Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
All I do with my tac squads is a nuncio vox.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
AA, bolter, power fist and rad grenades :krad:

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

I pretty much always take AA and my special weapon from my Legion. Phoenix Spears are cool and encourage you to be aggressive, while if you don't love beautiful, sub optimal Caedere Weapons just pack those World Eaters the gently caress up and play Iron Warriors.

I pretty much always take Melta Bombs on any Sargent who doesn't have a powerfist. For 5 points it is easy to fit in, and it is a pretty low investment to let the lowly Tacticools threaten everything.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006
Played a real close one last night- 2500 points of my Ironwing vs 2500 points of outflanking Grey Slayers on his part. My army pushed pretty hard on his Spartan and Contemptor, but his outflanking Land Raider and Storm Eagle did a lot of work messing up my deployment area. We ended up contesting objectives equally, so he won by a single secondary objective by having more units than me at the end of the game (me being a gracious Dark Angels player, I also gave him d3 bonus victory points for that). In hindsight I should have been a bit more aggressive in moving my damaged tanks around the battlefield to preserve them, and I think I went after his Spartan a bit too hard- it was fun blowing it up, but I think it tied up too much of my army. Great match!

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.
Nothing like that awesome DA rule to really help your opponent out!

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

Broken Record Talk posted:

Nothing like that awesome DA rule to really help your opponent out!

Well, in this case the secondary objective was the exact same condition as my drawback, so it didn't impact the outcome of the game, and it really came down to the wire with both of us trying to wipe units. It just technically turned a 1 point loss into a blowout :v:

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
I'm so insufferable IRL TKWG doesn't invite me to play games with him anymore :(

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

As any proper self-hating Goon would do, I have decided to start a small Iron Warriors to ally to my proper army of beautiful boys. I wrote this Zone Mortalis list with stuff I figured I would have in an Iron Warriors army, minus quad mortars and artillery tanks. Any critiques would be appreciated.

++ Uncle Pert's Frown Time Boyz [1000pts] ++

+ HQ +
Forge Lord [120pts]: Artificer Armour, Chainsword or Combat Blade, Pair of Lightning Claws
. Consul
. . Forge Lord: Rad Grenades, Servo Arm

+ Elites +
Legion Destroyer Squad [160pts]
. Legion Destroyer Sergeant: Chainsword or Combat Blade, Phosphex Bombs
. Legion Destroyer Space Marine: 2x Bolt Pistol

+ Troops +
Legion Breacher Siege Squad [230pts]: 9x Legion Breacher Siege Space Marines
. Legion Breacher Siege Sergeant: Breaching Charge, Thunder Hammer

Legion Tactical Squad [195pts]: 14x Legion Tactical Space Marines
. Additional Wargear: Bolters
. Legion Tactical Sergeant: Artificer Armour
. . Power Weapon: Power Sword

+ Heavy Support +
Tyrant Siege Terminator Squad [295pts]: 4x Tyrant Terminator

+ Allegiance +
Legiones Astartes: IV: Iron Warriors, Traitor

++ Total: [1000pts] ++

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Lord_Hambrose posted:

As any proper self-hating Goon would do, I have decided to start a small Iron Warriors to ally to my proper army of beautiful boys. I wrote this Zone Mortalis list with stuff I figured I would have in an Iron Warriors army, minus quad mortars and artillery tanks. Any critiques would be appreciated.

