Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

EclecticTastes posted:

Golden Fist makes even less sense than Pay Day. Like, it's strange enough trying to figure out where Meowth gets all that money from and why they don't just give it to you up-front, but now you got a Pokemon that punches dudes and money falls out of them, like all Pokemon are secretly cash pinatas.

It IS nicknamed Midas. Maybe the move turns a part of the enemy into gold. Then Dick Solomon just runs up and snaps off a solid gold horn or whatever to sell later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Rainuwastaken posted:

It IS nicknamed Midas. Maybe the move turns a part of the enemy into gold. Then Dick Solomon just runs up and snaps off a solid gold horn or whatever to sell later.

So you're saying that this time the player is the wicked villain victimizing Pokemon for profit. Bold move by the writing staff.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
And the game is, in turn, the villain victimizing the player. How many layers deep does it go???? :tinfoil:

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

EclecticTastes posted:

Golden Fist makes even less sense than Pay Day. Like, it's strange enough trying to figure out where Meowth gets all that money from and why they don't just give it to you up-front, but now you got a Pokemon that punches dudes and money falls out of them, like all Pokemon are secretly cash pinatas.

:psyduck:
It operates on Scott Pilgrim logic

Gotta get your bus fare somehow, after all and sometimes there's no army of evil exes to turn into dosh

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

PMush Perfect posted:

And the game is, in turn, the villain victimizing the player. How many layers deep does it go???? :tinfoil:

The devs certainly like to think of themselves as villains victimizing Nintendo :v: though Nintendo could not possibly care less about them if they tried.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Malachite_Dragon posted:

The devs certainly like to think of themselves as villains victimizing Nintendo :v: though Nintendo could not possibly care less about them if they tried.

The team skull of fangame devs.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
I actually quite like the idea of something with Frost Breath getting technician as an ability. Give it to Dewgong or something as a hidden ability along with Water Shuriken and it's good to go. It even gets Aqua Jet and Icicle Spear if it wants to run a physical set!

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

chiasaur11 posted:

The team skull of fangame devs.
The important difference is that Team Skull is actually cool and good despite failing all the time.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Haifisch posted:

The important difference is that Team Skull is actually cool and good despite failing all the time.

Team Skull also has a tragic/comic degree of self-awareness, which seems to be something the Uranium team lacks.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Dragonatrix posted:

This is basically just that one line from Black/White but with bars of gold instead of lumber/a girder/some concrete, right? Because that's all I'm getting from this.

i like it, the concept is ok and they didnt go overboard with the design or anything. probably one of the better pokemon from this game

EclecticTastes posted:

:psyduck:

man, who cares

Ace of Aces
Feb 25, 2017

ZENRYOKU ZENKAI

Vinylshadow posted:

It operates on Scott Pilgrim logic

Gotta get your bus fare somehow, after all and sometimes there's no army of evil exes to turn into dosh

It's based on the user's level though... maybe it's a multiplier to how much they're worth.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
I am impressed and mildly concerned that you care enough about this to go into stats and usability instead of just laughing, OFS

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

GeneX posted:

I am impressed and mildly concerned that you care enough about this to go into stats and usability instead of just laughing, OFS

It is a layer that most people won't ever see, so I think it is worth acknowledging that a bunny faster than jolteon can check intimidate users or require scarfers to revenge-kill , and it is hard to tell the difference without falling for it.

A lot of Uranium guys have symptoms of over-tuning like that, and I have to explore it, even if they aren't mainstays like Inflagetah or Nucleon.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

I imagine the money for majungold comes from parts of its own arms breaking off, which then regrows.

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Apport: the Orb of Zot
The orb shrieks as your magic touches it!
Yoink! You pull the item towards yourself.
You see here the Orb of Zot.
I am actually in shock as to how good the ninja sidequest rewards are. Easy EV training without any cost except time like Super Training (and with there being no cost you can just automate pressing A somehow and go do something else while it finishes itself for you), the items you use for EV training to begin with via the normal method of "beat stuff up", the base form of what eventually becomes a BST 600 pesudo-legendary, and even repeatable fights that give good EXP + decent money while also giving even more EVs focused into a single stat. And if you're lucky enough to get Pokerus, that's just 4 runs to get an EV completely capped out.

