Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

My girl will be Queen Style of Fashion Mountain as a monk and there's nothing you can do about it. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SL the Pyro
Jun 16, 2013

My soul cries out
with the desire to
FRACTURE
your puny spine.

what do you mean that hotkey disappeared

Vadoc posted:

Skullcrusher's yearbook quote and picture.

Nah, I'll do something more proper for that. I'll keep the quote though.

Skullcrusher Mountain
Voted most likely to secretly be an eldritch collective of Lalafells.
"gently caress PVP. gently caress IT FOREVER."

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
How long until servers go down?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Mordiceius posted:

in like 2 days?

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

They go down thursday Morning

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

Mordiceius posted:

1 day, 19:21:37

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Currently playing a White Mage but based on what I'm hearing I was thinking about switching, but does anyone have any good guides on how to play Astrologian? Picked it up once I got to the Heavensward content, but it's so complicated, especially since they just kind of thrust you into it.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Truga posted:

in like 2 days?

Im at E3 this week, so I'm away from the game. Was just curious when we would be seeing the patch notes. Wasn't sure if it was 24 or 48 hours of downtime.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Shy posted:

What are these mask and dress?

It's the Alex striking mask from A10S and the China dress from the Mogstation.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Oh, yeah. It appears we're getting 24h of downtime.

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

Verisimilidude posted:

Currently playing a White Mage but based on what I'm hearing I was thinking about switching, but does anyone have any good guides on how to play Astrologian? Picked it up once I got to the Heavensward content, but it's so complicated, especially since they just kind of thrust you into it.

You just have to remember what the cards do when used or burned, otherwise I don't think there's anything more complicated from the other healers.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Mordiceius posted:

Im at E3 this week, so I'm away from the game. Was just curious when we would be seeing the patch notes. Wasn't sure if it was 24 or 48 hours of downtime.

I heard there was supposed to be preliminary patch notes today, then full notes friday?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Mordiceius posted:

If only there was a website where you could easily find this or any other information pertaining to the game.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Or perhaps some kind of maintenance notice in an obvious place, like the login screen? That would be awfully convenient.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Fister Roboto posted:

If only there was a website where you could easily find this or any other information pertaining to the game.

I think it’s on the launcher as well :thunk:

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Fister Roboto posted:

Or perhaps some kind of maintenance notice in an obvious place, like the login screen? That would be awfully convenient.

Which would be useful if I had or was at a computer.

Fister Roboto posted:

There is. The Something Awful forums.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Or you could look it up on the lodestone and find it out for yourself a thousand times faster.

seriously this isn't difficult

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009

Verisimilidude posted:

I don't know of any guides, but imo, AST isn't too bad to play (at least for a relatively casual player like myself). So long as you do some dungeons while you're leveling, you should pick up the nuances pretty quickly. Some tips, though: As noted, you'll need to remember what the cards do both when played and when royal roaded. That's the biggest new thing to get use to, and you can weave your card stuff between gcds.

Benefic and Helios don't change with sect (aside from the casting speed bonus or potency bonus of each sect), and they're basically your Cure and Medica I, respectively.

In Diurnal Sect, AST plays more like a WHM:
Aspected Benefic = Regen + a small up front Cure, and
Aspected Helios = Medica II

In Nocturnal Sect, AST plays more like a SCH:
Aspected Benefic = a better Adloquium
Aspected Helios = Succor

Edit: also remember that Aspsected Benefic is insta-cast, so you can cast it on the move or on the tail end of another cast. I regularly throw Aspected Benefic after a Benefic to add potency and get the shield/regen effect on someone that needed more healing than a single Benefic.

In 8 man content, use the sect that opposes your other healer, so Diurnal if the other healer is a SCH or a Nocturnal AST, Nocturnal if the other healer is a WHM or Diurnal AST. In 4 man content, use whichever you prefer. Some folks like Diurnal, some like Nocturnal. I personally prefer Diurnal, because I throw Aspected Benefic on the tank, Cleric Stance, and Gravity away.

Some of the later flash the AST gets is great for extending their buffs (Time Dilation, Celestial opposition) both of which add time to buffs you put on people (stack the tank with a Bole, Synastry, Aspected Benefic, Aspected Helios then drop Time Dilation and Celestial Opposition on them and don't worry about healing them for like a minute). Collective Unconscious combines the SCH and WHM ground placement abilities into a regen + damage reduction bubble, but you have to channel it - its great when you know a big raid damage effect is coming - toss the shield up and protect your bros.

