Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

strong bird posted:

We won't have to worry about this in a few days as healers won't be able to DPS in the first place

Where does this opinion keep coming from? White Mages and Astros come through pretty much unscathed on the dps front, with only the Cleric Stance bonus damage having much of an effect. The new potency on Stone 4 looks like it will come out ahead. Then we can double-dip Assize and Earthy Star.

Every job in the game looks like they lose a dot, so losing aero 1 / combust 1 isn't a big deal relative to everyone.

Countblanc posted:

The updated ToS makes casting damaging spells other than Assize a reportable offense. It's strange but I suppose it isn't my game.

Damnit, we need Tanaka back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Thundarr posted:

I am looking forward to monktanking every dungeon by default. The healer isn't dpsing anyway so he has the GCDs to keep me alive right?

As a WHM player, I love to see stuff like that. I waste so many GCDs waiting on a dps to take initiative and pull aggro...

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Thundarr posted:

I am looking forward to monktanking every dungeon by default. The healer isn't dpsing anyway so he has the GCDs to keep me alive right?

We won't need the heals. Riddle of the Earth will make us the unequivocal best tank for everything.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Any tank who doesn't take Eye4Eye being put on them as "time to pull" is a poo poo tank.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Where does this opinion keep coming from? White Mages and Astros come through pretty much unscathed on the dps front, with only the Cleric Stance bonus damage having much of an effect. The new potency on Stone 4 looks like it will come out ahead. Then we can double-dip Assize and Earthy Star.

Every job in the game looks like they lose a dot, so losing aero 1 / combust 1 isn't a big deal relative to everyone.

Seriously, it's mostly fine. We're just being moved over to a more direct-nuke-heavy method of damage dealing (you think Broil 2 comes out of nowhere?) SCH AoE got nerfed some, but poo poo, anyone who's played SCH these past six months in EXDR knew that was coming. With the change to MND-based damage, I understand why they want us to do less rolling dot DPS while healing. If we want damage, we gotta do it.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

AOE across the board was netted anyways. So Scholar losing AOE potency isn't that big a deal in relative terms.

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

Fister Roboto posted:

Good news! This is getting "fixed" too.
I mean, even if they won't be as good at it as they currently are, they will still almost certainly be better at it than the other healers.

Countblanc posted:

[Lilies] should generate on Aero and Stone :evilbuddy:
This is something I've always agreed with. Even if it's at a <100% rate, rewarding players for knowing the right time to contribute DPS with extra healing (to make up for the time they spent not healing) would be a great fix.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I agree with the movement from DoTs to active damage (though I think they could have done that in the form of things like "make Broil strengthen your DoTs" or something for flavor reasons), but Scholar's AoE dps is pretty pitiful compared to WHM and AST now. I definitely feel for scholars in dungeons compared to their contemporaries.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Sinteres posted:

Honest tanking is extremely good.

You rang? Time to do my yearbook photo

Honest Tank
Respecting content like Yoshi-P wishes everyone would since 1994

Holyshoot fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Jun 13, 2017

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM AN ETHER IN MY MOUTH. ITS FINAL FANTASY XIV STORMBLOOD AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE WITH THE BEST CLASS, RED MAGE. I DO EVERY MOVE AND I DO EVERY MOVE HARD. MAKIN WHOOSHING SOUNDS WHEN I SLAM DOWN SOME ASCIAN BASTARDS OR EVEN WHEN I MESS UP TECHNIQUE. NOT MANY CAN SAY THEY ESCAPED THE EORZEA''S MOST DANGEROUS PRISON. I CAN. I SAY IT AND I SAY IT OUTLOUD EVERYDAY TO PEOPLE IN MY GUILD AND ALL THEY DO IS PROVE PEOPLE IN MY GUILD CAN STILL BE IMMATURE JERKS. AND IVE LEARNED ALL THE SPELLS AND IVE LEARNED HOW TO MAKE MYSELF AND MY INN ROOM LESS LONELY BY SHOUTING EM ALL. 2 HOURS INCLUDING WIND DOWN EVERY MORNING. THEN I QUEUE FOR DUTY FINDER

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM AN ETHER IN MY MOUTH. ITS FINAL FANTASY XIV STORMBLOOD AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE WITH THE BEST CLASS, RED MAGE. I DO EVERY MOVE AND I DO EVERY MOVE HARD. MAKIN WHOOSHING SOUNDS WHEN I SLAM DOWN SOME ASCIAN BASTARDS OR EVEN WHEN I MESS UP TECHNIQUE. NOT MANY CAN SAY THEY ESCAPED THE EORZEA''S MOST DANGEROUS PRISON. I CAN. I SAY IT AND I SAY IT OUTLOUD EVERYDAY TO PEOPLE IN MY GUILD AND ALL THEY DO IS PROVE PEOPLE IN MY GUILD CAN STILL BE IMMATURE JERKS. AND IVE LEARNED ALL THE SPELLS AND IVE LEARNED HOW TO MAKE MYSELF AND MY INN ROOM LESS LONELY BY SHOUTING EM ALL. 2 HOURS INCLUDING WIND DOWN EVERY MORNING. THEN I QUEUE FOR DUTY FINDER

This, but completely and totally without irony. I practice my Veraero hard every day.

