Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gustav
Jul 12, 2006

This is all very confusing. Do you mind if I call you Rodriguez?
Placements are a lie. A one win differential is 200 ranked points, a single division is 1000 points, so going 7-0 got you from gold 2 to the middle of gold 1 or something like that. You just can't see the ranking yet. Keep up the 100% win rate and you'll be in Diamond in 30 games or so.

The good news is, next season's placements are also a lie, so if you grind your way up you'll be "placed" in diamond next season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
Genji is getting picked in like every single game of the HGC, that seems kind of interesting to me as I've never seen anyone regard him as more than a mid tier character.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Elysium posted:

Genji is getting picked in like every single game of the HGC, that seems kind of interesting to me as I've never seen anyone regard him as more than a mid tier character.

He's like Illidan in that his effectiveness correlates strongly with skill level. Except that he's super strong when played well instead of just kinda mediocre. The pros all think he's busted.

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition
And this is why I suck at this game. I tried him out and was very "meh". Same thing with Tracer. I have no idea how to be effective with her.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Nash posted:

And this is why I suck at this game. I tried him out and was very "meh". Same thing with Tracer. I have no idea how to be effective with her.

The best way to play Tracer is to do it like you're having sex.

Poke them non-stop until you have an opening, then get in there as fast as you can and unload as much burst as you can within the 3 second recall period, then run away.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
I've found on Tracer it helped a lot to picture my exact course of action before hand and then go in. Like I see Guldan is low and out of position, I'm going to dash in, W him, ult him, then recall out. You want to have your target and gameplan mapped out before you commit to your dive or you'll kind of just flail around a bunch and hurt a bunch of people a little bit instead of murdering the crap out of one guy.

Picking the right guy to attack based on positioning and health is a really important part of her play. It's not like Thrall or Raynor where you can attack the nearest guy and generally do ok.

bamhand fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Jun 13, 2017

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

bamhand posted:

He's like Illidan in that his effectiveness correlates strongly with skill level. Except that he's super strong when played well instead of just kinda mediocre. The pros all think he's busted.

Genji is my favorite solo queue character right now as the only thing he can't really do is waveclear. Basically you are invincible and only die if you gently caress up or decide to go down with 2+ of them. Unless I'm playing with an Auriel who decides to "save" me.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Gustav posted:

Placements are a lie. A one win differential is 200 ranked points, a single division is 1000 points, so going 7-0 got you from gold 2 to the middle of gold 1 or something like that. You just can't see the ranking yet. Keep up the 100% win rate and you'll be in Diamond in 30 games or so.

The good news is, next season's placements are also a lie, so if you grind your way up you'll be "placed" in diamond next season.

So whats the point of them? What dictated the starting point of gold anyway? Is there separate MMR for team/solo play? I play with my friends in QM and Unranked quite a bit and they stink but I just hero league alone, maybe that's why the games are so easy?

Gustav
Jul 12, 2006

Huh, I had Genji pegged as a great hero for new players, since he is so forgiving both of bad micro and bad judgment.

I can't play Tracer for poo poo, I don't have the reflexes, I die without knowing what happened and can't hit her ult at all. With Genji I felt like a pro the first time I played him, even while I was still figuring out what his buttons do.

flashman posted:

So whats the point of them? What dictated the starting point of gold anyway? Is there separate MMR for team/solo play? I play with my friends in QM and Unranked quite a bit and they stink but I just hero league alone, maybe that's why the games are so easy?

From what I understand your gold placement would have been based on QM, yeah. And it would have happened before you played a single placement game.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

Nephzinho posted:

Genji is [..] basically you are invincible and only die if you gently caress up or decide to go down with 2+ of them.

Yeah this is why I hate Genji right now, and he's in a ton of games, and there's almost never enough to shut him down.

Gustav posted:

Huh, I had Genji pegged as a great hero for new players, since he is so forgiving both of bad micro and bad judgment.

He's definitely not forgiving of either of those things, those are basically the only two things that can stop him.

His mobility and damage is absurd, it breaks just about every conventional rule of a MOBA character design.

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The best way to play Tracer is to do it like you're having sex.

Wiggle ineffectually and disappoint everyone involved?

Gustav
Jul 12, 2006

Libertine posted:

He's definitely not forgiving of either of those things, those are basically the only two things that can stop him.

I don't get it, just press his E, or his D, or his W, or... well I guess his Q won't save, but if you really need a 4th panic button there's always X-Strike. How do you even mess up with Genji outside of occasionally hitting just 1 shuriken instead of 2 or 3?

