Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Ausmund posted:

Care to explain?

Does that poster have an MA in literature?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

I think the ending was fantastic.

In the universe the writers created, she's not lying, we know. They were prepared to film sections of her journey in the other world, and show them to us, as they said. So as far as the writers are concerned, she did go, and did find the departed. (Or at least imagined it so clearly that it was worth filming a "dream segment")

But for whatever reason, they've given it to us in this fashion instead, and it's just superior. Ok, in the writer's vision, she went and experienced it. And if you want the story as they intended it, that's what happened. But they gave us the chance to see it as we WANT it to end. The way they've given us the option is just ridiculously clever and I am grateful they decided to make it ambiguous. We need more of this kind of storytelling from writers that can execute as well as this.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Yeah, reading about what they had planned to film made me really want to see it, but I can appreciate the way they chose instead

Plus it was much cheaper

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

Funso Banjo posted:

I think the ending was fantastic.

In the universe the writers created, she's not lying, we know. They were prepared to film sections of her journey in the other world, and show them to us, as they said. So as far as the writers are concerned, she did go, and did find the departed. (Or at least imagined it so clearly that it was worth filming a "dream segment")

But for whatever reason, they've given it to us in this fashion instead, and it's just superior. Ok, in the writer's vision, she went and experienced it. And if you want the story as they intended it, that's what happened. But they gave us the chance to see it as we WANT it to end. The way they've given us the option is just ridiculously clever and I am grateful they decided to make it ambiguous. We need more of this kind of storytelling from writers that can execute as well as this.

You may have misread those interviews. When the idea was first mentioned at their brainstorming session way back before they wrote the rest of the season it was intended to be an unambiguous look at Nora's journey into the world of the departed. But that was just one moment at the start of a long process. Doesn't mean that was still the intended meaning by the time the whole creative process was over. IIRC Perotta vetoed that idea pretty much right away, and then later during the production of the episode they didn't tell even Carrie Coon which way to play the scene. They let her choose.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Lord Krangdar posted:

You may have misread those interviews. When the idea was first mentioned at their brainstorming session way back before they wrote the rest of the season it was intended to be an unambiguous look at Nora's journey into the world of the departed. But that was just one moment at the start of a long process. Doesn't mean that was still the intended meaning by the time the whole creative process was over. IIRC Perotta vetoed that idea pretty much right away, and then later during the production of the episode they didn't tell even Carrie Coon which way to play the scene. They let her choose.

But let's not forget what Lindelof said about shooting the first scene of the show, with the woman in the car. Someone from the crew said "what if we shot it another way, too, from the perspective of the baby, and mom is gone?" and they didn't do that, only because they were losing light. Since then, that idea stuck in his head.

Also, I'd like to think that in the other world, there was finally a full Perfect Strangers reunion show.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Also, I'd like to think that in the other world, there was finally a full Perfect Strangers reunion show.
It they ever filmed a short epilogue in the same way that Lost got "A New Man In Charge", then this is what they should do.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

There's no problem with believing Nora's story. It's asinine to think either answer is the right answer though. Sure Damon seems to have made up his mind, Tom is on the other side though. Damon even admits that he thinks Carrie Coon's opinion is more valuable than his, and she said she made up her mind but won't tell people.

She did say though (unless I'm mis-remembering) that she played the scene with a decision. She alluded that even if it was a lie, Nora was so invested in it that it might as well be real.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Lord Krangdar posted:

Yeah, this is right. They also filmed Laurie committing suicide and then had second thoughts and changed it and made Laurie alive.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
It's probably been said already, but I'd love to watch just a few episodes of the world where 98% of the people vanished and people have to migrate and find others, ultimately consolidating but leaving vast amounts of the world vacant, then after several years this scientist who was thought to have vanished appears, followed by a few hundred others who appear sporadically in different parts of the world.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
You guys should read up on your Barthes and your Foucault if you're​ bringing the authors into it:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Death_of_the_Author

quote:

Barthes' essay argues against traditional literary criticism's practice of incorporating the intentions and biographical context of an author in an interpretation of a text, and instead argues that writing and creator are unrelated.

Taking Nora's story at face value really is extremely retarded and demonstrates a total lack of understanding of the finale that has to be, I imagine, the product of a severely broken brain. It also totally diminishes the power of the finale, since the lie and Kevin and Nora's acceptance of it is the whole point of the scene, and the whole point of their character development. It doesn't matter what Lindelof says or doesn't say -- we can only go by what is there.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

oliwan posted:

You guys should read up on your Barthes and your Foucault if you're​ bringing the authors into it:

Thank god you have your MA in literature and can educate us plebs. What day in your courses did you learn about Death of the Author? Day 1 or did they save it all the way until the beginning of day 2??

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I don't even think it's, strictly speaking, a lie. It's just not true, and she's deluded herself to the point where she basically believes it. She just needs someone else to share the delusion with.

Ultimately, for a show that so often was about the power of delusion -- both in regards to self-delusion, and the way it operates on a mass scale -- I reckon it makes a strong thematic endpoint. The alternative is to have the show come completely unteathered, and raises a thousand stupid questions that it just can't solve.

(Also the more I think about it, the less I feel that Kevin's deathworld actually contributed to the show. I get that it contributes a bit, in terms of characterisation, and I know a lot of people found it very entertaining, but on some level it's basically a massive tangent.)

