Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Kalenn Istarion posted:

What do people who are more informed than me think of the Jays draft picks? I've never been into prospect stats much

On the whole, there didn't seem to be any huge surprises this year. That may be because scouts who write about the draft pool thought this was a below average year for talent.

I think someone crunched the numbers and figured out that a team would end up about 15th in value over time, if they just picked the consensus BPA and signed them with each of their first 10 picks. That's really the lens through which you can look back at drafts but literally nobody can tell you if your team did well. They can only tell you if the players they picked made any sense and I don't get the sense that were were any huge shocks this year.

IcePhoenix posted:

He can be the backup then because he sure as hell shouldn't be starting over Sano

I think sure as hell is a little strong when you're comparing Sano to the best 3rd baseman in baseball over the last 3 seasons and a guy who's 2015-17 WRC+ is better than Sano's 2017 WRC+. I know Donaldson's been hurt but his current WRC+ is 35 points higher than Sano.

tadashi fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Jun 13, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

https://twitter.com/ClickHole/status/874704617891876865

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

tadashi posted:

I know Donaldson's been hurt but his current WRC+ is 35 points higher than Sano.

Yes, he's had a bit more than a third of Sano's PAs. That's why it isn't, nor should it be, close.

Though amusingly if you look at Sano's April compared to Donaldson's entire season they're basically identical, with Sano taking more walks.

Sano's first 23 games: .316/.443/.684 in 97 PAs
Donaldson's first 23: .317/.417/.683 in 96 PAs

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Kalenn Istarion posted:

What do people who are more informed than me think of the Jays draft picks? I've never been into prospect stats much

Well they took a dude called Cullen Large so I'm pretty ready to say that they won the draft.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Infidel Castro posted:

Hello 2018 compensation pick!

Doubtful. Benefit of having first pick is that you can spend the 12 hours between rounds hammering the phones and working out deals.

Totally with you if it were any other circumstance though.

Few softtossing college lefties with plus change ups and command. The more things change, etc

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

https://twitter.com/theaceofspaeder/status/874470531461808128

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
It was supposed to be Bethancourt's year!

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Pungry posted:

What are they going to rename it to? Safeco Field was such a good name for a ballpark.

Let's put it to the internet.

And the winner is...

*sigh*

a tie between Fieldy McParkFace and the Seattle Holocaust Center.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

Salvor_Hardin posted:

And the winner is...

*sigh*

I expected Adolf Hitler Did Nothing Wrong Memorial Stadium to do better, honestly.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Those types of plays are almost always ruled hits for some reason

Stiev Awt
Mar 20, 2007

Salvor_Hardin posted:

And the winner is...

*sigh*

I voted for Fred Durst Museum of Modern Art

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
anyone still think goins over upton was the wrong move?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Intruder posted:

Nobody got a glove on it, therefore hit.

Really though, how would you decide which IF to assign the error to? Errors are stupid.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Inspector_666 posted:

Nobody got a glove on it, therefore hit.

Really though, how would you decide which IF to assign the error to? Errors are stupid.

There should be team errors? :shrug:

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
It should be a hit because he hit the ball well enough to confuse the entire infield, it's a skill.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Remember last spring training when Tyler White (you probably don't remember him but the incident is hard to forget) hit one over Cespedes, who acted like the ball was stuck under the wall until the ump came out and very easily just picked it up? That was ruled a homerun somehow so

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Intruder posted:

I can't think of the last time I've seen an error assigned for passive fuckups-loving up in an attempt to play the ball is an error. Not making that attempt in the first place is not.

One of many reasons the error is a worthless stat! Not entirely sure how to fix that though (letting a bunt roll to a stop, in hopes of it going foul.... error or not?), but more fun to me is seeing how far they'd push the passive privilege.

Routine ground ball to 3B, he throws to first. 1B is still a bit hungover, doesn't even attempt to cover the bag. Who gets that error when the ball nails the lady in the second row? The guy who threw it into the crowd, or the guy who was supposed to be there to catch it?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I still say that if you reach base for any reason other than a walk it should count as a hit. Forced errors are unaccounted for in anyway and that's a pretty big oversight for some players (Hamilton?)

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
Best as I can tell only Baseball Reference tracks Reached on Errors:

Hamilton is in a tie for 89th with 2, while Trea Turner leads with 8. Hamilton only managed 1 in all of 2016, while Correa led by a mile with 16. Houston and Pittsburgh led last year with 70, while the drat Yankees lead this year with 35.

There's been your useless-rear end interlude! Someone with more patience may crossreference that against BSR from fangraphs to see if teams with better baserunning scores also have higher ROEs (the best proxy I can think of for team speed).

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

Fangraphs released a new article about Aaron Hicks as a follow up to the one they wrote in the beginning of May. They now believe that it's more than just a hot streak and that might actually be a pretty good player going forward, as long as he keeps making adjustments like he had been so far this year. Rosenthal also talked about Hicks in his notes and how Hicks still talks to Torii Hunter and Rod Carew regularly to get their advice. I have to admit that I was kind of down on him after last season, but he's been great this season and I hope he makes the All Star game, even though he's not on the fan ballot. The trade now looks like a steal for Cashman.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Paracaidas posted:

Best as I can tell only Baseball Reference tracks Reached on Errors:

... the drat Yankees lead this year with 35.

