Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Drone posted:

I mean, it really could be argued that the entire environment isn't Fox News' fault, but CNN's. CNN was the first 24/7 news network and is directly responsible for the commodification and commercialization of the news. Fox just took the formula that CNN created and perfected it into a partisan machine.

Something like CNN was inevitable, and some kind of conservative alternative to MSM probably was too given their dominance on talk radio. I do think Roger Ailes promoted a particularly toxic brand of conservatism that had no principle beyond winning though, and a different type of conservative alternative could have prevented at least some of that. I'm not going to say every Republican was super principled before Fox, but the progression toward nihilism has been pretty stark in the Fox News era.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

axeil posted:

If you are in Virginia please remember to vote (for Tom Perriello) today.

I was planning to do that this morning, but I forgot.

If I forget this afternoon, you have the right to come over and shoot me.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Paracaidas posted:

With plenty of cover from the left too :shrug:

ahem, fair and balanced

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

Shifty Pony posted:

That's largely because Novo Nordisk and Eli Lily are in a war for market share, but are using barely-disguised kickbacks instead of lower prices to get the upper hand on each other. The scheme to make the kickbacks legal just happens to involve skyrocketing retail prices, but that's just a side effect to them because (now that everyone has insurance) the customers they are competing over are pharmacy benefit managers not the actual users of Novolog/Humalog.

They've also been rountinely overcharging 340b (safety net providers who are supposed to get access to medications at a statutorily set price) for at least 5 years now. I only know this now because last year CMS started reimbursing 340b providers as if we had purchased the drug at the price that the drug companies are supposed to be charging us. Surprise that $120 box of Lantus insulin you purchased actually should have been sold to you at $0.15, and Medicaid will now reimburse you based on that assumed $0.15 price tag!

A regulation that would have administered penalties to drug manufacturers who purposefully overcharged 340b entities to encourage them to stop defrauding the government has been delayed 3 separate times already this year "to ensure that affected parties have sufficient time to make changes needed to facilitate compliance". These are the prices they should have been charging for 10+ years now, this was a regulation stipulated in the Affordable Care Act back in 2010, and regulation that was first proposed in January of 2016. Thank goodness though HRSA is looking out for those poor insulin manufacturers.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

TyroneGoldstein posted:

Finally, you have the supreme court and the decision of Citizens United. This allowed dark money to leverage the previous situation to the eyeballs to attain its goals.

This is the key to the whole thing right here. Not necessarily Citizens United per se, although that did help, but the way money has so embedded itself in politics of the modern era that it has become literally the only thing "serious people" think make a candidate. So both sides fell in thrall to many of the same donors and therefore their goals are aligned even when they have to pretend to fight. The current DNC is run as a Washington Generals to the RNCs Harlem Globetrotters, they are meant to give the illusion of opposition but not actually affect the outcome. The problem of course now is the RNC has been supplanted by the Tea Party and they don't care about putting on a good show, they just want to run up the score.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

The removal of earmarks is another big problem that has contributed to this, I think. When you have moderate politicians that suddenly don't have the ability to point to local projects that they've gotten through congress, people will start looking for more "ideologically pure" candidates. This is where you start seeing Tea Party politicians come through, and primaries from the right.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Glazier posted:

This is the key to the whole thing right here. Not necessarily Citizens United per se, although that did help, but the way money has so embedded itself in politics of the modern era that it has become literally the only thing "serious people" think make a candidate. So both sides fell in thrall to many of the same donors and therefore their goals are aligned even when they have to pretend to fight. The current DNC is run as a Washington Generals to the RNCs Harlem Globetrotters, they are meant to give the illusion of opposition but not actually affect the outcome. The problem of course now is the RNC has been supplanted by the Tea Party and they don't care about putting on a good show, they just want to run up the score.

Hmmm yes. Both parties are exactly the same.

*Loses health insurance, elects fascist orange*

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/JustinElliott/status/874606447891554304

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/874609480301936640

:sad:

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

Night10194 posted:

*tries to resist, gets bought out by inability to let go of the washington consensus, concludes fascist orange is presidential now that he's bombing browns*

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Boy, he must just be boiling with rage. All this bad press and he can't do a goddamn thing about it except whine impotently on Twitter.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

I'm not really sure if its a conflict of interest for an attorney who may be a target of an investigation to represent someone else in that investigation but I feel like it is or it should be.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Imagine if Kasowitz got sanctioned by the ABA lol

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Alter Ego posted:

Boy, he must just be boiling with rage. All this bad press and he can't do a goddamn thing about it except whine impotently on Twitter.

All that anger must be terrible for his blood pressure!

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

What a loving crybaby.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

IUG posted:

What a loving crybaby pissbaby.

