Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

bewbies posted:

I still don't get baseball scouting.

On the one hand you've got a really talented 18 year old. On the other hand you've got a 23 year old who tore up a tough college league. I get the 18 year old probably has a higher ceiling but I do not get why you'd prefer that wide variation of possible outcomes over a guy who is probably ML ready right now.

1) MLB prospects are a huge crapshoot. Even the best prospects has huge miss ratings.

2) Money matters. you only have so much bonus money to go around and if you have a ton of picks then you have to be mindful of keeping enough money available to sign them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

IcePhoenix posted:

Other concerns I read are quality of competition, since Minnesota isn't exactly a hotbed of high school talent.

I hope he does well though, I've held a soft spot for the Mariners since the Griffey days.

Is this where I make a Mike Trout from Millville joke? I feel like it is.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Aaron Judge is the new Beefy Lad.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

It should really be an error according to the rulebook (if... a fly ball falls untouched and, in the scorer’s judgment, the fielder could have handled the ball with ordinary effort, the official scorer shall charge such fielder with an error) but there's no real way of telling who to assign the error to, and you can't give all 4 infielders an error, so it gets ruled a hit.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
The Nelson Cruz contract was extremely good.

296/368/560 152OPS+ 11.7bWAR through 2.5 years of a 4/57. My goodness.

His WAR value is basically the same it was with 8 years of Texas.

Thom P. Tiers fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Jun 13, 2017

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Julio Cruz posted:

It should really be an error according to the rulebook (if... a fly ball falls untouched and, in the scorer’s judgment, the fielder could have handled the ball with ordinary effort, the official scorer shall charge such fielder with an error) but there's no real way of telling who to assign the error to, and you can't give all 4 infielders an error, so it gets ruled a hit.

give it to the pitcher imo

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Paul Zuvella posted:

I think he's too tall and athletic to really earn that title. Definitely our Large Adult Son.

EDIT: Our Large Adult Son, our 4.0 fWAR boy :v:

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Jun 13, 2017

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.

Paul Zuvella posted:

I thought the beefy lad nicknames were given to the fat players

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

bewbies posted:

I still don't get baseball scouting.

On the one hand you've got a really talented 18 year old. On the other hand you've got a 23 year old who tore up a tough college league. I get the 18 year old probably has a higher ceiling but I do not get why you'd prefer that wide variation of possible outcomes over a guy who is probably ML ready right now.

There seems to be a shift in thinking recently where teams seem to prefer college bats above other players, all other talent being equal, with the top picks. Other than that, the history of the recent draft shows us that every player is a risk and there's no safe prospect. There have been tons of 4 year college pitchers drafted in recent history at high draft spots who didn't work out like teams expected.

Appel, Gausman, and Heaney from the 2012 draft stand out. Compare drafting them to the Twins taking Buxton at #2 overall. He still has a way to go to go but he has already shown he'll probably be much more valuable than these 3 college pitchers (or at least as valuable from a WAR standpoint) whom the Twins could have drafted instead at a time when they were desperate for pitching.

There also some huge advantages, in terms of player development, to picking a high school player since you get to put them into your system with your coaches at a young age rather than picking a guy who may have picked up things you don't like from college coaches. College pitchers also come with a ton of mileage on their arms/shoulders/elbows.

When it comes to the middle-late 1st round, it makes sense to just pick the best player available, in your team's opinion, because those picks have been shown to be such a huge crapshoot. You could wind up with Courtney Hawkins or Corey Seagar.

tldr: Picking the best player available, according to the system your team uses, is just the best way to go and you have to trust your scouting. If you keep loving up picks, it's time to fire some people and hire better scouts or be more open to listening to the scouts who are more often correct in their assessments.

tadashi fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Jun 13, 2017

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Thom P. Tiers posted:

The Nelson Cruz contract was extremely good.

296/368/560 152OPS+ 11.7bWAR through 2.5 years of a 4/57. My goodness.

His WAR value is basically the same it was with 8 years of Texas.

Baltimore basically swapped Cruz for Mark Trumbo.

I wonder how they feel about that right now.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Miz Kriss posted:

I thought the beefy lad nicknames were given to the fat players

He's listed at 50 lbs heavier than Schwarber :v:

But I'll accept Large Adult Son

Paul Zuvella fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Jun 13, 2017

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Paul Zuvella posted:

He's listed at 50 lbs heavier than Schwarber :v:

But I'll accept Large Adult Son

Being 7 inches taller than someone will do that.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Julio Cruz posted:

Being 7 inches taller than someone will do that.

Also muscle is denser than fat

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

IcePhoenix posted:

Also muscle is denser than fat

Also I'd be loving shocked if Schwarber actually is only 235.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Nelson Cruz is going to end up being Jack Z's best contract, weirdly enough. It was pretty panned at the time, too. Oh well, broken clock and all.

