Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
This is like two old men in a barber shop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

LaserShark posted:

McCain's going over Sessions' head.

so did everyone else

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Flesh Forge posted:

When some reporting later contradicts him, yes exactly

Ah, I see Sessions graduated from Phoenix Wright Law School

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
I don't recall. I don't believe so.

Some strong statements from Keebler Klansman.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
"Very disturbing." Is Sessions reading off McCain's script?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Not much fuss being made about "Yes the Russians interfered with the election, no none of us have talked to Trump about that"

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Flesh Forge posted:

Huh, McCain actually asking some useful questions :confused:

well, he IS deeply concerned

fart barterer
Aug 24, 2006

David Byrne - Like Humans Do (Radio Edit).mp3
Did McCain just start to call Russia "USSR" while talking about insane conspiracy theories?

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

androo posted:

Did McCain just start to call Russia "USSR" while talking about insane conspiracy theories?
That's what I heard, too. "USS...Russia"

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm

scuz posted:

Sessions shoulda been an audio book narrator for confederate field manuals or uncle tom's cabin.

I know this is from several pages ago, but holy poo poo what kind of illiterate ahistorical motherfucker are you?

(edit: unless you mean some kind of full-cast radio play where he's Simon Legree or something.)

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
And that's the end of the hearing. Sessions just got away with re-defining the concept of executive privilege.

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.

androo posted:

"Do you think Trump's campaign colluded with Premier Brezhnev's government?" asked John McCain before speeding away in his Pontiac Fiero.

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

I missed he sessions hearing. Anything big come out of it?

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

SubponticatePoster posted:

That's what I heard, too. "USS...Russia"

It's a ship.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

ReidRansom posted:

well, he IS deeply concerned

To be fair he's about the only one on either side who questioned him very much about the nominal topic of the hearing :shrug:

And that's that, this five minute limit format sucks dick.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

fishing with the fam posted:

And that's the end of the hearing. Sessions just got away with re-defining the concept of executive privilege.

The President is the only person who can invoke executive privilege, and he hasn't, but I'm doing it anyway just in case he might (in the future) want to invoke EP on any of this.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Flesh Forge posted:

To be fair he's about the only one on either side who questioned him very much about the nominal topic of the hearing :shrug:

And that's that, this five minute limit format sucks dick.
That's why they do it.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

androo posted:

Imo McCain's questions were pretty good, and Sessions' answers were much less so :shrug:

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

Mister Mind posted:

I know this is from several pages ago, but holy poo poo what kind of illiterate ahistorical motherfucker are you?
One who can hopefully get over his ignorance. For instance I learned just now that I'd been under the false impression that UTC was a book that was pro-slavery, having never read it.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/npenzenstadler/status/874733291454291971

quote:

Since President Trump won the Republican nomination, the majority of his companies’ real estate sales are to secretive shell companies that obscure the buyers’ identities, a USA TODAY investigation has found.

Over the last 12 months, about 70% of buyers of Trump properties were limited liability companies – corporate entities that allow people to purchase property without revealing all of the owners’ names. That compares with about 4% of buyers in the two years before.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

I did enjoy McCain basically implying that Sessions sure seemed to care a lot more about Russia as part of the campaign than he ever did on the committee.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Deadulus posted:

I missed he sessions hearing. Anything big come out of it?

Sessions tried to imply that nobody has to ever testify about anything the President has ever said because the President may or may not try to claim executive privilege on it at some future date.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

sessions came across like a weasel

he wasn't as bad as gonzales but that was not good, and it ended with burr calling him on the executive privilege thing and asking the white house to decide if they are exercising it or not, which is precisely the thing they were trying to avoid

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Its pretty clear that the SOP of anyone working in the Administration is going to be to answer no questions by evoking the pretense of executive privilege without Trump ever actually using it so he can't be criticized for that.

