Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
El_Funko
May 25, 2003

Where did she go?

Bobbin Threadbear posted:

Custom matches are being used to get twitch streamers subs. We all paid, we should be able to start our own custom matches.

I doubt the developers give two shits about streamers getting additional subs. The people who get offered partnership for custom games are often ones who stream PUBG a whole bunch anyway, so it's not like it's a quid pro quo situation.

The devs just don't want their server costs blowing out by giving it to every user, who would then try to start their own custom game with very slightly tweaked server rules which never gets above 32 players and never starts.

By keeping it limited to a group of partners, they can make sure people are using the privilege for different rulesets and running games which allows them to collect data on what works, which is ultimately best for the playerbase because it means they can direct the testing as they need it.

They've already said it won't be this way forever, this is just the best method for this phase of the development. Seems fine to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobbin Threadbear
May 6, 2007

emanresu tnuocca posted:

The only situation where you can't do anything about it and it's an actual threat is if you're pinned down behind a rock somewhere in the open and in that case you're largely responsible for getting into the situation and the only punishment is that you have a one in a thousand chance to die for about 30 seconds.

Sometimes you're mid fight when a red zone pops up. You can't really just run from a fight unless you wanna get shot in the butt

Bobbin Threadbear
May 6, 2007

El_Funko posted:

I doubt the developers give two shits about streamers getting additional subs. The people who get offered partnership for custom games are often ones who stream PUBG a whole bunch anyway, so it's not like it's a quid pro quo situation.

The devs just don't want their server costs blowing out by giving it to every user, who would then try to start their own custom game with very slightly tweaked server rules which never gets above 32 players and never starts.

By keeping it limited to a group of partners, they can make sure people are using the privilege for different rulesets and running games which allows them to collect data on what works, which is ultimately best for the playerbase because it means they can direct the testing as they need it.

They've already said it won't be this way forever, this is just the best method for this phase of the development. Seems fine to me.

Which they get to practice and scrim on meanwhile the average people (just because we don't advertise but we buy the game) have to actually play the game to practice which takes a long time.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

Which they get to practice and scrim on meanwhile the average people (just because we don't advertise but we buy the game) have to actually play the game to practice which takes a long time.

lol what are you even trying to say here, were you planning on going pro in PUBG or something? why does any of that matter?

Bobbin Threadbear
May 6, 2007

Zo posted:

lol what are you even trying to say here, were you planning on going pro in PUBG or something? why does any of that matter?

It's not custom servers part, it's the part where there's no way to train as fast as them. They can disable all the guns they don't want to test, 4x loot spawn on, jump to the ground, loot up and instantly start practicing and perfect their spray in a few minutes.
An average joe would have to play tons of games to actually test their spray, with limited ammo at that (since you would be carrying other things).
But thanks for the thoughts

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Devs engage in marketing activities, they decide how to handle their funds and resources and the custom matches are really a tiny part of it. To you it seems trivial but I'm gonna assume that they pay extra for custom server hosting, etc. You might as well argue that companies don't have the mandate from their customers to invest resources into ads and expos, poo poo doesn't matter. It's their money now that you gave it to them.

El_Funko
May 25, 2003

Where did she go?
Is that really a big deal? Playing regular games seems to be a pretty good way at getting better at the game.

I guess if a PUBG partner wants to run 5x air drops and nothing but sniper rifles in the loot spawns, they get to practice sniping a bit quicker than regular games, but what's to stop you from sourcing those types of games out in the custom game list? They aren't all locked behind twitch-subscriber-only passwords.

Bobbin Threadbear
May 6, 2007

If this bullshit is the future for game marketing then count me out. Everyone who paid demands access to custom matches. To make a custom match you have to be a partner. You see how they only want twitch streamers to do it to get free advertisement for the game. In turn the twitch streamers are only allowing people who sub to them to play. This is a loving sham and i love this game. But the poo poo Bluehole is doing, is disgusting.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Sometimes you're mid fight when a red zone pops up. You can't really just run from a fight unless you wanna get shot in the butt

That's why they have the pan

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

If this bullshit is the future for game marketing then count me out. Everyone who paid demands access to custom matches. To make a custom match you have to be a partner. You see how they only want twitch streamers to do it to get free advertisement for the game. In turn the twitch streamers are only allowing people who sub to them to play. This is a loving sham and i love this game. But the poo poo Bluehole is doing, is disgusting.

hahahahahahaa

Bobbin Threadbear
May 6, 2007

Zo posted:

hahahahahahaa

Streamers shouldn't influence a game or get special treatment.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

Streamers shouldn't influence a game or get special treatment.

