Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Electric Phantasm posted:

One of his breaks will involve crashing a cage into an enemy like a wrecking ball.

You say this like it isn't going to be true. They milked the poo poo out of Joseph's one boulder scene

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Has anyone cleared the Jump Start without either Native Wall or OSBs? I lost Mastery on the A+ because I took too long (and ate a crapload of damage/Ultimate Retaliatories) and that was with Kain BSB/Reno BSB doing heavy lifting for me, Ramza keeping boostga up, and two healers keeping people held together.

I don't think I'd have the juice to punch through it with just three bars per person.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

KataraniSword posted:

Has anyone cleared the Jump Start without either Native Wall or OSBs? I lost Mastery on the A+ because I took too long (and ate a crapload of damage/Ultimate Retaliatories) and that was with Kain BSB/Reno BSB doing heavy lifting for me, Ramza keeping boostga up, and two healers keeping people held together.

I don't think I'd have the juice to punch through it with just three bars per person.

I did by the technical rules you stated, but not by the spirit of what you stated. No native wall or OSB's, but I did use Lightning's USB.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Thundercracker posted:

You say this like it isn't going to be true. They milked the poo poo out of Joseph's one boulder scene

Fair point

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

HPanda posted:

I did by the technical rules you stated, but not by the spirit of what you stated. No native wall or OSB's, but I did use Lightning's USB.

Yeah, thing is, I'm sitting here staring at Agrias BSB and Basch OSB and wondering if it's just easier to try to punch through with imperils and the one physical OSB I do have instead of relying on poo poo that I Do Not Have That Everyone Else Does.

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

KataraniSword posted:

I didn't use wall or OSBs. OK had it, but I never used it.

I got mastery on my first try with:

Lightning (L84)- BSB2/SSB2/Doublecast LMR (Imperil Lightning)
Raijin (L94)- BSB/SSB (Last Stand)
Onion Knight (L99)- OSB/BSB/SSB (Onion Slice)
Ramza (L99)- Shout/Tailwind
Vanille (L99)- BSB/SSB

RW- Eiko USB

I started off the fight with buffs (OK/Ramza), and had Raijin lay down his Last Stand aura that also gives instant cast. Lightning imperiled x3 and then just relied on her command one to deal 4-8 hits. OK, I actually used Onion Slice for additional debuffs before just going back to non-elemental damage. My other Lightning options weren't as survivable yet so I figured I'd just bring a high level NE dude. Ramza alternated Shout and Tailwind for additional heals, but otherwise was just there to hold some breakdowns. Vanille did Vanille things.

It was basically rocket tag with last stands, and I was able to build up Raijin's detonate to do some crazy damage for the killing blow due to all the buffs and Proudclad being triple imperiled. Towards the end Proudclad went nuts and focus fired Vanille down, and then Lightning and OK, but Ramza and Raijin held on long enough for me to get mastery.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
If you have any good Last Stands, those can really help. Holy imperil should work well, too. I would focus on imperiling him as much as possible before the 70% point, then unleashing holy hell.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
I was able to pretty quickly beat Apocalypse Proud Clad with Lightning's USB and OSB as my only source of damage outside of breaks.

Every hit with the OSB did max damage. Lighting + an entrust bot is really good.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
The Men of the Hour relic banner was pushed just a bit ago (for announcement and opening tomorrow):

Cecil, Paladin (FF IV)
Kain (FF IV)
Gilgamesh (FF V)
Locke (FF VI)
Cloud (FF VII)
Sephiroth (FF VII)
Vincent (FF VII)
Squall (FF VIII)
Ramza (FFT)
and Orlandeau (FFT)!

It's a one-time half-price Lucky Draw style banner, with rainbows limited to SSB+ relics for those characters.

(Women of the Hour wasn't pushed yet.)

