 21k. There is also a '98 Corvette with 38k miles locally listed for 17k. Worlds apart, those.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Doom owns but I need to get another ssd so I can finish it. I can have either 5 other open world games in my stream ssd folder, or Doom.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Doom imo

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Doom is superb, the engine is so smooth and solid. I made the mistake of picking it up after Titanfall 2 though which has the superior movement system, is faster and allows you to pilot a giant robot and punch people into a fine red mist. GOTY.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Gamechat: Just found out there's another Wolfenstein out in October. Hope it's good.

My parents are in Japan this week, and took a trip to the Toyota Megaweb in Odaiba today. At the Heritage Garage cafe, my dad was showing someone pictures of his current restoration projects, and got invited into the workshop to have a chat with the old guys who do the cars there:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Doom is superb, the engine is so smooth and solid. I made the mistake of picking it up after Titanfall 2 though which has the superior movement system, is faster and allows you to pilot a giant robot and punch people into a fine red mist. GOTY.

that reminds me that I need to get back in and play Titanfall 2 some more. I keep forgetting I have it when I try and decide what to play in my limited time. Currently in progress: Fallout 3, Borderlands (1), Akham Origins, Just Cause 3, Saints Row IV, LEGO Dimensions (which never ends - they keep adding stuff), GTA V, and probably more I'm forgetting. On the shelf, unplayed: COD:BLOPS 3, Halo 5, and who knows what else in the "Games With Gold". Several Steam games on my PC, and they just opened the Quake beta back up.

InitialDave posted:

Gamechat: Just found out there's another Wolfenstein out in October. Hope it's good.

In honor of that, BJ Blaskowicz is a playable character in the Quake Beta, BTW.

quote:

My parents are in Japan this week, and took a trip to the Toyota Megaweb in Odaiba today. At the Heritage Garage cafe, my dad was showing someone pictures of his current restoration projects, and got invited into the workshop to have a chat with the old guys who do the cars there:

Oh, that's awesome.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Darchangel posted:

Dunno, but I bought them less than two years ago. Pictures I have up say 11/17 for the purchase date.

Also echoing the Doom is great. Even on console. I imagine it's better on mouse and keyboard. I'm stuck at the final boss.

Hello future Darchangel! :v:

You still have those tires? The manufacturer warranty is probably still in effect, and if that's not related to the odd wear, you may be able to get a new one.

If you got them at Discount and have certificates, Discount covers them for 3 years from the date of purchase.

Goober Peas posted:

Add me to the sick on Monday club. I woke up early this morning spraying out both ends. So far have been able to keep a glass of sprite down, anything else leads to more spraying.

Oh good I'm not the only one. :barf: Went to work for about an hour and a half before I packed it in.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

InitialDave posted:

I loved visiting those old dudes in their workshop. Everyone should go to the Toyota vintage museum.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Holy poo poo, the Miata is fixed!

Huge props to Mekilljoydamnit for donating parts! I owe you a beer!

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people
So snapped the chain on the first ride of that stance 1 I bought. 2 mile walk back to the car. Guess I learned my first spare parts lesson.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
My dad and I went car shopping the other day. One of the dealerships seemed to have a lot of cars that haven't moved in awhile. There were a lot of vehicles with rust on the rotors, some cars seemed to have more rust than not rust.

That's probably not a good sign is it?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Sadi posted:

So snapped the chain on the first ride of that stance 1 I bought. 2 mile walk back to the car. Guess I learned my first spare parts lesson.

drat. That sounds like the shop didn't have it set up right. I've only snapped one chain in 15k+ miles, and that was just recently... and only because I had been using my 11 speed bike on the Kickr with a 10 speed cassette over the winter. I think I flared out the chain and made it go boom.

New bikes should not do that.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Seminal Flu posted:

drat. That sounds like the shop didn't have it set up right. I've only snapped one chain in 15k+ miles, and that was just recently... and only because I had been using my 11 speed bike on the Kickr with a 10 speed cassette over the winter. I think I flared out the chain and made it go boom.

Probably a manufacturing defect.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

nm posted:

Probably a manufacturing defect.

Or that. Either way, an infant mortality failure is a sad way to start bike ownership.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

mariooncrack posted:

My dad and I went car shopping the other day. One of the dealerships seemed to have a lot of cars that haven't moved in awhile. There were a lot of vehicles with rust on the rotors, some cars seemed to have more rust than not rust.

