Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot

my dad posted:

Watch and see.

I see what you did there.

But more seriously, my own testing has shown that a gremlin can sometimes sneak up on a troll with zero observation skill and get a hit in, but having some observation skill seems to mitigate this. Also the wiki says you take reduced penalties when attacked on the flanks if you have the skill, but it doesn't give any numbers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Coupled with decent dodging skill, observer makes you much better at getting out of the way.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Anyhow this game sucked and I'm glad our commissioners have all passed away so we can stop doing this dumb thing

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!

Bad Munki posted:

Anyhow this game sucked and I'm glad our commissioners have all passed away so we can stop doing this dumb thing

Arena Challenge website posted:

This tournament is currently waiting for Round 2 to start.

Once the new round has started, players will be unable to modify any fighters that are participating in this tournament until after the round has completed.

Only administrators have the authority to start a new round.

:shrug:

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

A failing tournament. #SAD!

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
I want to murder Bad Munki!

RandomMagus
May 3, 2017

Jazzimus Prime posted:

I see what you did there.

But more seriously, my own testing has shown that a gremlin can sometimes sneak up on a troll with zero observation skill and get a hit in, but having some observation skill seems to mitigate this. Also the wiki says you take reduced penalties when attacked on the flanks if you have the skill, but it doesn't give any numbers.

Observation skill also gives a player warnings that an attack is incoming so you can dodge or parry or grab it, but I'm not sure how the AI handles that.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Whoops, I became Marshall of my nation and led a huge war instead of doing an arena fight.

I will pick it up on Monday! The war, not arena fights

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
It's the weekend.

We're fighting more tonight.

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot

The fighters appear to have all been updated, so I unlocked the second round. Go ahead and run one if you have the time!

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
:siren: Round 2, Fight 3 :siren:

aka The Race for Last Place

Well, this is awkward is on the left side of the arena.
Muffin (Spermy Smurf) is a male troll. He is empty handed and wears a bronze helm, leather armor, a bronze mail shirt, iron greaves, bronze gauntlets, and iron high boots.
Grace (iLonie) is a female gremlin. She wields a steel large dagger and wears a leather cap, leather armor, an iron mail shirt, leather leggings, leather gauntlets, and leather high boots.
Spermy Smurf delenda est (goatface) is a male dark gnome. He wields an adamantine large dagger and a wooden buckler and wears no armor.

TINY TITANS is on the right side of the arena.
OH NO (dmboogie) is a male gremlin. He wields a steel whip and wears no armor.
PETER GRIFFIN (Verbal Enema) is a male gremlin. He wields a silver whip and wears a leather cap and a copper mail shirt.
Squeakin (grobbendonk) is a male dark gnome. He wields an iron whip and wears a copper helm, an iron breast plate, iron greaves, iron gauntlets, and iron high boots.

Well, this is awkward is a 1.59 to 1 betting favorite in this match with 400.00 dwarfbucks in total bets placed on them, compared to 251.00 dwarfbucks for TINY TITANS.

It's the battle of whips vs daggers, with a useless troll thrown in for leavening. TINY TITANS are all expert whip users. Well, this is awkward is more diverse; they have a wrestling troll, a gremlin confidently wielding a dagger like a sword, and a gnome who grabbed the shiniest thing he could find.

The fight starts along racial lines, with Grace ramming a dagger into OH NO while evading PETER GRIFFIN. The two gnome face off with Squeakin taking an early advantage.

Muffin takes offense to being left out and staves in the head of OH NO.

Squeakin, still locked in the gnome duel, manages a paralyzing blow. delenda, who spent all their points on an adamantine dagger they don't know how to use, loses hold of it before managing to spill blood once again.

It's now down to a pair of 1v1 battles. Muffin grapples ineffectively at Squeakin while PETER GRIFFIN and Grace trade a series of minor wounds.

Squeakin tries to hit Muffin in the head but he keeps taking it on the tusks.

delenda manages to crawl over to the gremlin fight, biting at the hamstring of PETER and doing serious damage. Grace takes advantage of the exposed right foot and lops it off.

The tenacious Squeakin finally managed a palpable hit by damaging Muffin's lungs, one of the few weak points on a troll. However, it's far too late as PETER bleeds out and it's now a 3v1.

The dark gnome might have managed against two weakened enemies, but a largely untouched Grace slips in and takes out one of his legs. Squeakin then loses a hand and it's only a few moments before he bleeds out.

:siren: Well, this is awkward confirms that whips are still terrible with a 3-0 victory! TINY TITANS are eliminated with 0 kills! :siren:

KILLS

Muffin: 1
Grace: 2

Combat log

A second TINY TITANS team airdropped into the arena managed to take out the wounded team without losses, so this match was much closer.

Added Space fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Jun 12, 2017

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot
Hmmm.