Welcome to capitalism buddy.

Bobbin Threadbear
May 6, 2007

sterster posted:

Welcome to capitalism buddy.

Right because clearly the twitch streamers are the best and brightest to make sure it runs correctly.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme
I really need to work on my end game, because I seem to make bad decisions which end up with me dead in the top 20.

Just had a match where I killed three guys, with 17 people left, I ran out of the house as the barrier passed me, and about three people opened up on me from houses and hills. I mean, it seems to not pay to camp an area in this game at later stages at least.

I've hit #2 several times, but I can't seem to get #1.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer
Bobbin Threadbear has an extremely valid point, but I guess it's just more constructive to GBS shitpost at him cause reasons.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
We must address the rampant Custom Match Doping phenomena ruining our e-Sport.

Like seriously guys, this is not a big deal. In fact I'd it's a wholesome marketing activity that really hurts no one and I think I think it's very clever from Bluehold to incentivize streamers, good on them.

Bobbin Threadbear
May 6, 2007

emanresu tnuocca posted:

We must address the rampant Custom Match Doping phenomena ruining our e-Sport.

Like seriously guys, this is not a big deal. In fact I'd it's a wholesome marketing activity that really hurts no one and I think I think it's very clever from Bluehold to incentivize streamers, good on them.

The streamers dont bring traffic to the game. The game brings traffic to the streamers

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach
As a new player, I would like a practice range. I'd let me get a feel for the guns and ranges

Paradigmata
Dec 23, 2015

Dissolved

practicing and perfect their spray in a few minutes.
An average joe would have to play tons of games to actually test their spray, with limited ammo at that (since you would be carrying other things).
But thanks for the thoughts
LEARN THIS MANS TRICK TO PERFECT MUSCLE MEMORY IN MINUTES, PRO GAMERS HATE HIM!!

Or you could just play the game pick up a gun you want to train collect some bullets and shoot a wall? Whats stopping you from doing that? Which gun aside of the DMR is rare that you have a hard time to be able to train the spray/recoil?

Bobbin Threadbear
May 6, 2007

Paradigmata posted:

LEARN THIS MANS TRICK TO PERFECT MUSCLE MEMORY IN MINUTES, PRO GAMERS HATE HIM!!

Or you could just play the game pick up a gun you want to train collect some bullets and shoot a wall? Whats stopping you from doing that? Which gun aside of the DMR is rare that you have a hard time to be able to train the spray/recoil?

Like I said, there's no way to train as fast as streamers. If we can't do custom games, why should they? But clearly Bluehole see's them as better than us. It's utter bullshit.

Bobbin Threadbear
May 6, 2007

We'll get custom servers sooner or later, but it will come out of pocket. Streamers are not loyal. They will go to whatever game is trendy to maintain the attention of their audience of generic teenagers. That being said, they should pay out of pocket too. Also, I genuinely dislike streamers.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

We'll get custom servers sooner or later, but it will come out of pocket. Streamers are not loyal. They will go to whatever game is trendy to maintain the attention of their audience of generic teenagers. That being said, they should pay out of pocket too. Also, I genuinely dislike streamers.

Would've never guessed. :angel:

Paradigmata
Dec 23, 2015

Dissolved
You talk like you care about traning something, but apperantly you dont care enough about it to go out of the way and actually train it. If you would care in the first place, investing couple minutes more into improving yourself shouldnt be a concern. If you would argue about trying to find out how smokes react from client to client in different situations, then yes, you are better of with custom servers, but if you concern is aim, then you are just lazy. Also the last time I checked the guns dont have spray patterns, recoil calculated by values given by the gun and attachments. Go read the Excelsheet with all % Values of it.

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

those gosh darned streamers getting unfair practice in empty custom lobbies how can we be truly esports now??