Rust on rotors is meaningless, rain and a few hours is all it takes to form. A couple stops is all it takes to remove.

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

What are you lookin at...

Ferremit posted:

Busy weekend! Got all of the ground floor walls in the shed insulated and clad!

First step was to make some more room in the shed, so the BFG AT's for the cruiser had to go up onto the mezzanine. Things are about 50kg each fitted up so had to get creative on the lifting solution...

With that all the materials were stacked up ready to go, and the great poo poo shuffle dance began.

I should stop buying batteries. Apparently I have enough.

Finished running the air lines inside the wall. Using 3/4" Blue line Poly. Its rated to 1600kpa!

Then we got to play itch like a motherfucker and insulated the thing. Because the walls got a 70mm thick wall from the shed frame and a 90mm stud wall in front of it, we insulated both walls to get more soundproofing since this is the machinery shop end.

And finally after three solid days work, its all finished off. I went back later and fitted up the network port after i found it in my stash of crap in the office.

Garage is looking awesome dude

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

What are you lookin at...

Olympic Mathlete posted:

1G-GTE is not enough engine to get these cars moving. Also the version of the car that engine comes in is the narrowbody which looks loving weird. 'standard' is the widebody on 7MGE, 7MGTE, 1JZ versions.

narrowbody 1G:

^^ also accurate. Source: I own one with the 7M which as mentioned does indeed eat head gaskets. I had the head on mine worked over and fitted a metal head gasket along with ARP bolts and then a week later beat the poo poo out of it on a track so it's solid now. Head reassembly is annoying as the spaces to actual fit the bolts and such are tiny so you essentially have to assemble the bolts as you're putting the head on. Very heavy cars as standard, as mentioned they're a GT car but find a solid one and they're actually a really nice drive though the stock suspension is soft and has massive amounts of travel so it rolls hilariously round corners though it takes serious effort to get it to lose grip. And never touch an auto (same goes for any car really), the W58 and R154 boxes are agricultural at best, notchy and not smooth but definitely solid. Also these have a lot of brake disc because they're fat but not quite enough caliper to stop them quickly.

If you can grab one for not much money and don't mind the possibility of the head going up on you then go ahead. Parts availability in the US is still pretty great with nothing being too stupid money wise. Also straight 6 noises are good times no matter what the car. Pre-facelift (as in the bumper on the photo above) is the best looking.

Cheers. I'm in New Zealand. Probably not gonna go with a Supra due to the weight & also the one I found that looked affordable was a bit rusty and I already have one 1980s Toyota rust bucket in my life, that's enough for now.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

mariooncrack posted:

Rotors get surface rust if you park overnight in a humid area; if you're in the desert they'll still rust anytime it rains or if it's parked near sprinklers when they run. Cars at a dealer will often sit for weeks at a time, maybe even months, depending on the options and dealer volume. I know my own car was built in June of 2005, but wasn't titled to the original owner until October; it also sat on a used lot for about 5 weeks before I got it. The porters aren't going to be driving it enough for the pads to remove the rust (they're only going to move it around to rearrange the cars or to wash it).

You'd never know the rust was there after 1 or 2 decent stops.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people

Seminal Flu posted:

It was a 2 year old used bike. I don't know if it matters but the chain unloaded while shifting down two gears. When the chain hooked I was in the middle of a down stroke and the front tire had just hit a root. Seems like kind of worst case for chain tension to me.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
The wife likes the Gorester and understands why I bought it.

drat guys I think I'm doing alright.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Sadi posted:

It was a 2 year old used bike. I don't know if it matters but the chain unloaded while shifting down two gears. When the chain hooked I was in the middle of a down stroke and the front tire had just hit a root. Seems like kind of worst case for chain tension to me.

It was a worn out chain and you probably need to adjust your derailleurs.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Can we all discuss for a moment the stupidity of artificial scarcity in a given product? With the kids getting older my wife recently commented how it would be nice to get a Nintendo system to play mario/mariokart etc.
Not being gamers in the least sense I looked at the current offerings which I know nothing about. I remember the Wii being cool; and Wii Sports would be perfect for the kids. Apparently the Wii U is all backwards compatible! Neat! Oh, it's discontinued; I'll look at used ones. $220! What the hell? What's the new one? A Switch? *watches brief video, blown away* sweet! Only $299! Worth it over the old model for sure.