++ Uncle Pert's Frown Time Boyz [1000pts] ++

+ HQ +
Forge Lord [120pts]: Artificer Armour, Chainsword or Combat Blade, Pair of Lightning Claws
. Consul
. . Forge Lord: Rad Grenades, Servo Arm

+ Elites +
Legion Destroyer Squad [160pts]
. Legion Destroyer Sergeant: Chainsword or Combat Blade, Phosphex Bombs

+ Troops +
Legion Breacher Siege Squad [230pts]: 9x Legion Breacher Siege Space Marines

Legion Tactical Squad [195pts]: 14x Legion Tactical Space Marines
. Legion Tactical Sergeant: Artificer Armour

+ Heavy Support +

+ Allegiance +

From the top, if you're taking a forge lord you want to give him a cyber familiar and something with AP2 in melee. For 1000 point lists a delegatus is probably the most competitive option as you could run the ZM ROW, get 4++ on your breachers, and take terminators as troops. Golg is mediocre as a character, but he can also let you take terminator boiz.

If you're set on the forge lord then you should get rid of your dead weight destroyer squad. I'd rather you use those points to turn your tactical squad into an assault squad with melee weapons. That'll do you much better for the points. That might leave you with enough points for a single rapier or an extra Tyrant or two.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

I really like the idea of a Forge Lord because if I take this list in bigger games I can add some robot pals (THALLAX or contemptors depending) easier. A Delegatus is really good idea though. Risking another victory point with them always seems risky.

I can obviously drop the Destroyers, but not sure what I would spend the points on. Probably another Tacticool Squad, or maybe add more Breachers and a Cyber Familiar or other kit on the Forge Lord.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Here is a more sensible, less Destroyer heavy list. Why can't we have nice things?

++ Uncle Pert's Frown Time Boyz ++

+ HQ +
Forge Lord [155pts]: Cataphractii Terminator Armour with Combi-bolter and Power Weapon, Chainfist
. Consul
. . Forge Lord: Cyber-familiar, Rad Grenades, Servo Arm

+ Troops +
Legion Breacher Siege Squad [350pts]: 14x Legion Breacher Siege Space Marines
. Additional Wargear: 3x Meltagun

Legion Tactical Squad [200pts]: 14x Legion Tactical Space Marines
. Legion Tactical Sergeant: Artificer Armour, Melta Bombs

+ Heavy Support +

+ Allegiance +

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006
Be a man and take the destroyers IMO

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.

BULBASAUR posted:

I'll save you the theory crafting, but it usually makes sense to grab AA so you can tank AP3. Beyond that it really depends on your legion and what they are doing.

Legions like IWs and WBs can run them naked as fodder with good morale. WE you wanna go all in because they're probably running up the table with 4 attacks on the charge. Just depends. Your most common builds are probably AA, axe, melta bomb, AA, or AA + combi weapon.

Ok. I figured it was situational I was just wondering more if it was like 40k tac sergeants where anything more than anything more than a matching combi-weapon and a bomb was considered a waste.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

Der Waffle Mous posted:

Ok. I figured it was situational I was just wondering more if it was like 40k tac sergeants where anything more than anything more than a matching combi-weapon and a bomb was considered a waste.

Definitely not the case. Almost all legions want to sink a few points into their sergeants, and any legion with sweet CC weapons (glaives, calibanite swords etc) generally want to go even deeper. HH rewards you for bigass squads with a badass leading them.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Here is a more sensible, less Destroyer heavy list. Why can't we have nice things?

++ Uncle Pert's Frown Time Boyz ++

+ HQ +
Forge Lord [155pts]: Cataphractii Terminator Armour with Combi-bolter and Power Weapon, Chainfist
. Consul
. . Forge Lord: Cyber-familiar, Rad Grenades, Servo Arm

+ Troops +
Legion Breacher Siege Squad [350pts]: 14x Legion Breacher Siege Space Marines
. Additional Wargear: 3x Meltagun

Legion Tactical Squad [200pts]: 14x Legion Tactical Space Marines
. Legion Tactical Sergeant: Artificer Armour, Melta Bombs

+ Heavy Support +

+ Allegiance +

I still think the tacticool squad is a waste. I'd take an assault squad or breachers instead. If you insist just keep them naked and be done with it.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

BULBASAUR posted:

If you insist just keep them naked and be done with it.