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

Gustav posted:

I don't get it, just press his E, or his D, or his W, or... well I guess his Q won't save, but if you really need a 4th panic button there's always X-Strike. How do you even mess up with Genji outside of occasionally hitting just 1 shuriken instead of 2 or 3?

Like the only way I see Genji dies in solo queue is by dashing into the enemy base and not timing his escape and or dashing into the entire enemy team for a kill and getting stunned and not planning his escape. He's basically impossible to kill unless he makes bad micro-judgement and pro players basically don't ever make those mistakes so I can see why he's an extremely popular pro pick.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Gustav posted:

I always take X-Strike in QM and its either a YOLO dive when there's a fight over the boss capture point or its an extra dodge that might do some damage. Dragonblade is much easier to shut down unless you happen to get lucky drafting Genji late against a team with no way to lock it down.

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot
Placements being tied to QM MMR is such bullshit.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

flashman posted:

Gustav posted:

Placements are a lie.

Is this actually true, though? I know back in season 1 your placements could move you a ton. Anecdotally it seems they may have lowered your mobility since then. Still, I find it hard to believe without some kind of confirmation that it's exactly the same ranked point gain/loss as if you weren't in placements. Perhaps a small amount like 50% more points won/lost, but hard to swallow that it's normal points but hidden.

Also:

http://us.battle.net/heroes/en/blog/20838078/2017-ranked-season-2-dates-and-rewards-6-12-2017

quote:

2017 Season 2 Start Week of June 13*
nice

quote:

We also plan to once again loosen the system’s certainty level in everyone’s skill rating, so it will be a little easier to move through the rankings during your first few matches this season.
also nice

Next season mount looks awesome, but unfortunately looks like we only get one tint:

They normally show off multiple tints and this one is specifically called "earthbreaker" so likely no icebreaker or felbreaker. I'd love to be wrong though.

Gustav
Jul 12, 2006

BrianBoitano posted:

Is this actually true, though? I know back in season 1 your placements could move you a ton. Anecdotally it seems they may have lowered your mobility since then. Still, I find it hard to believe without some kind of confirmation that it's exactly the same ranked point gain/loss as if you weren't in placements. Perhaps a small amount like 50% more points won/lost, but hard to swallow that it's normal points but hidden.

Well I don't work at Blizzard, but I've gone 8-2 in placements, and I've gone 2-8, and in both cases I ended up exactly where I started plus/minus about 6 wins worth so I'm pretty sure. If there is a modifier it must be very small.

Do we have anyone in this thread who was Gold 4 and went 8-2 in placements and got put in Plat 3 or anything even remotely like that?

Gustav fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Jun 13, 2017

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

See you guys in 11 hours.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Toshimo posted:

See you guys in 11 hours.

Get a job, hippie.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Get a job, hippie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GL9JoH4Sws

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
I really don't like the term "backdooring." Sneaking in as Abathur or Zagara or Medivacing in and destroying the core is backdooring. Walking in through the front and killing the core is... frontdooring.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Gustav posted:

Well I don't work at Blizzard, but I've gone 8-2 in placements, and I've gone 2-8, and in both cases I ended up exactly where I started plus/minus about 6 wins worth so I'm pretty sure. If there is a modifier it must be very small.

Do we have anyone in this thread who was Gold 4 and went 8-2 in placements and got put in Plat 3 or anything even remotely like that?

Sounds like we need some crowdsourced data collection. I'll post in reddit in a couple weeks after folks have finished their placement matches.

e:
Warning, cutesy campy ahead.

https://clips.twitch.tv/VictoriousConfidentSkunkFailFish

100% Grubby wanted to get caught, but also 100% his intention was making the other casters laugh, and I'm okay with that.

BrianBoitano fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Jun 13, 2017

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Grubby is the best announcer

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Live patch notes are up. They didn't highlight changes from the PTR like they normally do, and you can't even compare them to the PTR patch notes since they went back and changed them :psyduck: :tinfoil:

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
i really dislike their crusade against sustain (self and otherwise) on healers. made uther a lot less fun to play. and now malf too.

removing bolt is good though, flash has always been one of the parts i disliked about LOL

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Blink dagger in DotA would solve their problem. You can't use it if you've taken damage in the last 3 seconds. You could even increase it to 5 seconds if you REALLY don't want it to be used as an escape.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Am I reading the Season 2 post correctly in that they're still not changing anything about how TL duo-queuing works, just adding an even bigger warning for longer queue times? Did I just hallucinate that they were planning on bringing up match quality by adding a much stricter upper bound on how sloppy the matchmaker would get as queue times increased at the cost of significantly longer queue times, or did they walk back on it?