And impossible to find. Everywhere. All the time. It was released months ago, will they ever get supply up to meet demand? Are they purposely not making enough because they are losing :homebrew: for every unit they sell? Explain to me, a non gamer why would they do this? Why is the Wii U still so dumb expensive? I'd probably buy a Switch even at a $500 price point if I could just walk in and buy one. Doesn't seem to be a shortage of any other gaming systems.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Nintendo often seems to have their collective heads up their asses. Just look at the supply issues with the NES Classic.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Rhyno posted:

Nintendo often seems to have their collective heads up their asses. Just look at the supply issues with the NES Classic.

Not just supply issues, but responding to the supply issues and people being unable to get them by discontinuing it despite huge demand.

I'm not likely to ever bother with another of their products because of stuff like that, their offerings all seem to end up behind the tech curve or just plain impossible to get because they somehow continue to underestimate demand on everything in TYOOL 2017.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Just ask, in TYOOL 2017, how Nintendo intends voicechat and party matchmaking to work with their fancy new console and robust *PAID* premium online service. It's so profoundly stupid that it sounds like their online service, that hasn't been launched yet, was legitimately designed to work on the Gamecube and Wii. No joke, Xbox Live on the OG Xbox was better designed

I have so much more to shout about in regards to Nintendo being painfully out of touch, but suffice it to say, they're anticonsumer dickholes that I won't purchase another product from

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Imagine you had a time machine, you could go back 25 years and get a job at Software Etc. and shake your head sadly at every sweaty parent Kramering into the store hilariously optimistically trying to buy the Nintendo 64 display box on December 20th and you just chortle sadly at them and suggest perhaps Junior's Xmas present actually wanted to be a PS1 or a Sega Saturn or even a lol Atari Jaguar, all of which you have literally hundreds of, or in fact anything that isn't going to lead him down a life of being a sad and mocked Nintendonter because of that same dumbass marketing gimmick they've been running since ever.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Artificial market scarcity is the weirdest thing to me, who does it actually help? I used to buy a lot of footwear and x company (usually Nike) would do a limited run of say 500 pairs of boots for £150 a pair. These would obviously sell out immediately and appear on ebay for £300 a pair and they'd usually all sell within minutes.

So it seems to me like the only people who win in this sort of situation are scalpers, at least double the profit for just turning up to a shop/clicking things online. ...but if Nike sold 1000 pairs they'd still sell out in no time and they'd be just as popular so why not go for a decent run on them?

Someone with a business head explain this sort of thing to me because I don't get it. I understand creating a buzz about your stuff being R@RE!! and I understand wanting the people who buy it to feel somewhat privileged to own a limited run but from a purely cash point of view selling more makes more sense, surely?

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Jun 13, 2017

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Ferrari's old attitude was always correct: ONE less than the market will bear is optimum for desirability vs revenue.

Remember when Renault made more Clio Williams variants, and the investment types got all upset about it? :laugh:

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Artificial market scarcity is the weirdest thing to me, who does it actually help? I used to buy a lot of footwear and x company (usually Nike) would do a limited run of say 500 pairs of boots for £150 a pair. These would obviously sell out immediately and appear on ebay for £30 a pair and they'd usually all sell within minutes.

So it seems to me like the only people who win in this sort of situation are scalpers, at least double the profit for just turning up to a shop/clicking things online. ...but if Nike sold 1000 pairs they'd still sell out in no time and they'd be just as popular so why not go for a decent run on them?

Someone with a business head explain this sort of thing to me because I don't get it. I understand creating a buzz about your stuff being R@RE!! and I understand wanting the people who buy it to feel somewhat privileged to own a limited run but from a purely cash point of view selling more makes more sense, surely?

Branding and value perception.

If people think that some £150 Nike trainers are 'worth' £300 then, in their mind, there must be a value to any Nike-branded trainers

So, even the £75 ones must be worth at least £75 to the buyer's mind and so they sell 10,000s of units.

Unlike cars, where a Bugatti can be shown to have a value much higher than a Volkswagen, If people ever sat down and realised that all trainers cost <£10, then Nike would lose a shitload of money.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

lol Tony Abbott (former Australian Prime Minister and complete right wing fuckwit) drives a piece of poo poo late 90s Jaguar S-Type

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

spog posted:

Branding and value perception.

