Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

evilweasel posted:

sessions has hosed up baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaadly here

he has said that he's giving Trump the chance to review the question and decide to invoke executive privilege, so now he's thrown Trump under the bus who now must assert it or not

Which is super hosed up btw. If executive privilege hasn't been invoked, answer the loving question, it's not your call to withhold that hoping Trump covers your rear end along with his own

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monowhatever
Mar 19, 2010

I love that sessions keep trying to get the last word in after someone dunks on him.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

beejay posted:

Sessions has not and will not provide anything of substance here.

not quite. he's painted himself into a corner and is likely going to be charged for perjury.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Heinrich owns

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

evilweasel posted:

he has said that he's giving Trump the chance to review the question and decide to invoke executive privilege, so now he's thrown Trump under the bus who now must assert it or not
if he's right that it's always the president who decides whether to invoke executive privilege, then he's not exactly throwing anybody under the bus.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

evilweasel posted:

This assumes Trump won't just ignore or brush off the testimony.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
this will be called The Heinrich Maneuver in the histories of Watergate: Speed Run Edition

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
Heinrich, gently caress yeah.

Oracle posted:

He sounds whiny, wheedling, nasally, high-pitched, lisping and petulant. He's trying for outrage but it sounds rehearsed and he stumbles over his words when he tries to emphasize them. His stiff hand motions don't help either. He needs some voice coaching, because it would have been a lot more impactful otherwise.
Those who have followed Wyden for a while know that he's a man of substance and a Good Senator who doesn't put up with bullshit. It's a gigantic problem when not putting up with bullshit non-answers in a hearing is considered "petulant."

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

His intelligence and competency.
See I agree with this.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!

Tzen posted:

Heinrich owns

Empty quote this.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I don't understand what this means but hell yeah!

The job of everyone dodging these questions has been to dodge them (a) without invoking executive privilege (because only Trump can) and (b) without making Trump have to answer that question. The Trump Administration wants to not answer the question, but not invoke the privilege. They want their underlings to take the heat. Sessions instead lobbed that grenade that he's supposed to be jumping on himself at Trump. Trump has to now invoke privilege or tell Sessions to answer the drat question, while with the three intelligence officials who stonewalled the Administration doesn't have to do anything at all.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Is Burr hinting that he's happy with the admiral's closed-committee answers, or is it typical to state things for the record like that?

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

what was burr clarifying with regard to heinrich?

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
:lol: Bringing up the closed hearing, sounds like a bit of a threat

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Tzen posted:

Heinrich owns

Yeah he needs to develop a more prominent national profile.

because he's also pretty dreamy and let's be honest that helps

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
blunt burning time jerking off sessions great american values

lol

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.

Spiritus Nox posted:

Heinrich is alright

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

ya'll need to stop making GBS threads on mint juleps

mint juleps are cool and good

coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

You're finished, pork-o-nazi!
"It's lovely to see your family here as we discuss your perjury and collaboration with a foreign power"

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

gently caress OFF BLUNT

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

sessions has been really bad at taking the softball questions

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

ReidRansom posted:

Yeah he needs to develop a more prominent national profile.

because he's also pretty dreamy and let's be honest that helps

Hey, he's already made The Hill's 50 Most Beautiful List multiple times.

Which is apparently a thing.

http://thehill.com/50-most-beautiful/2015/249315-sen-martin-heinrich

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

FizFashizzle posted:

Who has time to muddle poo poo, I need my alcohol now when dealing with Jefferson Beauregard Sessions III.

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice

evilweasel posted:

The job of everyone dodging these questions has been to dodge them (a) without invoking executive privilege (because only Trump can) and (b) without making Trump have to answer that question. The Trump Administration wants to not answer the question, but not invoke the privilege. They want their underlings to take the heat. Sessions instead lobbed that grenade that he's supposed to be jumping on himself at Trump. Trump has to now invoke privilege or tell Sessions to answer the drat question, while with the three intelligence officials who stonewalled the Administration doesn't have to do anything at all.

What's the downside for the administration of Trump invoking executive privilege?

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
Sessions couldve handled Heinrich's question better if he hadnt already forgotten his own "I didn't recuse because of Russia" bullshit

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Do you recall anything important in your duty as Attorney General?
No

Could you talk at length about some ambassador you met who knew something about Alabama maybe?
Why yes, it was 9:34PM and the wind was drifting south-southwest...

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Coca Koala posted:

What's the downside for the administration of Trump invoking executive privilege?

a long history of it getting interpreted by the public about the same as pleading the 5th, getting lots of headlines about how the White House refuses to turn over documents based on some fake-sounding bullshit

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
This doesn't sound like it's going to good for Sessions.

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

beejay posted:

Sessions has not and will not provide anything of substance here.
That in itself seems telling. Not that it is, but his refusal to say things clearly is going to look bad for him.

FizFashizzle posted:

They'll lead you into having sex in a port-a-john with a married woman in a huge hat, according to the book How to Archer. Not necessarily bad.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
"I don't remember what he said, but I definitely remember saying things he says I never said"

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Angus King is diving right in.

Boot and Rally
Apr 21, 2006

8===D
Nap Ghost
King, pronounced "kaang", going for the jugular.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

lol "president hasnt asserted it yet, so why are you using it as a defence?"

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
king is going to beat the poo poo out of him over not answering, like he did with coates, rosenstein and rogers

and its not going to make sessions talk ugh

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Right to the chase

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Like I am pretty sure Sessions only agreed to do this because he is confident someone had something to do with Russia and he wants no part of it.

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos
Oh boy. King going for it.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
I'm protecting his right to apply executive privilege, but I'm not asserting it

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

King reading my mind also.

THAT ISN'T A THING YOU DEMENTED ELF

Rotacixe
Oct 21, 2008
"I can't answer that question ever because the president might at any time want to assert executive privileges"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

i'd vote for a ticket with angus king and martin heinrich on it

• Locked thread