Edit: also remember to use your refresh - Lumniferous Aether - as able. I like to CS and DPS so I often find myself dragging the bottom of the mp barrel but the refresh helps. You can also fish yourself up a Ewer card if you have to have more Gravity.

Marathanes fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Jun 13, 2017

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Also remember in dungeons you can sect dance between pulls to get both a shield and a regen on the tank.

Logicspren
Oct 21, 2010

Marathanes posted:

In Nocturnal Sect, AST plays more like a SCH:
Aspected Benefic = a slightly weaker Adloquium
Aspected Helios = Succor

Everything is changing soon, but currently the Aspected Benefic shield is more powerful than Adloquium unless Adlo critically heals.

My favorite trick in higher level dungeons is using Synastry on the tank, then dropping Collective Unconscious and the Aspected Benefic HoT on them and using Time Dilation to extend the whole thing. Your tank heals for several thousand HP every three seconds for about 40 seconds, letting you DPS to your heart's content.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Verisimilidude posted:

The death of the White Mage is extremely exaggerated, and while they're going to be "suboptimal" for savage raid progression, they look like they're going to be a fine for literally everything else. Most of their weaknesses from Heavensward have been addressed, they're going to have the highest personal dps of the healers, and their healing throughput is still amazing. Their post 60 lilies and confession mechanics are bad, sure, but they're still a perfectly serviceable job. I'd wager that taking into consideration everything that we know now, they're better than 3.0 ASTs.

If you feel like playing White Mage, play White Mage.

Diurnal Astros now are nearly identical to WHM's core toolkit. Cure is Benefic, Medica is Helios, Aspected Benefic is Regen, etc. If you're unsure of cards, throw Balance and Arrow on people, Bole on the tank, and royal road or throw away the rest. You'll still be better with cards than most Asts I play with.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Against my better judgement I resubbed to this game. I haven't played since like 2014 and i didn't even finish ARR then so I rolled a new character on Excalibur. Still trying to relearn everything before I have to learn everything again later this week.

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009

Logicspren posted:

Everything is changing soon, but currently the Aspected Benefic shield is more powerful than Adloquium unless Adlo critically heals.

What about the total heal + shield for Aspected Benefic vs Adloquium? In that case, I was under the impression that Aldo was still on top, but I'll admit, as a filthy casual, I may have been wrong (and I could have worded my advice more clearly).

Edit: edited my prior post to reflect the posts below responding to this question. Praise be to the keepers of the sacred AST knowledge.

Marathanes fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Jun 13, 2017

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

I think we get patch notes live reading tonight at 7:30pm est or something like that

Kobata
Oct 11, 2012

Marathanes posted:

What about the total heal + shield for Aspected Benefic vs Adloquium? In that case, I was under the impression that Aldo was still on top, but I'll admit, as a filthy casual, I may have been wrong (and I could have worded my advice more clearly).

Apsected Benefic is 170% shield all the time, with a base potency of 190 (maybe 250 in noct? the tooltip on xivdb is weirdly phrased) (+10% from nocturnal's passsive). Adloquium is a base potency of 300, with a 100% shield, except when it crits where it's a 200% shield.

If the media tooltip values haven't changed, noct aspected benefic is going up to 300% shield in Stormblood, which is frankly rather absurd.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Marathanes posted:

Currently it's a 250 * 1.1 = 275 potency heal, with a 170% shield = 468 shield.

742 total mitigation vs 600 for SCH.

Crits confuse people. Let's say that an AST crits in this situation, doing roughly 1.5 times the potency (this changes based on crit stat). In this case the heal is 412 and the shield is 618.

If a SCH crits, it's not a 600 potency shield, since it shields double the total amount healed. It's 300 * 1.5 * 2 for a 900 potency shield.

Orcs and Ostriches fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Jun 13, 2017

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

queeb posted:

I think we get patch notes live reading tonight at 7:30pm est or something like that

No, the patch note reading is for Japan only. Tonight is an actual Letter to the Live Producer.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

Caeks posted:

I'm actually swamped with work related projects for the next couple of days and I'm not going to be able to do much else, unfortunately. I'm so close to finishing the MSQ that I could probably finish it on a single day off, but with Stormblood being so close, and from what I gather are ilvl requirements for finishing up the MSQ, I might as well just start SAM at release THEN finish up the MSQ.