E: in other Mariners news, they're no longer extending the naming rights of Safeco Field after 2018. Kinda makes sense since Safeco insurance got bought out by someone else.

seiferguy fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Jun 13, 2017

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Julio Cruz posted:

Also I'd be loving shocked if Schwarber actually is only 235.

He was listed at 225 at Kane County, and that was three years and at least thirty pounds ago.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

seiferguy posted:

Nelson Cruz is going to end up being Jack Z's best contract, weirdly enough. It was pretty panned at the time, too. Oh well, broken clock and all.

E: in other Mariners news, they're no longer extending the naming rights of Safeco Field after 2018. Kinda makes sense since Safeco insurance got bought out by someone else.

What are they going to rename it to? Safeco Field was such a good name for a ballpark.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

seiferguy posted:

in other Mariners news, they're no longer extending the naming rights of Safeco Field after 2018

The time has come for it to be named Evergreen Stadium!

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
They should call it the Sky Dome

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Pungry posted:

What are they going to rename it to? Safeco Field was such a good name for a ballpark.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

seiferguy posted:

Never forget
http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/report-nelson-cruz-deal-with-mariners-rejected-by-ownership/

The drought should have ended in 2014.

seiferguy posted:

I know drat well it will just go to the highest bidder, but I'm holding out for Niehaus Field and there's no way that's not the best choice.

Tony Phillips fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Jun 13, 2017

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

https://twitter.com/MLB_PR/status/874667639074947076

Third base looking real nice so far

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Haven't seen the latest NL update yet so here you go:

https://twitter.com/MLB_PR/status/874308552453750785

over 1 million votes for Javy "replacement level" Baez :lol:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I'm the utter lack of brewers :smith:

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Julio Cruz posted:

over 1 million votes for Javy "replacement level" Baez :lol:

I'm at least half of those.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

seiferguy posted:

Robinson Cano has been worth it, so far, too. I'd argue the same broken clock theory, though. He was just the best player with a fit for them at the time.

And those crazy-rear end rumors that the Mariners essentially bid against themselves... which were said to be untrue but you have to wonder where they came from.

RE: Baez

WRC+ by month
April 38
May 121
June 52

tadashi fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Jun 13, 2017

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

iospace posted:

I'm the utter lack of brewers :smith:

Only one Met on the shortlist and it's not the guy who's 7th in the league in WAR.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

tadashi posted:

And those crazy-rear end rumors that the Mariners essentially bid against themselves... which were said to be untrue but you have to wonder where they came from.

Rangers writer Evan Grant admitted that he said it as a joke. People ran with it.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Popete posted:

I'm at least half of those.

I have reported you to donald trump for voter fraud, you're going to jail

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
https://twitter.com/MLBPipeline/status/874692234544852992

This man needs to be traded for cash considerations at some point in the future.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Thom P. Tiers posted:

https://twitter.com/MLBPipeline/status/874692234544852992

This man needs to be traded for cash considerations at some point in the future.

If he doesn't make it in baseball he's got a career waiting for him as an ambulance chaser.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

that was a great goddamned game

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

The Twins took a high school pitcher that's a hard commit to LSU with their third round pick so there's the bonus savings at work

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I feel like the Angels don't get enough poo poo for being run by complete morons.

https://twitter.com/Kazuto_Yamazaki/status/874478495367258116

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe

IcePhoenix posted:

AL ASG Update

Anaemic voting for the Blue Jays is to be expected given their performance this year, but Josh Donaldson deserves to be an All-Star. I'm surprised Justin Smoak hasn't at least made it to fifth for 1B, given the season he's having and the way Sportsnet is pushing him every broadcast.

I'm also surprised to see Encarnacion appear on the list. I thought they were hating him over in Cleveland.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Inspector_666 posted:

I feel like the Angels don't get enough poo poo for being run by complete morons.

That bum's on the DL, he's not a longterm franchise face.

Not like Pujols or this new kid they just drafted.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

IcePhoenix posted:

The Twins took a high school pitcher that's a hard commit to LSU with their third round pick so there's the bonus savings at work

Hello 2018 compensation pick!

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe

Kalenn Istarion posted:

What do people who are more informed than me think of the Jays draft picks? I've never been into prospect stats much

Here's my take: Warmoth is a pretty cool name. Here are some of the image search results for "War Moth".

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

shadok posted:

Anaemic voting for the Blue Jays is to be expected given their performance this year, but Josh Donaldson deserves to be an All-Star.

He can be the backup then because he sure as hell shouldn't be starting over Sano

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Phillies trade noted bad pitcher Joely Rodriguez to Texas for PTBNL or cash

• Locked thread