Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Bhaal posted:

I really wish one of them would have pushed it as "you aren't answering my question and this is heading towards contempt of congress".

Several of them laid out the different categories he could invoke for not answering: taking the 5th, classified information, attny/client privilege (maybe?), and executive privilege. They made it clear his refusal wasn't under any of those categories but then just sort of let it happen anyway.

I feel like that is where Kamala Harris was going before she was cutoff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Not a Children posted:

It looks fuckin' awful but what's stopping Trump from simply not commenting?

Probably Trump himself.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

evilweasel posted:

barack obama told the senate today that the AHCA was "mean, mean, mean" and the senate needed to be "more generous" and "more kind"

wait, wrong president

https://twitter.com/sahilkapur/status/874726270566846465
pretty sure he's actively trying to get impeached. guy just doesn't want the job anymore.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Vegetable posted:

I don't understand how this is an issue. Sessions will just refuse to show up for further congressional hearings (as is justifiable), so there's no need for the president to decide whether to invoke it. If their main goal was to get to the end of this hearing without invoking executive privilege, they've done that. How is this going to be a future problem for the administration?

Senator Burr, a Republican, specifically asked the White House to answer the questions. Left unsaid, but very obvious, was "or assert the privilege". And now Trump and Spicer will be repeatedly grilled on it until Trump says no, of course I'm not doing that because it seemed like the correct thing to say at the time.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

evilweasel posted:

does that sound weirdly sexual to anyone else
Next congressional hearing involves measuring stances.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

evilweasel posted:

barack obama told the senate today that the AHCA was "mean, mean, mean" and the senate needed to be "more generous" and "more kind"

wait, wrong president

"What do you mean I'm becoming less popular becuase of this loving bill in congress? Tell them to fix it ... No I still want all of the tax cuts"

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

evilweasel posted:

wait, wrong president

:psyduck:

Well as long as the forces of good can keep his attention with shiny objects and praise, I'm not gonna complain!

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

The Glumslinger posted:

"What do you mean I'm becoming less popular becuase of this loving bill in congress? Tell them to fix it ... No I still want all of the tax cuts"

Just re-release Obamacare, rename it Trumpcare, and add tax cuts.

vvWith exceptions.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Yes but none of his investors are Russians, as his lawyers clearly stated.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

i am really looking forward to the ads in 2018 that say "even President Trump said [republican congressman] who voted to take away your healthcare was "mean, mean, mean" "

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Phil Moscowitz posted:

every one of those LLCs was incorporated in delaware!

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

The most hilarious timeline would be the one where the Senate passes a somewhat less-evil bill, the house reluctantly swallows it, and as the country is freaking out and people explain to Trump whats in the bill, he goes "what the gently caress is this, thats not what I promised" and he vetoes it. Basically strong-arming the GOP into walking out on a limb and then cutting it off.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Phil Moscowitz posted:

With a few exceptions.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

lol at trump coming off as enormous dumb baby even when he's right.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

I don't know why, but that article really laser-focused that Trump is just a doddering old grandpa. I mean I knew that, academically speaking, but seeing him describe a piece of legislature as "mean" because he no longer has the vocabulary or stamina to provide a more critical analysis really hammers it home. If it were revealed that he kept Ryan and McConnell's loyalty through a steady supply of strawberry hard candies, it would make all the sense in the world.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

evilweasel posted:

Senator Burr, a Republican, specifically asked the White House to answer the questions. Left unsaid, but very obvious, was "or assert the privilege". And now Trump and Spicer will be repeatedly grilled on it until Trump says no, of course I'm not doing that because it seemed like the correct thing to say at the time.
Or as the other guy said, Spicer's just going to deflect. He has no obligation to answer questions about this in press conferences.

This matter of executive privilege is only relevant in congressional hearings where there's an obligation to answer questions. Trump folks will simply not attend the hearings anymore. This is a non-issue for the administration.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
If these hearings continue they're going to have to replace alot of chairs due to being exposed to epic flop-sweat.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

STAC Goat posted:

With a few exceptions.

evilweasel posted:

every one of those LLCs was incorporated in delaware!

