Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Were reactive game physics even a thing when the last good Spiderman game was made

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Fulchrum posted:

Is that - is that what they did in the good Spider-Man game?

Scoring it to an old song doesn't make a trailer Fallout.

Maybe doing that plus the retro 50's advertisements then a tiny montage of combat and the end does however.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Internet Kraken posted:

Were reactive game physics even a thing when the last good Spiderman game was made

No. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xb8ZhKgieTw

People have such rose tinted goggles for that game. No Spiderman game will ever be good enough in comparison.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Steve2911 posted:

too few QTEs

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Fulchrum posted:

The bit where they did a bunch of fake period TV then panned out of it through a bunker at the start was kind of reminiscent of Fallout 4's announcement trailer with the player's old house. It becomes its own beast shortly afterwards, but I noticed a bit of a similarity too.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

*a few too many

It's early.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

I'm sad there's no late night twitch E3 insanity tonight. :smith:

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Wandle Cax posted:

pretty sure some people will enjoy them
obviously just a broad statement. but suckers keep buying their online only massive world games that don't live up to their promises. fool me once and all that.

Fulchrum posted:

Is that - is that what they did in the good Spider-Man game?

Here's a good tibit of info from the guy who thought up the initial mechanics of Spiderman 2 (then went on to try and make a game solely on the swining mechanic)

https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/1ep0ed/i_invented_the_swinging_in_spiderman_2_now_im/ca2lbbk/

quote:

Excellent questions! I've been working on a blog post (my blog is here but I haven't published the article yet) describing some of the technical stuff, and didn't know which points to hit on, so it's great to hear what some stumbling blocks might be.
1) At first, we went through the level and added points which we thought would be good to swing from, like the corners of buildings etc. Eric Pavone discovered that the more points he added, the more predictable, smooth, and fun it got. So Andrei Pokrovsky implemented a system that just did raycasting against the physical geometry, and where the rays intersected, that's where the swinging happened.
2) Therefore, almost everything that a character could physically collide with could be swingable. That same physics geometry that the level builders had to add manually (things were tough back then) was what was swung from.
3) It took a small fraction of a frame to do that physical raycasting, and a fair amount of optimization work went into it - shooting games with a lot of AI opponents probably have to do a similar amount of work.
4) Energy Hook, like Spidey 2, works off the physics / collision geometry, not the vertices. I've rebuilt a similar system and am building on that.
Thanks so much for your support!

so... i can't tell if its the same or not other than just more processing power in a ps4 vs a ps2.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Golden Goat posted:

Did they always swear this much in the first Beyond Good & Evil?

They shot the same number of cops, but you're right there are more swears.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

incoherent posted:

Honest question for you guys holding on to skyrim: why haven't you jumped to ES:O? Is it the lack of modded tophat mudcrabs?
Can I put a bucket over an NPC's head and steal stuff from them?

That's my "joke but has a point" answer. My real answer is "It's the lack of this:"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNhrUozHea8&t=1211s

Steve2911 posted:

People have such rose tinted goggles for that game. No Spiderman game will ever be good enough in comparison.
You should check out how the swinging works in Attack on Titan. It's pretty spot-on in how it needs something nearby to swing off of in order for anything to work right.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Jun 13, 2017

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I'm guessing we won't be seeing any Resident Evil 2 at this point.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Just watched the Sony conference. I like the new final fantasy fishing game and I want to buy some vr goggles and go fishing with my boys, spiderman needs to make a few more jokes and a few less QTEs, MonHunWorld looks cool, and I'm amazed that western devs are making another post-apoc zombie game in 2017.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

DaveKap posted:

That's my "joke but has a point" answer. My real answer is "It's the lack of this:"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNhrUozHea8&t=1211s

Only a crazy person would be pro-surrealism and anti-VR. Work with the medium. It's your best possible hope.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

TF2 HAT MINING RIG posted:

I'm guessing we won't be seeing any Resident Evil 2 at this point.

I don't actually think it exists

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Internet Kraken posted:

No

Its almost like after 15 years the team working on this game might not be making a game completely faithful to its spirit :thunk:

almost as if the team headed by the original creator creating a sequel to a cult favourite from 15 years ago who have been given creative freedom is doing so out of passion for the project

:thunk:

TEENAGE WITCH
Jul 20, 2008

NAH LAD
waht happens today at e3?

TEENAGE WITCH
Jul 20, 2008

NAH LAD
oh wait lmao i completely forgot about nintendo, that will probably be cool

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

TEENAGE WITCH posted:

waht happens today at e3?
Nintendo will stream a half-hour presentation at 9am PT (12pm ET) focusing on Super Mario Odyssey, with cameos by other Switch games launching this year. Afterwards, they'll be doing a Treehouse thing showing some other stuff before kicking into a Spla2n tournament.

