Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

The Door Frame posted:

Just ask, in TYOOL 2017, how Nintendo intends voicechat and party matchmaking to work with their fancy new console and robust *PAID* premium online service. It's so profoundly stupid that it sounds like their online service, that hasn't been launched yet, was legitimately designed to work on the Gamecube and Wii. No joke, Xbox Live on the OG Xbox was better designed

I have so much more to shout about in regards to Nintendo being painfully out of touch, but suffice it to say, they're anticonsumer dickholes that I won't purchase another product from

The worst part is they have so few titles right now for the Switch, that is practically stranded outside of Zelda.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Can we all discuss for a moment the stupidity of artificial scarcity in a given product? With the kids getting older my wife recently commented how it would be nice to get a Nintendo system to play mario/mariokart etc.
Not being gamers in the least sense I looked at the current offerings which I know nothing about. I remember the Wii being cool; and Wii Sports would be perfect for the kids. Apparently the Wii U is all backwards compatible! Neat! Oh, it's discontinued; I'll look at used ones. $220! What the hell? What's the new one? A Switch? *watches brief video, blown away* sweet! Only $299! Worth it over the old model for sure.

And impossible to find. Everywhere. All the time. It was released months ago, will they ever get supply up to meet demand? Are they purposely not making enough because they are losing :homebrew: for every unit they sell? Explain to me, a non gamer why would they do this? Why is the Wii U still so dumb expensive? I'd probably buy a Switch even at a $500 price point if I could just walk in and buy one. Doesn't seem to be a shortage of any other gaming systems.

http://www.nowinstock.net/

Got one within a week. Also, its worth it. But the scarcity thing is bullshit, yes. And gently caress y'all Nintendo haters - still the best games. Zelda is amazing. Mario Kart is, well, Mario Kart. And lots of sweet new games coming out. Plus the portability of the Switch is honestly pretty cool.

This is my story of how I am a giant nerd.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Siochain posted:

Got one within a week. Also, its worth it. But the scarcity thing is bullshit, yes. And gently caress y'all Nintendo haters - still the best games. Zelda is amazing. Mario Kart is, well, Mario Kart. And lots of sweet new games coming out. Plus the portability of the Switch is honestly pretty cool.

This is my story of how I am a giant nerd.

Not hating. I bought my wife the Switch.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Mario Kart hasn't been good since 64. It was after that point they inserted massive rubber-band AI and the non-randomness of the pick ups became massively apparent. It became less of a game of being good at racing with the occasional hit from a power up to a massive clusterfuck of no fun and getting pounded repeatedly by things from people in last place.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJHRf8PBqIE

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Super Mario Kart is where it was at.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

Wrar posted:

The wife likes the Gorester and understands why I bought it.

drat guys I think I'm doing alright.

Owns. Both my girlfriend and my wife hated it.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
I'm getting really tempted to start a buisiness parting old Audis and VWs. Please stop me.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
stop

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

In the name of love

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
That didn't help.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

Just keep in mind that if you make your hobby your job then it is no longer your hobby. That has always been my concern when thinking about doing anything with cars as a career some point in the future.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

BigPaddy posted:

Just keep in mind that if you make your hobby your job then it is no longer your hobby. That has always been my concern when thinking about doing anything with cars as a career some point in the future.

Technically, everything is my hobby. Computers, Electronics, Cars....

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Wrar posted:

The wife likes the Gorester and understands why I bought it.

drat guys I think I'm doing alright.
drat right you did, I tried talking the fiance into it several times with no luck

Somewhat Heroic posted:

And impossible to find. Everywhere. All the time.
So like every other drat Nintendo system at launch or around holidays? People camped out for the drat systems and still not getting one is nuts.

CommieGIR posted:

I'm getting really tempted to start a buisiness parting old Audis and VWs. Please stop me.
Every time I think about doing something like this I think of all the craigslist idiots I'll have to interact with. Even if you only do forums there is always a good number of dip shits. Do you have storage space to hold parts for a while or do you set a shelf time limit before you scrap it?

After rearranging the spare bedroom into a cardio room last weekend we realized we really are almost out of space. We sold off a ton of stuff when she moved in and I have a bit more stuff I can get rid of (e21 junk, r/c stuff) but that isn't going to add a third bedroom or make the garage fit more cars. So now we're house shopping for something with a detached garage...there isn't poo poo for detached garages in the south. Found one place that looks really nice with 6 garage spots, cuts her commute to 21 miles (from 29) but bumps mine from 21 to 35. Haven't toured it yet but it looks pretty nice even if the location isn't the best.

