Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

DX's latest mock has Kings getting Tatum and Frank. I guess I couldn't be mad at that but it would feel a bit :smith: after thinking of Jackson or Ball falling or Vlade taking a chance on future dunk machine DSJ. But getting both a SF and PG with our firsts is a best case scenario for us

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
I wish I knew whether he was mocking Kennard to Charlotte because of intel or just because he's rising/he's the "Hornets" pick in the draft.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Tj leaf to okc makes no sense unless kanter is traded

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

morestuff posted:

I wish I knew whether he was mocking Kennard to Charlotte because of intel or just because he's rising/he's the "Hornets" pick in the draft.

To be fair he is extremely Hornetsy.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

MourningView posted:

To be fair he is extremely Hornetsy.

Granted.

I won't be crushed if they take him (unless it's over a non-Zach Collins top-10 guy that falls), but ugh

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

morestuff posted:

The college people loving love Kennard and NBA people are lukewarm, which is usually a bad sign. My vision of Luke Kennard is a smaller Joe Ingles with better passing and much better ball handling. The size might hurt his ability to make shots, his handle is good and he can score from all three levels against college players, I don't think he'll be Steve the Sleeved out of the NBA. He's going to have to learn to play JJ Red-dick defense. There is a very strong possibility that he will be an NBA role player for a decent length of time. I think that even if he's an offense only bench player he'll probably be good enough to stick around.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Declan MacManus posted:

Sixers might be better served taking Tatum or Monk at 3 and then trying to trade back into the first if Frank falls

I really do not want Tatum. He screams nu-Rudy Gay to me

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Dejan Bimble posted:

The college people loving love Kennard and NBA people are lukewarm, which is usually a bad sign. My vision of Luke Kennard is a smaller Joe Ingles with better passing and much better ball handling. The size might hurt his ability to make shots, his handle is good and he can score from all three levels against college players, I don't think he'll be Steve the Sleeved out of the NBA. He's going to have to learn to play JJ Red-dick defense. There is a very strong possibility that he will be an NBA role player for a decent length of time. I think that even if he's an offense only bench player he'll probably be good enough to stick around.

I've basically come around to this. I was much more jazzed for Donovan Mitchell but even with his wingspan I don't know if he'll be able to check small forwards regularly. Mitchell looks like a high-floor, low-ceiling guy and Kennard could at least in theory be a really useful offensive player

Redick is the laziest possible comparison between the melanin, school and always forgetting whether his last name has double consonants but I think it's pretty clearly Kennard's best outcome in the league

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Why take Tatum when you can just sign Rudy gay!

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne

Metapod posted:

Tj leaf to okc makes no sense unless kanter is traded

I don't know that Kanter is tradeable, but his main value right now is playing power forward alongside Adams in the twin towers lineup, which is increasingly less valuable as teams match up with speedy stretch bigs to play him off the court. His other value is in racking up empty calorie buckets/rebounds for OKC's terrible second unit. His inability to pass out of a double or make a play for a teammate was a significant factor in the Thunder's inability to hang with Russ off the court. As I see it, the bench needs to be remade with two complementary goals in mind: 1.) add playmaking that will increase the value of Abrines and McDermott's shooting, and 2). move away from Kanter's postups, which teams defended pretty easily with hard double teams after the ASB last season. For all the talk of the Thunder's lack of shooting (dead last in 3pt%), it seems to me that the larger problem is that they desperately need players who can execute the offense and create looks for their shooters. Abrines, McDermott, Oladipo, Grant, and Sabonis are all catch and shoot players.

With that in mind, OKC has been working out a number of mid-1st round bigs and 2nd round wings. With Gibson likely departing, I wouldn't be surprised to see them use #21 on a big who complements Grant, Sabonis, and Adams, whether Kanter is traded or not. It basically looks like there will be a ton of skilled bigs available @ 21, and a few playmakers (Frank Jackson, Jawun Evans), who are more flawed, fringe first round guys. They need to address the total dearth of playmaking outside of Westbrook, but over-drafting Jawun Evans is kind of an inefficient use of their very limited resources.