This feels like the last time we hung out.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Built a fucken dakka contemptor.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
Second best Legion Contemptor right there.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

BULBASAUR posted:

I still think the tacticool squad is a waste. I'd take an assault squad or breachers instead. If you insist just keep them naked and be done with it.

Mainly I already own 20 MK III guys that need a purpose, and getting nearly twice as many guys for the same points seems better when they don't need extra survivability to not run. Breachers are cool enough that I am excited to have a unit and I would rather invest my Iron Warriors bucks into quad mortars or a Typhon. Assault Squads are something I will definitely keep in mind though.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Mainly I already own 20 MK III guys that need a purpose, and getting nearly twice as many guys for the same points seems better when they don't need extra survivability to not run. Breachers are cool enough that I am excited to have a unit and I would rather invest my Iron Warriors bucks into quad mortars or a Typhon. Assault Squads are something I will definitely keep in mind though.

I always run a 20 man tactical squad with an apothecary and they do a lot of work. Shredding a squad of terminators with a fuckload of guys firing fury of the legion never gets old. You can just imagine them trying to push through until the relentless explosions of bolt shells knocks them to one knee then starts to tear the armour apart :black101:

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
So how bad of an idea is a Legion Stormlord?

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
I know there's some dude on 4chan that uses one to cart around Kharn and a bunch of Despoilers because its treated as open topped for disembarkation purposes.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

JBP posted:

perfection

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

JBP posted:

Somewhere, BULBASAUR is really mad about small, resin tubes.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Had a sudden inspiration attack while painting. Oh noble child!

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

JBP posted:

:fap:

That is a really great standard.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

JBP posted:

This owns. A Good Post.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
I got braces today. I had them put in white and blue bands. World Eaters braces! I also turned 39 today, so late braces.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I hope you'll have an easier time chewing worlds.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
The "Gently Chewed Worlds Legion" and their primarch Orthogon.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006
Braces are pretty dang close to the butchers nails imo

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

The Dentist's Nails

Xir
Jul 31, 2007

I smell fan fiction...
Dude's gonna have a hard time chewing bread at first. And then every month for a day a month.

Good luck Green Marine! Took me years to get out of the habit of tearing off chunks of my PB&J sandwiches by hand before chewing.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
lmao if you dont have perfect teeth already.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Crosspostin'. I busted out my lightbox yesterday and finally took new, actually good photos of my painted 30k DA.
Tactical Squad:

Chaplain and Dreadnought:

Group Shot, complete with my Skullapalooza Chaplain:

I don't have that much completed. :shobon: I have another 20 tacticals I've been working on on and off for forever. I'll get back to them and finish them off once I complete my current side-project, a Catachan kill team for Shadow War. :madmax:

Then it's on to three rhinos. :shepface:

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006
Realized this would be a better thread question than a slack question. What units and vehicles were around right at the beginning of the Great Crusade? I ask because I'm at the point where my DA force is pretty mature, and I have an idea for my next one- the idea is to either use the generic legion or shattered legion rules to ally with Custodes and model the Emperors army right after the Unification Wars. Everything would be in MKII armor, veterans would be I legion, and then I'd want to include some Luna Wolves and Unification Wars colored Imperial Fists as assault marines and support marines with volkite.

I know stuff like terminator armor, Land Raiders, Typhons and Sicarans would be out, but what would be in?

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Proteus would be in, they're from very early I think.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Malcadors would be in.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

Safety Factor posted:

Crosspostin'. I busted out my lightbox yesterday and finally took new, actually good photos of my painted 30k DA.

These are some good dorks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I needed to get a power fist in my army despite my obsession with phoenix spears and made a man. He punched down a building on some hapless mook.

He also punched down GW LTD headquarters I'm not even filing it off :black101:

adamantium|wang posted:

These are some good dorks

Where do you play game? Beat up my pretty army with your power gaming death guard (also I am literally retarded and play in character as a screeching purple dork).