Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

esperterra posted:

Oatmeal raisin cookies are loving delicious!

But it can be offputting when you expect chocolate, I guess.

See, i'd buy the Jersey to burn, and you'd buy it to wear, Jacquelyn is a genius!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slowpoke Rodriguez
Jun 20, 2009
Jane Krakowski as a Native American is eyeroll-worthy no matter what the jokes around it are, because "ha ha, this white lady is an indian" is what it boils down to. I found the redskins meeting very funny, but I'm pretty glad it seems to be over with. That said, if we lose her parents I will be pretty pissed.

Despite my objections, this show, and particularly this season is the first time I have really loved Jane Krakowski. She was the weak link in Ally Mcbeal, she was the weak link in 30 Rock, and I never watched anything else she was in.

Titus was definitely the MVP of this season, dude deserves an Emmy for Lemonading.

I'm pretty sure David Cross left because his character's whole shtick was "Isn't David Cross repulsive?"

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
He's made a career out of that, seems odd to object now.

I like Jane's character here because she's like the literal only person to have any meaningful character development.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Titus realizes he's a bad person and needs his friends help changing that. Lillian realizes that change can be good and starts to move forward. Kimmy is probably the one I think grows the least this season but I've only watched it once so far.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I'm enjoying the slow integration of Kimmy into the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Titus realizes he's a bad person and needs his friends help changing that. Lillian realizes that change can be good and starts to move forward. Kimmy is probably the one I think grows the least this season but I've only watched it once so far.

Yeah, but I disagree with Lillian saying that Kimmy is his conscious, it's clearly Mike

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

fwiw I come from a small Canadian town, and one of my best friends is hella native. He and his sister are blonde/blue eyed, supet white. You wouldn't know without asking.

Krakowski playing aboriginal isn't that unbelievable, from a skintone standpoint.

esperterra fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Jun 8, 2017

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

esperterra posted:

fwiw I come from a small Canadian town, and one of my best friends is hella native. He and his sister are blonde/blue eyed.

Krakowski playing aboriginal isn't that unbelievable, from a skintone standpoint.

It's frustrating because she has the insecure rich aging white lady down to a t alongside the 30 Rock cast reunion, but I'll always wonder what a native actress could have brought to the table.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

An entirely different character, for starters, unless they cast an aboriginal woman who can pass as white. Jackie as is would need to be completely retooled if they cast her more overtly aboriginal.

Which is fine, ofc, and I certainly wouldn't complain seeing more aboriginal people in main roles on non-Canadian television, but I'd rather have Jane in this show, myself.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I think casting a native American actress and then turning her into a white person would be more offensive.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Cojawfee posted:

I think casting a native American actress and then turning her into a white person would be more offensive.

Yeah. Jacqueline's main story is that she rejected her heritage and did everything she could to physically transform herself to a white person. So, the end product of said character would either be casting a white woman, or casting a native american woman and doing tons of makeup to whitewash her. Native Americans and their culture was never the joke. The joke was always the rejection of that and the subsequent fallout.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Exactly. Either they would still have to cast a white woman, cast a metis woman with mostly white features, or change the character entirely.

There's nothing really offensive about the character, anyway, it kind of blows my mind when people get up in arms about it-- the character is supposed to be making fun of offensive people. Especially when juxtaposed with how incredibly normal and not stereotypical her parents are.

I could just be seeing it differently because I'm Canadian, though, and aboriginal people already have a lot of representation in media here, and the general culture of our country.

- Oh! And out of general curiosity, is the word 'native' not seen as kind of outdated/offensive in the States? Just curious about the differences. It isn't super offensive here (and I'm pretty sure I used it in a previous post) but instead that it's too broad a term. The general attitude is people have been leaning away from using it for a while now, opting instead to use terms First Nations or aboriginal (though there's been some pushback on the latter lately, too, iirc), or simply whatever specific band/nation someone hails from.

esperterra fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Jun 8, 2017

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

esperterra posted:

Exactly. Either they would still have to cast a white woman, cast a metis woman with mostly white features, or change the character entirely.