I also left quests unfinished through my journeys in HW and it'll be nice to finish them up as SAM.

Edit:

While I'm not worried about gearing up my SAM, as I've acquired a huge chunk of MNK gear already - how does a new SAM go about collecting weapons while leveling 50-60? Does SE normally put new weapons for the new jobs in older instances?

There will likely be a bunch of easy to craft i260(ish) gear added for level 60 similar to how HW included the addition of i115(?) craftable level 50 gear.

To get a SAM weapon for 50 get some tomestones together and an update item, similar to how you'd do it for any other level 50 job since they're adding SAM/RDM weapons for poetics/lore (and primals). They're also adding alexander weapons for level 60 but you'll be fine just getting a shire katana or maybe even whatever level 60 craftable is added. Odds are the level 60+ MSQ will hand out equipment regularly like the HW quests do. Plus they'll probably backfill some gear in to the HW MSQ like they did for ARR.

If you can't get the stuff for an i130 level 50 katana or i270 level 60 I wouldn't worry about it too much though.

Leofish posted:

You can get items from your squadron that give extra XP from monsters for 2 hours.

These don't stack with the FC bonus, which I imagine each FC is going to have running constantly for the first week or so.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Diurnal Astros now are nearly identical to WHM's core toolkit. Cure is Benefic, Medica is Helios, Aspected Benefic is Regen, etc. If you're unsure of cards, throw Balance and Arrow on people, Bole on the tank, and royal road or throw away the rest. You'll still be better with cards than most Asts I play with.

I keep seeing people say to throw away the lovely cards, but when I right clicked the "drew (card)" buff to get rid of it, I still had the 30 second recast on Draw.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

MechaCrash posted:

I keep seeing people say to throw away the lovely cards, but when I right clicked the "drew (card)" buff to get rid of it, I still had the 30 second recast on Draw.

Instead of waiting for the card to go away plus a draw cd.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

MechaCrash posted:

Draw starts its recast timer when you dispose of the card (use it/spread it/RR it/throw it away/let it expire), so if you just let the card expire without using it you'll have a minute between draws.

The reason you throw it away instead of just using it is usually you don't want to waste a good royal road on a poo poo card.

Kobata
Oct 11, 2012

MechaCrash posted:

The draw cooldown doesn't start until the buff wears away -- so it's 30 seconds + 30 seconds if you ignore it, or (time to right click off) + 30 seconds if you cancel it.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010

Krysa Phoesa
Voted most likely to out aggro the Tank.
"So, which Ether do I need to drink to triplecast Flare?"

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
To think, on Friday we will be grinding out SAM or RDM on the same exact content we are doing now!

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Yeah, the recast starts when you lose the buff, regardless of how you lose it - use it, Royal Road, Spread, etc.

Come stormblood you'll have a discard option at lower levels, and then the Minor Arcana draw at higher levels to deal with unwanted cards. For the next couple of days you can right-click the buff, or there are some discard macros out there that can do the same.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

DarkstarIV posted:

No, the patch note reading is for Japan only. Tonight is an actual Letter to the Live Producer.

i dont know what that is

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

queeb posted:

i dont know what that is

Live letters are when good stuff is revealed, like patch changes, new dungeons etc, though this one isn't gonna say much of note with SB being out on Friday (basically) and much of the good stuff being a known quantity.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Ah, so that's it. I know you might as well Royal Road the shittier cards, but I thought that there might be some advantage to getting rid of the buff instead of just tossing it on someone. I don't have Royal Road yet, though, and given a choice between "throw Ewer in the trash" and "gently caress it use it on myself," may as well use it.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Live letters are when good stuff is revealed, like patch changes, new dungeons etc, though this one isn't gonna say much of note with SB being out on Friday (basically) and much of the good stuff being a known quantity.

sweeeet, im guessing it'll be in english since it's at E3? i'll definitely be watching.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

queeb posted:

sweeeet, im guessing it'll be in english since it's at E3? i'll definitely be watching.

Yeah, there'll be live translation at the very worst.

• Locked thread