Bobbin Threadbear
May 6, 2007

Paradigmata posted:

You talk like you care about traning something, but apperantly you dont care enough about it to go out of the way and actually train it. If you would care in the first place, investing couple minutes more into improving yourself shouldnt be a concern. If you would argue about trying to find out how smokes react from client to client in different situations, then yes, you are better of with custom servers, but if you concern is aim, then you are just lazy. Also the last time I checked the guns dont have spray patterns, recoil calculated by values given by the gun and attachments. Go read the Excelsheet with all % Values of it.

Streamers have a serious advantage in that they can practice with 0 delay for as long as they like, where as "normal" people can only practice for a minute or two in the lobby, with limited ammo, or in game, with limited ammo, and huge intervals of having to find weapons to actually practice with.

Here's a graph to help out point out the skill development difference that bluehole is screwing normal players with

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
e^ oh you're just poo poo posting

The streamers dont bring traffic to the game. The game brings traffic to the streamers

it's a two way street but if you think streamers don't influence the success of a game like this then you're extremely wrong

I'd like to see a firing range at some point but this is a pretty dumb thing to get angry about. chances are you're never even gonna encounter one of these fabled streamers cheating their way to a like 8% advantage through extra practice. the really good streamers like grimmmz seem to mostly play through the standard matchmaking anyway.

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

sight ur sorses

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007
It's a graph that means it's legit.

White Noise Marine
Apr 14, 2010

Also lol if you don't think streamers generate sales. I picked this game up due to seeing a streamer playing it, it looked fun, and now that I've been playing it, my whole group of friends are playing. So chalk up 15 sales to 1 streamer.

Hulebr00670065006e
Apr 20, 2010

White Noise Marine posted:

Also lol if you don't think streamers generate sales. I picked this game up due to seeing a streamer playing it, it looked fun, and now that I've been playing it, my whole group of friends are playing. So chalk up 15 sales to 1 streamer.

Same

Bobbin Threadbear
May 6, 2007

I don't get whats so hard to understand. 5 minutes of the most basic aim practice is worth more than 30 minutes of finding a game, landing, looting, running around finding no fights and maybe getting to shoot someone.

White Noise Marine posted:

A pirated sale is not a lost sale, because someone who pirated X wouldn't necessarily buy X. Just because you bought it because you saw it on a stream doesn't mean you wouldn't have bought it if you hadn't seen it on a stream. You and your 15 friends would have probably bought this game irregardless of the streamers. Correlation does not equal causation.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

drat, there is some high level trolling going on here.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

VulgarandStupid posted:

drat, there is some high level trolling going on here.

lol yeah well he's either retarded or trolling, but you can never be sure which it is

i mean there are high profile companies that literally pay streamers to stream their games as advertisement.

El_Funko
May 25, 2003

Where did she go?
There are plenty of custom games open to anyone who wants to bother joining them, they aren't all subscriber-only.

On the other hand, this is a really dumb thing to be mad about so I'll assume you're either trolling or a streamer killed your father and just move on.

Is it actually possible to huck a frag through a barred window, like at all? I wasted 4 trying in a game yesterday and then I tried to remember a time I had successfully done it and couldn't. Is it worth even trying anymore?

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Medical Industrial Complex

Biscuit Hider
Missed opportunity to make a dick on that graph 4/10

Condoleezza Nice!
Jan 4, 2010

Lite som Robin Hood
fast inte

El_Funko posted:

There are plenty of custom games open to anyone who wants to bother joining them, they aren't all subscriber-only.

On the other hand, this is a really dumb thing to be mad about so I'll assume you're either trolling or a streamer killed your father and just move on.

Is it actually possible to huck a frag through a barred window, like at all? I wasted 4 trying in a game yesterday and then I tried to remember a time I had successfully done it and couldn't. Is it worth even trying anymore?

Yes, you definitely can. It's just trickier.

El_Funko
May 25, 2003

Where did she go?
If only I was a corrupt streamer so I could make a custom game to help me practice throwing frags through the bars.

Condoleezza Nice!
Jan 4, 2010

Lite som Robin Hood
fast inte
:same:

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
i spent 20 hours on an unethical custom server practicing crouch jumping through windows and now they're adding vault animations

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents
I've spent at least 10 minutes combined practicing crouchjumping on the tire by the yellow container on lobby island. I'm going straight to hell.

• Locked thread