There's been your useless-rear end interlude! Someone with more patience may crossreference that against BSR from fangraphs to see if teams with better baserunning scores also have higher ROEs (the best proxy I can think of for team speed).

That doesn't surprise me. Teams have committed a ton of errors against the Yankees this year and they have capitalized on them really well. Doesn't hurt that the Yankees have a lot of guys hitting the ball really hard, too.

humpthewind
Jan 8, 2007

Noblest of all dogs is the hot-dog; it feeds the hand that bites it.

Inspector_666 posted:

That doesn't surprise me. Teams have committed a ton of errors against the Yankees this year and they have capitalized on them really well. Doesn't hurt that the Yankees have a lot of guys hitting the ball really hard, too.

This brings up a question I've been wondering about. The Yankee broadcast and the scoreboard in the stadium have added exit velocity as a regular stat. Have other teams adopted this or is it an effect of Judge?

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

humpthewind posted:

This brings up a question I've been wondering about. The Yankee broadcast and the scoreboard in the stadium have added exit velocity as a regular stat. Have other teams adopted this or is it an effect of Judge?

MLB recently(ish) made a live statcast feed available to clubs, so many teams have added Exit Velocity, Launch Angle, Rotations/Spin Rate and other stats to their in-home and in-park presentations.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
My personal hope is that there's some sort of cool name to replace Safeco and not one of the big 4 of Starbucks, Microsoft, Amazon or Boeing getting their naming rights.

tadashi posted:

Robinson Cano has been worth it, so far, too. I'd argue the same broken clock theory, though. He was just the best player with a fit for them at the time.

And those crazy-rear end rumors that the Mariners essentially bid against themselves... which were said to be untrue but you have to wonder where they came from.

I wouldn't disagree, only that I think Cano will age and make the tail end of the contract not great. We only have Cruz for 1 more year after this.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

seiferguy posted:

My personal hope is that there's some sort of cool name to replace Safeco and not one of the big 4 of Starbucks, Microsoft, Amazon or Boeing getting their naming rights.

If it was Starbucks you could call the place "The Coffee Pot" or something.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

https://twitter.com/steveweddle/status/874773308008534022

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

me to daniel murphy too, next time i see daniel murphy

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

ihatepants posted:

Fangraphs released a new article about Aaron Hicks as a follow up to the one they wrote in the beginning of May. They now believe that it's more than just a hot streak and that might actually be a pretty good player going forward, as long as he keeps making adjustments like he had been so far this year. Rosenthal also talked about Hicks in his notes and how Hicks still talks to Torii Hunter and Rod Carew regularly to get their advice. I have to admit that I was kind of down on him after last season, but he's been great this season and I hope he makes the All Star game, even though he's not on the fan ballot. The trade now looks like a steal for Cashman.

The last time the Twins came out ahead on a trade, it was to clear room for Joe Mauer ob the MLB roster.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

ihatepants posted:

Anybody who says they weren't down on Hicks after last season is a liar. His next-level plate discipline has changed his game completely this season, and I'm totally into it.

The greatest thing about this breakout for him is that it's not coming at the expense of Judge playing, either, which it looked like may have been the case at the very beginning of the season.

EDIT: In less than half the games, he has 3 more walks and has double the BB% as last year.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Jun 14, 2017

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

The Walrus posted:

anyone still think goins over upton was the wrong move?

Always and forever. Goins sucks.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

https://twitter.com/dougdirt24/status/874495163086884864

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

:laffo:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
N:
https://twitter.com/SBNation/status/874790824252391424

V: :lol:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

seiferguy posted:

Nintendo could always step back in and call it Switch Field. :v:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Infidel Castro posted:

The last time the Twins came out ahead on a trade, it was to clear room for Joe Mauer ob the MLB roster.

August 1, 2016 Traded RHPs Ricky Nolasco and Alex Meyer and cash to the L.A. Angels for LHP Hector Santiago and RHP Alan Busenitz.
June 25, 2016 Traded OF Oswaldo Arcia to Tampa Bay for a player to be named or cash.
August 10, 2014 Traded RHP Kevin Correia to the L.A. Dodgers for a player to be named.

:colbert:

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
They just mentioned on the Red Sox broadcast that Manny's contract in Japan stipulates:

- A Mercedes with a driver
- That he never has to practice
- Unlimited free sushi

:allears: I miss you buddy.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Infidel Castro posted:

Hello 2018 compensation pick!

https://twitter.com/RhettBollinger/status/874806666465771521

:boom:

canadianclassic
Nov 3, 2004

canadianclassic posted:

The mariners are about to catch fire (in a good way) :colbert:

Nevermind it was the bad kind of fire

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry

IcePhoenix posted:

August 1, 2016 Traded RHPs Ricky Nolasco and Alex Meyer and cash to the L.A. Angels for LHP Hector Santiago and RHP Alan Busenitz.

Nolasco and Meyer have both been more valuable this season than Santiago, not that any of them have been particularly good. Meyer at least has put up a 103 ERA+ and has several years of control left.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

Some solid avatar material:

• Locked thread