Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

az posted:

I have to give it to rip69 for 2700 games in a Lexington and 400 Wyoming games and still being that bad.

I don't even remember what happened in that game, just that it was pretty bad. Was that the one where we got annihilated by the super-Tirpitz?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.
What skills should I be looking at for Russian CA past 10 points?

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

Big McHuge posted:

What skills should I be looking at for Russian CA past 10 points?

Tier 6-8 benefit hugely from IFHE, superintendant is useful on tiers 8+, AFT on 9+ if you want to be AA cancer. Vigilance is always not a bad choice.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
What's the best way to build good game sense and git guuder? I'm getting better at landing hits, but my number one problem is getting caught out of position due to too much or too little aggression. I'm watching that mini-map ( not enough ), but I'm not processing the information effectively enough.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.

Blindeye posted:

Tier 6-8 benefit hugely from IFHE, superintendant is useful on tiers 8+, AFT on 9+ if you want to be AA cancer. Vigilance is always not a bad choice.

I'm in the Shchors right now and I've got IFHE already. There isn't one skillset that would serve me all the way up through T10? I hate the idea of having to start a fresh captain at such higher tiers.

Dralun
May 22, 2012

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

What's the best way to build good game sense and git guuder? I'm getting better at landing hits, but my number one problem is getting caught out of position due to too much or too little aggression. I'm watching that mini-map ( not enough ), but I'm not processing the information effectively enough.

I'm sure there are a bunch of ways to answer this, but I think the biggest way to git gud is to just keep playing. I was pretty bad for my first few hundred matches then things just started to click for the most part. Not sure what tier you are up to yet, but go back and play tier 3-4 games on occasion.

Beyond that, make your mini map bigger and turn ship names on for it. It helps with SA and you'll learn over time what you need to stay away from and what you can bully (think radar cruisers as a DD or a torp BBs as another BB). I think you said it before, but realize there are times that it it best not to shoot. Don't stay stuck in zoomed in view and after every shot, zoom back out and right click look around. One last thing, pay attention to your team mates. Try not to be the closest to the enemy if playing CA or BB, as people tend to shoot the closest thing to them, and learn when you need to get out of a bad situation due to rest of your team turning around or getting killed.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

Big McHuge posted:

I'm in the Shchors right now and I've got IFHE already. There isn't one skillset that would serve me all the way up through T10? I hate the idea of having to start a fresh captain at such higher tiers.

Concealment and DE for sure apply to all of them, but I had assumed you had those.

The Moskva is a huge change from earlier tiers though, with IFHE being useless on it.

What I did was priority target/adrenaline rush/demolition expert/IFHE, then concealment. After that you have 5 points, so it depends on whether you want to dodge torps, have more heals/radar, gently caress over sky cancer harder or take less fire damage.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

Big McHuge posted:

I hate the idea of having to start a fresh captain at such higher tiers.

You could just bite the bullet and respec.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Watch every Flamu video. He's very good at explaining tactics and giving examples of both what to do and what not to do. Also I enjoy just listening to his voice.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Biggest thing is after each match, especially if you died, figure out where you went wrong. Even if a game is unwinnable if you went down early to mid game, there was probably a better choice to be made somewhere. Ie did you shoot the right target, did you sail in the right direction, where you needlessly aggressive and ended up being focused down.

Also play all 3 classes (4 if you are a cancerous individual who thinks dropping a full spread of torpedoes on someone with 0 risk to yourself is fair) in sets and try to replicate tactics which killed you the most often last time. If you died to DD torpedoes as a BB frequently, go play a DD and see how it looks from their perspective. It will help you identify high risk situations before you enter them.

Some general rules.

As a BB:

-Never repair 1 fire unless you are absolutely safe
-Never sail close to islands unless there are friendly teammates spotting the opposite side or you are 100% sure there are no DDs alive or in the area
-If given the choice between firing at a cruiser or a BB, and the chance to hit either is the same, choose the cruiser
-Never show the side of your ship to another BB when you know he reload is up or is about to finish
-Be a tank without over exposing yourself
-Always choose to slow down, stop, and slowly reverse to back up rather than give broadside to an enemy. You will stay in the line of fire longer but you will 100% live longer than the guy who turns and shows broadside under enemy fire.

