Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

karl marx-marx, prominent german conservative politician

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

what if karl marx was a dog

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Baron Corbyn posted:

That people think Corbyn is far left is really an indictment of how far right political thought has shifted. The fact that Lord Owen who split from the party over Foot endorsed Corbyn should be enough to show that without having to start comparing the Labour manifesto to Foot's suicide note.

Admittedly Owen has gone a bit to the left as he has gotten older. But the point still stands.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Karl Barks posted:

what if karl marx was a dog

Karl Barks

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
In the same vein

Hugo Rifkind posted:

If anybody ever tries to tell you that the media smeared Jeremy Corbyn — that he was actually a warm, brilliant, engaging statesman all along, and we all knew, and we lied, because we’re partisan neoliberal bastards — then I’d suggest you refer them to a video from September 2015, in which he walks along a pavement, for ages, in moonlight, furiously saying nothing at all.

That evening, the new leader of the opposition had just appointed his first shadow cabinet and all the senior roles had gone to men. A little earlier, his team had been overheard behind a closed door in parliament saying, quote, “we are taking a fair amount of poo poo out there about women. We need to do a Mandelson. Let’s make Angela shadow first minister of state.” Outside, does he laugh it off? Admit he’s on a learning curve? No. He scowls, and stares ahead, and walks, and walks. Clop-clop go his shoes, getting faster, and faster, over the occasional muted sound of political journalists asking a politician wholly legitimate political questions. Clop-clop.

The media also did not fabricate Corbyn’s quivering rage over that bizarre fight about whether he did, or didn’t, once have to sit on the floor for a bit on a train from London to Newcastle. It’s still on YouTube. It didn’t go away, just because they took Kensington. When an ITV reporter asked him a year ago whether wanted there to be a general election, nobody forced him to say, irritably, “I’m being harassed!”, before storming off to hide behind what turned out to be, awkwardly, a glass door. This is who Jeremy Corbyn was. He was tetchy and he was incompetent, and if anybody with any sense was going to vote for him, then everything any of us knew about anything was wrong.

Well. Forty per cent of the vote later, here we are, and post-election, exactly who those voters were doesn’t really matter. That narrative, pre-election, of the non-Corbyn Labour vote? The whole “I voted for my local candidate, so as to provide moderate internal opposition” line? Expect that to disintegrate, utterly. You cannot be a bit dead, and you cannot be a bit pregnant, and you cannot vote, a bit, for Labour. The anti-Corbyn Labour vote and the pro-Corbyn Labour vote both end up in the same column, piling up as a ringing endorsement of Corbyn’s Labour. Which is probably fair enough. When your coalition of support is so broad as to include people who could tell themselves they were actively voting against you, you have pulled off a pretty drat impressive political coup.

I wonder, though, how many Labour voters really were voting in spite of Corbyn by the end. The man who finished this campaign, in so many ways, was not the man who began it. Katy Brand, the comedian, put it very well on Radio 4 this weekend, when she described seeing him on The One Show. “I ran into the kitchen to get my husband,” she said. “And I said, ‘Come quickly, darling, come look! Something’s happened to Jeremy Corbyn! He’s.... smiling!’” Where once there had been all the eye-rolling weariness of the substitute teacher with Blu Tack flicked into his hair, now there was a twinkling eye and charm.

Charm isn’t just spin. Charm is political. Unflinching principles and charm do not go together easily, because the logical conclusion of having unflinching principles is disapproval of people with other ones. For Corbyn, who famously divorced his wife of 12 years because they disagreed over whether their son should go to a grammar school, putting charm first was a major political concession.

For me, thinking back, a pivotal moment in this election came during Corbyn’s interview with Jeremy Paxman, when Paxman, in full Spanish inquisition mode, asked him why the Labour manifesto included nothing on Corbyn’s long-held ambition of scrapping the monarchy. “There’s nothing in there because we’re not going to do it,” retorted Corbyn, visibly amused. Hidden beneath the audience’s guffaws, this was the sound of a man wryly acknowledging the fundamental impracticality of his own radicalism. All of a sudden, Jeremy Corbyn was a moderate.

If compromise was in Jeremy Corbyn’s DNA, then he wouldn’t have spent three decades on the backbenches, condemning every effort a succession of despairing Labour leaders made to make their party more electable. Once electability became his problem, though, he seems to have picked up a taste for it. On the stump, a lifetime’s commitment to unilateral nuclear disarmament (even as a vice-chair of CND), retreated last year to “I wouldn’t personally use them” and last month, quite astonishingly, to something more like, “I certainly wouldn’t use them first”. Greenham Common it ain’t. More striking still was his response to the London Bridge attack, where having previously quite explicitly opposed a police shoot-to-kill policy, pretty much for ever, he now found himself explicitly supporting one. It was as if he had realised, finally, that to achieve broad electoral support you need to make the odd concession. “Took you long enough, Grandpa”, a generation of Blairites might have said.

For Corbyn’s hard core, the real enemy has never been the Tories. They don’t really notice the Tories. Rather, they see a hated coalition of political and media Corbynsceptics who, they fervently believe, have smeared a good man as cranky and unelectable because it is easier than opposing his policies. This simply isn’t true. Labour didn’t win this election, but Corbyn did far better than almost anybody ever expected, probably including him. He didn’t do well because his critics were wrong, but because, belatedly, he realised they were absolutely right.

Want to stop people deriding you as a disaster? The very best strategy is to stop being one. Look at him now. It really works. Somebody should tell Theresa May.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

It's more that Obama's personality-driven campaigns worked because he actually has a likeable personality and can easily play the cool & measured statesman. It played to his strengths as a candidate. Jim Messina thought that was a proven program for success that could work for anybody.