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Open Source Idiom posted:

I don't even think it's, strictly speaking, a lie. It's just not true, and she's deluded herself to the point where she basically believes it. She just needs someone else to share the delusion with.

Ultimately, for a show that so often was about the power of delusion -- both in regards to self-delusion, and the way it operates on a mass scale -- I reckon it makes a strong thematic endpoint. The alternative is to have the show come completely unteathered, and raises a thousand stupid questions that it just can't solve.

(Also the more I think about it, the less I feel that Kevin's deathworld actually contributed to the show. I get that it contributes a bit, in terms of characterisation, and I know a lot of people found it very entertaining, but on some level it's basically a massive tangent.)

a good post in the Leftovers thread.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

oliwan posted:

Taking Nora's story at face value really is extremely retarded and demonstrates a total lack of understanding of the finale that has to be, I imagine, the product of a severely broken brain. It also totally diminishes the power of the finale, since the lie and Kevin and Nora's acceptance of it is the whole point of the scene, and the whole point of their character development. It doesn't matter what Lindelof says or doesn't say -- we can only go by what is there.

You suck

big time bisexual
Oct 16, 2002

Cool Party

The Dave posted:

I'd say Kevin's car too.

It was a Mitsubishi i-MiEV

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

So what you're saying is that the Shlong Scanner is real but the Departure Machine isn't.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

oliwan posted:

I'm starting to doubt you have the worthless MA that you claim. You have a limited understanding of Barthes and art in general.

You also use the phrase "extremely retarded."

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

big time bisexual posted:

It was a Mitsubishi i-MiEV

I thought it was some current electric car...reminded me of how Children of Men just used then-current Fiats and Renault models with some extra body panels to make the cars of the near future.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

oliwan posted:

You should go gently caress yourself. It must really gnaw at you that you'll never be as good at anything as Lindelof is at writing TV.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

What's funny is that you only need to take out a small chunk:

oliwan posted:

Taking Nora's story at face value really [...] diminishes the power of the finale, since the lie and Kevin and Nora's acceptance of it is the whole point of the scene, and the whole point of their character development. It doesn't matter what Lindelof says or doesn't say -- we can only go by what is there.

And suddenly it's just a post expressing a valid opinion about the show without being unnecessarily lovely to other people!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

"I have an MA...."

".... your view is extremely retarded."

:thumbsup:

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

But let's not forget what Lindelof said about shooting the first scene of the show, with the woman in the car. Someone from the crew said "what if we shot it another way, too, from the perspective of the baby, and mom is gone?" and they didn't do that, only because they were losing light. Since then, that idea stuck in his head.

Plus it's a nice callback to LOST: even back in Season 1 people were suggesting that maybe the 98% disappeared from the point of view of the 2%, just like LOST ended with them all in purgatory, like what people were theorizing during the first season of that show

:grin:

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

oliwan posted:

My reading of "Death of the Author" is that critics are desperate to pretend their views have meaning, and sometimes try to downplay the importance of the author. I'm sure he intended another message when writing it but, well, death of the author.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

I'm glad I don't have an MA in Lit so I can enjoy good TV shows like The Leftovers

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I should mention that I have a BA in English and this MA English guy is one of my favorite characters in recent memory, and I know good characters *nods towards unread copy of Ulysses on shelf and wiggles eyebrows*

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

oliwan posted:

Why does TVIV always bring out the biggest loving assholes?

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

The show would have been really different if they had used that scene from the baby's perspective. It would have kind of answered part of the mystery as to where everyone went. I like the idea of filming Nora going to the other side since it can be portrayed as her telling a story (whether you believe it or not), but once you show the baby's perspective there is no mystery.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

It sounds like they meant to have the mom be one of the 2% in this hypothetical scene

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I don't have a MA in Literature but from what I can recall from all of my lit classes, interpreting the material differently never seemed to be a problem and I could be wrong but I was never called 'extremely retarded' for offering alternative viewpoints.
:thunk:

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

This feels like the True Detective thread, only before the foot stamping and clenched fists

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Professor Shark posted:

This feels like the True Detective thread, only before the foot stamping and clenched fists

What happened there? Seemed like a great show.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I liked all the titties

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

RentACop posted:

It sounds like they meant to have the mom be one of the 2% in this hypothetical scene

What? I thought he was pretty clear on how the crew member was meaning that they'd show what happens from the perspective of the 2% at the moment of departure.

Edit: that is a goddamned terrible sentence but I'm tired and wish that this barely-sleeping infant would at least temporarily depart for dreamland. :argh:

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.
I want to know what oliwan thinks of the new Twin Peaks.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

What happened there? Seemed like a great show.

Remember that kid who did really well on the Math test because he was sitting next to the smartest kid in class, but then the teacher changed the seating arrangement?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Professor Shark posted:

Remember that kid who did really well on the Math test because he was sitting next to the smartest kid in class, but then the teacher changed the seating arrangement?

Oh, Nicky Pizzas...

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

i once took a course in traffic directing and can safely say that the leftovers is a tv show that i watched and mostly enjoyed. now yield left fuckers.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
I played football for the University of Phoenix so I think I'm qualified to say that this is a good show.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Oh, Nicky Pizzas...

Yeah, that kid! Well he flunked his next test so his parents got him a tutor. I'm really looking forward to Season 3!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

ruddiger posted:

I liked all the titties
Yes, True Detective had some quality nudity.

• Locked thread