As a CA:
-Never show the side of your ship to enemies that have turrets aimed remotely in your direction
-Given the choice between shooting a DD and anything else and chance to hit is equal, choose the DD
-It is always ok to stop firing to drop back into concealment and take a moment to figure out where to go and who to shoot
-Always try to have an island that you can put between you and the enemy in short notice.
-NEVER TORP WHEN FRIENDLY SHIPS ARE IN FRONT OF YOU.

As a DD:
-NEVER TORP WHEN FRIENDLY SHIPS ARE IN FRONT OF YOU.
-Contest caps whenever possible
-It is always ok to not shoot guns to remain undetected, especially if you launched torps while concealed.
-Always torp smoke screens that you suspect have enemies in them.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
Am I missing something or is it impossible to see rewards for tasks ingame? Like I am doing Science of Victory, and besides the final task in each mission the reward just shows as a create - I need to look on the wiki to see which ones have flags or free XP etc.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Mousing over the crate should show what is in it.

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

Darkrenown posted:

Am I missing something or is it impossible to see rewards for tasks ingame? Like I am doing Science of Victory, and besides the final task in each mission the reward just shows as a create - I need to look on the wiki to see which ones have flags or free XP etc.

Are you trusted with scissors?

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

Cippalippus posted:

I disagree here. A Belfast with a good captain is incredibly overpowered. I aim to hit 100k average damage in it soon.

Can you give me some pointers? I've had a couple decent damage wins but it's so fragile and I either play way too passively, or drift out from behind a rock, accidentally hit hydroacoustic search instead of smoke, and lose 90% of my health to a BB.

My basic strategy is to find an Island and post up next to it and try to isolate enemies, using my smoke to pump out damage. The main issue I'm running into is just lack of targets, or targets I can't hit. Or there's too many and I get pushed into and die. Also people focus me down, smoke or not.

I've got an 11 point captain with PT, AR, SI, and CE and all the standard mods including the concealment one, AA, etc.

Cippalippus
Mar 31, 2007

Out for a ride, chillin out w/ a couple of friends. Going to be back for dinner

Trillhouse posted:

Can you give me some pointers? I've had a couple decent damage wins but it's so fragile and I either play way too passively, or drift out from behind a rock, accidentally hit hydroacoustic search instead of smoke, and lose 90% of my health to a BB.

My basic strategy is to find an Island and post up next to it and try to isolate enemies, using my smoke to pump out damage. The main issue I'm running into is just lack of targets, or targets I can't hit. Or there's too many and I get pushed into and die. Also people focus me down, smoke or not.

I've got an 11 point captain with PT, AR, SI, and CE and all the standard mods including the concealment one, AA, etc.

Ideally you want to shoot at BBs and you want higher tiers because you can farm more damage.
Learn to use your smoke and be smart about it: deploy it imagining an escape route and possibly 10 or 11km from enemy BBs.
Try to have some hard cover between you and destroyers. If you can't, use hydroacustic search. Never be broadside to a BB while you're spotted out of smoke. If you have multiple targets, cycle between them and start multiple fires or you will saturate them quickly.
Avoid the open sea. Stay around your team, because you need them to spot for you.
Most importantly, if you think that something is a stupid idea that will probably get you killed, you can be sure that you will die: be cautious.

These are the basics. You'll learn to be good/great by playing. Well, I'm still learning too, you never cease to find new ways to punch pubbies in the balls.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Burt posted:

Are you trusted with scissors?

gently caress off.

Heartcatch posted:

Mousing over the crate should show what is in it.

Apparently mods can break this as clearing out does indeed make them show on mouseover.

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

Cippalippus posted:

Ideally you want to shoot at BBs and you want higher tiers because you can farm more damage.
Learn to use your smoke and be smart about it: deploy it imagining an escape route and possibly 10 or 11km from enemy BBs.
Try to have some hard cover between you and destroyers. If you can't, use hydroacustic search. Never be broadside to a BB while you're spotted out of smoke. If you have multiple targets, cycle between them and start multiple fires or you will saturate them quickly.
Avoid the open sea. Stay around your team, because you need them to spot for you.
Most importantly, if you think that something is a stupid idea that will probably get you killed, you can be sure that you will die: be cautious.

These are the basics. You'll learn to be good/great by playing. Well, I'm still learning too, you never cease to find new ways to punch pubbies in the balls.

Thank you for the advice. I just applied it for a few games and did a lot better.

And I set a personal best 3 "Close Quarters Expert" achievements in a single battle, which is 1 more than I've ever done in a BB. Thanks cyclone!