Yeah, we might beef up whips a little more for the next one. Not all the way back to the unmodded values where they were armor-ignoring lightsabers, but a little.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
I mean, the fact that the whips are being wielded by gremlins and a dark gnome may have something to do with it. Size is a direct multiplier in the combat damage formula.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
There's already been one kill with a whip so far, and it was against the team that handily won that contest. It's likely a size thing.

grobbendonk
Apr 22, 2008

jon joe posted:

I mean, the fact that the whips are being wielded by gremlins and a dark gnome may have something to do with it. Size is a direct multiplier in the combat damage formula.

You could use this arguement for any weapon used by the small races, but if they're getting kills more regularly with other weapons then it points to a problem with whip damage.

If whips are equally deadly as other weapons, then the size multiplier should be tweaked in favour of the little guy, otherwise there wont be any point in taking a small guy over a large guy apart from thematically.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
goddamnit PETER GRIFFIN

Maybe I'll make you a fat human

Can make my next time fighter fat

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

grobbendonk posted:

You could use this arguement for any weapon used by the small races, but if they're getting kills more regularly with other weapons then it points to a problem with whip damage.

If whips are equally deadly as other weapons, then the size multiplier should be tweaked in favour of the little guy, otherwise there wont be any point in taking a small guy over a large guy apart from thematically.

A team with 2 gremlins easily won a tournament. To use your fighter properly, you need to understand their strengths and weaknesses, and leverage them/compensate for them. Whips are a weapon that greatly relies on mass and strength of the wielder. Not all weapons do. Hint hint.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

It feels like- on a gut level anyway- axes benefit from the force transfer change. That large impact zones and heavy materials might translate into them being slashy hammers idk.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
drat, it looks like the small species are having more trouble than ever in the new build.

Bad Munki posted:

Basically you can all go home, the thread is dead at this point. Vox lied, thread died.

Hi.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Imposter!

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

We know you're a poster. You :justpost: ed.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

AJ_Impy posted:

We know you're a poster. You :justpost: ed.

He poster, you py.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

Vox Nihili posted:

drat, it looks like the small species are having more trouble than ever in the new build.

Hi.

whooooaaaaaaa

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
So the thread isn't actually dead, right?

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

jon joe posted:

So the thread isn't actually dead, right?

Nah, our only reliable commissioner just doesn't work weekends

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
^ :smith:

:siren: Round 2, Fight 1 :siren:

The Regular Crowd is on the left side of the arena.
J. Corbzy (Frozen_Flame) is a female soldier ant woman. She wields a platinum whip and wears a steel helm and steel gauntlets.
2 Dark Gnomes in a StranglMech (AJ_Impy) is a male strangler. He wields an iron scourge and a wooden shield and wears no armor.
Another one of Heygal's Guys (Splode) is a male human. He wields a steel pike and wears no armor.

4chan circa 2006 is on the right side of the arena.
Tao of Trolling (jon joe) is a male troll. He is empty handed and wears no armor.
:troll: (Jazzimus Prime) is a male troll. He wields an iron pike and wears an iron helm, an iron breast plate, iron gauntlets, and iron high boots.
White Eye (Afriscipio) is a female troll. She wields an iron great axe and a wooden shield and wears a copper cap and an iron mail shirt.

The Regular Crowd is a 1.33 to 1 betting favorite in this match with 4700.00 dwarfbucks in total bets placed on them, compared to 3543.00 dwarfbucks for 4chan circa 2006.

We've got ourselves a couple of lashers and a nimble pikeman versus a trio of trolls. Some have argued that these mid-weight fighters will fare better with the reviled whip. Given that trolls can survive just about anything that leaves them conscious, I have my doubts.

Regular Crowd advance in formation, scattering the trolls. The round opens with a few inconclusive blows being traded. The trolls injure superflous arms on the strangler and ant woman, while :troll: and White Eye take hard but not crippling blows to the head and leg.

StranglMech tries to turn the match with a stinging lash that forces White Eye to drop her axe, leaving her with only her natural weapons. Showing no quarter, he follows up with a stunning blow to her head.

Tao wastes no time, lifting up J. Corbzy by the leg and tossing her across the arena, grinding her into hamburger on the stone floor.

:troll: is less merciful, spitting StranglMech through the head and letting him helplessly dangle as a pinata while Tao takes him apart piece by piece.

Heygal's Guy circles around the the torture, getting jabs in with his pike, but none of them are to vital organs. The trolls ignore him and continue with their fun. StranglMech tries to scramble away, but part after part of his body is crushed or torn off. :troll: finally finishes the job by tearing his head clean away.

Not content with usual cruelty, :troll: walks up to Heygal's Guy and bites off his tongue.

:stonk:

:troll: tries to start another round by pinning Heygal's Guy through the head, but mercifully this merely kills him.