The real issue:

quote:

The method is more common among the wealthy or famous in the buying of multimillion-dollar properties. For instance, President Obama and his wife are behind Homefront Holdings LLC, a corporation registered in Delaware which in May purchased the family’s home in the Kalorama neighborhood of Washington D.C. for $8.1 million, according to district property records.

When will we start investigating the true criminals here??

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Phil Moscowitz posted:

They're all very interested Cayman Islanders, wanting a place to live when the Caymans get swallowed by global warming

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches
"It's mean" seems like the right kind of stupid to get healthcare back in the news again. Here's to hoping.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/Bencjacobs/status/874740140664647680

Yes, I'm sure these guys are totally on top of protecting us from Russian attacks

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The Glumslinger posted:

Yes, I'm sure these guys are totally on top of protecting us from Russian attacks

Hannity was pushing Maddow and MSNBC as conspiracy theorists for the Russia stuff last night so that definitely seems like the new approach we're going to hear a lot for awhile.

That should play weirdly with the Kelly/NBC/Alex Jones controversy.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Phil Moscowitz posted:

When will we start investigating the true criminals here??

What is wrong with buying property with an LLC?

I didn't do that because I don't have a lot of assets and my 401k can't be touched, but if I had real money, I'd get everything that could generate personal liability out of my name and into an LLC.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

This isn't necessarily all below board. Some could just be normal legitimate stuff where the parties don't want the stink of dealing with the Trumps to rub off on their actually completely legitimate business. The rest is same but with lots of airquotes

But yeah that all looks shady as gently caress.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

The Glumslinger posted:

Christ, did Betsy DeVos write it? The grammar.

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Chilichimp posted:

I said Ivanka Trump is stunning the other day
With that much plastic surgery she drat well better be attractive.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Rigel posted:

I didn't do that because I don't have a lot of assets and my 401k can't be touched, but if I had real money, I'd get everything that could generate personal liability out of my name and into an LLC.
There isn't. The article's point is that the number of people who bought Trump properties under LLCs shot up by 60 percentage points after the election. It suggests those buyers now comprise of a very different group of people, at least.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

HopperUK posted:

I like the RANDOM capitalization of WORDS.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Duke Igthorn posted:

for the record, she's not at all, but it's totally irrelevant to anything (except to the extent that her supposed attractiveness gets her more leeway in being evil than might otherwise be expected)

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Rigel posted:

it's used to launder money into the US a lot, especially in Manhattan real estate

Petr
Oct 3, 2000
So, did they have to call him out on the Schrodinger's Executive Privilege during the hearing, or can they hold him in contempt after the fact?

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
"It's too mean" holy balls :psypop:

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Petr posted:

So, did they have to call him out on the Schrodinger's Executive Privilege during the hearing, or can they hold him in contempt after the fact?

He's not getting held in contempt. He's a Republican.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Google "Scottie Nell Hughes" and :lol:

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Duke Igthorn posted:

More plastic surgery does not equal more attractive. Usually the opposite, in fact.

Not that it matters, she's a bad person, regardless of her appearance.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Please snipe at each other more.

https://twitter.com/FoxReports/status/874740147836911616

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

HopperUK posted:

It's how you know it came directly from the Predisent.

Petr
Oct 3, 2000

Jaxyon posted:

He's not getting held in contempt. He's a Republican.

I already know that Most Things Don't Matter, but theoretically.

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice

Fart City posted:

I don't know why, but that article really laser-focused that Trump is just a doddering old grandpa. I mean I knew that, academically speaking, but seeing him describe a piece of legislature as "mean" because he no longer has the vocabulary or stamina to provide a more critical analysis really hammers it home.

Saying that it is "mean" and then following that up with "it needs to be more generous" makes me think that he's using "mean" as a synonym for stingy, which is absolutely a thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
"This healthcare bill is mean and written by stupid dumbheads. We need something gooder that will heal people's owies."

• Locked thread