I'm working on grinding the Emerald (with a different captain than the Belfast) at the same time in the hopes of having a Leander for ranked.The Emerald is total poo poo.

Trillhouse fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Jun 13, 2017

Lady Morgaga
Aug 27, 2012

by Smythe
None of Brit cruisers are poo poo.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

The Emerald is bad enough that Leander has to spend its entire grind apologising.

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

Trillhouse posted:

I'm working on grinding the Emerald (with a different captain than the Belfast) at the same time in the hopes of having a Leander for ranked.The Emerald is total poo poo.

Pretend you're a DD with a citadel. Abuse the everloving gently caress out of the torpedoes. You get 8 per side; there's a lot of DD's around that tier that wish they had 8 torps on the ship.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
The Emerald is weaker than the Leander in that its gun placement is worse, but its torpedoes are HILARIOUS.

The game I'll always remember is on Two Brothers, where I stopped a three-cruiser push down the east side entirely by myself. I popped the smoke, hid in it until it was about to run out, then put the pedal down. All three of the ships were right in front of me. I dumped torps and citadels into them, blew the Myoko clean out of the water and tore more than half the health off the other two. Ninety thousand damage in under a minute, not bad for a tier 5 ship against two 6es and a 7.

They killed me, of course. I can't recommend doing poo poo like that unless you have a good island plan. But I probably saved that game by keeping them from hitting the entire rest of the team in the rear end, causing panic.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
Getting deleted by planes because your ship's AAA sucks and it can't turn is the worst. Literally nothing you can do except hug friendly ships, but that is some boring poo poo.

Heartcatch posted:

The Emerald is bad enough that Leander has to spend its entire grind apologising.

The last ten or so games I had in the Emerald, I totally clicked in it. My very last game was one where I charged 3 battleships, gunned down one, torped the second, and rammed the third with a thousand or so health left on my bar. I don't hate it, but I do delete them constantly when I'm in a BB.

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?
I've had two Krakens in the Emerald, and have yet to do that in any other ship.

I agree with Rorac & Redeye Flight on how to play it.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
Re: Belfast. I thought IFHE was preferable as the 10 point pick since it allows your HE to beat 25mm and 32 mm plating which are major thresholds.

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?
This match basically summed up how my night was going:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

MikeC posted:

Re: Belfast. I thought IFHE was preferable as the 10 point pick since it allows your HE to beat 25mm and 32 mm plating which are major thresholds.

You do want IFHE on the Belfast, but the question is if you want it before CE. It has stupid concealment (8.7km) with CE so it's very desirable for survivability.

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

I went back and forth when I respecced the captain. I decided on concealment because it's just so fragile but I don't think IFHE first is a bad choice at all. I think you have to spend the next four points on whichever one you didn't pick though.

For fun I looked at the winrates for all the ships on NA to see which was the worst (it's Essex, though the other high tier American CVs don't fare much better) and was surprised to see the new Tier 9 Tashkent at 7th to last place with a pathetic 36k average damage. I actually really enjoy the ship and was surprised to see how bad the average player is in it. Im averaging Witherer achievements often enough that I always have +fire chance flags. I just don't think pubbies understand it or something. It's not rocket science: go fast, set fires, and poop out torps every minute. I wonder if they'll be disappointed when they don't do much better in the Khaba? Or if the extra turret and armor carry them.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012

Trillhouse posted:

For fun I looked at the winrates for all the ships on NA to see which was the worst (it's Essex,

I've started playing CVs a lot more in recent days having unlocked both the Taiho and Essex at least 6 months ago. This is going to sound weird, and no doubt at all the Taiho is better, but for some reason I enjoy playing the Essex more. I think that the Taiho is better at the start of games, esp because it is so much better at dealing with DDs. But towards the end of games when ships are spread out, the Essex damage potential overtakes Taiho. The USN dive bombers are very satisfying.

Note that anyone who thinks AS Bogues are cancerous wants to face an AS Essex to see something truly loving awful.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

My hot-take on the Belfast is I still just use my normal RN Captains in it because it's still amazing even without IFHE and Demolition Expert.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
I would almost certainly have bought a Belfast if my Minotaur or Fiji captain were optimal in it. The Fiji is a decent substitute though.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

TheFluff posted:

You do want IFHE on the Belfast, but the question is if you want it before CE. It has stupid concealment (8.7km) with CE so it's very desirable for survivability.

