Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Rockopolis posted:

Link?
Are we keeping Truman's goals and knowledge? Like, if we did we'd probably do what he did. Not like the interventions were sure to succeed or sure to fail.

What about a 1950 Alben W Barkley presidency, in the case of Torresola and Collazo succeeding?

Gay Black Truman probably tells everyone to gently caress off, thus avoiding all three conflicts.
He instead spends the money and troops razing the South to enforce desegregation and also has a to scale carving of his penis added to Stone Mountain. Sorry, got mixed up with Younger Presidential Johnson.
I'm trying to do something in similar vein to that LBJ CYOA from early 2016, in which goons vote on decisions and try to make the timeline better/worse.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3821616

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Here's the thing about alternate history: no one knows so you can do whatever the gently caress you want.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009
Truman allows China/North Korea/North Vietnam to join in full Statehood, and peacefully the United States embraces the glory of Communism; looking back, the defining point was when the dollar was abolished in favor of a social labor-based currency, and Truman's ringing endorsement of "the buck stops *here*."

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Giving Them More Hell

I fired him [MacArthur] because he wouldn't respect the authority of the President ... I didn't fire him because he was a dumb son of a bitch, although he was, but that's not against the law for generals. If it was, half to three-quarters of them would be in jail.[174]

Harry S. Truman to biographer Merle Miller, 1972, posthumously quoted in Time magazine, 1973.

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

Bagheera posted:

Can you recommend resources on the US military in the late 19th century? Roughly from the end of Reconstruction to the Spanish American war.

I know very little about the Indian Wars, and nothing at all about the Navy at this time.

It seems there's a huge leap in technology and tactics between the end of the Civil War and the start of the Spanish American war. Are there any good books detailing how that came about?

The Navy rotted away, in a very real sense, almost to nothingness in the aftermath of the Civil War. It was built on big wooden steam frigates with full sailing rigs and wooden-hulled ironclad monitors. Development and new construction stagnated, old armaments were stockpiled, and ships decayed at their moorings until refitted or reconstructed. The American merchant fleet also remained fixated on the wooden sailing ships (or, more commonly, barques) of yesteryear. Meanwhile, the European navies were doing things like inventing the battleship.

Rebirth was authorized in 1886 with the small battleships Texas (NB: not the museum ship in Houston) and Maine (of explosive fame), although construction was protracted and neither ship was commissioned until 1895. The year 1888 saw the founding of the American Society of Naval Engineers (ASNE), the first such professional organization in the United States, followed by the founding the Society of Naval Architects and Marine Engineers (SNAME) in 1893. Between them, these two organizations hosted most of the men responsible for the technical aspects of naval revitalization. The United States built numerous battleships and cruisers through the 1890s until by the time of the Spanish-American War it boasted a modern fleet suitable for a great power.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

The US built a ton of predreads at a breathtaking pace. Some of them were economy models and therefore trash, but there were a lot of them. They were also somewhat hampered by the lack of a good quick firing gun early on (or just having 5" ones when the state of the art is 6"), so you see 8" guns added on and Europeans wondering what the heck those crazy Americans are doing with those huge gun batteries and the Americans are justifying it by the 8" guns being able to possibly wreck the lighter armored sections and knock out secondaries. It's not until the North Carolina class that the US really sacrifices elsewhere for gun armament again, too.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Cyrano4747 posted:

Here's the thing about alternate history: no one knows so you can do whatever the gently caress you want.
You'd think that, but:

Asks Alternate History folks: Could have Truman (through the 1945 Marshall Mission to China) been able to form a non-aggression pact with Mao, even in favor of him over the KMT?

quote:

The Chinese lobby in America was Nationalist. American business had a lot to lose should the communists prove victorious. A lot of political clout to overcome there.

Would Mao even trust the West? With our years of support for the Kuomintang and opinions regarding Communism; Mao would need to be more flexible than he ever proved in history.

