Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

paranoid randroid posted:

Beltway Candidate Wins Literal Beltway

thats not really the case. the conservative guy had more virginia-specific support, the liberal guy had much more national-level support and he lost

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Vox Nihili posted:

virginia is a blue state now

actually blue or Washington blue where the state legislature is hotly contested outside the cities?

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015
Federalism wouldn't really reduce the number of elections. Even hyper-centralist France has elections for communes, departments and legislative/presidential.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
full disclosure, i just like saying "beltway"

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Agean90 posted:

actually blue or Washington blue where the state legislature is hotly contested outside the cities?

Yes.

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

https://twitter.com/Redistrict/status/874785457137176576

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

:thunk:

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Agnosticnixie posted:

Federalism wouldn't really reduce the number of elections. Even hyper-centralist France has elections for communes, departments and legislative/presidential.

it could. "the French colonial system is hosed up" isn't a great argument.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

didn't a poster just say virginia's legislature is still red af

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Blue states are mostly controlled by republicans at the local level because the dems loving suck locally, which is the case in virginia.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
also virginia's gubernatorial term limit law is idiotic

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
northam won by co-opting most of perriello's platform while hitting him hard over the stupak amendment he voted for back during the aca days. i think he managed to muddle the waters to the point that he looked enough like a true progressive to steal enough of what should have been perriello's base

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Like a state comprised of maybe 55% democratic party-leaning voters would have a maybe a 95% chance that republicans control both levels of the state legislature.

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

Joementum posted:

the US has too many elections
I think this is false.

The US has too many piss-poorly managed elections.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Concerned Citizen posted:

northam won by co-opting most of perriello's platform while hitting him hard over the stupak amendment he voted for back during the aca days. i think he managed to muddle the waters enough that he looked enough like the true progressive to steal a big part of perriello's base

he also won by being the current lt governor and being endorsed by the sitting governor, which is probably pretty good for name recognition and gets you a lot of status quo support

Gavin Newsom gonna win lol

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Joementum posted:

also virginia's gubernatorial term limit law is idiotic

factual

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Vox Nihili posted:

he also won by being the current lt governor and being endorsed by the sitting governor

Can't wait to have a Nexus 5 running California

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Vox Nihili posted:

he also won by being the current lt governor and being endorsed by the sitting governor

well he had that advantage, didn't help that perriello's fundraising was weak as hell

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

https://twitter.com/Redistrict/status/874789481093660673

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
stewart doing this well is loving nuts

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
As somebody who lived in the beltway during the time this happened, I think it's time to bring the beltway sniper back.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Stexils posted:

tony warhawk's pro skater

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

ThndrShk2k posted:

I think this is false.

The US has too many piss-poorly managed elections.

Better management doesn't solve the problem of weird timing for multiple elections. Texas has something like a dozen a year.

Even noble and well managed Vermont has at least one election every year, and sometimes as many as five.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
It's time for everyone to tighten their beltways

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE
the US needs to be broken up my dude, my guy

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

Vox Nihili posted:

he also won by being the current lt governor and being endorsed by the sitting governor, which is probably pretty good for name recognition and gets you a lot of status quo support

id rather have him confined to CA where he can't gently caress things up too much than let him in the senate

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Gringostar posted:

id rather have him confined to CA where he can't gently caress things up too much than let him in the senate

lol if you think making him governor is going to put a cap on his ambitions

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

:stare:

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

Joementum posted:

Better management doesn't solve the problem of weird timing for multiple elections. Texas has something like a dozen a year.

Even noble and well managed Vermont has at least one election every year, and sometimes as many as five.
That's really more of an argument to organize the election schedule than to eliminate the number of elections.

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Homeless Friend posted:

As somebody who lived in the beltway during the time this happened, I think it's time to bring the beltway sniper back.

Make beltway bandits scared away

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

ThndrShk2k posted:

That's really more of an argument to organize the election schedule than to eliminate the number of elections.

well my belief is that doing the former will lead to the latter

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

could repeal the 17th amendment

that would remove some elections

this is a great idea

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Joementum posted:

This is true. There is no rhyme or reason to all of the little poo poo elections we have in Texas; it results in Texas having people that are complete idiots being in charge of our schools and other public institutions.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Gringostar posted:

lmao dehumanize yourself and face to newsom 2024 or 2028

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

hilltwitter on the former bush supporter winning the primary:

https://twitter.com/isteintraum/status/874785418880970752

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
we should do things locke-style and just have one election to decide our supreme god emperor. no elections after that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/SeanMcElwee/status/874793669055967232

• Locked thread