Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Anyone know about any realistic reports for electric pickup trucks or other "haul poo poo around" vehicles? I know about the Workhorse plugin hybrid which I'm hoping will be sold to consumers. But its primary market is fleets.

Ford has a hybrid F-150 coming for 2020. Isn't ruling out an electric F-150 around that same time.

Their new CEO is more of a tech guy than a car guy, so i could see them pushing harder into that area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Yeah, I find traditional hybrids less exciting. If it doesn't have at least 30 all-electric miles then it's probably not gonna do what I want.

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Charging at works for free owns, meeting an ice cold car in your parking lot on a scorching hot day owns

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

call to action posted:

Charging at works for free owns, meeting an ice cold car in your parking lot on a scorching hot day owns

Yeeep, also when your round trip commute is shorter then your range

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
I'm kind of wondering how cheap a Volt lease can get in CA. Cheap enough that the gas savings offset the insurance? Maybe? I doubt I drive enough that I should even be thinking about this.

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

ilkhan posted:

I'm kind of wondering how cheap a Volt lease can get in CA. Cheap enough that the gas savings offset the insurance? Maybe? I doubt I drive enough that I should even be thinking about this.

A local Chevy dealer is pimping this deal on the Volt:

Lease for as low as $79+ tax for 36 months. $3250 down + 1st payment, taxes, DMV fees and ACQ fees. $0 security deposit. 10K miles per year, 25¢ per excess mile. $500 Comp. Lease See website for expiration date. On approved credit. w/MSRP $34,265 & Below 10 @ this price

Dunno if that helps or not. :shobon:

Vitamin J
Aug 16, 2006

God, just tell me to shut up already. I have a clear anti-domestic bias and a lack of facts.
Looking at that lease mileage limit I just realized I have put over 12,000 miles on my Leaf since I bought it in January.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

That's... A lot of driving.

The Sicilian
Sep 3, 2006

by Smythe

Vitamin J posted:

Looking at that lease mileage limit I just realized I have put over 12,000 miles on my Leaf since I bought it in January.
15k limit?

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
The Volt is such a steal in rebate states. It's just a decent car, I don't know why more people don't get them even if they never plug them in.

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

Anyone know about any realistic reports for electric pickup trucks or other "haul poo poo around" vehicles? I know about the Workhorse plugin hybrid which I'm hoping will be sold to consumers. But its primary market is fleets.

Newswire has an article about a truck called the Havelaar Bison, dual motor, 186 mile range. Autoblog has pics. Havelaar's site

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

stevobob posted:

Newswire has an article about a truck called the Havelaar Bison, dual motor, 186 mile range. Autoblog has pics. Havelaar's site

Awesome, thanks for the info! Too bad about the lack of pricing info, but I'll definitely be keeping an eye on that.

Shadowgate
May 6, 2007

Soiled Meat

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Well given they are building pre-production and production ready testers down the line right now with a bunch of production ready testers on the road right now, the July guesstamate is looking fairly good.

My buddy got a call from Tesla today about his Model 3 reservation. Apparently he's in the first batch and they are targeting delivery around August/September.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Had to cross into Michigan to reach the supercharger closest to the cottage I was at in Canada's. Nobody behind me in my lane, so the border agent chatted me up for about 5 minutes on various EV topics. (He's getting a Volt next year when his lease is up, it seems.)

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Shadowgate posted:

My buddy got a call from Tesla today about his Model 3 reservation. Apparently he's in the first batch and they are targeting delivery around August/September.

I'd appreciate anything you can pry out of him. I'm (impatiently) waiting on a similar call.

Shadowgate
May 6, 2007

Soiled Meat

MrYenko posted:

I'd appreciate anything you can pry out of him. I'm (impatiently) waiting on a similar call.

Apparently they asked some questions about if his garage was ready for charging, what kind of driving he does, if it was his only car, and if he's been following the options that will be available. I think based on those answers they prioritize you or push you back. The group he's in is the first 1,000 cars it sounds like.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Wrong thread, sorry!

