Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

muscles like this! posted:

Looks like that poster was just the returning cast as they just announced a new character joining the team this season. Tala Ashe is Zari Adrianna Tomaz aka Isis. Okay... that name is probably going to change.

Her character is going to be from the near future (2030) and is a hacker, who also has some mystical superpowers given to her by an "ancient source."
...Holy poo poo, I am 100% on board with this idea.

I mean..."quirky hacker lady" may be pushing it a bit. But still. ISIS :shepface:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Looks like that poster was just the returning cast as they just announced a new character joining the team this season. Tala Ashe is Zari Adrianna Tomaz aka Isis. Okay... that name is probably going to change.

Her character is going to be from the near future (2030) and is a hacker, who also has some mystical superpowers given to her by an "ancient source."

If she's from the future, just explain that Islamic State chills out and actually ends up really good.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Wacky terrorist name aside I get a kick out of them bringing in a character who was made for Saturday Morning shows but also I really enjoyed her eventual comic story.

Here's for the Wonder Twins in S4.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

STAC Goat posted:

Wacky terrorist name aside I get a kick out of them bringing in a character who was made for Saturday Morning shows but also I really enjoyed her eventual comic story.

Here's for the Wonder Twins in S4.

Apache Chief, El Dorado and Samurai all appear next season. I hope they let Caity Lotz keep her purple hair, she looks amazing with it.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!
Opening up the Shazam/Marvel Family corner of the DCU? Mister Mind for season three villain!

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
My only concern is that the new character's whole shtick sounds almost identical to that of Hawkgirl. And we all know how that turned out.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I mean, there's a lot of similarities between the Hawks and the Black Adam family but I think that's mostly superficial because they're all Egyptian.

But also we have no idea how exactly she's going to fit or if her larger Black Marvel Family stuff will be at all involved.

As long as there's no Hawkman things should be ok.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

lotus circle posted:

My only concern is that the new character's whole shtick sounds almost identical to that of Hawkgirl. And we all know how that turned out.

I have my faith that they learned their lesson on that front. Hawkgirl herself wasn't a problem. She had an ostensibly decent arc in season 1 and was alright when she got the chance to shine on her own or with certain other main characters like Ray and Sara. They just tied her down too tight to Hawkman and Savage, both of whom were unsalvageably awful and they pulled her to hell with them so she kind of had to be jettisoned with Hawkman in order to sever the show from that whole storyline.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

The Ray and Kendra romance was loving atrocious.

One of the best recurring jokes in season 2 was Ray just enjoying the everloving poo poo out of time travel. Like him abandoning the team and mission to go play Knights of the Roundtable is Class A Stupid, but who cares when the show has this much fun?

Nate and Amaya's relationship hits on roughly the same themes but much more effectively. Hell, I teared up at the Apollo 70s episode.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The Ray/Kendra relationship felt like a forced conflict. Like, she's "destined" to be with Hawkman but only Hawkman really accepts that so of course you need another love interest to create a conflict within her. It felt forced, its a creepy storyline when she inevitably chooses the "destined" love over the one she seemed to actually be feeling, and its pretty much exactly what they did with Cisco to introduce the Hawks in the first place.

I'm not especially invested in Amaya and Nate but it at least seems to just be a thing on its own. Like, I guess it was an excuse to debate "changing history" philosophy but they do that all the time and they actively chose to say "gently caress history."

The one "romance" I actually sort of felt was Snart and Sara even though it never really got far, just because I actually bought into the idea that they were bonding over their mutual desire to be heroes but guilt that they didn't feel worthy because of their pasts.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

STAC Goat posted:

The Ray/Kendra relationship felt like a forced conflict. Like, she's "destined" to be with Hawkman but only Hawkman really accepts that so of course you need another love interest to create a conflict within her. It felt forced, its a creepy storyline when she inevitably chooses the "destined" love over the one she seemed to actually be feeling, and its pretty much exactly what they did with Cisco to introduce the Hawks in the first place.

I'm not especially invested in Amaya and Nate but it at least seems to just be a thing on its own. Like, I guess it was an excuse to debate "changing history" philosophy but they do that all the time and they actively chose to say "gently caress history."

The one "romance" I actually sort of felt was Snart and Sara even though it never really got far, just because I actually bought into the idea that they were bonding over their mutual desire to be heroes but guilt that they didn't feel worthy because of their pasts.

I think Nate is Amaya's destined-to-be baby daddy.

When other people leave their native time and join the Waverider crew, they disappear from time and everything about them just stops. That's why Rip chose the original team, because removing them from the time stream had no impact. But Amaya's destiny is still evident, still part of historical record, they can still go see videos and read about the eventual destruction of her village and know about her eventual grand-daughter. She still exists. She shouldn't exist unless unless Nate is actually part of Amaya's timeline that is supposed to happen and blah blah blah, broke time. Whatever. It almost makes sense.
Also, Nate really should have gone back to the past to live out his life with Amaya in her original time. That would have been the perfect way to make it canon, but I guess the characters are too popular? I sort of doubt that, but whatever.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

Aleph Null posted:

I think Nate is Amaya's destined-to-be baby daddy.

