Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

I wish I never played those games. Although Skyrim consumed enough of me on ps3, might have been a problem in VR.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.
Have they said Skyrim is going to be a PSVR exclusive, or was that just where they decided to announce it?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

TheRagamuffin posted:

Have they said Skyrim is going to be a PSVR exclusive, or was that just where they decided to announce it?

They haven't said. Which probably means it isn't exclusive.

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.

veni veni veni posted:

They haven't said. Which probably means it isn't exclusive.

That was my thought.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
You better cast the shouts by actually shouting

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

TheRagamuffin posted:

I'm real curious how VATS is gonna work in VR.....

My guess is it's probably just going to be a 'slow down time' button that highlights what you're aiming at and requires AP to shoot, but with the usual chance for your shots to miss based on stats.

I'm more curious as to how lockpicking and hacking are going to work, assuming they don't cheap out and just put the old minigames on a floating screen in front of your face.

Icedude fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Jun 13, 2017

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The E3 thread taught me a lot of people really hate VR and now I'm sad.

Shemp the Stooge
Feb 23, 2001

Taintrunner posted:

It's everywhere. Every time I see anything VR related all the comments are, "gently caress VR". I don't think many of the people that hate VR have it and don't like it.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

People are super VR hostile right now for some reason, you just gotta bite your tongue and wait until they actually try VR instead of just talking poo poo about it and changing their mind. In a couple of years everyone will own a VR headset by way of their phone, anyway.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

They will be assimilated. And never acknowledge that they were ever against it.

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

They can't afford it and it's to expensive got their parents to buy it. So they are angry people get good games on it, instead of new games for their TV. Feast upon the tears, let them fuel your VR experiences.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
It's new and expensive and admittedly the games out for it aren't generally real, full games. Most people also haven't tried it and trailers and gameplay videos tend to look boring as gently caress.

It'll be a slow burn.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Phuzun posted:

They can't afford it and it's to expensive got their parents to buy it. So they are angry people get good games on it, instead of new games for their TV. Feast upon the tears, let them fuel your VR experiences.
Nah I'm not that cynical, I think people just haven't tried it and can't imagine it, and are just skeptical that its the new tech moneygrab like a nextgen 3DTV.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

I'm so hyped for Echo Arena thats the poo poo I want

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Fooz posted:

I'm so hyped for Echo Arena thats the poo poo I want

Hell yeah

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

homeless snail posted:

Nah I'm not that cynical, I think people just haven't tried it and can't imagine it, and are just skeptical that its the new tech moneygrab like a nextgen 3DTV.

Yeah. VRs biggest hurdle is that the games look like poo poo unless you are actually wearing a headset. Then on top of that it's pricey and people like to feel validated that they haven't bought one.

I think it's dumb that so many people like to poo poo on something they haven't even tried though. I think anyone who has even tried it for a notable amount of time knows it isn't just a fad unless the inaccessibility kills it before it can take off, in which case it will just be the next generation of headsets that takes off.

Ludicrous Gibs!
Jan 21, 2002

I'm not lost, but I don't know where I am.
Ramrod XTreme

Taintrunner posted:

Last I looked at that thread it seemed like more than half the replies were shitposts, so I don't know how much significance I'd give that. I don't think SA's userbase of bitter middle-aged nerds is terribly representative of the general gaming public, anyway.

VR is in a vulnerable position right now - few people have tried it, what's out is expensive, and the failure of last gen's motion controls have cast a long shadow over any new tech that claims it'll "change how you play games". E3 sounds like it's been pretty drat underwhelming so far, so I imagine a lot of posters are expressing their disappointment by taking potshots at an easy target.

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

VR is cool but lol at the idea that in a couple years everyone is going to have it. VR as it exists now will never be mainstream, it's just a stopgap until we can do VR-like stuff without needing to wear a goofy headset.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

IDK what that is though, you're not gonna plug your loving brain into a computer any time soon, and there are already sunglasses sized micro HMDs but the FOV is gonna suck on them until someone comes up with a big breakthrough in optics.

Meanwhile more and more phones are supporting Daydream and Apple will eventually release some kind of VR thing so it kinda seems inevitable that most people are gonna end up with a VR capable phone in their pocket within the next couple of years

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

That is a peckin' lot of bird...
:kazooieass::kazooieass::kazooieass:

If I'm not able to play Mossflower VR on my PC am going to cry. Those books were a huge part of my childhood but I'm not planning on buying a PS4 & PSVR when my pc and Vive are still kicking.

Edit:  Sony will be the company who can offer a complete kit to a customer, including the game station and the VR set, for under $1k. As such it will be the main force driving the VR industry for the next couple of years, probably until the next generation of PC headsets. If VR is going to take off in the mainstream market and attract big devs, we need to cheer them on hard.

Alpha Phoenix fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Jun 13, 2017

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Eyud posted:

VR is cool but lol at the idea that in a couple years everyone is going to have it. VR as it exists now will never be mainstream, it's just a stopgap until we can do VR-like stuff without needing to wear a goofy headset.

It'll always need a headset, just a lighter and slimmer one.

This is the fat iphone 1 with the clicky circle. In a few years, everybody will have iphone minis and nanos.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:

Zsinjeh posted:

Y'all did this wrong if you didn't instantly stop playing Fallout 4 Skyrim and didn't buy any DLC as soon as you heard the VR version was in development. kind of got bored by it but always meant to someday get back into it
:toot:

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Lemming posted:

You better cast the shouts by actually shouting
This is certainly possible. Even with third party voice software already. But it'd be so awesome to be in the base game.

InevitableCheese
Jul 10, 2015

quite a pickle you've got there

Phuzun posted:

They can't afford it and it's too expensive to get their parents to buy it.