There's nothing really offensive about the character, anyway, it kind of blows my mind when people get up in arms about it-- the character is supposed to be making fun of offensive people. Especially when juxtaposed with how incredibly normal and not stereotypical her parents are.

I could just be seeing it differently because I'm Canadian, though, and aboriginal people already have a lot of representation in media here, and the general culture of our country.

- Oh! And out of general curiosity, is the word 'native' not seen as kind of outdated/offensive in the States? Just curious about the differences. It isn't super offensive here (and I'm pretty sure I used it in a previous post) but instead that it's too broad a term. The general attitude is people have been leaning away from using it for a while now, opting instead to use terms First Nations or aboriginal (though there's been some pushback on the latter lately, too, iirc), or simply whatever specific band/nation someone hails from.

There is more representation of First Nations in Canada, to the point where they have more control of the dialogue of what they're called. Down here we're still having a Washington Guntakers debate. I doubt that would fly up north. Down here, "aboriginal" would get slightly funny looks with people thinking you were talking about Australia. "First Nations" isn't really a term used down here either. Native American is mostly what's in use with "Indian" seen as antiquated but not as offensive as in Canada. Refering by tribe usually works, except with using Sioux/Lakota interchangeably and probably at least one other case like that. I could be wrong on some of this.

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

I used to work near a reservation and all the Native American's I ran into preferred to be called Native. This was about 5 years ago so things may have changed.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
e: ^^^ That's interesting, my knowledge of this is pretty out of date lately.

Dogwood Fleet posted:

Native American is mostly what's in use with "Indian" seen as antiquated but not as offensive as in Canada.
IME "Native American" is almost exclusively used by (liberal) white people to refer to indigenous nations; a surprising number of folks refer to themselves as Indians. "NDN" is the new woke hotness, apparently.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Dogwood Fleet posted:

There is more representation of First Nations in Canada, to the point where they have more control of the dialogue of what they're called. Down here we're still having a Washington Guntakers debate. I doubt that would fly up north. Down here, "aboriginal" would get slightly funny looks with people thinking you were talking about Australia. "First Nations" isn't really a term used down here either. Native American is mostly what's in use with "Indian" seen as antiquated but not as offensive as in Canada. Refering by tribe usually works, except with using Sioux/Lakota interchangeably and probably at least one other case like that. I could be wrong on some of this.

Yes, all of this. Even within an academic anthropology context (circa 2005, at least), people in the US didn't generally use "Aboriginal" to mean North American. "First Nations" would also have implied Canada. "Native American" was still the polite term of reference for indigenous tribal societies in the US. Or yeah, you'd use a specific label...Lakota, Navajo, Cherokee, Pequot, etc.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Cool, thanks for all the answers!

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Neon Noodle posted:

IME "Native American" is almost exclusively used by (liberal) white people to refer to indigenous nations; a surprising number of folks refer to themselves as Indians. "NDN" is the new woke hotness, apparently.

Native American or (American) Indian is down to individual preference based on what I've seen. I think I saw a poll that had it at a 50/40 or so split. Specific tribe seems to be the ideal, though, obviously.

Sankis fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Jun 8, 2017

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Neon Noodle posted:

I had to do some research regarding the Bureau of Indian Affairs recently and I was very surprised how much "Indian" came up in text written by Native Americans. I also learned Alaskans are always Alaska Natives, but somehow that didn't surprise me.

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

I grew up next to a Navajo reservation and went to school with a bunch of kids from the tribe. They would always say "I'm not a Native American. I'm an Indian" if you said NA.

My college had an American Indian studies school. I assumed if a college could get away with it, it's probably the more accepted term.

But yeah, specific tribe is the best way to go if you can.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Just call them Redskins, its perfectly fine according to the NFL.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
This season is really loving bad about 5 episodes in.

King of Foolians
Mar 16, 2006
Long live the King!

sector_corrector posted:

This season is really loving bad about 5 episodes in.

Would you care to elaborate? Most people in this thread agree that this season isn't quite as good as the previous two but that the jokes are still on point. But that's not quite as edgy as dropping a one sentence lovely opinion.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

King of Foolians posted:

Would you care to elaborate? Most people in this thread agree that this season isn't quite as good as the previous two but that the jokes are still on point. But that's not quite as edgy as dropping a one sentence lovely opinion.