Cant you sit in smoke for like 75% of the game? At least that's how last ranked season felt

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

kaesarsosei posted:

I've started playing CVs a lot more in recent days having unlocked both the Taiho and Essex at least 6 months ago. This is going to sound weird, and no doubt at all the Taiho is better, but for some reason I enjoy playing the Essex more. I think that the Taiho is better at the start of games, esp because it is so much better at dealing with DDs. But towards the end of games when ships are spread out, the Essex damage potential overtakes Taiho. The USN dive bombers are very satisfying.

Note that anyone who thinks AS Bogues are cancerous wants to face an AS Essex to see something truly loving awful.
Those DBs are great when they hit but they alternate between "just got a 15k hit with a single squadron" satisfying and "this ship was bigger than the DB circle itself but the bombs still somehow missed" frustration because for some reason they get real crap accuracy compared to the IJN DBs. That said USN CV can be much more relaxing due to having less squadrons to order around, and having a 7 strength fighter squadron is hilarious when strafing.

Speaking of DBs, according to those SEA-Group guys:

quote:

Enterprise
Dive bombers now carry 1000lb Mk33 AP bombs.
Maximum Damage 7300; Fixed penetration 70mm -250mm (overpenetrate weaker armor), does not cause fire.
Bomb drops vertically and ricochet at 45°. Bomb dispersion: V 240 meters / H 51 meters; manual drop (ALT-attack) is 10% more accurate than auto drop.

Besides, a more powerful 1600lb Mk1 AP bomb has been added to the US CVs' arsenal.
Maximum Damage 9100; Fixed penetration 70mm -250mm (overpenetrate weaker armor), does not cause fire.
Bomb drops vertically and ricochet at 45°.
Bomb dispersion: V 270 meters / H 54 meters; manual drop (ALT-attack) is 10% more accurate than auto drop.
AP bombs finally happening?

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
Is the next ranked season going to be just Tier 6 or Tier 6 / Tier 8 like two seasons before?

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

MoraleHazard posted:

Is the next ranked season going to be just Tier 6 or Tier 6 / Tier 8 like two seasons before?

It's gonna be 6.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

TheFluff posted:

I took it before CE, I figure that I'll try to be in smoke most of the time and I'd rather dump out some damage then maybe survive a little longer.

Cippalippus
Mar 31, 2007

Out for a ride, chillin out w/ a couple of friends. Going to be back for dinner
They just announced it's going to be T6. There are just so many T6 ships to choose from... It's a much more balanced tier.

Is the Mutsu a good boat for ranked? I don't have one but... Why not?

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
There are a lot of good ships to choose from; Flamu's inevitable vid on which ships are the best should be interesting. Nothing jumps out at me for being stupidly OP for the tier.

I'm thinking Warspite will definitely be strong. So will an IFHE Cleveland or Budyonny.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Gonna be nice to play my Warspite without there being a 90% chance of being bottom tier.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
For me at T6 I have the following ships which I would consider bringing in:

Cleveland - probably the best overall ship in capable hands and with the right captain ie 14+ points (edges Budyonny due to the AA)
Warspite - toss up between this and Bayern. Warspite has better guns and concealment, Bayern is tougher and has better AA
Shinonome - outspots everything else I think? And has the best torps at the tier but the DDs are best balanced of all classes at T6, which is the main reason why I think T6 is the best tier for ranked. I think any DD needs a minimum 14 pt commander
Ryujo - clearly better than Independence but I don't know if I want to play a CV in ranked. 11 pt commander required
Molotov - I love this ship but it is too fragile for ranked and its strengths are not suited to ranked gameplay. Possibly useful at earlier tiers ie vs worse players

Other ships I don't have that might be good?

Arizona
Mutsu - is this a Nagato at T6 but with crap AA? Why is it not OP?
Anshan - has Hydro? If this and/or the German DD both have hydro they would be pro-picks
Leander/Perth - smoke shenanigans. I can imagine the hilarity of a well co-ordinated team all creeping about in a Perth smoke while 1 DD or a CV spots

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

You have forgotten Dunkerque, and Duca

Also La Galissonniere is better than Budyonny anyway.

Also, the new Gallant has a better spotting range than Shinonome, by a matter of 180m, and the superior torpedo layout with 2 quad launchers (61kts) vs 3 triple launchers (63kts) albeit with a 20s slower reload.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Jun 14, 2017