I know we've had this discussion but what is everyone's commute? Currently I'm 21 miles, ~30 minutes

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

NitroSpazzz posted:

Every time I think about doing something like this I think of all the craigslist idiots I'll have to interact with. Even if you only do forums there is always a good number of dip shits. Do you have storage space to hold parts for a while or do you set a shelf time limit before you scrap it?

I've got a decent amount of space available, I suspect anything that goes past a certain limit will get ebay'ed

NitroSpazzz posted:

I know we've had this discussion but what is everyone's commute? Currently I'm 21 miles, ~30 minutes

40 minutes, around 45 miles.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
20 miles, varies between 38 minutes and more than an hour. Going between Philly suburbs can suck.

If I can work remotely 2-3 days per week, I'd buy in this area. If I have to be in every day, I'd move closer, but even a 3 mile commute will take almost 30 minutes in this area.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

2 miles, under 5 minutes if I hit the green light on the way. :coolfish:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Hello future Darchangel! :v:

You still have those tires? The manufacturer warranty is probably still in effect, and if that's not related to the odd wear, you may be able to get a new one.

If you got them at Discount and have certificates, Discount covers them for 3 years from the date of purchase.

Ugh. I meant 11/15, of course. Didn't get a chance to look at the date codes last night, and forgot to look at the mileage.
I set up an appointment with Discount Tire on Saturday, since I'm hourly and don't want to lose any hours. I've got a good tire on a steelie on there, so no worries.

CommieGIR posted:

Technically, everything is my hobby. Computers, Electronics, Cars....

Dude. I'm with you there.
Only made one of them my money hobby, though.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Darchangel posted:

Dude. I'm with you there.
Only made one of them my money hobby, though.

I'm just getting sick of IT, I can't stand dealing with these....people, anymore. Poor management, ignored consultations and counseling, poorly planned projects.

I'm ready to do something I can do for myself.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
43 miles, 45 minutes if it's a light traffic day.

What's nice is that 30 miles of my commute looks like this :

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.3612421,-117.5385017,3a,60y,163.45h,85.04t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1swVPC9otmB0fvjHtFhW0Tvg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

This actually does help and makes a fair point.

InitialDave posted:

But that's the "halo product" approach, which is like selling high end cars.

With Nintendo, they're limiting supply and meaning huge numbers of people who want exactly that item can't have one.

They don't want the other product(s) available, they don't gain a favourable brand perception. They want that item, they don't get it, it annoys them.

and I agree with this. Sure that is cool to limit the product as long as you have a different one available. They don't have a different one though!

CommieGIR posted:

The worst part is they have so few titles right now for the Switch, that is practically stranded outside of Zelda.

After going to bed and thinking about it more I would be annoyed with Nintendo if I was a game developer. Knowing that your product will never reach full market potential because of the bottle neck from the manufacturer sucks. I have a few close friends that work as artists in the gaming industry and the margins are crazy thin, hours are long and you hope for the big payout. Disney shut down their office and they were fortunate to get scooped up by Warner.

Siochain posted:

Got one within a week. Also, its worth it.

Nice. I remember looking at that site when I was hoping for an NES Classic but forgot the URL. I checked local classifieds last night too and it seems there are scalpers trying to get $350 out of them, which is only ~$30 more than I would pay locally+sales tax so if I can't get one the traditional way I will just get one through the classifieds.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

CommieGIR posted:

I'm just getting sick of IT, I can't stand dealing with these....people, anymore. Poor management, ignored consultations and counseling, poorly planned projects.

I'm ready to do something I can do for myself.

Well, since I got released from the company and contract that I'd been working for 17 years, I've discovered that there are actually companies out there that can do IT intelligently. So far, I seem to be working for one now.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
My commute is ~14 miles and 20-30 minutes depending on traffic.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

NitroSpazzz posted:

8 mile round trip, ~20 minutes each way on a bike tootling through a park and on a few roads.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

CommieGIR posted:

Not hating. I bought my wife the Switch.

Ay sorry, totally misread poo poo - all good. Mornings and not enough covfefe.

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Nice. I remember looking at that site when I was hoping for an NES Classic but forgot the URL. I checked local classifieds last night too and it seems there are scalpers trying to get $350 out of them, which is only ~$30 more than I would pay locally+sales tax so if I can't get one the traditional way I will just get one through the classifieds.