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

blastron posted:

Am I reading the Season 2 post correctly in that they're still not changing anything about how TL duo-queuing works, just adding an even bigger warning for longer queue times? Did I just hallucinate that they were planning on bringing up match quality by adding a much stricter upper bound on how sloppy the matchmaker would get as queue times increased at the cost of significantly longer queue times, or did they walk back on it?

All they said was they're looking at options. And that they definitely weren't going to allow solo queues to join in on team. Anything else you assumed was going to happen was simply you thinking Blizzard would do something besides nothing.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

bamhand posted:

All they said was they're looking at options. And that they definitely weren't going to allow solo queues to join in on team. Anything else you assumed was going to happen was simply you thinking Blizzard would do something besides nothing.

Actually, I was referring to the thing that was in the PTR patch notes:

quote:

Team League
Team League matchmaking will now allow players to wait indefinitely until the system finds a reasonable match for their skill level.
When average queue times for 2-player parties in Team League become lengthy, the leaders from additional 2-player parties attempting to enter the queue will see a warning message that they may be in for a long wait.
When this occurs, the party leader can choose to enter the lengthy queue if they are willing to wait, or cancel the queue to find additional party members and get a match more quickly.

Looks like this is actually in the main patch notes too, so either they forgot to announce this on the Season 2 page or they forgot to remove it from the patch notes.

grumplestiltzkin
Jun 7, 2012

Ass, gas, or grass. No one rides for free.
Now that everyone is trying out malthael it seems like a really good time to try murky :getin:

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real
looking for someone to plow through 15 vs AI games for diablo wings tia

Martian Manfucker fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Jun 14, 2017

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Martian Manfucker posted:

looking for someone to plow through 15 vs AI games for diablo wings tia

nozh#1482

In the lobby chat, type /join sagoons and ask there. Much more likely to catch goons who are on & available :yeah:

Paranoid Peanut
Nov 13, 2009

dunno if this has been patched in yet, but you can identify the real Samuro by way of Alarak's rite of rakshir mark... it doesn't fade or replicate once he mirror images. Also works for Nova's clone.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Played a game of Dragon Shire with a buddy and wound up with three players that had never played before. I decided to pick Tychus so we could more effectively defend against the inevitable enemy Dragon because our newbies had no idea how to hold shrines, and our Greymane spent pretty much the entire game bitching and pissing and moaning about how Tychus was garbage and there was no reason to pick him over Valla.

I ended up with twice his hero damage, half the deaths, and MVP while he didn't even get on the board. He spent the next ten minutes or so whispering me about how bad I was at the game and how I should kill myself. :toot:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

...How long have I been misreading the Dragon Shire map as Dragon Shrine?

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Bruceski posted:

...How long have I been misreading the Dragon Shire map as Dragon Shrine?

What. Its not Dragon Shrine?

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
So apparently there is no quest counter or anything for the Diablo event? :confused:

It's also mildly disappointing that most of Malthael's "lines" outside of the annoyed quotes seem to amount to little more than heavy breathing.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Power Bottom posted:

Played a game of Dragon Shire with a buddy and wound up with three players that had never played before. I decided to pick Tychus so we could more effectively defend against the inevitable enemy Dragon because our newbies had no idea how to hold shrines, and our Greymane spent pretty much the entire game bitching and pissing and moaning about how Tychus was garbage and there was no reason to pick him over Valla.

I ended up with twice his hero damage, half the deaths, and MVP while he didn't even get on the board. He spent the next ten minutes or so whispering me about how bad I was at the game and how I should kill myself. :toot:

Wrong thread, bucko.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Toshimo posted:

Wrong thread, bucko.

I wasn't bitching, I just thought it was funny that we have players who have never even seen these maps before. :confuoot:

Edit: Just played a match where the enemy team let two Terrors go to waste. These are supposed to be Diamond and up. This is what map rotations do to our fair community.

Kith fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jun 13, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

MMAgCh posted:

So apparently there is no quest counter or anything for the Diablo event? :confused:

It's also mildly disappointing that most of Malthael's "lines" outside of the annoyed quotes seem to amount to little more than heavy breathing.

That's kind of his thing. He's a stupid edgelord grimdark grim reaper guy, he's not really chatty beyond droning the word "DEATH" over and over in between hits of his Darth Vader respirator even in his source material, much like the Butcher is pretty much just grunts, roars, and fresh meat.