Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I'm very excited to learn that Xenoblade 2 will have lots of massive anime titties that are as big as your head.

gently caress yeah Metroid Prime 4 can't be out soon enough

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I'm surprised they let Sakamoto out of the pit they locked him in after Metroid Other M.
I'd imagine that Nintendo told him, in no uncertain terms, to cut the waifu Samus poo poo out.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

seriously? people should ignore things that a developer has made in the past that might inform what their future products might be right? seriously?

so like

we should hate on Death Stranding because Hideo Kojima worked on that poo poo, right?

In any case, I'm looking at the footage and I'm not seeing anything objectionable. It has the Metroid style, it updated the mechanics, it plays just like Metroid.

That says more than just a developer name.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
Or maybe a serious case of the 'roids

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

Go away Sakamoto.

Also, this is going to have a lot of unfortunate comparisons with AM2R I'm thinking.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

The Machine posted:

Fire whoever hired Mercury Steam. I was so excited about this surprise announcement, but holy poo poo no wonder they saved it for after the showcase. What a bland looking thing.

I mean it looks like Metroid and its not like MercurySteam are an awful developer, the CV 3ds games were decent action games, with Nintendo guiding Metroid should be good

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I'm cummin

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

TFRazorsaw posted:

so like

we should hate on Death Stranding because Hideo Kojima worked on that poo poo, right?

In any case, I'm looking at the footage and I'm not seeing anything objectionable. It has the Metroid style, it updated the mechanics, it plays just like Metroid.

what? people like kojima (not me personally) and yes that gives people faith in Death Stranding

This remake looks clunky and ugly to me, but that's my impression of it

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

It looks like they didn't bother with a suit-morph ball transition animation?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

KingSlime posted:

what? people like kojima (not me personally) and yes that gives people faith in Death Stranding

Kojima was a producer on the Lords of Shadow. That's the reason for the comparison to Mercury Steam.

I just don't think that one series should be a noose around this game's neck, especially when separated by so any years.

HyperPuma
Jun 24, 2007

b-b-b-b-b-b-b-but trump is president

TFRazorsaw posted:

It

It looks like Metroid

looks westernized

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
oh I didn't play LoS but I hear it's way better than the Mirror of Fate game

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Bomb jump looks suitably hard to get right.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

get that OUT of my face posted:

I'd imagine that Nintendo told him, in no uncertain terms, to cut the waifu Samus poo poo out.

It sounds a lot like he's supervising in name only and the studio's actually doing everything on their own initiative.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

WilliamAnderson posted:

Go away Sakamoto.

Also, this is going to have a lot of unfortunate comparisons with AM2R I'm thinking.

"Unfortunate"

I'll laugh forever if the DMCA'd+C&D'd fan-made Metroid 2 remake plays better than the official 3DS version

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

KingSlime posted:

oh I didn't play LoS but I hear it's way better than the Mirror of Fate game

They're not great. LoS2 basically killed Castlevania and LoS1 is an average God of War clone.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Teleporting around the map makes this Metroid look way better.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

HyperPuma posted:

looks westernized

The majority of Metroid's fanbase is in the west, so.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

TFRazorsaw posted:

It

It looks like Metroid

it looks westernised

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
We get a new 2D Metroid for the first time in years and all y'all just complain, this is why Metroid was dead in the first place

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

TFRazorsaw posted:

so like

so what you're saying is that if you had issues with previous games he made you shouldn't be concerned about another game made by the same person?!

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

We get a new 2D Metroid for the first time in years and all y'all just complain, this is why Metroid was dead in the first place

It was dead because the games don't sell well.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Not me, I'm spurtin' here.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Policenaut posted:

They're not great. LoS2 basically killed Castlevania and LoS1 is an average God of War clone.

No, Konami killed Castlevania. LoS2 was just a symptom of that.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

Policenaut posted:

rip metroid

jk haha that franchise has been dead for a long time now

I don't see MP4 selling well and this 3DS remake will absolutely tank but hey that's my internet speculation

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Metroid fans are dumb.

I love this game. I love Metroid Prime 4. Give me all the Metroid games, I've been starved too long.

Metroid fans who complain about this are ridiculous.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Martytoof posted:

I've never played a Metroid game before and this looks like a pretty standard run and gun so I probably won't bother with it but I'm glad people are excited.

Christ alive what is this

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Kojima didn't even do much in LoS

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Pro Controller wanters, Nyko announced their Pro Controller variation, 30 bucks. Wired.

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/874679998468071424

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Spacebump posted:

It was dead because the games don't sell well.

It was dead because of Metroid Other M.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
seriously though how can I buy a switch at normal price? It seems the only way is to harass big box store employees on a regular basis.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

Zelder posted:

Christ alive what is this

to be fair there have been a ton of great metroidvanias that have long surpassed what the original metroids were adored for

I can think of at least 5 off the top of my head that I would rather play over any metroid game

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

so what you're saying is that if you had issues with previous games he made you shouldn't be concerned about another game made by the same person?!

I'd be concerned, but I'd judge what I'm looking at on screen first.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

if they said they're developing a new metroid with the axiom verge dev and showed nothing at all but a splash image i'd be creaming my pants

my excitement went from 3 seeing the trailer, to a 5 hearing that the devs had done castlevania, to a 2 hearing that the castlevania they did was LOS and not any of the DS ones

now I'm planted firmly in "I'll believe it's good when it releases" territory

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I am excited for Samus Returns, my very first Metroid game.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Pro Controller wanters, Nyko announced their Pro Controller variation, 30 bucks. Wired.

TURBO BUTTON

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

KingSlime posted:

to be fair there have been a ton of great metroidvanias that have long surpassed what the original metroids were adored for

I can think of at least 5 off the top of my head that I would rather play over any metroid game

Could you list them?

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Bingo, there's my P2, who needs a $70 official controler

Watching the stream some more, I think the best thing about the Metroid 2 remake is that I can actually beat it :shepface:

edit: Metroid 2 is at least tied with Prime 2 for hardest Metroid I think

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

KingSlime posted:

Jesus Christ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Super Metroid, Zero Mission and Prime 1 are godlike games that I would much rather play over almost another Metroidvania

• Locked thread