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

KataraniSword posted:

I mastered the Jump Start with my standard mage team (Raines, Onion, Penelo, Y'shtola, Papalymo, all with BSBs) RW'ing Wall. It got pretty dicey, with IIRC 3 dead at the end, but I won.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

KataraniSword posted:

Yup, did it without either:

Garnet (L99), Protectga/Valigarmada, Trial by Lightning
Red XIII (L85), Full Break/Power Breakdown, Protector's Roar
Kain (L79), Lightning Dive/Leeching Leap, Dragoon's Pride
Sabin (L81), Fires Within/Meteor Crush, Soul Spiral
Eiko (L94), Curada/Curaja, Guardian Mog

RW: Lightning USB

Got a little dicey, but on my winning run got it with everyone alive.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
I hate multiplayer. I hate it I hate it I hate it. I'm no good at it I'm a pausaholic I need to be able to pause or else I will screw 100 things up. I wish I had the tools to do this Apoc+ solo like I've done for months now but I don't.

Honestly a lot of it is this fight. This may be THE WORST fight they've put in this game so far, in my experience. No matter how good a group does you're hosed if he decides to hit a couple AOE's in a row. gently caress this so bad. Holy poo poo that's the second time! A perfect loving team and he just obliterates us in the first couple turns, through multiple last stands and mitigations and everything! What the gently caress!!! Absolutely ridiculous!

Kawalimus fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Jun 13, 2017

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

The team I finally beat it with had 2 Snows with BSBs constantly spamming last stand and even with that a couple of people bit it before the end. It's a completely wretched fight and I honestly wonder if it was even playtested.

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

KataraniSword posted:

Yeah, thing is, I'm sitting here staring at Agrias BSB and Basch OSB and wondering if it's just easier to try to punch through with imperils and the one physical OSB I do have instead of relying on poo poo that I Do Not Have That Everyone Else Does.

I beat both the Jump Start and Apoc+ with my A-Team:

Agrias with Enholy SSB and OSB
OK with BSB
Y'sh with Wall and BSB
Beatrix with BSB
Minfilia with SSB and BSB

So without native Wall it'd be a little harder for you since you couldn't RW a healer USB, but Beatrix and Agrias did a lot of the work.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.

Hogama posted:

The Men of the Hour relic banner was pushed just a bit ago (for announcement and opening tomorrow):

Cecil, Paladin (FF IV)
Kain (FF IV)
Gilgamesh (FF V)
Locke (FF VI)
Cloud (FF VII)
Sephiroth (FF VII)
Vincent (FF VII)
Squall (FF VIII)
Ramza (FFT)
and Orlandeau (FFT)!

It's a one-time half-price Lucky Draw style banner, with rainbows limited to SSB+ relics for those characters.

Ugh, more Lucky Banners trying to take my Steiner and Vivi Mythril away!

I think I might just ignore the Cloud USB banner at this point. Half price chance at Orlandeau OSB and Squall BSB2 is tempting, but some of these SSBs are really old.

If we're still getting the pre-fest Lucky Draws and getting the Women of the Hour, we're at 300 (+ 5) Mythril of Lucky Banners if you plan on pulling on everything.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

The team I finally beat it with had 2 Snows with BSBs constantly spamming last stand and even with that a couple of people bit it before the end. It's a completely wretched fight and I honestly wonder if it was even playtested.

The worst part is we cleared it once but the end bullshit meant only 3 survived. So I'm still at this poo poo. My god what were they thinking. I've never been this angry at a video game IN MY ENTIRE LIFE!!!!!!!!!

AstraSage
May 13, 2013

Hogama posted:

Cecil, Paladin (FF IV)
Kain (FF IV)
Gilgamesh (FF V)
Locke (FF VI)
Cloud (FF VII)
Sephiroth (FF VII)
Vincent (FF VII)
Squall (FF VIII)
Ramza (FFT)
and Orlandeau (FFT)!

I'll rephrase a bit some of my thoughts from the Discord chat: I'll wait for hints of the fest banners by the 18th and see whether they'll come with Always Luckies or if Tomorrow's banner is gonna be one of their replacements.