So basically more of everyone crawling through the mud to protect their king.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

STAC Goat posted:

Its pretty clear that the SOP of anyone working in the Administration is going to be to answer no questions by evoking the pretense of executive privilege without Trump ever actually using it so he can't be criticized for that.

it was, but sessions hosed it up because he couldn't take the heat

by saying it was to give Trump the chance to assert the privilege, he now hosed it all up because now trump has to decide if he's using it or not

that was a loving disaster on his part, and it was entirely because he wasn't comfortable looking dumb

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

I know pride cometh before a fall but you'd think there'd be a single educated, affluent egomat in the administration with enough of a sense of dignity to start dishing dirt

evilweasel posted:

by saying it was to give Trump the chance to assert the privilege, he now hosed it all up because now trump has to decide if he's using it or not

that was a loving disaster on his part, and it was entirely because he wasn't comfortable looking dumb

It looks fuckin' awful but what's stopping Trump from simply not commenting?

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

evilweasel posted:

He is super lucky the chair stopped Kamala Harris since she was grilling him hard on that poo poo and he was floundering

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

quote:

In response to questions from Sen. Roy Blunt (R-MO), Sessions admitted that he may have had an “encounter” with Kislyak, but not a “formal meeting.”

does that sound weirdly sexual to anyone else

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Not a Children posted:

I know pride cometh before a fall but you'd think there'd be a single educated, affluent egomat in the administration with enough of a sense of dignity to start dishing dirt

It IS the leakiest Administration ever.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

evilweasel posted:

he wasn't as bad as gonzales but that was not good, and it ended with burr calling him on the executive privilege thing and asking the white house to decide if they are exercising it or not, which is precisely the thing they were trying to avoid

Especially compared to Comey's straightforward testimony from last week. You can't play "everyone is a rat during these" when a great counterexample was heavily watched last week

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

evilweasel posted:

I don't understand how this is an issue. Sessions will just refuse to show up for further congressional hearings (as is justifiable), so there's no need for the president to decide whether to invoke it. If their main goal was to get to the end of this hearing without invoking executive privilege, they've done that. How is this going to be a future problem for the administration?

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

The Glumslinger posted:

He is super lucky the chair stopped Kamala Harris since she was grilling him hard on that poo poo and he was floundering

Judging by that grin he's also stupid enough to think he was saved by the bell

I'm curious who was frantically yelling for the chair when he realized what she was doing

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Mulva posted:

Sessions tried to imply that nobody has to ever testify about anything the President has ever said because the President may or may not try to claim executive privilege on it at some future date.

That was loving maddening. "The president has not invoked executive privilege, and I can't invoke it for him, but I don't want to talk about my conversations with him just in case he decides to invoke the privilege in the future."

I can understand if you talked this morning or yesterday and someone wants to know what you talked about, it may be fine to say "I need to check with the president before I answer that". Those conversations took place months ago, so gently caress you. If Trump has not invoked executive privilege and told you not to talk about those conversations, then you have to answer the drat question.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

@darth rules.

https://twitter.com/darth/status/874737139925172224

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

The Glumslinger posted:

What's odd to me is I'm pretty sure it was vice-chair Warner who first cut Harris off. That guy's a Democrat, what was up with that, jesus.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

evilweasel posted:

It's only weird if you make eye contact.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

evilweasel posted:

Who among us HASN'T banged the tub of lard and vodka acting as Russian spymaster?

Bhaal
Jul 13, 2001
I ain't going down alone
Dr. Infant, MD

STAC Goat posted:

I really wish one of them would have pushed it as "you aren't answering my question and this is heading towards contempt of congress".

Several of them laid out the different categories he could invoke for not answering: taking the 5th, classified information, attny/client privilege (maybe?), and executive privilege. They made it clear his refusal wasn't under any of those categories but then just sort of let it happen anyway.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

barack obama told the senate today that the AHCA was "mean, mean, mean" and the senate needed to be "more generous" and "more kind"

wait, wrong president

https://twitter.com/sahilkapur/status/874726270566846465

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

evilweasel posted:

I hear you but is there actually any process that stops the White House from just ignoring it? Like, Spicer will get asked about it but he'll deflect and then what? The next guy, whether its Kushner or Lewandowski or whoever will just pull the same act, no? Burr and Warner can do a couple of press conferences but what power do they have to actually change anything here?

That's not me saying "nothing matters" or anything because the real stuff is in the Mueller investigation, but it seems clear that none of the Trump Administration is going to show up at one of these public hearings and give anything to people.

And of course its Trump so at any given time he might just scream "Executive Privilege!" or something.

• Locked thread