Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Bonus posted:

I have it built too, and it's certainly very powerful. Just like any deck, it might see a ban if it completely dominates the format, but that's nowhere near true right now. People just like to go online and shout to ban decks constantly. Just goes to show how ban happy people are recently. When pod was banned, it was completely dominating the format and people were surprised, but now people expect the top deck to be banned constantly, which is opposite of what is good for the format.

Also, I think Junk can be pretty hard to beat as GDS. I played against it yesterday, and the combination of Path to Exile, Abrubt Decay, Lingering Souls and Liliana of the Veil is often too much for the deck to deal with.

So the way to beat Death's Shadow is to play removal in Modern.

Seems like the deck is a menace and should be banned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

ThePeavstenator posted:

I play Grixis Death's Shadow and sometimes it does feel like you're getting away with something. I'm not fully on the ban train but it's definitely a deck with a powerful gameplan that you can't really disrupt or hate on with a few sideboard slots. The only deck that I ever feel like I'm an underdog against is Burn.

Am I wrong in thinking that the way Burn beats Death's Shadow is holding back on its burn spells and chipping away with creatures, then doing burst damage once the Death's Shadow opponent is at eight or nine life?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Star Man posted:

Am I wrong in thinking that the way Burn beats Death's Shadow is holding back on its burn spells and chipping away with creatures, then doing burst damage once the Death's Shadow opponent is at eight or nine life?

Its a tough game from both sides. Technically, holding back on your burn is the right move but it mostly comes down to drawing paths and not getting palm taken out of your hand.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Cactrot posted:

So the way to beat Death's Shadow is to play removal in Modern.

Seems like the deck is a menace and should be banned.

It's too bad the Death's Shadow deck doesn't have some way of protecting itself from removal!

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
To me, the thing about DS that makes it not ban-worthy is the same reason that Goyf doesn't need to be banned- it's simply an extremely efficient beater. There's nothing inherently wrong with that, but it's tough to deal with when surrounded by other good cards.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

meanolmrcloud posted:

Holy crap, what a terrible year for standard. It's really remarkable that they were able to have relatively good stretches of time where things didn't need to be banned, and now all of a sudden they poo poo the bed like 3 times in short succession.

Fortunately Standard should be fine now, assuming the Temur Energy can beat a resolved Gideon so the format doesn't devolve back into Vehicles beating everything. Marvel simply had to go because there's what, five more sets released before it rotates? If there's anything as powerful as Ulamog, or even slightly less powerful but more castable like Emrakul (she was more powerful but also castable at a reasonable time) then Marvel would just take over again even after Ulamog rotated out.

Star Man posted:

Is this what Type 2 was like in 2004? Bannings every month?

I wish. They banned Skullclamp, which everyone pretty much agreed had to go, then they let standard rot for months while the only viable deck was Ravager Affinity. Fifth Dawn came out and Clamp was banned, but Plating slotted into Affinity to give it another great payoff card, and it wasn't until Betrayer's came out that they finally just banned everything. By that time MTG in my area had basically died. Extended was really expensive (it was like $250 for a deck!) and Type 1\1.5 didn't have a playerbase and commander wasn't around, so when Standard FNM died MTG died too.

En Fuego posted:

Ya'll didn't play during Urza's Block, but combo winter actually almost killed magic. If you didn't play Academy, or run maindeck artifact hate (my fave was Meltdown), it was actual hell on earth to play magic. The only saving grace was that cards weren't as available, so only a few people had the full on decks (and those nerds were netdecking Dojo dorks).

I think this year in Standard is actually worse because the hivemind tuning decks and the availability of cards in general.

Hot Take: Play kitchen table magic, forsake tournaments, build a bunker and praise Emrakul.

Actually this sounds like a pretty good idea'mkrul.

GonSmithe posted:

Yeah, I remember playing during Affinity Standard and even with how bad that was, them banning the Artifact Lands, Disciple AND Ravager was absolutely mindblowing. Everyone only expected a Ravager/Disciple ban, banning that many cards in one Standard was unheard of.

The artifact lands had to go. Otherwise Krark-Clan Ironworks would have taken over and turned the metagame into a game of "Do you have Kataki? Well I do\don't have Condescend\Bolt, next game." Ravager and Disciple could have stayed unbanned, but it's better to just send a message that Ravager Affinity is dead and gone please come back.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

I'm happy Marvel got banned.
I'm not happy Emrakul didn't get unbanned.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Bonus posted:

I really don't understand the people clamoring for a Death's Shadow ban already. It seems like with the recent bannings, people now just want to ban the best deck every B&R update, even if it's just 10% of the meta and not oppressive at all.

This is probably one of the top reasons why Wizards doesn't like banning things. Players already say cards "need a ban" when their pet deck has a bad matchup against it or they just don't understand that there are tiers in every competitive card game. Now there's blood in the water, so they'll take Wizards not banning anything as Wizards wanting to ruin the format. So it's probably a good idea to wait a long time for a "No Changes" ban update.