That'll be it for press conferences, I believe, but the actual E3 show floor and private meeting rooms open at noon PT, so expect actual press coverage and hands-on impressions to kick off following that.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

quote:

Nintendo will stream a half-hour presentation at 9am PT (12pm ET) focusing on Super Mario Odyssey

Why does everyone keep saying this? That's not what they've advertised.

They said the focus was on Switch games for 2017 including Odyssey, not that it'd be the entire point of the showcase.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

TFRazorsaw posted:

Cause people only care about new Mario

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I'm stealing Utnayan's predictions. They're now my predictions.

Metroid: Scar and Overwatch on the Switch.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

They'll show a 3-4 minute trailer for Odyssey which will get way more time at the Treehouse. Nintendo's current shows don't fit the formula of long presentations for one game (except when that game has its own Direct).

I know Nintendo don't really show stuff a long time before release these days, but I really hope they at least tease a few big Switch titles coming in 2018 and beyond. I really want enough reasons to justify picking one up. Actually putting some of their flagship handheld stuff on there would be a big step towards that. gently caress I hope the 3DS is dead within a year.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Steve2911 posted:

They'll show a 3-4 minute trailer for Odyssey which will get way more time at the Treehouse. Nintendo's current shows don't fit the formula of long presentations for one game (except when that game has its own Direct).

I know Nintendo don't really show stuff a long time before release these days, but I really hope they at least tease a few big Switch titles coming in 2018 and beyond. I really want enough reasons to justify picking one up. Actually putting some of their flagship handheld stuff on there would be a big step towards that. gently caress I hope the 3DS is dead within a year.

The 2014 presentation did a lot of 1+ year out stuff. Coincidentally, it was also their best Digital Presentation so far.

Broose
Oct 28, 2007
Hosts have kept saying that "E3 hasn't even started yet," but does that mean anything major is happening after nintendo's treehouse, or is that when the convention floor opens up to the public or something and I have to wait until gaming websites post stuff?

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Broose posted:

Hosts have kept saying that "E3 hasn't even started yet," but does that mean anything major is happening after nintendo's treehouse, or is that when the convention floor opens up to the public or something and I have to wait until gaming websites post stuff?

Probably both.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Broose posted:

I really doubt anything major will happen other than Nintendo trickling out their news. They just want to keep the hype going as long as possible, but unless you're actually there there's usually very little else to care about after the pressers other than coverage of the demos etc.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I'm passing some time by watching E3 prediction videos. They're funny, but not as funny as the top ten Sony conference surprises video that had to include Call of Duty because of the slim pickings.

Hopefully Nintendo can top Ubisoft.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Wandle Cax posted:

almost as if the team headed by the original creator creating a sequel to a cult favourite from 15 years ago who have been given creative freedom is doing so out of passion for the project

:thunk:

What annoys me is it's going to be a goddamn prequel, despite being titled BG&E2 :sigh:.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

What annoys me is it's going to be a goddamn prequel, despite being titled BG&E2 :sigh:.

Maybe it'll be a Godfather 2 deal and there'll be post BG&E1 stuff too?

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
How far off is Red Dead that we didn't even seen it at the show? I thought it was originally slated for Fall 2017, and got pushed back to early 2018.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

TFRazorsaw posted:

They said the focus was on Switch games for 2017 including Odyssey, not that it'd be the entire point of the showcase.
The exact words they used on their website are

quote:

featuring a closer look at the Super Mario Odyssey game and new details for Nintendo Switch™ games launching this year.
...and given how last year was Zelda focused, it makes sense.

Broose posted:

The show floor opens at noon. So do the private meeting areas, which I'm pretty sure are where a lot of interviews and such are held. So, yeah.

Broose
Oct 28, 2007
Thanks all. I've only been able to give e3 a minimal of attention. Like I've only just seen the future's future future.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

The Kins posted:

The exact words they used on their website are
...and given how last year was Zelda focused, it makes sense.

Last year was Zelda ONLY with a few token appearances from other stuff on Treehouse. That still feels like quite a leap...

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Last year was a totally different situation, they weren't ready to reveal the Switch but had nothing really to show for WiiU which is why the huge Zelda focus + a few 3DS titles.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

It worked though. BotW was the most talked/written about game at E3 2016.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I get it now, Mario is going to the real world in Odyssey to defeat nazis

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Mario Odyssey takes place in a dystopian future where the Toads won

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Megasabin posted:

How far off is Red Dead that we didn't even seen it at the show? I thought it was originally slated for Fall 2017, and got pushed back to early 2018.

Rockstar usually is never at E3 because they can change their profile picture to a red icon and break the Internet. They said they'd reveal more about it this summer when it got delayed.

Nov 24, 2014

Everyone announcing DLC kind of stood out as weird to me.

EA had Battlefield DLC.
Bethesda had Dishonored 2 DLC.
Ubisoft had Steep DLC.
Sony had Horizon DLC.
Microsoft had the Minecraft update.

I don't remember this happening last year. Looking forward to a trailer for the BotW DLC in ~4 hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Me too. Hope its cool and major

• Locked thread