I'm good.

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

I'm only 2 posts in, but you're actually really poo poo

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

I thought the first couple weren't great but by episode 5 it was very funny again.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

With the exception of Titus being a massive hilarious rear end in a top hat I'd say the season was pretty crummy. He carried everything as far as I'm concerned.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

swickles posted:

Just call them Redskins, its perfectly fine according to the NFL.

Native Gun-takers is the correct term now.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I've also heard that "native American" is generally disliked more than just "native," and "Indian" is disliked by some people, and preferred by others. The obvious conclusion is that you should ask each individual native/Indian/First Nations/aboriginal/indigenous person what term they would prefer you to use, and then use that. Discussing First Nations people as a group, I would almost always say "First Nations" but I get the feeling that's a particularly Canadian term.

Also, Canada has a football team called the Edmonton Eskimos, and that's a bit controversial. "Eskimo" is apparently not considered as offensive in the US as in Canada, where it has definitely fallen out of favour.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

PT6A posted:

I've also heard that "native American" is generally disliked more than just "native," and "Indian" is disliked by some people, and preferred by others. The obvious conclusion is that you should ask each individual native/Indian/First Nations/aboriginal/indigenous person what term they would prefer you to use, and then use that. Discussing First Nations people as a group, I would almost always say "First Nations" but I get the feeling that's a particularly Canadian term.

Also, Canada has a football team called the Edmonton Eskimos, and that's a bit controversial. "Eskimo" is apparently not considered as offensive in the US as in Canada, where it has definitely fallen out of favour.

The US/Canada divide is pretty obvious, but I think some of what we're seeing is based on regions or tribes.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Yeah, eskimo has been considered offensive as long as I can remember, with Inuit being preferred for the Northern nations.

Something like 'eskimo kisses' is harmless, though. It's only really bad if you're using it to refer to people. That Edmonton team probably has had some controversy, but I don't pay attention to football unless the Grey Cup is on.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

esperterra posted:

Yeah, eskimo has been considered offensive as long as I can remember, with Inuit being preferred for the Northern nations.

Something like 'eskimo kisses' is harmless, though. It's only really bad if you're using it to refer to people. That Edmonton team probably has had some controversy, but I don't pay attention to football unless the Grey Cup is on.

So is Eskimo Brother a no go then?

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Oh, probably. drat I haven't heard someone say that in a while.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
I haven't been liking this season all that much but goddammit the 13th episode has some GOLD.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
Are those Jacqueline's birth parents? I thought she was adopted but it's been a while since I watched the first season.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

clown shoes posted:

Are those Jacqueline's birth parents? I thought she was adopted but it's been a while since I watched the first season.

She had some cosmetic procedures or something. It's been a pretty cringe-y plot from the beginning.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
This season was funny but the weakest. Scrap Lillian's sub-plots and the stupid Redskins stuff. Make it Kimmy, Titus and Xanthippe focused like the first season was.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I'm two episodes in to season 3 and my patience for Lilian has worn thin already.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

CelestialScribe posted:

This season was funny but the weakest. Scrap Lillian's sub-plots and the stupid Redskins stuff. Make it Kimmy, Titus and Xanthippe focused like the first season was.

Agreed on all counts. This was my favorite season for Titus, though. He has really become "jerk-rear end Homer" in all the best ways, and got all my favorite lines and moments. This exchange made me laugh so hard I had to pause it to laugh and repeat it to myself for five minutes:

TITUS: You better make like me eating beans drunk and spill the beans!
KIMMY: And then you eat them off the floor!
TITUS: Shut up, girl!

The part about Titus not wanting to go in a room that was haunted by the ghost of a water bug Lillian killed, and Lillian saying it was a different water bug that got tangled in a Kleenex also slayed me. I kept envisioning a little bug doodling around, covered with a tissue, and Titus being beside himself with fear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I'm rewatching season 2 and I cannot believe there are fools who think Lillian is a bad character. She is a delight and any scene with her is the best scene of the episode

• Locked thread