Obama had charisma, and the electorate in the US is close enough that charisma can carry you to a win, and not having charisma means a likely loss (See Hillary, Kerry, Gore)

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

tarbrush posted:

In the same vein

i couldn't make it half way through the article because lol. :qq: he won't talk to us he's so mean and he hates women despite his first shadow cabinet having more than 50% women

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Jose posted:

i couldn't make it half way through the article because lol. :qq: he won't talk to us he's so mean and he hates women despite his first shadow cabinet having more than 50% women

I like that part of his evidence that Corbyn is more of a "warm, brilliant and engaging statesman" now is that he's more likely to use nukes. loving lol

Also continuing to peddle the bullshit about shoot to kill

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
marxy marx and the funky bunch

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

for the americans who read this thread and maybe don't know. the traditional 4 big roles are PM, chancellor of the exchequer, foreign secretary and home secretary. Despite the fact corbyn even created some new ministerial roles and picked women for them and ended up with over 50% of his shadow cabinet being women the press slated him for being sexist. As BoJo's constant gently caress ups have shown since he was made foreign secretary its a fairly pointless role this days. THe health secretary is in charge of the biggest budget of any minister

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

may made bojo foreign secretary but created a new ministerial position to do the most important part of his job and put someone else in it lol

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

lomarf

https://twitter.com/people4bernie/status/874185360716189696

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

maybe now we'll stop hearing about cambridge analytica phrenology lol

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

You, small and old brain: Ah yes let's buy out all the google ads and link to our website for anything even slightly political related.

Me, large and cool brain: Let's screenshot them doing that and take the piss out of them on Twitter and Facebook.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
I dunno. I've noticed a significant improvement in his media performance, he's ditched the trident stuff reasonably gracefully, he's opened up to critics rejoining the front bench and his policies have become a lot more focused and positive. The free school meals from private school VAT really cut through.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

tarbrush posted:

he's opened up to critics rejoining the front bench

do you think this was a change on Corbyn's part

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
remember when John Oliver said public ownership was bad lol

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

exmarx posted:

remember when John Oliver said public ownership was bad lol

i dont

please share

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO

Angepain posted:

do you think this was a change on Corbyn's part

Fair point actually, you're probably right.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

did john oliver seriously praise Theresa May after her catastrophic election?

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Nonsense posted:

did john oliver seriously praise Theresa May after her catastrophic election?

I don't think it rises to the level of praise, but he was surprisingly sympathetic.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Peel posted:

karl marx-marx, prominent german conservative politician

the fifth marx brother

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

old people not understanding adblock shocker

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

so enthused to share some cracking anti-corbyn memes with my chums next election

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

Captain_Maclaine posted:

I don't think it rises to the level of praise, but he was surprisingly sympathetic.

Another liberal woman leader brought down by the leftist ironykamikaze bros.

TomViolence has issued a correction as of 22:41 on Jun 12, 2017

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

https://twitter.com/Kevin_Maguire/status/873878042166390784

When's the last time Sinn Fein went to Westminster?

Digiwizzard
Dec 23, 2003

Pork Pro
Everyone will erupt with cheers as Sinn Feins music plays when they enter the chamber.. but what's this?? Gerry Adams is wearing a bowlers hat! And he just hit Jeremy Corbyn with a folding chair!!! Sinn Fein have joined the tories!?

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Digiwizzard posted:

Everyone will erupt with cheers as Sinn Feins music plays when they enter the chamber.. but what's this?? Gerry Adams is wearing a bowlers hat! And he just hit Jeremy Corbyn with a folding chair!!! Sinn Fein have joined the tories!?

BAH GAWD! THAT MAN HAD A PARTY! STOP! JUST STOP!

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

Taintrunner posted:

BAH GAWD! THAT MAN HAD A PARTY! STOP! JUST STOP!

IT WAS ME, CORBYN! IT WAS ME ALLLLLLL ALONG

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers

They regularly do so.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

skaboomizzy posted:

IT WAS ME, CORBYN! IT WAS ME ALLLLLLL ALONG

https://twitter.com/thejoshl/status/874453624180682753

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
They aren't just going to Westminster.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/37860...y-dup-majority/

quote:

The party confirmed that its MPs will travel to Westminster for the House of Commons induction day for newcomers and will sign up for office space, register for staff allowances and expenses – despite their century-long policy of abstention in the UK Parliament.

Do they usually do that stuff too?

If there was ever a reason, preventing May from restarting the Northern Ireland conflict just to prop up her doomed government is a great one.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

hakimashou has issued a correction as of 08:09 on Jun 13, 2017

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4_Yrwb4rh8

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Karl Barks posted:

"Balfour trained as a philosopher – he originated an argument against believing that human reason could determine truth – and was seen as having a detached attitude to life, epitomised by a remark attributed to him: "Nothing matters very much and few things matter at all"."

hmm this guy is pretty cspam

dude was straight-up too intelligent to be a PM, especially a Tory PM

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
bojo?

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

PostNouveau posted:

Yes.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Balfour, but yeah him too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers

PostNouveau posted:

They aren't just going to Westminster.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/37860...y-dup-majority/

If there was ever a reason, preventing May from restarting the Northern Ireland conflict just to prop up her doomed government is a great one.

Yep they all keep offices and staff them and claim expenses for running them and for renting out London residences (which the British press and NI unionists have hilarious intermittent meltdowns over)