It works well. As to dev's with the switch - given how poorly the WiiU fared, I think a ~lot~ of devs were hesitant to go all-in on it. After it started selling insanely well, suddenly its worth developing for. I'd be guessing it'll be a lag-time to big titles. In the meantime, there are some excellent indie titles on it, and a few other decent games.

Siochain fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Jun 13, 2017

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

The nintendo thing is annoying. It's sat for 2+ months with nothing to play on it after Zelda. Been thinking about selling it while they're still very hard to get.

Commute for me is about 26 miles, 30 minutes or so. Against the flow of traffic but it's always slower coming home.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

CommieGIR posted:

I felt the same so I moved into product engineering instead. So I get to make the lovely product that IT people hate rather than suffer it.

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011
12 mile commute, if I have to drop the kiddo off at daycare it's an hour, if not about 30 minutes. 45-75 to get home

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
My commute is about ~21 miles each way and about 40 minutes.

If anyone is looking for a wii u, I would check to see if Nintendo has any refurbished. Easiest way to get one IMO. Besides that, it always looks like someone is trying to sell one on SA Mart

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

mariooncrack posted:

If anyone is looking for a wii u, I would check to see if Nintendo has any refurbished. Easiest way to get one IMO. Besides that, it always looks like someone is trying to sell one on SA Mart

They were posted on ebay and on their site refurbished a couple days ago for $175. Haven't checked since.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Traffic or no, I couldn't do a one hour commute to work. That's at least two hours of my day spent driving, and, well, gently caress that.

Mine is about 20-25 minutes, which is that sweet spot of time where I can leave work and decompress and be ready to enjoy my home life by the time I get home.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

QuarkMartial posted:

Traffic or no, I couldn't do a one hour commute to work. That's at least two hours of my day spent driving, and, well, gently caress that.

Mine is about 20-25 minutes, which is that sweet spot of time where I can leave work and decompress and be ready to enjoy my home life by the time I get home.

I commuted from South Orange County to North Hollywood for about 2 years. 60 miles each way, morning took 90 minutes and afternoon was close to 3 hours.

After that, I commuted from Palm Springs, across a barren desert, to work. 90 miles each way, about 75 minutes.

So many hours wasted.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
well im still being forced to take a job (unless i want to be fired) that's 26 miles each way, 45 m in the morning driving, 60-90m to drive home.

Or i can take the bus which requires driving to a park and ride, and transferring busses half way there, 60 min each way on the bus.

of course i'm not going to be compensated any extra for losing 5 hours a week of free time

gently caress this gay earth

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

How un/safe is it to keep my propane grill on my deck? It's got wooden railings and a trex floor. I grill about once a week, the only time I'm not actively outside with the grill is when it's initially heating up, and I turn it off as soon as I'm done using it.

My wife's coworker's husband is a firefighter and she's had the fear of god put into her over this. I like it where it is.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

QuarkMartial posted:

LOL at "decompressing" while driving in traffic. I currently work 9AM-6PM, so I get to miss most of the stupid poo poo, at least on my route. If I had to commute in peak idiocy, I'd arrive home/work in a rage. Bad enough as is, and my commute is about 11 miles (20-30 minutes.)

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

The Midniter posted:

How un/safe is it to keep my propane grill on my deck? It's got wooden railings and a trex floor. I grill about once a week, the only time I'm not actively outside with the grill is when it's initially heating up, and I turn it off as soon as I'm done using it.

My wife's coworker's husband is a firefighter and she's had the fear of god put into her over this. I like it where it is.

Nothing that would ever cross my mind. I have 2 tanks for smoker and grill, one right under my deck where it will stay. If I smell gas, it'll move (in a hurry). :v:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

The Midniter posted:

Seriously? I've got a gas stove *inside the house* WITH a pilot light! There are things continuously ON FIRE inside my home. I think a gas grill on your deck isn't going to be much of a hazard. What's it going to do, spew fire like a flamethrower? Just don't, like, shove it right up against the siding while in use or still hot.

I get it - firefighters have to deal with stupid people with limited understanding of physics, but my god, the safety folks sometimes...

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

The Midniter posted:

I think that's where 75% of the grills in the US are kept with zero issues. As a certified lifelong pyromaniac, I sign off on your setup as safe.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
My gas stove doesn't have a pilot light, but it has a system that clicks the lighter every 5 minutes to prevent gas buildup

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

NitroSpazzz posted:

5.5 miles, maybe 15 min. Longer if there's a line at the gate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
You are supposed to test the lines and stuff with soapy water on a gas grill (lol haven't done it in years) but barring 1 in a millions explosions propane grills are safe

• Locked thread