And should the Korean War still occur and Truman holds MacArthur back following the ChiCom tide, he will find his legacy tarnished and be lucky if he isn't impeached and/or tried for treason appearing a fool at best and a communist sympathizer at worst. Forget the presidential pension for life created for Truman in his later years.

I just don't see public opinion supporting aiding a communist state in the era of the Red Scare, Stalin's aggression, and with the Nationalists having already secured American support.
I dunno what to do about that.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?
Avoid reading a post that bad and stop asking yourself unanswerable what if questions.

Just my two cents.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Would it have been better if the WW2 allies had not invaded Italy?

edit: poo poo this was kind of inappropriate after the last several posts I hadn't read the thread in a while.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Baron Porkface posted:

Would it have been better if the WW2 allies had not invaded Italy?

It probably would have been worse. Not invading Italy doesn't really speed up Overlord, and the Soviets would have gone apeshit if the WAllies sat around for the better part of a year doing nothing on the ground.

Also, Italy did help with the continued shakedown of the US Army into an effective fighting force, and it did open another front, diverting more and more troops and logistics from other places.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

MANime in the sheets posted:

It probably would have been worse. Not invading Italy doesn't really speed up Overlord, and the Soviets would have gone apeshit if the WAllies sat around for the better part of a year doing nothing on the ground.

Also, Italy did help with the continued shakedown of the US Army into an effective fighting force, and it did open another front, diverting more and more troops and logistics from other places.

On the other hand though, it lead to the direct acquisition of the northern half of Italy by Germany, and Italy's industry was almost entirely concentrated in the German half. Aside from the simple acquisition of additional tools and equipment, the Germans were able to capture 800,000 Italian soldiers. These soldiers were deported to Germany proper and used as slave labor in agriculture, industry, mining, and civilian and military construction. The Germans considered the Italians "traitors," not POWs, and so their treatment was particularly bad. An additional 100,000 men served in the Italian puppet state or in the Germany army.

Also, the Italian manufacturing community had grown increasingly opposed to the war and in secret, began in at least early 1942 or possibly late 1941 to curtail production and stockpile raw materials and intermediate products for use when the war was over. The wealth of raw materials that had been stashed away for post war use shocked and pleased the Germans, and they wasted no time in exploiting this unexpected bonanza.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Grouchio posted:

You'd think that, but:

Asks Alternate History folks: Could have Truman (through the 1945 Marshall Mission to China) been able to form a non-aggression pact with Mao, even in favor of him over the KMT?

Just post stuff. See what the voters want to do. Give plausible consequences.

If you want to make it more ~*~authentic~*~, use HoI4 as your prop or something. Maps help.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

bedpan posted:

On the other hand though, it lead to the direct acquisition of the northern half of Italy by Germany, and Italy's industry was almost entirely concentrated in the German half. Aside from the simple acquisition of additional tools and equipment, the Germans were able to capture 800,000 Italian soldiers. These soldiers were deported to Germany proper and used as slave labor in agriculture, industry, mining, and civilian and military construction. The Germans considered the Italians "traitors," not POWs, and so their treatment was particularly bad. An additional 100,000 men served in the Italian puppet state or in the Germany army.

Also, the Italian manufacturing community had grown increasingly opposed to the war and in secret, began in at least early 1942 or possibly late 1941 to curtail production and stockpile raw materials and intermediate products for use when the war was over. The wealth of raw materials that had been stashed away for post war use shocked and pleased the Germans, and they wasted no time in exploiting this unexpected bonanza.

Fair enough. I dont have any numbers to back this up, but my impression was that, especially in the last year or two of the war, Germany's issue was more a lack of raw materials than factories or labor. Plus, Italy opened up a whole new avenue for atrategic bombing, and stretched their fighters even further.

Not to mention how much better it made the WAllies logistical situation, especially the UK's, removing most of the Italian navy, strategic ports, and airfields from consideration.

The Italian campaign takes a lot of crap, but I really don't see what else they could have done in '42 and '43. It was better than the other options, and they couldn't just sit and prep for France. An invasion over the Channel in '43 may have worked, but it would have been much smaller and riskier.