Exioce
Sep 7, 2003

by VideoGames
I bought a Samsung Galaxy S2 as my first smartphone. That lasted me all the way up to the the S7, which will realistically last me even longer. I view VR the same way. Gen 2 is where to jump in.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

My new favorite dumbshit r eddit comment, in response to the intel-sponsored Oculus 'esports league.

"Vive users aren't allowed in this league? That sounds like segregated baseball. Jackie Robinson broke the color line in 1947. How long before a Vive user is allowed to play?

And this does have to do with literal skin color, not just console wars:

Due to country availability and incidental cultural reasons around branding and marketing, non-caucasian VR owners are disproportionately more likely to own the Vive than the Rift (see sales differences in predominantly Asian countries for reference).

I think we can all agree that people shouldn't be held back from competitive endeavor due to their skin color, ethnic background, or anything of the sort."

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Alpha Phoenix posted:

If I'm not able to play Mossflower VR on my PC am going to cry. Those books were a huge part of my childhood but I'm not planning on buying a PS4 & PSVR when my pc and Vive are still kicking.

I also fondly remember those books but I'm 95% sure that game is not actually using the Brian Jacques license, it just starts out looking a whole lot like it does.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:
Do we know if Bethesda is letting people play VR demos at e3? Or are the 90 second sizzle reel trailers all we get? I'm primarily interested to see how they handle locomotion.

KodiakRS fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Jun 13, 2017

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

KodiakRS posted:

Do we know if Bethesda is letting people play VR demos at e3? Or are the 90 second sizzle reel trailers all we get? I'm primarily interested to see how they handle locomotion.
I'm 99% sure they said they were doing playable demos. Since the games are supposedly coming out this year it'd be insane if they didn't have something demoable by now.

homeless snail posted:

You're definitely right for some, but a lot of the anti-VR reactions I've heard have sounded a lot like console warrior stuff. The money thing is at the core of a lot of console war bullshit because when you can only have one it becomes a matter of picking sides. Any games that don't release on the platform you chose are an argument against your choice.

Lack of interest or skepticality doesn't usually get the vicious responses, only when someone cares about one side "winning".

edit: I also think 3D TV was good. Definitely overhyped by some, but with the right content it's quite enjoyable. The money grab aspect was at the theaters, where so many movies were released in 3D just because it was there rather than because it actually made the viewing experience better.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Jun 13, 2017

Kid
Jun 18, 2004

Gotcha
In the new Steam Home, is there any way to view your VR library on one of the walls?

Going to be having some people try the Vive soon and I'd like to just have my VR games up on one of the walls for them to pick from (even better if I can pick which appear there).

Or is the only way still to hit the menu then pick the game from the popup window?

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
I know a lot of people love them, but I'm really hesitant to be excited that Bethesda is capable of making a good (vr) game.

somethingawful bf fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Jun 13, 2017

Fusion Restaurant
May 20, 2015
My base stations aren't being recognized on my vive. It's not that they won't sync, it's just like they don't exist. Any thoughts on what to do?

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Kid posted:

In the new Steam Home, is there any way to view your VR library on one of the walls?

Going to be having some people try the Vive soon and I'd like to just have my VR games up on one of the walls for them to pick from (even better if I can pick which appear there).

Or is the only way still to hit the menu then pick the game from the popup window?

Nope. Hopefully they'll add some customization options.

Fun fact, they have a YouTube player panel in the game files, so it seems they're at least working on adding more interactive stuff.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Yeah one of the screens in home is a launcher, but I don't think you can customize it or anything. I wish it was like the weird HTC home thing they put out last year, where game launchers were physical objects that you could put on shelves and stuff.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?

Fusion Restaurant posted:

My base stations aren't being recognized on my vive. It's not that they won't sync, it's just like they don't exist. Any thoughts on what to do?

Have you tried power-cycling the base stations? I've had to do that a few times recently when mine were powered on, but not communicating wit the PC.

Baron von der Loon
Feb 12, 2009

Awesome!

KodiakRS posted:

Seems they're letting people play.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_5YEEWKiYo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xhKwQZDpNw

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I honestly think Bethesda going all in (as much as Bethesda goes all in that is i.e. re-releasing stuff) on VR is probably one of the best things that could happen for the platform right now. Skyrim and Fallout are the types of games that VR needs to get people interested. As fun as some of these little shooters we get and even the occasional AAA game like RE7, I just don't think they are what is going to be the thing that sells VR to the average gamer. People are loving rabid about Bethesda games and that's good for all of us.

Plus I don't think many of us could say with a straight face that we aren't a little excited for this.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

veni veni veni posted:

I honestly think Bethesda going all in (as much as Bethesda goes all in that is i.e. re-releasing stuff) on VR is probably one of the best things that could happen for the platform right now. Skyrim and Fallout are the types of games that VR needs to get people interested. As fun as some of these little shooters we get and even the occasional AAA game like RE7, I just don't think they are what is going to be the thing that sells VR to the average gamer. People are loving rabid about Bethesda games and that's good for all of us.

Agreed

veni veni veni posted:

Plus I don't think many of us could say with a straight face that we aren't a little excited for this.

Ehhhhhhh a little yeah, but mostly I'm tempering my expectations because it's not going to be fundamentally different and while I had fun with Fallout 4 it was just fine

I've never played Skyrim but I also just played Breath of the Wild so the VR is going to have to be real, real good

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Skyrim was awesome. Will be great in VR if the agedness isn't unbearable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:
I think these massive open world games are going to be great for VR. The vast majority of VR games so far have been developed by small studios that just don't have the manpower to produce a game world with anywhere close to this level of asset quality/density/quantity. We finally have fully fleshed out interactive worlds to immerse ourselves in that aren't half finished tech demos.