But just to provide some content, Richard Hammond just crashed one of these

It's a Rimac Concept One, which is a Croatian supercar and is nothing like a Yugo. At least it wasn't until the hamster got to it:

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Jun 11, 2017

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Best pics yet of Model 3 interior.

https://imgur.com/a/zhvq8#S6erzYN

double ohm seven
Jul 14, 2016
Ugh, clean your car

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

double ohm seven posted:

Ugh, clean your car

That looks like it's in test mode, so somebody is probably using it as a desk several hours a day.

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

I could not live with that dash. The touchscreen looks out of place on such a minimalist dash. I'm hoping they have speedometer and a few other things along that thin area of the dash, cause the touchscreen will be unreliable due to glare.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
Doesn't look terrible, but that steering wheel looks super cheap/plasticy. Also I think he stole their can of Ice Tea!

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Why would you use a glossy panel on the screen?

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I take it back, the best thing about driving electric is taking away (most of) the guilt about burning shitloads of gas, even just for cost reasons. I swear I drive way more now, and I love it.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

call to action posted:

I take it back, the best thing about driving electric is taking away (most of) the guilt about burning shitloads of gas, even just for cost reasons. I swear I drive way more now, and I love it.

People complain about range anxiety when it comes to electric cars, but nobody mentions the gas anxiety that comes with normal ICEs.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

People complain about range anxiety when it comes to electric cars, but nobody mentions the gas anxiety that comes with normal ICEs.

Because there are gas stations everywhere, they are all the same standard, and it takes two minutes to fill a gas tank.

If you were making an anxiety joke... I'm sorry for being dumb.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Ola posted:

GG, that's just begging for a distracted driver related crash.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Ola posted:

So wait, there's no driver dash whatsoever? Not even a speedometer? Does any other car have a setup like that?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Thwomp posted:

So wait, there's no driver dash whatsoever? Not even a speedometer? Does any other car have a setup like that?

Pre T-Ford perhaps? I'm assuming speed and legal warning lights will be on the center screen. Many cars have a centered speedo, it doesn't have to be that bad, but if the Model S is anything to go by, it will have poor dimming and will destroy your night vision. Also, the autopilot lever is on the shifter. Both of these are quite bold moves which may work or (and?) may turn out to be really annoying.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Many cars have central gauges so I'd assume this one would change to show a speedometer when in motion. Still pretty terrible IMO.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
The Model 3 dash looks user-unfriendly.

Average sale price with good options is expected to be around 50k.

Lord, please deliver to me a Gen 2 Hyundai Ioniq. 200 mile range and a great battery warranty for under 30k.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Is it just the southern californian in me that is most interested in how adjustable the air vents (that I assume are in that strip along the dash) are?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

eyebeem posted:

Because there are gas stations everywhere, they are all the same standard, and it takes two minutes to fill a gas tank.

If you were making an anxiety joke... I'm sorry for being dumb.

Nah, I didn't state things clearly. By "gas anxiety" I meant the unwillingness to use your vehicle because doing so would require burning gasoline, which may be readily available but is still a) bad for the environment, and b) more expensive than electricity.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Ola posted:

Many cars have a centered speedo, it doesn't have to be that bad

I'm aware of three recent cars with center instrument clusters and they're all bad. Neither Mini nor Toyota was able to make that not be a terrible idea, nor will Tesla.

It's a bean counter move and nothing more.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Touchscreens are a usability nightmare in general. Now the entire UI is modal (meaning that buttons move around depending on what mode the UI is in) and impossible to use without looking at the screen.

As was mentioned, they're a lot cheaper than having proper knobs and sliders and so on, and they also have the "ooh shiny" factor going for them, so I don't think they're going away, sadly. I can only hope that we figure out how to haptic feedback soon so the screen can actually change shape/texture.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

eyebeem posted:

Is it just the southern californian in me that is most interested in how adjustable the air vents (that I assume are in that strip along the dash) are?

South Floridian with a deposit, here; I'm equally concerned.

:ohdear:

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

eyebeem posted:

No, I was raising hell about the form over function when they first displayed them. All the design in the world ain't worth poo poo when the SO isn't comfortable.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!
If they want to keep the design sleek they should put in a screen like the Ferrari gt4c Lusso's passenger display screen

kill me now fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Jun 13, 2017

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
How do you aim the vent at your fat head? Do you have to remember to precool?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
They're probably aim the vent electronically by using machine vision to locate your fat head in 3d space

• Locked thread