The only other options on the table were Greece/Balkans, Spain, or Norway. Greece would have pissed off Stalin something fierce and needed Italy out of the picture anyway, Spain had a whole other set of problems, and Norway would have, by necessity, been small and not at all strategically decisive. And after Sicily and the Italian surrender, rhe Germans would have occupied N. Italy regardless.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Nebakenezzer posted:

Giving Them More Hell

I fired him [MacArthur] because he wouldn't respect the authority of the President ... I didn't fire him because he was a dumb son of a bitch, although he was, but that's not against the law for generals. If it was, half to three-quarters of them would be in jail.[174]

Harry S. Truman to biographer Merle Miller, 1972, posthumously quoted in Time magazine, 1973.

Ah on the subject of firing generals for not respecting the President, has anyone else seen War Machine?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIO_BFCf8fU

I thought over all it was a pretty gentle satire of the American military and officers. However one reviewer in the Washington Post found it too hard on the McChrystal stand-in, but had to admit his military friend liked it.

"Washington Post posted:

I took an Afghan war vet to Brad Pitt’s bad, anti-military movie. He liked it.
As a journalist, I was fixated on the many things the movie gets wrong. The generals, especially the lightly camouflaged McChrystal character played by Brad Pitt, are cartoonish buffoons obsessed with their legacies and contemptuous of the U.S. civilians they serve. The enlisted troops are mostly angry and alone. The Afghans are largely drug addicts.

. . . But my friend, retired Army Lt. Col. Jason Dempsey, told me he was most grateful for the big things that “War Machine” got right. The movie captures the strange, intoxicating and often lonely bubble that most of America’s four-star war commanders inhabit. The McChrystal character is surrounded by aides who share his all-consuming belief in the mission, and who are determined to shield him from bad news and burnish his legacy. He’s cut off from his political leadership in Washington and the depressing reality that no one back home, including the president, sees his troops’ life-and-death struggle as a top priority.

I mean compared to other satirical characters like Robert Duvall's Lt. Colonel Kilgore from Apocalypse Now, Glenn McMahon is very sympathetic, it's just that he suffers from that great classical heroic flaw, hubris. Still it seems the film ruffled a lot of feathers.

Squalid fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Jun 14, 2017

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

bedpan posted:

These soldiers were deported to Germany proper and used as slave labor

As usual the Germans make the strategically correct decision 3 years too late.

BattleMoose
Jun 16, 2010
I watched War Machine the other night, I really enjoyed it. It had a number of what I thought were absolutely excellent scenes.

*minor spoilers*

The scene about medals for heroic restraint, highlight how absolutely confused the grunts are about how they can do their job or what their job really even is.

With the politician questioning McMahon in his presentation, pointing out that this is what his entire career has built up to and how much personal value he has in winning.

The talk with the villagers after the firefight, pointing out that roads and schools are nice, but the US marines are leaving, and when they leave, it will be worse for them because of what the Taliban will do to them for "helping". And just asking them to leave, repeatedly.

Does a good job of demonstrating how unwinnable the war is, lack of political will to win it and how important it is for the military top echelon, to win it.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Squalid posted:

Ah on the subject of firing generals for not respecting the President, has anyone else seen War Machine?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIO_BFCf8fU

I thought over all it was a pretty gentle satire of the American military and officers. However one reviewer in the Washington Post found it too hard on the McChrystal stand-in, but had to admit his military friend liked it.

I mean compared to other satirical characters like Robert Duvall's Lt. Colonel Kilgore from Apocalypse Now, Glenn McMahon is very sympathetic, it's just that he suffers from that great classical heroic flaw, hubris. Still it seems the film ruffled a lot of feathers.

I'm only about a half hour into it and I can totally see why film critics gave it meh/bad reviews but also why military folk love this poo poo. Talk about catering to an audience, and not a military audience eager for a dick-jerkin' good time of heroism and explosions.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Grouchio posted:

What could've Truman done differently in regards to handling China, Korea and Vietnam?

