Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
it's true -- i define 'nuance' as the ability to hold two contradictory ideas in my head at the same time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serf
May 5, 2011

Concerned Citizen posted:

Yeah it's called nuance.

democrats.txt

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

details are for the weak

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

it's true -- i define 'nuance' as the ability to hold two contradictory ideas in my head at the same time.

Nothing contradictory there.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
hey, i'm concerned citizen and let me tell you how you can find nuance in literally everything, starting with the holoca

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

hey, i'm concerned citizen and let me tell you how you can find nuance in literally everything, starting with the holoca

well that didn't take long

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
hey everybody, concerned citizen here -- i think you'll find that all lives matter, and that if they had simply followed police instructions they might still b ealive today

Serf
May 5, 2011

it is kinda amazing that a concern troll with the word concern literally in their name has so much success lol

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
hey everybody, concerned citizen here. ferretball was my old alt account.

(those of you in the know will already guess where i'm going with this bit. --ghf)

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
*to the tune of "The Simpsons" theme song*

the suuuuck zooooooone

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Serf posted:

it is kinda amazing that a concern troll with the word concern literally in their name has so much success lol

it doesn't take much to troll the suk zone

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

We all fundamentally share a distrust of the free market and want very significant increases in government intervention at the expense of the rich. If you want to classify me as the enemy, that's fine. I don't really mind, but I don't think I am. I personally have no problem at all with the left.

theres a difference between distrust of the free market and believing it will eventually grind humanity into dust and must be destroyed

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Joementum posted:

a classic, relevant again today

I like to hit the "JEFFERSON Beauregard Sessions" since that's the more well known of the 2 slave owners he's named after.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Raskolnikov38 posted:

theres a difference between distrust of the free market and believing it will eventually grind humanity into dust and must be destroyed

Sure.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
RUSSIA!!!!!!!

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

the self-suck zone

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Relax guys.

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

I think I largely share the same values and goals with the left.

lol you not only voted for Hillary Clinton, but you worked on her campaign

son, i hate to break it to you, but you're a centrist

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

NewForumSoftware posted:

lol you not only voted for Hillary Clinton, but you worked on her campaign

son, i hate to break it to you, but you're a centrist

ok

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

get ready for the bad dems do trash this

https://twitter.com/nytopinion/status/874721160600137728

lmao all but one of the replies is about how he isn't a dem

Zhulik
Nov 14, 2012

The Montreal Star
[Foxworthyshly] If you think "loading the dishwasher" means getting your prison labor drunk... You might be a centrist.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

I mean, I think single payer is great. If we could pass it tomorrow I'd be over the moon. I just think other countries have implemented alternate paths to true UHC and I'm not going to dismiss those as neoliberal plots, especially if they might be easier to achieve in a political sense. I think $15/h minimum wage is great but it's too low for some areas and - having grown up in one of the most impoverished areas of the country - I worry it might have negative effects in parts of the country that have median wages lower than that. I think free college tuition is great and we should absolutely do it, but I also think our college system inherently disadvantages the poor and we should look at overhauling the whole thing to fast track people who want to be fast tracked directly into skilled labor careers. In general, I think I'm to the left of Clinton but not I'm not strictly with the left of the party. I think I largely share the same values and goals with the left.

do you think that single-payer should be defeated if it doesn't overturn the 41-year-old hyde amendment?

bc that's my current litmus test for "concerned citizens" such as yourself to see how "over the moon" they'd really be about single-payer.

eta: as far as "alternative paths" to single-payer: You do know that those countries tightly regulate the cost of insurance as well as provider costs, right? Just as our Medicare single-payer program does here.

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
Bernie: Ya party freakin' blows
Dem: You're not even in it!
Bernie: Aduhhh!

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Don’t Like Betsy DeVos? Blame the Democrats.

Excellent, short summary from Diane Ravitch in the New Republic of Democratic failures on education policy. (She's reliably essential reading -- her work in the New York Review of Books is invariably top-notch.)

Plus a good shout-out to my main dude at the end:

"Diane Ravitch posted:

The agenda isn’t complicated. Fight privatization of all kinds. Insist on an evidence-based debate about charter schools and vouchers. Abandon the obsession with testing. Fight for equitable funding, with public money flowing to the neediest schools. Acknowledge the importance of well-educated, professional teachers in every classroom. Follow the example of Virginia Governor Terry McAuliffe, who vetoed a bill to expand charters in March. Or Montana Governor Steve Bullock, who insists that charters employ certified teachers, allow them to unionize, and fall under the control of local school districts. Democrats should take their cue from Bullock when he declares, “I continue to firmly believe that our public education system is the great equalizer.

:siren: :frogsiren: :siren: BULLOCK :siren: :frogsiren: :siren: BULLOCK :siren: :frogsiren: :siren: BULLOCK :siren: :frogsiren: :siren:

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
hey suck zone shut up for a second and watch this

http://i.imgur.com/Jq2LXzt.gifv

this skate board movie, it is called an oligarchy

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Willa Rogers posted:

do you think that single-payer should be defeated if it doesn't overturn the 41-year-old hyde amendment?

bc that's my current litmus test for "concerned citizens" such as yourself to see how "over the moon" they'd really be about single-payer.

of course not. not that the hyde amendment isn't immoral garbage that should be relegated to the trash can at the earliest opportunity.

quote:

eta: as far as "alternative paths" to single-payer: You do know that those countries tightly regulate the cost of insurance as well as provider costs, right? Just as our Medicare single-payer program does here.

yes.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

bad dems in 2009-2010: "Sure, the ACA doesn't cost-control insurance premiums or providers, but it's the first step toward single-payer."

bad dems in 2016-2017: "Sure, I'd love single-payer, but look at these other programs that control insurance and provider costs, just like single-payer does!"

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

Lastgirl posted:

a heelie kickflip

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

GalacticAcid posted:

A Needless Default, David Dayen's damning, lucid indictment of the Obama Administration's approach to foreclosures.

but kamala harris saved all those homeowners in CA! after a court decree forced her to

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
i'm glad i passed willa rogers' litmus test and now i'm a Good Dem

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Lastgirl posted:

:lol:

also that's a good flip for having done it in heels

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

not so fast.

Yeah it's called nuance.

what's the "nuance" between advocating for medicare-for-all instead of "alternative systems" that do the exact same thing?

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

i'm glad i passed willa rogers' litmus test and now i'm a Good Dem

be glad she only comes down from the mountain like once a month

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

get ready for the bad dems do trash this

https://twitter.com/nytopinion/status/874721160600137728

lmao all but one of the replies is about how he isn't a dem

Voters describe Bernie as being honest and trustworthy.

Words that describe don't the bad dem clique of failures like Pelosi, DWS and other corporate bootlickers.

etalian has issued a correction as of 22:21 on Jun 13, 2017

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment

Lastgirl posted:

Awesome moves, but they're cancelled out by the sticker.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Willa Rogers posted:

what's the "nuance" between advocating for medicare-for-all instead of "alternative systems" that do the exact same thing?

23 million uninsured.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Stexils posted:

a heelie kickflip

thats what i said, an oligarchy

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Willa Rogers posted:

bad dems in 2009-2010: "Sure, the ACA doesn't cost-control insurance premiums or providers, but it's the first step toward single-payer."

bad dems in 2016-2017: "Sure, I'd love single-payer, but look at these other programs that control insurance and provider costs, just like single-payer does!"

I mean we're getting nothing so I'm not sure why you're all huffy here.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Lastgirl posted:

radical centrism

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

tony warhawk's pro skater

• Locked thread