This is a good idea. Hell, I'll take this over Gen 7 EV training, and it's probably the third-best way to EV train I've ever seen in Pokemon or associated fan games. (Second place for reference would be Horde battles in Gen 6 once you got the related infrastructure, and first place would be how Touhou Puppet Dance Preformance just lets you distribute the EVs exactly where you want them with no fuss whatsoever)

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

the Orb of Zot posted:

I am actually in shock as to how good the ninja sidequest rewards are. Easy EV training without any cost except time like Super Training (and with there being no cost you can just automate pressing A somehow and go do something else while it finishes itself for you), the items you use for EV training to begin with via the normal method of "beat stuff up", the base form of what eventually becomes a BST 600 pesudo-legendary, and even repeatable fights that give good EXP + decent money while also giving even more EVs focused into a single stat. And if you're lucky enough to get Pokerus, that's just 4 runs to get an EV completely capped out.

This is a good idea. Hell, I'll take this over Gen 7 EV training, and it's probably the third-best way to EV train I've ever seen in Pokemon or associated fan games. (Second place for reference would be Horde battles in Gen 6 once you got the related infrastructure, and first place would be how Touhou Puppet Dance Preformance just lets you distribute the EVs exactly where you want them with no fuss whatsoever)

You're talking like Super Training isn't both fun and good when it undeniably is both of those things. :colbert:

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
I hate super training. I use the stylus with my left hand and that makes the minigame just terrible.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

I hate super training. I use the stylus with my left hand and that makes the minigame just terrible.

Fellow lefty! :hfive:

And yeah, I hate it when you can't reverse the controls.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

Totally agreed. I'm left-handed, and I found a lot of Wii motion-control games, and some DS games requiring a stylus to be extremely fussy and touchy for me while my right-handed friends have no such issues, even the certifiable klutz and the guy who just breaks electronics by breathing too hard on them.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Another lefty checking in. I ended up trying to do it right handed, which was enough because the minigame is easy. Still really annoying though!

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

This is funny because I'm left-handed and didn't have any trouble with it, not sure what was supposed to make it more difficult, but it's been a while since I last did Super Training.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
The movement controls are on the left side of the DS, so it's kind of hard to use the stylus in your left hand and move around.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
I'm left-handed so it was mildly annoying but I've learned from years of PC games (along with golf and tennis) to use my right hand for everything short of writing so I don't really see the fuss.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
i'm right-handed, get owned inferior beings

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Apport: the Orb of Zot
The orb shrieks as your magic touches it!
Yoink! You pull the item towards yourself.
You see here the Orb of Zot.

EclecticTastes posted:

You're talking like Super Training isn't both fun and good when it undeniably is both of those things. :colbert:

I did not say that. Super Training was a blast.

It's just in terms of getting EV training done quickly that this is a really good way to take care of it.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

mandatory lesbian posted:

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

i'm right-handed, get owned inferior sinistrals

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Don't let the Sinistrals hear you say that. Except Erim

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.
I'm right handed and I still think Super Training is awful. It just isn't a very fun minigame, especially when you're playing it dozens of times.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy
Volchik is cute. Did we already see the evolution's actual sprite?

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

:(

I just want to be able to game good and do other things good too

I don't think super training was a bad idea though. I just wish there was a way to make it a little easier on people who can't use the stylus in their right hand well or at all. Accessibility!

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

:(

I just want to be able to game good and do other things good too

I don't think super training was a bad idea though. I just wish there was a way to make it a little easier on people who can't use the stylus in their right hand well or at all. Accessibility!

Same, it was pretty drat rough. I don't know how they flubbed it, either; Kid Icarus Uprising was fully reversible (though its control scheme kinda sucks for both handers, soooo). On the other hand, Skyward Sword also completely hosed me over, which was kinda bullshit since Link was left-handed all the way through the series up until you actually had to do his swordplay yourself.

Though not a Ninty/GF developed game, TWEWY still shines though as the perfect example of utilizing all possible controls available to a system in an accessible and generally nonclunky manner (with the possible exception of 3rd partner, who felt terrible after the ease of the 2nd.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
The actual problem with Super Training is that it is slow as poo poo. Hordes let you get 252/252/6 spreads in like five minutes.