TJ Leaf would be a BPA move at 21, and I'm fine with it given that he overlaps very little with any of the other bigs. Giles is also interesting there, but I suspect someone grabs him in the lottery. All the talk of Kennard seems overblown unless you're 100% certain he can shoot as well as Abrines and play better defense over the course of his rookie deal. I just don't see an effective way to use #21 to solve the bench's playmaking problem. That'll probably need to be a separate deal/pick/trade/use of a salary exception.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

https://twitter.com/Liberty_Ballers/status/874702973972217856

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I hope it's true although a lot of the reporting around this is a bit off so I'm trying not to get my hopes up. Like the idea that the Lakers saw him at a workout in Sacramento and didn't do all their usual tests and everything, but gave him a draft promise, but then asked him to do another workout doesn't really add up, although then again part of that is that I'm used to how the old front office did things and this one may do it altogether different.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

I'm assuming Taj will stay making it hard for a rookie to crack the rotation

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
There are people who strongly assert that TJ Leaf is the reason for UCLA's success instead of Ball. I wouldn't go that far, but Leaf did a lot of yeoman's work in that offense to help it along. He probably would be drafted higher in past seasons where shooting wasn't such an emphasis for bigs because he can't even put together an Edited Gym Highlight Reel of him hitting threes like Collins did.21 Seems about right to me, or a little higher since I'm fine with drafting for need after 15.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Rick posted:

There are people who strongly assert that TJ Leaf is the reason for UCLA's success instead of Ball. I wouldn't go that far, but Leaf did a lot of yeoman's work in that offense to help it along. He probably would be drafted higher in past seasons where shooting wasn't such an emphasis for bigs because he can't even put together an Edited Gym Highlight Reel of him hitting threes like Collins did.21 Seems about right to me, or a little higher since I'm fine with drafting for need after 15.

TJ Leaf is a player I have my sights on for the Pacers.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

https://twitter.com/PompeyOnSixers/status/874741585736605696

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
Any clue who the Warriors are excited enough about to buy a 2nd round pick? And which team is likely to sell?

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Not exactly a rumor, as much as a fact

https://twitter.com/Lakers/status/874759436094513152

The Glumslinger fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Jun 13, 2017

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

BetterLekNextTime posted:

Any clue who the Warriors are excited enough about to buy a 2nd round pick? And which team is likely to sell?

No idea who'd they'd target; maybe someone like Jordan Bell if Zaza and Javale leave, but they'd probably have to buy an early pick for him.

The Sixers and Celtics do have a combined 7 seconds.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Redgrendel2001 posted:

No idea who'd they'd target; maybe someone like Jordan Bell if Zaza and Javale leave, but they'd probably have to buy an early pick for him.

The Sixers and Celtics do have a combined 7 seconds.

I'd imagine the Cavs buy an early 2nd rounder too.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I feel like the Knicks are linked to every PG available instead of something useful like a new owner

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
The players I liked in the 50s mostly ended up going back to school or have went up boards.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Did Frank Mason climb up boards?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I've heard him in the 30s.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
My dad continues to stump for him and wants the Grizz to draft him real bad. I told dad that we don't have any picks...for two years

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

The Nuggets said Mason had the best interview they've ever conducted.

edit: but 5'11 will always be 5'11. I'm 5'11. It's a plight. Soooo close

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Mason wasn't anything special at all before his senior year

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

https://twitter.com/Liberty_Ballers/status/874804732677828608

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
The Lonzo situation is weird because Mike Trudell on his radio show today angry about the people who said Lonzo was out of shape or unimpressive in workouts. But he also is employed directly by the Lakers as their social media guy, so I don't know if that's damage control, or if it was the actual case. But also he has been one of Lonzo's biggest proponents and is partly to blame for the hype around him since he's been pushing the guy for a year straight.

I hate how incestuous everything is with the Lakers and the media right now, I miss them being above that.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Adjust draft order accordingly

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
amazing

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Lockback posted:

Adjust draft order accordingly

I'm glad you quoted this because I missed it initially and :lol::lol::lol:

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I imagine that's the closest Lonzo's gonna get to full Kuuenbu.