Waited for this reveal all season and it didn't happen. I'm guessing they leave the show at the same time and join/rejoin the JSA sometime next year

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I mean, maybe Nate becomes Megalyn Echikunwoke's dad but it could just as easily go some other way like Maya ending up back in her time and following the same path or some mind wipe or reset whatever. Who knows? The reality is that they actually don't have any idea if Maya's changed her past or not. Its entirely possible she always got on the Waverider, since they more or less said that the JSA's disappearance is explained by them being scattered through time by Rip. So nothing's been changed as far as we know of.

But like Nate, Ray, and Amaya apparently don't see Nate in Megalyn Echikunwoke so they're working on the principle of "gently caress history", even if they're wrong.

You know, because they're always wrong about this stuff.

edit: I really love saying/typing Megalyn Echikunwoke and hope they can get her on board for Legends sooner or later.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

STAC Goat posted:

edit: I really love saying/typing Megalyn Echikunwoke and hope they can get her on board for Legends sooner or later.
She was great in House of Lies, but terrible (or more likely terribly written) in Arrow.

I'm the same with Toks Olagundoye.

spookygonk fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Jun 8, 2017

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

I'm still sad that Booster Gold is tied up in other DC bull, because if the Justice League cartoons I watched as a kid taught me anything it's that Booster Gold would be perfect for time traveling gently caress ups.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Oh My God. This whole team is basically Booster Gold'ing their way through history.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I'm sad during every episode that Darvill was cast as Rip Hunter instead of Booster Gold, and even sadder that Routh was cast as Ray Palmer way back on Arrow, and not Ted Kord Blue Beetle (considering that was who the Arrow writers originally wanted, and he's always been written way more like Ted than like Ray).

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I'm sad during every episode that Darvill was cast as Rip Hunter instead of Booster Gold
They could always use time travel shenanigans to bring Rip Hunter's Dad onto the team, also played by Arthur Darvill.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I'm sad during every episode that Darvill was cast as Rip Hunter instead of Booster Gold, and even sadder that Routh was cast as Ray Palmer way back on Arrow, and not Ted Kord Blue Beetle (considering that was who the Arrow writers originally wanted, and he's always been written way more like Ted than like Ray).

I'm fine with Darvill being Rip Hunter. He's basically channeling his own version of the Doctor and that's fine. I've never seen Darvill playing anything close to the bombastic egoist that Booster is so idk how good he'd be in that role.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
I'd rather see Booster Gold on Supergirl. His particular brand of douchieness would contrast nice with Kara's heroics.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

They kind of made the concept of Booster obsolete with the Legends. There really isn't any reason for him to show up in the CW shows.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know
Great Outdoors was just cancelled so Joe McHale is available... just saying.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

They kind of made the concept of Booster obsolete with the Legends. There really isn't any reason for him to show up in the CW shows.

The base concept of Booster is just some washed up has-been from the future trying to get a second chance at fame with a few future gadgets and his charm. It's only relatively recently that he's any sort of relevant force in fixing or even investigating time and it really only works as a contrast to his original appearances.

Burning_Monk posted:

Great Outdoors was just cancelled so Joe McHale is available... just saying.

I was actually thinking James Roday.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I think Booster Gold would fit fine as a separate time traveler who sells himself as an authority on time travel like Rip but is really just a douchy fuckup even more than the Legends themselves. It would be kind of an inversion on the theme where Sara and Co are actually the more experienced and responsible parties.

And end up being bestest buddies with Ray while we all pretend they made the right decision years ago.

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time
I fell of the comics wagon many years ago, but one thing I remember liking from my old Justice League International comic books as a kid was the interplay between Blue Beetle and Booster Gold. Actually, I liked that version of the Justice League better than most versions of the JLA, and think it had a little of the same feel to it that this show has, with silly banter and in-fighting between kinda B-list heroes, only missing Batman as the reluctant leader who would just pop in from time to time to tell the gang to lace up because poo poo was about to go down, and then get away from the idiots as soon as poo poo had been dealt with.

IŽd love some Blue/Gold action in one of the CW shows, but what's the deal with rights? Are DC planning on using either of them in a movie?

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

kjetting posted:

I fell of the comics wagon many years ago, but one thing I remember liking from my old Justice League International comic books as a kid was the interplay between Blue Beetle and Booster Gold. Actually, I liked that version of the Justice League better than most versions of the JLA, and think it had a little of the same feel to it that this show has, with silly banter and in-fighting between kinda B-list heroes, only missing Batman as the reluctant leader who would just pop in from time to time to tell the gang to lace up because poo poo was about to go down, and then get away from the idiots as soon as poo poo had been dealt with.