Taciturn Tactician posted:

Volchik is cute. Did we already see the evolution's actual sprite?

Yes, actually, but you probably forgot because it's in the 7th gym and a complete non-sequitur:

Volchik > Voltasu > Yatagaryu.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

ungulateman posted:

I'm left-handed so it was mildly annoying but I've learned from years of PC games (along with golf and tennis) to use my right hand for everything short of writing so I don't really see the fuss.
It's difficult living in a world where 90% of the human population is doing things wrong.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Nothing is very clear that to proceed you're going back to the dock. I guess since it was the previous time you went from Bealbeach to Vinoville, maybe?

There's a reason Pokemon games have constant and aggressive directions, especially when it involves backtracking.

This guy does not explain the mission.

So I guess we take the luxury cruise to danger?

Kellyn may be hospitalized but that won't prevent him from spewing endless dialogue over the nuclear event music!

No other track plays outside of battle for the rest of the update.

He gives us Nuclear Balls, a totally redundant type of Poke Ball that catches things that were in Quick Balls last turn, keep up gramps.

Turns out standing in front of a major source of radiation is bad without protection.

There's only one, the rest will have to be like that NPC and look like characters from STALKER or something.

Arbitrary reference to the magma/aqua suit from OR/AS? Sure.

"My 13-year-old son, who is somehow as large as I am."

He reiterates our mission! This happens a lot!

By the way, if you die in the video game, you die in real life. Pack plenty of Revives.

Oh good they have stylers that overcome homicidal rage I was worried (I wasn't worried).

Pro: each of the gender options have their own hazard suit sprites.

Con: Can't run while in the suit, making this take longer.

Don't worry, Theo! You can go join some sort of post-apocalyptic setting once you're done here.

And so we exit the boat.

And so...

And so we exit the boat.

Wait, this actually is the post-apocalyptic setting. You fit right in!

Route 8 was pretty open and had multiple paths, but radiation-induced giant boulders force one way through the map.

This is fine, what would you do with the rest of the map?

The wild Pokemon are all high level Nuclear forms. No nuclear Misdreavuses or Cottonees. Shame, I'd like a radioactive cherry blossom.

Nuclear pokemon battle music got a replacement recently, too!

OFSelects: Daughters: Recorded Inside A Pyramid

You know what would be cooler? Running.

Uh, Theo, I think that's a tiny man in a hazmat suit.

But suddenly we are beset by a nuclear horde!

They're functionally trainers, with a script giving them the unique entry lines and no pokeball animation.

Pro: Even these sprites are unique for all three gender options.

Con: Theo doesn't have his gas mask, nothing at all is said about how the Pokemon survive this radiation given that, well, irridation caused our current opponents.

Nuclear Hordes are trainers even down to the weird-rear end switching.

They're also okay experience, but not enough.

It's never enough.

It's almost like they're trainers, or something.

Actually this is to surmise that CURIE knows we're here and trying to get at them.

Thanks for the PST, I could never have lived without knowing what radioactive puppers were saying exactly.

More Halfli berries. They make Natural Gift a 60-power Nuclear attack, which is a scary prospect honestly. No grass-type has a real hard check, and it might just dunk a dual-type thing at random.

It's running into a grove of some sort!

The tiny spot has been completely cleaned.

There's a race of aliens in Xenoblade Chronicles X that basically eat pollution. I'd refer to them, but no one would get it because I'm the only person weird enough to have enjoyed that and also look at Pokemon Uranium.

They have the same cry as Barewl. I never did post that, did I?

It is the greatest sound effect in the world.

Hazma is a tiny armless dinosaur in a hazmat suit.

It is the most beautiful creature on God's Arceus's green Earth.

It is, without a doubt, the Top Boy.

Of course you tell people about this magnificent lifeform!

Also it eats radiation, which may be helpful and important in restoring places impacted by radioactive disasters.

Alas, we must defeat the bad guy instead of admiring Hazma all day.