If people think that some £150 Nike trainers are 'worth' £300 then, in their mind, there must be a value to any Nike-branded trainers

So, even the £75 ones must be worth at least £75 to the buyer's mind and so they sell 10,000s of units.

Unlike cars, where a Bugatti can be shown to have a value much higher than a Volkswagen, If people ever sat down and realised that all trainers cost <£10, then Nike would lose a shitload of money.

But sell more @£150 = get more cash...? That's the bit I fall down on. Nike WILL sell whatever amount they pump out there, especially so if they're a limited run so why not double the run length and just make a stack more money selling your £10 trainers for £150 a pop? I guess at some point your company is so huge and profitable that money doesn't matter too much and it's all purely a marketing exercise?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Olympic Mathlete posted:

But sell more @£150 = get more cash...? That's the bit I fall down on. Nike WILL sell whatever amount they pump out there, especially so if they're a limited run so why not double the run length and just make a stack more money selling your £10 trainers for £150 a pop? I guess at some point your company is so huge and profitable that money doesn't matter too much and it's all purely a marketing exercise?

There is a limited pool of people willing to pay £150+, compared to those willing to pay £50-100

i.e. if Nike sells 500 pairs or 5,000 pairs at £150, it's still a lot less profit than they make on the other 120M pairs they sell annually.

If they sell only 500 pairs they earn £75k.
If they sold everything the market would bear (5,000), they'd make £750k (using your illustrative numbers)

However, the first method creates a buzz about the brand and artificially raises the brand value in the customer's mind and so the 120M pairs can be sold at £80, instead of £30/ per pair, since customers think the Nike brand is worth something. Multiply by 120M pairs and that is a huge benefit.

You wouldn't get the same buzz if they merely sold 5k @ £150 or £300

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
But that's the "halo product" approach, which is like selling high end cars.

With Nintendo, they're limiting supply and meaning huge numbers of people who want exactly that item can't have one.

They don't want the other product(s) available, they don't gain a favourable brand perception. They want that item, they don't get it, it annoys them.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

@spog ^^ cool, makes more sense to me now. I just hate when they do it.

I just took a look at their sales numbers and they pulled in $32 billion last year. That's loving crazy money for some leather and bits of clothing. I'm also still waiting on those self-lacing sneaks and the general run of Mags they said they'd drop years ago.

In other news whilst flicking through instagram whilst taking a poo poo at work I come across a picture about 'cleansing your colon' and in the comments an argument about whether it's required or not. One guy going full ham suggesting that your butt has old poop in it and gets blocked so you need to cleanse it. How do people not know how their butts work?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Olympic Mathlete posted:

In other news whilst flicking through instagram whilst taking a poo poo at work I come across a picture about 'cleansing your colon' and in the comments an argument about whether it's required or not. One guy going full ham suggesting that your butt has old poop in it and gets blocked so you need to cleanse it. How do people not know how their butts work?

I'm just flat out sure that Facebok is the more intelligent social media platform (like that's saying much given the volume of purestain retarded bullshit it has) and it just gets more outright loving stupid down from there. It's weeeeell past the point of just "old man yells at clouds", social media is just genuinely toxic

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

"How else do I get the hamster out of there?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spog
Aug 7, 2004

InitialDave posted:

But that's the "halo product" approach, which is like selling high end cars.

Yeah, but the point I am trying to make is that you can have a halo product for a particular car brand by making a better car: e.g. you make Ford Focus RS with a more powerful engine and better suspension and that brings up the brand perception of the Ford Focus and also Ford in general.

You can't do that with trainers because unless you cover them with diamonds, there is no physical difference between the 'best' trainers and the mid-level ones. Doesn't matter if we are talking about different trainers within the Nike brand, or between different min- top- level brands: Same tech, same build quality, same features. There is nothing you can do to justify an increased selling price.

If you want to sell expensive trainers, you have to do stuff like limited editions and celebrity endorsement because there is no alternative.

quote:

With Nintendo, they're limiting supply and meaning huge numbers of people who want exactly that item can't have one.

They don't want the other product(s) available, they don't gain a favourable brand perception. They want that item, they don't get it, it annoys them.

I always felt that this was simply a production limitation the first time it happened and the buzz it created was a happy accident, rather than clever marketing, for the console makers.
A bit like how everyone mentions the 7 year waiting list for Morgans and that it must mean it is a very desirable car, rather than the long wait being caused it being made in a shed by old farts using their grandad's woodworking tools.

• Locked thread