Overall, I don't care for the SSBs (outside maybe Ramza's Chant) there, I already hit big with TGC's OSB two DUs ago and as much I'd want the Bursts listed aside of the dupes (Ramza's, Squall's BSB1) or the antique ones (Pecil and Cloud's BSB1s) I don't think I'd try to chase them in that prize pool when I can wait for better ones where Half-prices are concerned...

It's a shame Celes' BSB2 is probably gonna get released after the Tuna Taco Fest Banner goes live, though.

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

AstraSage posted:

after the Tuna Taco Fest Banner goes live, though.

Really?

MikeSevigny
Aug 6, 2002

Habs 2006: Cristobal Persuasion
Is there a reason it's these particular men on the banner? I liked the event they did last year where they broke everyone up into men/women/kids/non-humans, and Cecil got stuck in the last group to round them out because he's from the moon.

I still have not beaten any of the top three battles this week. I know what I need to do on the Jump Start but I haven't quite pulled it off yet (I think I'm going to give up on debuffing and just stick three healers in with my two thunder OSBs) and all my multiplayer runs have ended very late with back-to-back AOEs. I actually have two very strong ice characters in Squall and Serah, but I'm not using either of them because pubbies still think you can clear this fight with two healers and one source of Last Stand.

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

MikeSevigny posted:

Is there a reason it's these particular men on the banner? I liked the event they did last year where they broke everyone up into men/women/kids/non-humans, and Cecil got stuck in the last group to round them out because he's from the moon.

There was a survey and they asked who the coolest men and coolest women were. So its not surprising that those are the results of the most popular men. I don't know if the matching women's banner has been uploaded yet, but I'm guessing it's going to have most of the usual suspects- Terra, Celes, etc.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Well... Pulled on Ff13.

3/22

Raines bsb (dupe), fang ssb, and Noel ssb. Guess it wasn't meant to be vanille.

MikeSevigny
Aug 6, 2002

Cinnamon Bear posted:

There was a survey and they asked who the coolest men and coolest women were. So its not surprising that those are the results of the most popular men. I don't know if the matching women's banner has been uploaded yet, but I'm guessing it's going to have most of the usual suspects- Terra, Celes, etc.

Oh, that's right. I remember now because there was only one male character who truly exuded coolness on the entire list (it's Gilgamesh, I was thinking of Gilgamesh). I think I'm going to see how long that banner lasts and if we have a better idea of how much extra mythril we're getting around anniversary before I pull.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

That's enough for tonight. Maybe tomorrow night will bring better luck. I will say I started leading the raid groups and I liked doing that better so at least that got me to look at that.

But if I shoot myself I'm making sure to leave a note and I will make sure everyone knows EXACTLY what caused this. Nothing but a god drat turtle!!! I was gonna watch a movie and now that's ruined!

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
I think the problem is that he's just too damned fast. A giant turtle should not be able to move that quickly. Towards the end of the fight, the thing hits with a giant defense-ignoring aoe, then gets to go again and again, all before even one turn comes up. You pretty much have to have several people with Last Stand all queued up and hope the timing works out.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Just did the U++ cm in one try. My lovely pull ended up helping a lot. Nabaats reverse wall with Noel's BSB made him tickle me for most of the fight. Hopes BSB RWed gave me the DPS I needed to win.

MikeSevigny
Aug 6, 2002

HPanda posted:

I think the problem is that he's just too damned fast. A giant turtle should not be able to move that quickly. Towards the end of the fight, the thing hits with a giant defense-ignoring aoe, then gets to go again and again, all before even one turn comes up. You pretty much have to have several people with Last Stand all queued up and hope the timing works out.

As an update, I finally got him, and our team had two Last Standers and two Magic Blinkers, and that's a much better mix because you're not always sitting at 50 HP at the end, in case he tries a weaker AOE attack like Quake. Most of his worst attacks seem to be magic.

I also got the Jump Start done with a History's Truth RM. The buffs were nice but the quickcasts were what put me over the top.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

KPC_Mammon posted:

I was able to pretty quickly beat Apocalypse Proud Clad with Lightning's USB and OSB as my only source of damage outside of breaks.

Every hit with the OSB did max damage. Lighting + an entrust bot is really good.

I wonder if that'll work with TG Cid, his OSB is lightning element as well.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Hogama posted:

Cecil, Paladin (FF IV)
Kain (FF IV)
Gilgamesh (FF V)
Locke (FF VI)
Cloud (FF VII)
Sephiroth (FF VII)
Vincent (FF VII)
Squall (FF VIII)
Ramza (FFT)
and Orlandeau (FFT)!

This doesn't seem too great. While there are obviously good relics, there are a lot of really mediocre stuff, or outright duds.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Attestant posted:

This doesn't seem too great. While there are obviously good relics, there are a lot of really mediocre stuff, or outright duds.

Cutting Triggers, Organics, and Lustrous Swords for everyone!

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

KataraniSword posted:

Cutting Triggers, Organics, and Lustrous Swords for everyone!

Or anything from Vincent, really.

Randabis
Apr 2, 2005

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I wonder if that'll work with TG Cid, his OSB is lightning element as well.

It does as has already been mentioned. Thunder God mode and the action speed boost on EX mode from light's USB also stack so it will poo poo out damage very quickly the more soul bars you have.

Re:manly banner...I'm also on the fence...Some dupes and stuff I'd never use, but on the other hand Always Pull on Lucky Draws....

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Attestant posted:

Or anything from Vincent, really.

Those aren't too bad. They're not top shelf, but they're perfectly solid. A +20% faithga is probably the worst of the lot but there's enough ATK/MAG or Raines Mode or MAG/MND out there that it's not as awful as it used to be.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

The wonder and splendor of the Men of the Hour.

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

It's in the garbage. Where it belongs.
Ouch seven dupes and a ton of straight up trash for grabs. Only 25 though!

If a lucky is worth skipping it's definitely this one.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

I'll probably pull on it cause I'm dumb and there's some cool stuff I want on it even though I have a bunch of potential dupes.

edit: v- God drat, I thought I was pushing it with 8.

Grizzled Patriarch fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Jun 13, 2017

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

I literally have 20 dupes on that banner so gently caress that

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
Finally tackled the turtle. It really is the battle of the last stands. Had two Snows and my Relm last standing it up, and it was a constant cycle of people dying and coming back (plus some curaises in there and Asylums for good measure). And that was with his power debuffed to all hell. This was not a particularly well-designed fight.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I pulled so much on lucky draws I'm almost out of mythril

I need to save at least 50 for FF7 coming up so I think I'll skip this?

Maybe Not Always Pull On Lucky Draws

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

...I got him. Finally early this morning I was on a team and we got him. It was a heavy mitigation setup with little offense. Three different Relms, and all of us seemed to know how to handle mitigation. My OK was the boostga. There was a Fang with Highwind for extra mitigation. And there was Faris with Phantom and Beryl Serpent. This took a few minutes but it was enough. His very weak phase of Ultimate Trampling was contained pretty well by three relms in BSB mode with single target heals and last stands. So only one guy was dead at the end. It's over. My god it's over I can't believe it. And I somehow am not dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Ulty
Dec 12, 2006

Represent.
I have so far been unable to beat U++ Barty or the JumpStart event. I have native wall and Shout, but no USBs, not very many useful OSBs, and only a handful of relevant BSBs. Reno and Shantotto's BSBs are the only lightning ones I have, and Shantotto dies so fast that it's barely worth bringing her. I'm okay with punting on the U++, but I'd really like to take down the JumpStart battle. Is Reno plus a Lightning USB RW enough to carry the day?

Maybe I'll get lucky on the new draw and pull the TG Cid OSB.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Maybe Not Always Pull On Lucky Draws

Mods?

Uncle Ulty fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Jun 13, 2017

• Locked thread