Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

TwoDogs1Cup posted:

This season is losing a lot of steam

The Dougie poo poo needs to end. And can we please stay in Twin Peaks with the originals?

whoah hey, you absolute idiot, have you even heard of David Lynch?????????
:smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I wrote a big 3 on all of my Twin Peaks Season 1 Tapes. This season has been really great

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
I absolutely love this new season.
I miss old Coop very much and cannot wait for him to return, assuming he does. The anxiety I feel about his return is, I imagine, very intentional on Lynch's part.
I enjoy most of the Dougie scenes but sometimes feel they drag on too long, partly relating to my desire to have Coop back. This, too, is probably intentional.

You can enjoy or not enjoy the Dougie scenes. I don't think you are an idiot if you say they are not your speed. I don't think you can call them bad, though.
That is my hot take. Thanks.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

TwoDogs1Cup posted:

This season is losing a lot of steam

The Dougie poo poo needs to end. And can we please stay in Twin Peaks with the originals?

The latest episode is the most focused of all of them so far, so I'm not sure how you figure it's losing steam.

1) Albert found Diane
2) DougieCoop illuminated something troubling at the insurance place (probably fraud)
3) Janey-E paid off the loan sharks
4) learning more about the drug-dealing situation going on in Twin Peaks
5) Hawk found what was missing
6) the lady who failed to have Dougie killed got offed herself

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

TheMaestroso posted:

The latest episode is the most focused of all of them so far, so I'm not sure how you figure it's losing steam.

1) Albert found Diane
2) DougieCoop illuminated something troubling at the insurance place (probably fraud)
3) Janey-E paid off the loan sharks
4) learning more about the drug-dealing situation going on in Twin Peaks
5) Hawk found what was missing
6) the lady who failed to have Dougie killed got offed herself

7) Richard was seen in the vehicular manslaughter of a child, and he also saw the witness
8) A Linda was mentioned
9) Red may have magic powers

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I wouldn't change anything about this magical TV show.

I love that it's not a lovely nostalgia fest.

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Jun 13, 2017

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

Franchescanado posted:

7) Richard was seen in the vehicular manslaughter of a child, and he also saw the witness
8) A Linda was mentioned

Thanks, I knew I missed stuff off the top of my head.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

SeANMcBAY posted:

not emptyquoting

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Franchescanado posted:

8) A Linda was mentioned

Not to mention

10) One of the insurance cases Dougie was investigating involved a burglary of the mansion Evil Coop had the plans for, tying those two plotlines together

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

SeANMcBAY posted:

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
I'm still fifty-fifty on whether Coop is medically brain-damaged or just institutionalised from twenty-five years in the Black Lodge. A prisoner who's been on the inside for twenty-five years is going to have a hard job coping with life in the outside world anyway -- just imagine what it'd be like if those twenty-five years involved backward-talking midgets, faceless women who warp time in their proximity, and weird talking trees with lumps of flesh on their faces.

The show really makes it feel like the real world, to Coop, is this strange alien world where nothing makes sense, confusing things happen at random, nobody will leave him alone to figure it out, and if he does something wrong, people shout at him until he figures out what he should be doing and does it right.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

SeANMcBAY posted:

Me too!

I just am not a fan of how Dougie's scenes have been played out so far.

GobiasIndustries fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Jun 14, 2017

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
if ur not retarded enough to enjoy the dougie then i pity u !!!!!!!!

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Baloogan posted:

if ur not retarded enough to enjoy the dougie then i pity u !!!!!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZglqkCRNt8

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4nAvDXpvHk

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

SeANMcBAY posted:

Yeah same. I think people who need this show to be all normal Coop and coffee drinking and pie eating were expecting too much of the wrong thing going into this. That's like the stereotype of what people think Twin Peaks is. Y'all knew this was all Lynch going full Lynch on Showtime and not ABC, right? You saw Fire Walk With Me, right? Why did you think that's what this would be?

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

SeANMcBAY posted:

Yeah I've been really pleasantly surprised by the new season. It marries the tense supernatural mystery and everyday sitcom elements of the old series into one surreal package. I've actually enjoyed the Dougie scenes, they're quite funny and I think his weird powers and slow development is interesting.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Mark Frost's dad, who played Doc Hayward, died of Alzheimer's right before the show began, and he supposedly has a cameo in this. Maybe we'll never get Cooper back. Maybe Mark Frost made sure to re-team with Lynch to show how bad wanting your loved ones back after they are gone can be.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

brb, putting this in my workout playlist

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

Good. The reveal was perfect and it led to Lynch making an amazingly good movie.

It is interesting that at times some guidelines can help. For example on Blue Velvet he was given final cut and could do anything he wanted, but knew Dino didn't want it to be over two hours. Not that he necessarily had a three hour movie in mind, but that worked out.

SeANMcBAY posted:

But on the other hand, it could be a nice nostalgia fest for us Mulholland Drive fans. It is pretty much more David Lynch movie greatness in the direction they had been going, only with a script co-written by Mark Frost and a bit more of a noticeable through line than Inland Empire. Agreed on not changing a thing, it's great that this happened.