Gustav
Jul 12, 2006

This is all very confusing. Do you mind if I call you Rodriguez?
I'd be happy to go back to vehicles dominating again. It's was a strong deck, but never miserable to play against.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Bonus posted:

I have it built too, and it's certainly very powerful. Just like any deck, it might see a ban if it completely dominates the format, but that's nowhere near true right now. People just like to go online and shout to ban decks constantly. Just goes to show how ban happy people are recently. When pod was banned, it was completely dominating the format and people were surprised, but now people expect the top deck to be banned constantly, which is opposite of what is good for the format.

I never thought I would ever say this, but Stubborn Denial is such a loving HOUSE in Grixis Deaths Shadow, it is loving bananas.

The deck does not need a ban though.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

mandatory lesbian posted:

i still can't believe they're trying to break into the MMO market, but who know maybe the sales in Korea justify it

They maybe approached Secret World rather than the other way about, but it'll coat them next to morning if at all.

The Korean MMO makers chuck out multiple re-skinned efforts every year, and often try and pick one or two to try and break the western market. They maybe approached WotC offering some 6 figure sum and a small fake of amy profits, with the promise it'd be swept under the rug if it didn't get a foothold.

I'd actually bet they wanted D&D, but couldn't get WotC to part with the rights (or someone else might still have the rights from the mast one) and Wizards asked them to do Mtg instead.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

Yeah Stubborn Denial is the bomb in the deck, and combined with the discard that the deck runs, your opponents are drawing dead a lot of the time. It does feel like a legacy deck in modern sometimes, just because it's hyper efficient, but yeah, DS is just a very efficient beater, much like goyf.

Wurzag
Jun 3, 2007

Bad Moons, Bad Moons, wot ya gonna do?

mehall posted:

They maybe approached Secret World rather than the other way about, but it'll coat them next to morning if at all.

The Korean MMO makers chuck out multiple re-skinned efforts every year, and often try and pick one or two to try and break the western market. They maybe approached WotC offering some 6 figure sum and a small fake of amy profits, with the promise it'd be swept under the rug if it didn't get a foothold.

I'd actually bet they wanted D&D, but couldn't get WotC to part with the rights (or someone else might still have the rights from the mast one) and Wizards asked them to do Mtg instead.

Well they already made that lovely neverwinter mmo

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Bonus posted:

Yeah Stubborn Denial is the bomb in the deck, and combined with the discard that the deck runs, your opponents are drawing dead a lot of the time. It does feel like a legacy deck in modern sometimes, just because it's hyper efficient, but yeah, DS is just a very efficient beater, much like goyf.

Is this one of the reasons why UB Faeries supposedly has a good matchup against Grixis Death's Shadow? Is it because a Spellstutter Sprite can counter spells in the deck and not worry about being hit by Stubborn Denial?

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

Among a lot of other reasons. They can chump for days with Bitterblossom tokens and once you're at a low life total they just attack with a couple of flying idiots and that's that.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Bonus posted:

Among a lot of other reasons. They can chump for days with Bitterblossom tokens and once you're at a low life total they just attack with a couple of flying idiots and that's that.

I want to believe in this so badly because I love Faeries.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
Marvel banned.

TurboFog top tier once again

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

80s James Hetfield posted:

Marvel banned.

TurboFog top tier once again

Temur Tower's only enemy has been eliminated, now it will reign for ten thousand years! :tinfoil:

Rip_Van_Winkle
Jul 21, 2011

"When life gives you ghosts, you make ghost-robots"

I think this is a philosophy we can all aspire to.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Crucible Man

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Oh good, another aggro mechanic to add to the limited environment.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Red zombies, huh.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Block the zombie and lose four life or let the zombie hit you for one and take another three from an Incendiary Flow.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Edit: Nevermind, I don't read cards.

Cactrot fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Jun 13, 2017

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
more

Only registered members can see post attachments!

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Can I play this with KotR?

E: It recurs Ghost Quarters yes I will play it with KotR :stare:

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jun 13, 2017

Gustav
Jul 12, 2006

Did you think there wouldn't be an aggro mechanic in this set..?

Gustav
Jul 12, 2006

Alright, I'll be the first to admit it. I did not know "abrade" was a word.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Gustav posted:

Alright, I'll be the first to admit it. I did not know "abrade" was a word.

Same, I thought it was a foreign language promo til I saw it was in English

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

As in "abrasive". For example, this thread really abrades my rear end some days.

I like the card. Gonna draft the poo poo out of them. :shobon:

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Cool cat tats

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
Abrade seems like it would have been real swell to have in Copter standard.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
do we know what Eternalize does?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
They reprinted Shatter and gave it a mode to deal damage to a creature in case main deck it and are up against an opponent that doesn't play with an oppressive artifact.

I approve.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Angry Grimace posted:

Crucible Man

Crucible man, crucible man
doing the things a crucible can
what's he swing for?
It's not important
crucible man

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
Okay well God drat. This is looking good already.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

MrBling posted:

betting it's like embalm, but makes it indestructible

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

MrBling posted:

Wild guess, but embalm without the exile? Could be balanced if done right.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Embalm but with a +1/+1 counter. Known as megaembalm in design.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

That's a cool new fencing ace