I really need to see if I fall too hard in love with RDM to actually heal for this expansion. :v:

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
oh i assure you that was 100% sincere i am beyond amped for Red Mage

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

MechaCrash posted:

Cure 2 has a 100% chance of granting a lily. The build they had at the media thing was a month out of date and they'd already fixed the fact that lilies were completely unreliable.

Lilies are still a bad mechanic and giving cure 2 a 100% chance to generate one is actually worse design than it was.

However, if the 'leaks' are true, then it'll be on medica 2 and regen, which is fine and dandy.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

oh i assure you that was 100% sincere i am beyond amped for Red Mage

red mage

will
be
good

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Red Mage :hellyeah:

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

SpaceDrake posted:

This, but completely and totally without irony. I practice my Veraero hard every day.

I really need to see if I fall too hard in love with RDM to actually heal for this expansion. :v:

Just heal as rdm

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
it's really friggin' hilarious that YoshiP is adamant about the idea that tanks/healers will not change to The New poo poo in Stormblood because if you play a tank or healer currently that's obviously the only role you enjoy.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Samurai will also be good but not as good

Dragoon however

will be bad

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Countblanc posted:

it's really friggin' hilarious that YoshiP is adamant about the idea that tanks/healers will not change to The New poo poo in Stormblood because if you play a tank or healer currently that's obviously the only role you enjoy.

He might be right in the long term but for at least a month or two there'll definitely be a flood to the New Hotness that will include a not-insignificant portion of current tank and healer players.

(RDM looks like a lot of fun and I will play it but if they'd managed to make it like a cool melee-range healer or a damage-to-heal healer I'd have been way into that)

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Harrow posted:

(RDM looks like a lot of fun and I will play it but if they'd managed to make it like a cool melee-range healer or a damage-to-heal healer I'd have been way into that)

I want Dancer so badly :smith:

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Countblanc posted:

We've now had 4 new jobs released and in every case the basic role breakdown didn't change at all. There is no reason to think it will change this time either.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Failboattootoot posted:

We've now had 4 new jobs released and in every case the basic role breakdown didn't change at all. There is no reason to think it will change this time either.

This doesn't really make any sense considering they have also released precisely the same number of jobs as there are party slots for those roles. And also Machinist was waaaaay less hyped than either Red Mage or Samurai, either by SE themselves or the community.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Countblanc posted:

This doesn't really make any sense considering they have also released precisely the same number of jobs as there are party slots for those roles. And also Machinist was waaaaay less hyped than either Red Mage or Samurai, either by SE themselves or the community.

Sure, mch wasn't hyped at all. You know what was? Dark Knight. How many dps switched to dark knight and stayed there for the duration of the expansion? Almost none of them. The bottom line is people don't care about a job more than they care about party role. Some tank and healers are going to give Sam and Rdm a ride and then remember oh right dps classes suck and immediately go right back to healing or tanking.

Failboattootoot fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Jun 13, 2017

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

SpaceDrake posted:

I want Dancer so badly :smith:

Depending upon how they implemented it, it'd be too similar to Bard or Monk.

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
good thing my eternal bonding wife is a pld main so I can do w/e the heck I want. :krad:

Also don't forget guys, we're supposed to get some sort of npc dungeon runners to help us out? I'd love more details on this system if it is coming btw

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Jinh posted:

good thing my eternal bonding wife is a pld main so I can do w/e the heck I want. :krad:

Also don't forget guys, we're supposed to get some sort of npc dungeon runners to help us out? I'd love more details on this system if it is coming btw

The main details on that system so far is, "not until 4.1."

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Zaphod42 posted:

You say that like it's a bad thing.

World could always use more punch-singers.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Failboattootoot posted:

Sure, mch wasn't hyped at all. You know what was? Dark Knight. How many dps switched to dark knight and stayed there for the duration of the expansion? Almost none of them. The bottom line is people don't care about a job more than they care about party role. Some tank and healers are going to give Sam and Rdm a ride and then remember oh right dps classes suck and immediately go right back to healing or tanking.

Sez you. Fell Cleave Fell Cleave Fell Cleave Fell Cleave Fell Cleave. Fell Cleave.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Was just in an A12 normal and two white mages that literally just stood around for half the fight doing nothing.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Zaphod42 posted:

Don't trample over my dreams of punch-healing.

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe
Kick, Punch, it's all in the MND.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Punch healing would be good

Ever since WoW sorta played with that with Monk (but never really committed) I've wanted someone to actually pull it off. Red Mage would've been a decent fit (using different En-spells to add healing/defensive stuff to your melee attacks or something) but since that's pure DPS, maybe a potential future Dancer job could do it.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Countblanc posted:

On the other hand yoship is also the one with access to actual player data from the game itself sooo

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
But how would they even give a dancer a flamethrower??

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Light a scarf on fire

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Are goons gonna form a 24 man to spam out pvp with 6 samurai and 2 rdm in mind gear for healing per party?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I want a Chemist healer. Mix abilities together to create combo potions.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Saint Freak posted:

But how would they even give a dancer a flamethrower??

You would discover a new god, Michael, and receive his gift of feet in flames.

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

SKULL.GIF posted:

Still waiting for this. I want to throw potions at people to heal them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

SKULL.GIF posted:

Dex-based ranged job with a mortar as their weapon. Mix and launch potions at incredible hihg speeds.

I think the biggest problem would be remembering all the different mix combos, which has always been the Chemist's "problem."

• Locked thread