FTFY

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Inglonias posted:

I was planning to do that this morning, but I forgot.

If I forget this afternoon, you have the right to come over and shoot me.

I'll hold ya to it. I won't shoot you though because I don't own any guns.

I wish there was more of a difference in the Lt. Gov. candidates. I ended up voting for Fairfax (the black dude) because he went to the most prestigious law school and seemed to have the best resume.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Grapplejack posted:

The removal of earmarks is another big problem that has contributed to this, I think. When you have moderate politicians that suddenly don't have the ability to point to local projects that they've gotten through congress, people will start looking for more "ideologically pure" candidates. This is where you start seeing Tea Party politicians come through, and primaries from the right.

prevent government from helping people -> people demand change -> use racism, sexism, homophobia, transphobia as wedge issue -> primary from the right -> prevent government from helping people -> people demand change -> use racism, sexism, homophobia, transphobia as wedge issue -> primary from the right -> repeat forever

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

I like this because it reads like the apologies would be fake news.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Night10194 posted:

How did you get that out of what I said? The GOP are different because, as was said, the crazies took over. My point was that the Democrats are still operating in the old paradigm of both sides having the same neoliberal goals and politics being a show for the public benefit.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

axeil posted:

I'll hold ya to it. I won't shoot you though because I don't own any guns.

I wish there was more of a difference in the Lt. Gov. candidates. I ended up voting for Fairfax (the black dude) because he went to the most prestigious law school and seemed to have the best resume.

I'm super glad that our attorneys general can run for re election though, because Herring has been solid.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Glazier posted:

How did you get that out of what I said? The GOP are different because, as was said, the crazies took over. My point was that the Democrats are still operating in the old paradigm of both sides having the same neoliberal goals and politics being a show for the public benefit.

Sorry, I misread 'The DNC and RNC are two sides set up to have pointless battles for their cunning masters' as the usual bullshit.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

evilweasel posted:

I'm not really sure if its a conflict of interest for an attorney who may be a target of an investigation to represent someone else in that investigation but I feel like it is or it should be.

He's already, in public and on the record, told staffers they don't need their own attorneys. Ethically speaking he's already gone Bud Dwyer.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

He's already, in public and on the record, told staffers they don't need their own attorneys. Ethically speaking he's already gone Bud Dwyer.

I love how transparently obvious both he and Trump are about their willingness to throw everyone else under the oncoming bus.

That was, after all, why he was asking Comey basically 'Who do I need to give up in order to get rid of this faster' in Comey's memos.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Chilichimp posted:

Cool, these are things I hadn't considered, thanks for the info.
There's an app episode of The West Wing for that: http://westwing.wikia.com/wiki/Enemies

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

That I know is unethical. This is more novel!

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Is the Sessions hearing likely to have anything good, or is it just going to be hours of deflection and "can't answer that publicly"?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
https://twitter.com/JStein_Vox/status/874468249475452928

REALLY?

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

The Lord of Hats posted:

Is the Sessions hearing likely to have anything good, or is it just going to be hours of deflection and "can't answer that publicly"?

That and crap we already know. Nothing major will be revealed today.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/874609480301936640

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/874608587473080320

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/874578159676665857

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/874576057579565056

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Jeff Sessions is going to announce a new 3D Metroid and most of the hearing will be various senators asking him about it.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/mitchellvii/status/874618020928389120

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

The Lord of Hats posted:

The whole thing that got him in trouble in the first place was him weirdly volunteering information for no reason so he might do that again.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

This loving guy

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Do you think his lawyers are pondering killing him to stop him calling it a Travel Ban?

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

Alter Ego posted:

Trump doesn't know how to cope without having a Hillary Clinton-like figure who he can attack to win back soft-supporters, who also serves as a pressure release valve when the media start questioning if they are focusing too much on Trump.

I think Trump would have loved to have a divided government. There would be someone to blame for his failures, he would have an easy target to attack, and on occasion he could play the role of grand deal maker.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Jeff Sessions is going to announce a new 3D Metroid and most of the hearing will be various senators asking him about it.

Knowing Sessions and how he's an evil gently caress who hates cool things you'll play as Adam.

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

TARDISman posted:

Knowing Sessions and how he's an evil gently caress who hates cool things you'll play as Adam.

Nah it'll be Other M 2

Sessions will pull off his mask to reveal he was Yoshio Sakamoto the whole time

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

TARDISman posted:

No, he's an evil dumb gently caress. You play as a white dude named Metroid.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

So would this be obstruction of justice?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

The Lord of Hats posted:

He is going to try and get the Trump side a win and prove his worth. Expect him to answer nothing about Trump citing executive privilege.

• Locked thread