:siren: 4chan circa 2006 wins 3 (and 3 severed bits) – 0!

Kills:

:troll: 2
Tao of Trolling 1

Combat Log

Added Space fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Jun 13, 2017

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

See, whips can be effective! Maybe. :v:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

quote:

Tao of Trolling (4chan) throws J. Corbzy (Crowd) by the right lower leg with Tao of Trolling (4chan)'s left upper arm!
Tao of Trolling (4chan) gores J. Corbzy (Crowd) in the first right upper arm with his left horn and the injured part collapses!
...time passes...
J. Corbzy (Crowd)'s abdomen skids along the ground and the part splits in gore!
...more time passes...
J. Corbzy (Crowd)'s left lower leg skids along the ground and the part splits in gore!
...some more time passes...
J. Corbzy (Crowd) slams into an obstacle!
J. Corbzy (Crowd) has died after colliding with an obstacle.

Also this is ridiculous.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
Yeah if we can't immediately murder the other team with overwhelming hurt we're pretty doomed

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

quote:

:troll : (4chan) stabs 2 Dark Gnomes in a StranglMech (Crowd) in the head with his iron pike, tearing the muscle and fracturing the skull!
An artery has been opened by the attack!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The iron pike has lodged firmly in the wound!
The force twists the neck, tearing apart the fat and tearing apart the upper spine's nervous tissue!
A tendon in the upper spine has been torn!
Tao of Trolling (4chan) releases the grip of Tao of Trolling (4chan)'s left upper arm on 2 Dark Gnomes in a StranglMech (Crowd)'s second right upper arm.
2 Dark Gnomes in a StranglMech (Crowd) loses hold of the oaken shield.
2 Dark Gnomes in a StranglMech (Crowd) loses hold of the iron scourge.
2 Dark Gnomes iAntman 1n a StranglMech (Crowd) falls over.

Oh well, severed spine, paralyzed fighter. Was holding his own until then, nothing else he can...

quote:

2 Dark Gnomes in a StranglMech (Crowd) misses :troll : (4chan)!
Tao of Trolling (4chan) grabs 2 Dark Gnomes in a StranglMech (Crowd) by the left eye tooth with his left hand!
2 Dark Gnomes in a StranglMech (Crowd)'s attack is interrupted!
2 Dark Gnomes in a StranglMech (Crowd) misses Tao of Trolling (4chan)!
2 Dark Gnomes in a StranglMech (Crowd) misses Tao of Trolling (4chan)!
White Eye (4chan) attacks 2 Dark Gnomes in a StranglMech (Crowd) but He rolls away!
2 Dark Gnomes in a StranglMech (Crowd) strikes at White Eye (4chan) but the shot is blocked with the oaken shield!
2 Dark Gnomes in a StranglMech (Crowd) attacks :troll : (4chan) but He jumps away!
2 Dark Gnomes in a StranglMech (Crowd) misses :troll : (4chan)!

:stare:

That's pretty damned impressive for a quadriplegic. That interrupted bite looks new.

Frozen_flame
Feb 14, 2012

Press A to Protect Earth!
What the absolute christ :stonklol:

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

My fighter contributed by being there. Yay!

But seriously, that brutal bashing reminded me of a killer whale toying with a seal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7WGIH35JBE&t=29s

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I've been putting a whole ton of wrestling trolls into a test arena and the throw rate is really really low. And trolls throwing trolls doesnt send them very far.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

In a sufficiently crowded arena though, things get funny:

quote:

Goblin 48 throws Goblin 49 by the nose with Goblin 48's left upper arm!
Goblin 47 punches Goblin 49 in the right lower arm with his left hand, bruising the muscle!
Goblin 49 slams into Goblin 47!
Goblin 47's upper body skids along the ground, bruising the muscle and shattering the left false ribs!
Goblin 49 slams into an obstacle!
Goblin 47 slams into Goblin 32!
Goblin 47 slams into an obstacle!
Goblin 32's head skids along the ground, bruising the muscle!
Goblin 32's lower body skids along the ground, bruising the muscle and bruising the stomach!
Goblin 32 slams into an obstacle!

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Splode posted:

Nah, our only reliable commissioner just doesn't work weekends

Since it's tuesday I should probably do something...

Mount and Blade is straight up killing my free time. That game is right up my alley.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Ah, it feels good to be back on top the betting ladder.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Spermy Smurf posted:

Since it's tuesday I should probably do something...

Mount and Blade is straight up killing my free time. That game is right up my alley.

Okay so I didn't run a fight. I have 4 castles, a bunch of towns, and they are all under attack.

Maybe wednesday?

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
So, crazy idea: What if, after this test tournament, we put a new thread, except it's in GBS so we can recruit new blood?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

jesus no

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous