Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

first good news on healthcare in a long time:

https://twitter.com/TopherSpiro/status/874637319030046721

This may blow up conservative support for the AHCA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
https://twitter.com/AP_Politics/status/874636802824568832

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

Anora posted:

Only had time to read the headline and a few tweets from Olberman, but this seems big/worrying:

Bloomberg: 39 state's voting registry databases hacked by Russia

Everyone needs to read this.

quote:

Russia’s cyberattack on the U.S. electoral system before Donald Trump’s election was far more widespread than has been publicly revealed, including incursions into voter databases and software systems in almost twice as many states as previously reported.

In Illinois, investigators found evidence that cyber intruders tried to delete or alter voter data. The hackers accessed software designed to be used by poll workers on Election Day, and in at least one state accessed a campaign finance database. Details of the wave of attacks, in the summer and fall of 2016, were provided by three people with direct knowledge of the U.S. investigation into the matter. In all, the Russian hackers hit systems in a total of 39 states, one of them said.

The scope and sophistication so concerned Obama administration officials that they took an unprecedented step -- complaining directly to Moscow over a modern-day “red phone.” In October, two of the people said, the White House contacted the Kremlin on the back channel to offer detailed documents of what it said was Russia’s role in election meddling and to warn that the attacks risked setting off a broader conflict.

One of the mysteries about the 2016 presidential election is why Russian intelligence, after gaining access to state and local systems, didn’t try to disrupt the vote. One possibility is that the American warning was effective. Another former senior U.S. official, who asked for anonymity to discuss the classified U.S. probe into pre-election hacking, said a more likely explanation is that several months of hacking failed to give the attackers the access they needed to master America’s disparate voting systems spread across more than 7,000 local jurisdictions

In many states, the extent of the Russian infiltration remains unclear. The federal government had no direct authority over state election systems, and some states offered limited cooperation. When then-DHS Secretary Jeh Johnson said last August that the department wanted to declare the systems as national critical infrastructure -- a designation that gives the federal government broader powers to intervene -- Republicans balked. Only after the election did the two sides eventually reach a deal to make the designation.

I believe Putin's goal was to push the narrative that Crooked Hillary was going to steal the election, then leak these hacks to spread suspicion about the election results after she won. Any investigations into Trump's collusion with Russia would have been brushed off as her trying to silence him for speaking out about the rigged election.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Paracaidas posted:

Should Democrats engage in a symbolic protest of trying to slow the senate to a crawl (for 18 months?) in order to... still not stop the health care bill?

Yes. It's one thing to pointlessly hold out on a Cabinet or sub-Cabinet nominee that has widespread approval, but this is something that should be done on principle. This bill will kill people, plain and simple, and Democrats better do anything they can to stop it becoming law.

Hmm. Does this mean he'll be very disturbed if/when Trump fires Mueller?

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

By the end of the week, he'll be saying the President has the right to fire him.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

So when Trump fires him, how will Ryan turn around and suddenly justify it? Not, like, "how can he do that," obviously he's gonna, more like, I wonder what particular line of bullshit he'll take.

And how deeply troubled do we think McCain will be?

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Don't they only get to use reconciliation once or something? So you could stop other bad things.

What makes you think that there won't be more reconciliation bills after Senate rules are changed? Evil turtle has no problem changing the Senate rules to get the things he wants passed.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Alter Ego posted:

Yes. It's one thing to pointlessly hold out on a Cabinet or sub-Cabinet nominee that has widespread approval, but this is something that should be done on principle. This bill will kill people, plain and simple, and Democrats better do anything they can to stop it becoming law.

In terms of senate procedure, that appears to be precisely nothing.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

evilweasel posted:

I'll take your word for it.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Translation: "Nonono you stupid orange gently caress NONONONONONO"

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Blitz7x posted:

I'm wondering if this will lead to a higher crime rate in urban areas?

Odds are pretty good. Unfortunately.

On a personal note some of the worst motherfuckers I ever met while I was homeless (and I mean these people were motherfuckers) were once genuinely great human beings who watched a loved one wither away and die due to lack of medical care while they could do nothing but hold that persons hand and lie to them that everything was going to be okay. People can snap when they go through something like that, and if a whoooooole bunch of people start going through that scenario at the same time then civil society can start to break down a bit.

Prester Jane fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Jun 13, 2017

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Anora posted:

Only had time to read the headline and a few tweets from Olberman, but this seems big/worrying:

Yo, guys, paper ballots are pretty rad, why did we switch off of those again?

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

https://twitter.com/USATODAY/status/874639407889793024

Here we go. Now we wait for the tweets.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Ramos posted:

Diebold contributes to the campaigns of the officials who decide what to use.

vvv That too vvv

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Ramos posted:

Then how would we ensure that the wrong sort didn't vote?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Jeff Sessions is going to announce a new 3D Metroid and most of the hearing will be various senators asking him about it.

The last minority is in captivity. The country is at peace.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

evilweasel posted:

But they only use abortion as a wedge. They don't really give a gently caress, at least not anywhere near as much as they care about tax cuts and killing the (already-alive) poor.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Rosensteain and Tillerson are both speaking to Senate committees/panels right now.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

fsif posted:

By the end of the week, he'll be saying the President has the right to fire him.

"Look, the president's new at this, okay"

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

He cannot resist this. It is the juiciest, ripest, most low-hanging fruit in the loving orchard, and it calls to him.

Tweet, Donny. Do it. Your public demands it.

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Ramos posted:

Paper ballots are a good thing. But if you can gently caress up the voter registration system then you can prevent your political opponents from voting.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Oh boy. He's going to fire Rosenstein. Here we go.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Anora posted:

I'm experiencing some anxiety right now...

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

evilweasel posted:

Can't Mike Pence just overrule the parliamentarian?

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Harrow posted:

So when Trump fires him, how will Ryan turn around and suddenly justify it? Not, like, "how can he do that," obviously he's gonna, more like, I wonder what particular line of bullshit he'll take.

He won't do or say poo poo, like usual. Probably wouldn't even really solidly comment on it. If you painted a portrait of Paul Ryan, it would just be an extreme close up of a shrugging shoulder.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

business hammocks posted:

But they only use abortion as a wedge. They don't really give a gently caress, at least not anywhere near as much as they care about tax cuts and killing the (already-alive) poor.

A ton of the HFC are true believers.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Bit of a random but Donnie related question, any updates of Ted aka "I shat my pants to i wouldn't get boo boos in Nam" Nug and his potential campaign for whatever?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Can't Mike Pence just overrule the parliamentarian?

He can, but only with 50 votes from the Senate and a number of Senators are on the record saying they're not ok with that. Which is a big reason why I think this is more damaging for the AHCA than you'd think: they can't just tell the crazies that they tried but it's impossible. It is possible, they just have to break the law. So the crazies will be less willing to go along and will demand they overrule the parliamentarian.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I wonder how much the GOP tune is going to change if Ossoff takes the seat. They haven't paid any sort of electoral price yet for any of their shenanigans despite a few close calls.

kartikeya
Mar 17, 2009

There Bias Two posted:

I'm guessing Thursday, but I'm still an optimist, somehow.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

nachos posted:

I wonder how much the GOP tune is going to change if Ossoff takes the seat. They haven't paid any sort of electoral price yet for any of their shenanigans despite a few close calls.

It will change to a tune of intimidation and voter suppression and violence.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

nachos posted:

(1) out of state money!!!!!! (2) Handel is apparently known for blowing these sort of races, she's basically like Georgia's Martha Coakley (which is a description of her I heard months ago, so it's not just something they've started saying now that it's at risk of loss), so they'll say she was just a bad candidate

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Boy I'm just stunned that Tillerson opposes the new Russia sanctions bill.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Spiritus Nox posted:

It will change to a tune of intimidation and voter suppression and violence.

But that's already the tune.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account

evilweasel posted:

You misspelled "may force Pence to overrule the parliamentarian which he definitely will"

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

There Bias Two posted:

Yeah, Rosenstein made it pretty clear he'll resign rather than follow the order. Well, not so much that he'll resign, he'll just ignore the order and if Trump doesn't like it he can fire Rosenstein. At that point he would have to start going down the list of career people rather than political appointees, I think, so he might have to go real far down before he gets someone who will follow the order.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

evilweasel posted:

(1) out of state money!!!!!! (2) Handel is apparently known for blowing these sort of races, she's basically like Georgia's Martha Coakley (which is a description of her I heard months ago, so it's not just something they've started saying now that it's at risk of loss), so they'll say she was just a bad candidate

The thing is, how did 'Oh, it was just Martha Coakley' end up working out for the dems?

Not well.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Elotana posted:

You misspelled "may force Pence to overrule the parliamentarian which he definitely will"

Pence definitely will if given the chance, but he needs the 50 people to back up his ruling. There's no indication he has that.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

nachos posted:

The GOP is a simple creature, living most of its days either making GBS threads, sleeping, or eating. However when frightened, it is capable of releasing a toxic gas which obscures it from threats and sticks to whatever it touches.

If Ossoff takes the seat they're gonna panic, and you'll no doubt hear a bunch of poo poo about his victory either being a fluke or the result of the vote being somehow compromised (and completely ignoring the cognitive dissonance that goes along with that thinking). They'd also probably double down on fund raising for future races.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Night10194 posted:

But that's already the tune.

They'll start playing loud.

• Locked thread