If truman had done things differently then the history of Asia would be significantly different compared to what it is now.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

The only other options on the table were Greece/Balkans, Spain, or Norway. Greece would have pissed off Stalin something fierce and needed Italy out of the picture anyway, Spain had a whole other set of problems, and Norway would have, by necessity, been small and not at all strategically decisive. And after Sicily and the Italian surrender, rhe Germans would have occupied N. Italy regardless.

What exactly would the Allies be doing in Spain? Genuinely don't know anything about any plans they had in that area.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

mlmp08 posted:

I'm only about a half hour into it and I can totally see why film critics gave it meh/bad reviews but also why military folk love this poo poo. Talk about catering to an audience, and not a military audience eager for a dick-jerkin' good time of heroism and explosions.

Yeah, it seems like most people that got really mad are persons who worked directly with McChrystal and are offended that Brad Pitt's caricature isn't flattering enough, but really that's a silly criticism for a comedy. Foreign Policy has a review up by someone who was on his Strategic Assessment Team titled Screw Brad Pitt and the 'War Machine' He Rode in On

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?
It's a poor movie in cinematic terms, though. It's boringly shot, the performances and themes are inconsistent, and it doesn't have much by way of an emotional development. It doesn't know what it is.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

StandardVC10 posted:

What exactly would the Allies be doing in Spain? Genuinely don't know anything about any plans they had in that area.

Spain contributed a division to Barbarossa, traded freely with Germany (helping circumvent the blockade), and contributed to some degree in supplying the U-boats. I'm not super well versed in what they did, but they were very definitely involved. Plus, there is the whole Spanish civil war and Franco being a fascist to consider. Not to mention entertaining German proposals regarding Gibraltar and the surrounding areas in mid 1940, or possibly a very amateurish attempt to kidnap/coerce a member of the British royal family (I've only seen this discussed in one place, I don't know if it actually happened).

All in all, they were on the wrong side of neutrality, and the WAllies knew it. The bottom line was that adding them as a full belligerent had more downside than up, and pretty much every argument for attacking Spain was far more true for Italy.

BattleMoose
Jun 16, 2010
And if the Germans managed to form a defensive line across the Pyrenees, that would be *fun* to try and advance across.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

While it is unprovable, and I don't know of anybody who has tried gaming it out or simply tried to extrapolate, I can't help but feel that a Republican victory in the SCW (perhaps by lessening their ties to Communism and thus getting better international support) a really interesting alt-hist scenario for WWII.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Grouchio posted:

You'd think that, but:

Roll a d10.

1 to 5 is a no, 6 to 10 is a yes, with numbers further away from 5 causing more chaos in the setting.

BattleMoose posted:

War Machine

I found it a bit difficult to watch because it felt like the movie was a satire, and at the same time it's supposed to be a character study of McChrystal ... but McMahon is himself a caricature, so there's like a couple of levels of irony working simultaneously.

The War College podcast by Reuters had two episodes on Afghanistan with journalist Douglas Wissing, and I thought that was a better overview of the situation.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Gnoman posted:

While it is unprovable, and I don't know of anybody who has tried gaming it out or simply tried to extrapolate, I can't help but feel that a Republican victory in the SCW (perhaps by lessening their ties to Communism and thus getting better international support) a really interesting alt-hist scenario for WWII.

:what:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

feedmegin posted:

'What's that lovely artillery piece with the teeny tiny barrel over there - it's a Maxim gun, you say? Doesn't look like it should be much threat' :shobon:

even in 1914 ToE was like four very not mobile machine guns per regiment so I feel pretty safe in saying that your average Grand Armee colonel could figure it out.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Why not invade Turkey also?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Gnoman posted:

there's gay black hitler dumb poo poo and then there's actively falsifiable counterfactuals which are even more stupid, good God.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
https://s1.webmshare.com/6rVGo.webm

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

An invasion over the Channel in '43 may have worked, but it would have been much smaller and riskier.

We know exactly what it would have looked like, actually, it's called Dieppe.