IŽd love some Blue/Gold action in one of the CW shows, but what's the deal with rights? Are DC planning on using either of them in a movie?

Beetle, Booster, and the JLI are my all-time favorites, and it would not have taken much to make Legends into a JLI show. As I said, the Arrow writers have been dropping references to Kord Inc. and even Ted Kord since Season 1, but never showed him. Ray Palmer was originally supposed to be Kord, until some edict kept them from using the character. His brainy, nerdy, enthusiastic nice-guy captain of industry schtick has been pure Ted this entire time -- far more characterization than Ray Palmer ever had in the comics, and he would have fit in better as a straight-laced foil for the Arrow, a love interest for Felicity (recalling Ted's friendship with Oracle), and eventually the good-natured heart of the Legends.

Booster would have fit in well too, as a selfish, shallow, time-traveling screw-up who was, at his heart, a good man who just had to learn how to be a friend and a hero. Snart and Mick (who would have been so much fun playing off Blue and Gold) have already had similar arcs on Legends.

There have been rumors for years of a Booster Gold series or a Blue and Gold movie, often with Greg Berlanti himself writing or directing. At one point, Alan Tudyk and Nathan Fillion said they would love to play them, but that was just in an interview. The last thing I heard was that if it happened, it wouldn't be tied to the DCEU, but would be a stand-alone action/buddy-comedy.

Needless to say, anything like this would make me the happiest fanboy ever.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

I mostly like Booster because of the Justice League Unlimited cartoon, along with Batman the Brave and the Bold both of which did a good job with him.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Gorelab posted:

I mostly like Booster because of the Justice League Unlimited cartoon, along with Batman the Brave and the Bold both of which did a good job with him.

The Batman/Booster/Beetle episode of Brave and the Bold was my all-time favorite, although there are countless episodes of that show I've still never seen. It was so great!

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I like generally how Mick changed in a very understated way - he's still selfish, but he knows the stakes, recognises when he's made a bad decision, and is generally much more pensieve than he used to be. I like the exchange when he puts him back in his own time, with the knowledge that later he will sacrifice himself for the greater good.

Mick: "You become a better man.
Snart: "You mean softer..."
Mick: "No... Better."
I also liked his meeting with him in season 1's finale, with "You were always a hero to me..."

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

BioEnchanted posted:

I like generally how Mick changed in a very understated way - he's still selfish, but he knows the stakes, recognises when he's made a bad decision, and is generally much more pensieve than he used to be. I like the exchange when he puts him back in his own time, with the knowledge that later he will sacrifice himself for the greater good.

Mick: "You become a better man.
Snart: "You mean softer..."
Mick: "No... Better."
I also liked his meeting with him in season 1's finale, with "You were always a hero to me..."

I'd really like them to explore how he was turned into Chronos and used for possibly hundreds of years as a bounty hunter, and what they did to him, but they probably won't.
He drinks to keep away the mind control.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

My wife said that Wentworth delivers all his lines as if he's Eartha Kitt Catwoman and now I can't get that out of my head

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Al Borland Corp. posted:

My wife said that Wentworth delivers all his lines as if he's Eartha Kitt Catwoman and now I can't get that out of my head

Thanks for that.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Let's go a degree further - He is Eartha Kitt- Yzma. That makes Mick Rory Kronk.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
"Pull the lever, Mick! WRONG LEVERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR"

And that's how Snart really died.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I could absolutely imagine some scenario where Snart realises he can't actually explain how he and Mick managed to beat the others somewhere and for Mick to produce a flip-chart with a diagram and say, "By all accounts, it's doesn't make sense."

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

Wheat Loaf posted:

I could absolutely imagine some scenario where Snart realises he can't actually explain how he and Mick managed to beat the others somewhere and for Mick to produce a flip-chart with a diagram and say, "By all accounts, it's doesn't make sense."

"Who writes this crap?"

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Al Borland Corp. posted:

It's strange because if you watch Flash Season 1 again, he starts off delivering lines fairly normally, but as the season progresses he gradually starts hamming it up a little bit. :allears:

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

At what point did the writers figure out how stupid these characters were and decide to make them stupid on purpose? Because man the show was so great this season when they decided to go full blown "Time Dummies"

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Probably the reaction to Season 1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.

irlZaphod posted:

It's strange because if you watch Flash Season 1 again, he starts off delivering lines fairly normally, but as the season progresses he gradually starts hamming it up a little bit. :allears:

I remember at the time thinking that the weird lilt he did was terrible on 'Flash', but when he moved over to 'Legends' it was a perfect fit.

• Locked thread