For me it feels like a warm David Lynch blanket, there could be some nostalgia to that, since it was a good 10-15 years ago I was getting into his movies.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

egon_beeblebrox posted:

Mark Frost's dad, who played Doc Hayward,

Holy poo poo, I didn't realize.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Can I just say how happy I am that the last time we saw Leo (apart from Fire Walk With Me which was set in the past) was a cutaway gag to him tied up underneath that spider in the forest, after Bobby said,"He's probably partying out in the forest!" - I honestly hope we never hear anything else about what happened to him after that, it was loving hilarious.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Yeah same. I think people who need this show to be all normal Coop and coffee drinking and pie eating were expecting too much of the wrong thing going into this. That's like the stereotype of what people think Twin Peaks is. Y'all knew this was all Lynch going full Lynch on Showtime and not ABC, right? You saw Fire Walk With Me, right? Why did you think that's what this would be?

I'm really enjoying the show but I don't think it feels like Fire Walk With Me, so I don't think that's fair. Other than the first 30 minutes or so before we get to Twin Peaks, Fire Walk is very intimately focused on one person's struggles (which is why adding back The Missing Pieces feels like a distraction) while season 3 has been a very big, global (galactic?) story with many, many threads. I don't think it's crazy to be a fan of the movie or of Lynch in general and react badly to this season.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Twin Peaks s3 feels way more like Mulholland Drive.

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm

Franchescanado posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if some loose numerology is being incorperated in the series.

Man is 5, episode 5 was mostly human dramas, human suffering (threatenjng sexual assault, drug use, failure, etc.)

The Devil is 6, in which a child was killed, a woman was stabbed to death, a man who's life keeps having trauma sees a child die, Dougie is in danger, several mentions of suicide and grief

And God is 7, so maybe some good stuff?

Looking forward to this monkey going to heaven very soon.

Confounding Factor
Jul 4, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Solice Kirsk posted:

The biggest complaint I've heard is that there's no room for any characters to grow because each episode introduces 6 more and two more plot lines. Personally, I love it because I know not everything is going to be tied up or together and I'm interested in seeing how this all plays out. We're a third of the way through and Lynch is still setting the table. I'm assuming the last few episodes are gonna be jaw dropping.

I absolutely agree with that complaint and its a legitimate one. Strangely it doesn't detract from my overall enjoyment of this series. If the focus can stay on a few major characters and an overarching plotline then I don't care how many killed-off-in-1-episode characters or red herring plots they introduce. Those sort of spontaneous, wacky, weird poo poo works perfectly in Twin Peaks.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

I'm really enjoying the show but I don't think it feels like Fire Walk With Me, so I don't think that's fair. Other than the first 30 minutes or so before we get to Twin Peaks, Fire Walk is very intimately focused on one person's struggles (which is why adding back The Missing Pieces feels like a distraction) while season 3 has been a very big, global (galactic?) story with many, many threads. I don't think it's crazy to be a fan of the movie or of Lynch in general and react badly to this season.
Well it's much more akin to FWWM than the original show in terms of tone and nonlinearity. And yeah, it might not be moving at breakneck speed, but is there some rule that Lynch's work has to do that that I didn't know about? We still have over half the season left. There's time.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
https://twitter.com/jordanlkim/status/874704019888807936

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Its-a-me! Dougie Jones!

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars

Its-a-me! Dougie Jones!

Instead of banana peels he throws handfuls of creamed corn.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Its-a-me! Dougie Jones!

Red Turtle Shell.

head58
Apr 1, 2013

Peach gave two rides.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Oh my god hahahahaha

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars

head58 posted:

Peach gave two rides.

drat fine post

Section 9
Mar 24, 2003

Hair Elf

Confounding Factor posted:

I absolutely agree with that complaint and its a legitimate one. Strangely it doesn't detract from my overall enjoyment of this series. If the focus can stay on a few major characters and an overarching plotline then I don't care how many killed-off-in-1-episode characters or red herring plots they introduce. Those sort of spontaneous, wacky, weird poo poo works perfectly in Twin Peaks.

I feel like a lot of the cameos of previous characters in the town is more just showing that they still exist and life has moved on (and to give the actors a chance to be in this thing...that's probably a really big part of it.) I don't expect many of them to come back in terms of plot. There will be a new plot involving a very few of those characters, and maybe some of them playing side roles. But most of the scenes just seem like slice-of-life bits that don't involve the intrigue of the main plot. I mean, they brought back Heidi just to giggle and have a two sentence discussion with Shelly. I don't expect she's going to enter into things in a big way again.

Of the new characters, I think a lot of them don't need more development. They are there to serve a purpose (they have been manufactured for a purpose) to drive the plot along. Who they are is not important, it's their actions and the consequences on the main plot. Like, Hip Hop Music lady was there just to tie the assassins in Rancho Rosa to Argentina, and now she's dead. Doesn't really matter who she was, aside from someone who was arranging a hit on Dougie and failed and was then knocked off herself.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
thers a gently caress ton of peisodes to do go

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
Yeah we've got literally half a day of TV to go, I feel like some people just might end up with some more screentime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I kinda wish this was released all at once because it feels like a show that should be binge watched. Ep6 didn't feel like it was all that self contained. It felt like a pretty arbitrarily broken up hour of TV. I still liked it of course, but dang if it didn't feel incomplete without ep7 to immediately follow it.