Spoopyboot is actually tagging along, because gently caress it, I have a Navighast and I want to use it! Navighast is fighting/ghost with Levitate, which is mighty but not unsolvable, and its stats are big but they're allocated just weirdly enough that it isn't some over-tuned rear end in a top hat. I like it.

I understand the sprite is kinda hard to see, so she looks like this:

Hammer Arm is the move we use and never because we want to. It's only when something doesn't have a better option that we finally just accept this garbage, which happens surprisingly often. Spoopyboot knows Drain Punch, so she's not in that boat.

While Nuclear Slash is the main physical Nuclear move, Radioacid is the special one. The 30% burn rate did a lot of work for Scald and Lava Plume, but it doesn't really jive with how Nuclear-types work.

Finally I can bust out the single least balanced thing in Pokemon Uranium: Mega Inflagetah.

175 base speed, putting it above itself as the fastest thing in Uranium and only 5 below Deoxys-speed in terms of canon Pokemon. With no EV investment, it sits at the equivalent of base 117 at max. It can't not outspeed ostensibly fast things like Floatzel, and with minimal resources would go ahead of Alakazam and Dugtrio.

Base attack got a significant bump, up to 145. Its ability is still Acceleration, so it still wrecks the entire universe with Flame Impact. Oh, but it got a little buff to both defenses, so it's harder to stop as well. Why did one of the already-strongest things in the game get a mega evolution that makes it just that much better?

And it looks dumb, too!

Dark-type quick attack. Not as mighty as Sucker Punch, but not conditional.

It's a thing!

We've finally reached Power Plant Omicrom. Theo is feeling the effects of reaching Ground Zero.

It uses the same front as Epsilon, the other power plant that exploded.

Kellyn is all "no theo you will totally die from radiation poisoning"

And Theo just don't wanna leave his homie behind.

Dude, I feel ya, but only one of us is in a supersuit.

Suddenly the radio cuts out.

And the suit's computer voice (which it has btw) says there's a spike, which means-

It then glows or something, which is this game's universal sign that Urayne's doing something nasty.

And all goes dark!!!

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

Finally, we've found it. This is the only genuinely good thing to come out of this game's stupid nuclear gimmick. It's the Top Boy.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
rip Theo. Hey, the Hazmat suit battle sprite looks kinda good.

Hazma pokemon is dumb but cute-ish.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Orange Fuzzy Sheep posted:

He gives us Nuclear Balls, a totally redundant type of Poke Ball that catches things that were in Quick Balls last turn, keep up gramps.
Yeah, but lots of Poke Balls are redundant with Quick Balls, otherwise known as The Best Poke Ball. The only reason Poke Balls themselves aren't redundant is because you can buy them before you can buy Quick Balls.

Arbitrary reference to the magma/aqua suit from OR/AS? Sure.
Eh, I'll give them a pass on this one. If this was an official game, everyone would be making GBS threads themselves over the reference and congratulating Nintendo on connecting the games' plot. The reason the reference is unwelcome in Uranium is because it connects Uranium to games we like.

"My 13-year-old son, who is somehow as large as I am."
My father is 5'11". I was 6' tall my freshman year of high school, at age 14. Certainly not impossible.

Hammer Arm is the move we use and never because we want to. It's only when something doesn't have a better option that we finally just accept this garbage, which happens surprisingly often. Spoopyboot knows Drain Punch, so she's not in that boat.
I mean, it seems like a Contrary 'mon with this move basically has Speed Boost as a move, but your ghost crocodile pirate doesn't have that, so...

It then glows or something, which is this game's universal sign that Urayne's doing something nasty.
Uranium's not going to kill the rival for cheap drama, right? Please tell me Uranium's not going to kill the rival. That only works when the rival is likeable.

Commander Keene fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Jun 13, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

krisslanza
May 6, 2011

Tired Moritz posted:

rip Theo. Hey, the Hazmat suit battle sprite looks kinda good.

Hazma pokemon is dumb but cute-ish.

The only issue I have with it is, I think in this 'story' all this nuclear radiation issues is a very recent problem, right?
How did some Pokemon suddenly exist that can eat and cleanse radiation, if its only been a problem within the past like, 3 days. :psyduck:

• Locked thread