Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.
http://i.imgur.com/WpJR4ZM.mp4

:69snypa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!

Visidan posted:

stuff gets decrypted on law and order all the time, they just gotta get some computer nerd to hack it. totally a realistic and not impossible piece of legislation.

Enhance!

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I'm proud of you, Bender. Sure, you lost. You lost bad. But the important thing is I beat up someone who hurt my feelings in high school.

The best part

quote:

Mr Abbott, who had not read the Finkel report, slammed the CET on Monday as a "magic pudding" and "a tax on coal".

I used to hate Abbott when he was PM, but these days I'm glad he's still around.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Would anyone be surprised if this is the issue that finally finishes off Turnbull?

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Would anyone be surprised if this is the issue that finally finishes off Turnbull?

I would be. There's literally nobody else and it's loving hilarious.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.
White Australia policy is back baby. Suck it non whites.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

It's like we're in some Quantum Leap hijinks where the timeline is going to be set back how it was meant to be.

Turnbull tries to do something slightly good for the climate, gets rolled and Abbott takes over. Leads them to the next election where this time he gets absolutely hammered and we hopefully get to see him cry on live tv.

It's how things were meant to happen the first time around, the universe is just righting itself.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
All of this has happened before, all of this will happen again :bsg:

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
The White Australia policy is old hat. If it was me I'd go for something much more interesting and dynamic to appeal to the younger voters.

I'd make applying for breeding licenses mandatory for any potential parents. If you fail the associated English, Math and means testing then you get a non-reversible vasectomy or tubes tied as applicable.

When you apply for the test enforcement compliance officers will be in the next room with rusty scissors, knitting needles and yarn to carry out the needful.

Oh and obviously any children secretly born to unlicensed parents are seized by the state and used to provide cheap labor on the fruit farms for life. The parents too but they'll be going to different farms.

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

I like how the sample reading comprehension is a pro coal industry piece.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Citizenship test question 17:

"Which would you rather live next to?"

The page displays two images: a glossy color photo of a touched up in photoshop gleaming coal fired power plant and a black and white out of focus smudged image of some windmills, also that photo is half the size of the other one.

(any applicant that doesn't answer "the coal power plant" immediately has their visa cancelled while several of Dutton's blackshirts forcibly haul them off to hurl them into the sea)

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

"Service guarantees Citizenship" would appeal to a lot of voters.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-06-13/victorian-government-rejects-federal-welfare-drug-testing-plan/8613482

quote:

The Victorian Government has said it will not cooperate with the Federal Government's proposed plan to test welfare recipients for illicit drugs.
"It simply won't work, and it's cheap, populist nonsense designed to create a smokescreen as to what really drives disadvantage," Victoria's Mental Health Minister Martin Foley told 7.30.
"We've made it clear to the Federal Government, at two ministerial councils, that we're not interested in being part of this scam because all it will do is create even more demand for services that are already stretched, that are already under pressure from Commonwealth cuts, and we won't have a bar of it."
"If the Commonwealth wants to go out and demonise people and pretend they're doing good work in this space, let them do it somewhere else," Mr Foley said.
"Because all it will do in Melbourne and Victoria is drive more people into disadvantage."

AgentF
May 11, 2009

X13Fen posted:

A literal idea from Rob Stitch's 2005 show, The Hollowmen

I guess next up the discussion will turn to Green Coal and then Smart Coal.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Best. State.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Good, good.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Thanks Mr Dandrews.

Be interesting to see if Mr Tough On Crime McGowan follows suit, given that half the state, when greeted with the recent report that meth use appears to be dropping based on waste water testing, responded with 'no it isn't! I think that actually included a few cops on talkback (but no evidence was presented to support this counterclaim of course).

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Don Dongington posted:

Thanks Mr Dandrews.

Be interesting to see if Mr Tough On Crime McGowan follows suit, given that half the state, when greeted with the recent report that meth use appears to be dropping based on waste water testing, responded with 'no it isn't! I think that actually included a few cops on talkback (but no evidence was presented to support this counterclaim of course).

That was just cause people were pissing on the Lawn though.

Frogfingers
Oct 10, 2012

That was just cause people were pissing on the Lawn though.

Have the state come and inspect peoples gardens for shrubs and bushes frantically strumming a two-string guitar for 50 hours at a time.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Don Dongington posted:

I would be. There's literally nobody else and it's loving hilarious.

You and I both know its going to be Abbott.

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
If we ban encryption we'll be able to catch the junkies next time they try to co-ordinate a mass lawn pissing to throw us off track.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Tokamak posted:

You and I both know its going to be Abbott.

The circle is complete, ah, Mr. Speaker.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

X13Fen posted:

A literal idea from Rob Stitch's 2005 show, The Hollowmen

We shouldn't overlook for a long period Julia Gillard's plans involved building giant underground caves for catching the chemicals. It was an inverse space elevator.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Lid posted:

We shouldn't overlook for a long period Julia Gillard's plans involved building giant underground caves for catching the chemicals. It was an inverse space elevator.

Well that's one use for Fraggle Rock.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Sorry for 9 News link but I couldn't find it anywhere else:

Adelaide couple face deportation because of daughter’s disability

quote:

An Adelaide mother and father are pleading for an eleventh hour intervention as they face deportation because of their daughter’s disability.

Mary George was born with a neurological disorder in 2014 at Lyell McEwin Hospital in the city’s north.

She was on life support for 28 days and didn't leave hospital for almost a year.

Her parents, Seena and Manu, provide around the clock care, while also looking after Mary’s healthy 11-month-old brother.

“In the morning I have to do her bathing and dressing and I have to re-connect the feeds and I need to do a lot of physio,” Mrs George told 9NEWS.