Rodrigo Diaz
Apr 16, 2007

Knights who are at the wars eat their bread in sorrow;
their ease is weariness and sweat;
they have one good day after many bad

OwlFancier posted:

But broadly you need it long enough to put good spin on the projectile, and long enough for the propellant to burn and expand and get the projectile up to speed. Heavier projectile takes longer to accelerate both in velocity and spin, more propellant takes longer to fully expand and impart all its energy into the round. If you cut the barrel down the round might not get much spin so it'll tumble and go off course/lose energy faster, and the propellant will just escape out the end of the barrel as soon as the round leaves.

I realize the thread has moved on, but getting spin on a projectile doesn't require more than 2 inches or so of rifling. It's how, for example, rifles choke tubes and fitz specials can still be effective. Barrel length also only really matters for ease of aiming, rather than any kind of mechanical accuracy on the shot.

Grouchio posted:

What could've Truman done differently in regards to handling China, Korea and Vietnam?

Lots of things. This is a very broadly worded question, but I'll proffer some half-way worthwhile answers. There was a chance before the war that Truman was considering abandoning Chiang and Taiwan to the Chinese, and that would have been a good step toward a reunified Korea, and would have lessened Chinese worries about US expansion into China. In fact it was the North Korean invasion in the first place which made him decide to protect Taiwan, because it instilled in him the belief that the communists were a monolithic political Bloc. This is also interesting because MacArthur's understanding was more nuanced and accurate.

He also could have adopted Ridgway's idea of fighting up to the narrow neck of Korea around the Pyongyang-Wonsan line and fortifying the hell out of it, which would have been able to last our Korean and Chinese offensives for the rest of the war. Truman also could have also taken more strenuous measures to avoid crossing the 38th parallel and provoking China into the war in the first place.

Idk about Vietnam, but in all cases he could have used more nukes.

Rodrigo Diaz fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Jun 14, 2017

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Gnoman posted:

Haha, wow, I don't even know where to begin. Who were you expecting to help these magical centrist Republicans?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Here's a video of some guys shooting ACW artillery at an APC. It's taken from down range so you can hear what getting shot at by cannons sounds like. It sounds scary as hell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jL1DkrYL70s

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

zoux posted:

Here's a video of some guys shooting ACW artillery at an APC. It's taken from down range so you can hear what getting shot at by cannons sounds like. It sounds scary as hell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jL1DkrYL70s

Goddamn the sound when they skip off the ground :stare:

also color me surprised how much they gently caress up that APC.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Cyrano4747 posted:

Goddamn the sound when they skip off the ground :stare:

also color me surprised how much they gently caress up that APC.

It sounds like the old school 50's TV western ricochet sound.

Also, are those rounds near supersonic? You see the smoke from the cannon, and you hear the report it seems right before the round hits.

zoux fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Jun 14, 2017

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

zoux posted:

Also, are those rounds near supersonic? You see the smoke from the cannon, and you hear the report it seems right before the round hits.

Yeah, it sounds like they're just under the speed of sound. It's a big change from how movies like The Patriot depicted cannonballs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BcaQerCQdk0

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Ensign Expendable posted:

Haha, wow, I don't even know where to begin. Who were you expecting to help these magical centrist Republicans?

Given that I was drunk when I posted that, and have no idea where I was going with it, I dunno.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Quote taken from Status and Experience Report on the Campaign in Poland from the 1. leichte Division - 4 October 1939

quote:

The big surprise during the first days in combat was that a hit from an anti-tank gun did not automatically result in killing the Panzer crew. Out of five hits, usually only one penetrated the armor. When a Panzer was penetrated, usually only one of the crew was killed. Drivers and radio operators were in the most danger. This revelation significantly raised the crews 'fighting spirit'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

zoux posted:

The first time I got shot at I was literally laughing at the sounds the bullets made being exactly the same as they are in a bugs bunny cartoon. \

Also that cannon video is badass, it actually made me a little uncomfortable being at the downrange end of that thing.