Still amazing tho

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
That video is unbelievable.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Chad Ford's Tiers column is always my favorite pre-draft thing. Based off polls with GMs and other front office folks. For those without Insider:

Tier 1 (Potential superstars)

Lonzo Ball, PG, UCLA
Markelle Fultz, PG, Washington

Tier 2 (All-Star potential)

De'Aaron Fox, PG, Fr., Kentucky
Jonathan Isaac, F, Fr., Florida State
Josh Jackson, G/F, Fr., Kansas
Lauri Markkanen, PF, Fr., Arizona
Malik Monk, G, Fr., Kentucky
Frank Ntilikina, PG, France
Dennis Smith, PG, Fr., North Carolina State
Jayson Tatum, F, Fr., Duke

Tier 3 (NBA starters)

OG Anunoby, F, So., Indiana
Zach Collins, F/C, Fr., Gonzaga
Harry Giles, PF, Fr., Duke
Luke Kennard, G, So., Duke
Donovan Mitchell, G, So., Louisville

Tier 4 (Starters, high-level rotation players)

Jarrett Allen, C, Fr., Texas
Ike Anigbogu, C, Fr., UCLA
John Collins, PF, So., Wake Forest
Justin Patton, C, Fr., Creighton

Tier 5 (Rotation players)

Edrice Adebayo, PF, Fr., Kentucky
Tony Bradley, C, Fr., North Carolina
Terrance Ferguson, SG, Australia
Frank Jackson, G, Fr., Duke
Justin Jackson, SF, Jr., North Carolina
TJ Leaf, PF, Fr., UCLA
Anzejs Pasecniks, C, Latvia
Ivan Rabb, PF, So., Cal
Caleb Swanigan, PF, So., Purdue
D.J. Wilson, PF, Jr., Michigan

Tier 6 (potential first-rounders)

Jordan Bell, PF, Jr., Oregon
Jonah Bolden, SF, Australia
Thomas Bryant, F/C, So. Indiana
Jawun Evans, PG, So., Oklahoma State
Josh Hart, SG, Sr., Villanova
Isaiah Hartenstein, PF, Germany
Tyler Lydon, SF, So., Syracuse
Semi Ojeleye, F, Jr., SMU
Alec Peters, F, Sr., Valpariso
Monte Morris, PG, Sr., Iowa State
Devin Robinson, SF, Jr., Florida
Derrick White, PG, Jr., Colorao

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Can someone explain the appeal of Harry Giles to me? I get that he was highly regarded coming out of high school, but you think his college production combined with his knee history would be a major red flag. He didn't exactly have a sterling combine, either.

He feels like he should be toward the bottom of the mid-first-round pack of centers with defensive potential/questionable offense, but obviously there's something scouts are into that isn't readily apparent. What gives?

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

xbilkis posted:

Can someone explain the appeal of Harry Giles to me? I get that he was highly regarded coming out of high school, but you think his college production combined with his knee history would be a major red flag. He didn't exactly have a sterling combine, either.

He feels like he should be toward the bottom of the mid-first-round pack of centers with defensive potential/questionable offense, but obviously there's something scouts are into that isn't readily apparent. What gives?

He's been mid to late first in every mock that I've seen. He's moved up a little in the past few weeks, but nothing substantial.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

xbilkis posted:

If he'd been able to come out of high school he'd have been a contender for the top pick in the draft. There's not much more to it than that. It's a swing for the fences and hope that he can get healthy and give you a star talent at a spot in the draft where you don't typically get those

Ghetto SuperCzar
Feb 20, 2005

xbilkis posted:

Well, you can (not that it is right) explain his college numbers like this: He had no training camp, hadn't played ball in a year(rusty), gets dropped into playing in the middle of the season and puts up small but really efficient numbers.

I also think guys with injury flags ALWAYS drop the day of the draft. They get talked up prior (maybe agents hoping other teams will take them earlier so they don't have to gamble?) but almost always drop 5-10 spots on draft day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

MourningView posted:

If he'd been able to come out of high school he'd have been a contender for the top pick in the draft. There's not much more to it than that. It's a swing for the fences and hope that he can get healthy and give you a star talent at a spot in the draft where you don't typically get those

He was called Kevin Garnett I r Chris Webber before his injuries. It's a gamble that he's not Greg oden or Jonathan bender or something such

• Locked thread