The George family arrived from India in 2011 on student visas and said they are now being refused permanent residency as a result of Mary’s disability.

“We got a letter from immigration, saying my daughter is disabled so that's why,” Mr George explained.

They have reached out to Immigration Minister Peter Dutton, but have been told keeping the family in Australia “wouldn't be in the public interest”.

The refusal comes despite Mary's treatment being covered by the family's private health insurance.

Her father is also working full-time as registered nurse in the aged care sector, where qualified workers are scarce.

“We're in a tricky situation about the future, because we came here for a better life, I'm working,” Mr George said.

Their biggest fear is their daughter's condition will get worse in India.

“We don't want to miss Mary's doctor because he knows everything about her,” Mrs George said.

The family has exhausted all their options for appeal, but they have engaged a lawyer and said they are holding onto hope there will be a late intervention.

The Department of Immigration and Border Protection this afternoon told 9NEWS it is considering “alternative visa options” for the George family.

However, without approval they will be forced to leave Australia by the end of the month.

This actually made me feel a bit sick.

Silentgoldfish
Nov 5, 2008
Rant ahead:

I thought I'd avoided personally being involved with the robo-debt fiasco since I haven't ever been on centerlink.

Then my estranged father died. I haven't spoken to him in 7 years, but I went back to Queensland, arranged for cremation ($2400), cleared his flat ($900) and divided up any items of sentiment between me and my siblings (photos, mostly). He had about a grand in the bank but owed 5 grand in personal loans but on presentation of his death certificate the bank closed his accounts and wiped the debt, though they kept the money as well.

Then yesterday I got a letter from Centerlink saying basically "We're sorry for the loss of your father. His income was reported incorrectly in 2012. As the executor of his estate you now owe the government $8400 by July 11th."

Needless to say me and my partner were furious, went straight to Centerlink and fumed until we were put onto the debt recovery people where we essentially told them to go gently caress themselves, we weren't paying back poo poo, and to remove our names from everything to do with the account.

They capitulated, but man, if I already didn't think this government was scummy enough, that kick in the balls really made it feel personal.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Time for the guillotine sir?

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

:negative:

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

Zenithe posted:

Sorry for 9 News link but I couldn't find it anywhere else:

Adelaide couple face deportation because of daughter’s disability

This actually made me feel a bit sick.

The Australian Government has discriminated against people gaining citizenship on the basis of disability for a long time now

We only allow the most genetically pure specimens into our white paradise

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

Silentgoldfish posted:

Rant ahead:

I thought I'd avoided personally being involved with the robo-debt fiasco since I haven't ever been on centerlink.

Then my estranged father died. I haven't spoken to him in 7 years, but I went back to Queensland, arranged for cremation ($2400), cleared his flat ($900) and divided up any items of sentiment between me and my siblings (photos, mostly). He had about a grand in the bank but owed 5 grand in personal loans but on presentation of his death certificate the bank closed his accounts and wiped the debt, though they kept the money as well.

Then yesterday I got a letter from Centerlink saying basically "We're sorry for the loss of your father. His income was reported incorrectly in 2012. As the executor of his estate you now owe the government $8400 by July 11th."

Needless to say me and my partner were furious, went straight to Centerlink and fumed until we were put onto the debt recovery people where we essentially told them to go gently caress themselves, we weren't paying back poo poo, and to remove our names from everything to do with the account.

They capitulated, but man, if I already didn't think this government was scummy enough, that kick in the balls really made it feel personal.

You should email news sites/organisations with this. It's probably a bit of an old topic now but they might be interested in it as it's a bit of a different take on the whole thing. Centrelink deserves to be poo poo on in every way possible for doing stuff like that.

Kafka Syrup
Apr 29, 2009

Silentgoldfish posted:

Rant ahead:

Email Rob Stott at Buzzfeed (Rob.Stott@BuzzFeed.com) and get this up. Asher Wolf (whose email addy I don't have) is the freelancer leading the story on this and would be good to touch base with. This is absolutely hosed and needs immediate media attention.

In other media news: Buzzfeed AusPol's political editor, Mark Di Stefano, is leaving the Canberra Bureau for a gig in the UK. RIPs.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Kafka Syrup posted:

Email Rob Stott at Buzzfeed (Rob.Stott@BuzzFeed.com) and get this up. Asher Wolf (whose email addy I don't have) is the freelancer leading the story on this and would be good to touch base with. This is absolutely hosed and needs immediate media attention.

In other media news: Buzzfeed AusPol's political editor, Mark Di Stefano, is leaving the Canberra Bureau for a gig in the UK. RIPs.

Oh no, our journalist!

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

Kafka Syrup posted:

Asher Wolf (whose email addy I don't have) is the freelancer leading the story on this and would be good to touch base with.

I got in touch with Asher via Twitter, she's advised to contact Christopher Knaus at the Guardian, I guess he's acting as an intermediary.
Email: Christopher.knaus@guardian.co.uk
Twitter: @knausc

Asher is @Asher_Wolf btw

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
T-minus 3 days before Alan Tudge slanders your dead relative via privileged information from his Centrelink file

Because Adults In Charge.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Breaking: The Australian Government will settle a class action to compensate 1900 Manus Island detainees.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Woop

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Asher is good people and I recommend DMing her on twitter

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

If the $70m number that's on Twitter is accurate that's a bit less than $37k per claim. Government got off pretty easy.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
They should have taken it to trial and slugged the government with a verdict.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Channel Ten has been forced to go into voluntary administration after its billionaire shareholders told it on the weekend they would no longer guarantee a key loan.

• Locked thread