Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
I crossed the 2/3 foiled out mark on my Cube this week. I'd say I'll turn it into a downpayment on a house one day, but even if I sold out of this game, you know I'd keep this stupid thing.

In other news, I got scammed on a re-backed lotus, hence my post in the trade thread looking for other power. Thank loving christ for paypal's buyer protection, though; this is why you don't send poo poo F&F.

I already lined up a replacement though. Buying a minty one from Chris VanMeter of all people. He's a really chill dude, happy to wait for my refund from this debacle to resolve.

Mezzanon posted:

This year I turned legacy staples into becoming debt free. I know how good that feels man, congrats!

Three years ago I unexpectedly lost my job after moving across the country. I made it 8 months by selling a Legacy deck and two Modern decks.

BaronVonVaderham fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Jun 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Three years ago I unexpectedly lost my job after moving across the country. I made it 8 months by selling a Legacy deck and two Modern decks.

Graduating into a recession was lovely, but I made rent money by selling speculation cards and playing 50-100 buck weekly tournaments 4 nights a week for around 6 months.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

I'm in crippling student loan debt and work 50+ hours a week to pay for my loans and mortgage and all of my wife and daughter's stuff. :shrug:

Also one time I made Genesis Wave spike to $20 so that was funny.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110
I bought an innistrad pack I saw at a walmart on a whim a couple years ago and the Lilliana helped pay rent one month between jobs the next year :v:

Sixfools
Aug 27, 2005

You be the Moon,
I'll be the Earth
And when we burst
Start over, oh, darling

Mezzanon posted:

$70 well spent!

If I can squeak out one more win I'll be a lock for top 8. What a time to be alive

People keep playing variations of it where I play locally and they always look like they are having fun.

Ive been going 2/2 on average with my UB fae and now that im really practiced Im seeing a lot more sucess. Deaths shadow as of a 2x in the SB does wonders for most matchups. Fae normally gets down to ~5 most games anyway. I like scion but it does need to be timed well to avoid removal, being out of default push range is a plus. SSS is the best counter ever. Mistbind cliquing another Mistbind and creating the clique inception is hilarious.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Man. I've been playing a lot of legacy on MTGO. And it just really really makes me wish we had a local scene. I find it so much more fun than modern. And I like modern.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Walked posted:

Man. I've been playing a lot of legacy on MTGO. And it just really really makes me wish we had a local scene. I find it so much more fun than modern. And I like modern.

But modern is the ~~best format~~

Just wait until Deathrite goes and you can justify playing a deck that doesn't have it.

jk pros love their midrange garbage so Deathrite will never go

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

suicidesteve posted:

But modern is the ~~best format~~

Just wait until Deathrite goes and you can justify playing a deck that doesn't have it.

jk pros love their midrange garbage so Deathrite will never go

DRS is like 1/3rd of the meta, who cares its a 1/2 mana dork

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Pretty hosed up that it blocks Goblin Lackey AND Mon's Goblins Raiders for free, imo

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

Pretty hosed up that it blocks Goblin Lackey AND Mon's Goblins Raiders for free, imo

But not Hurloon Minotaur

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Smashing Link posted:

But not Hurloon Minotaur

Well, there's a reason minotaur was one of the face cards of magic for several years

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe

C-Euro posted:

Dammit, stop making this deck sound viable, I don't need to be dragged into another deck I'll never actually play :argh:

Played it last week. It was trash. Couldn't beat a deck with counterspells, and the aggressive decks are too fast.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

EvilBeard posted:

Played it last week. It was trash. Couldn't beat a deck with counterspells, and the aggressive decks are too fast.

The first half is true, the second half is not.

Edit: also it's a trash deck. Tier 3 at best.

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

Mezzanon posted:

Edit: also it's a trash deck. Tier 3 at best.

Speaking of...

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

myDad posted:

Speaking of...

No Congregation at Dawn?

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011

myDad posted:

Speaking of...

What's the glittering wish for?

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

Elyv posted:

No Congregation at Dawn?

Lol divin' deep

uninverted posted:

What's the glittering wish for?

Wear/Tear & Firespout are the big ones, backup Nahiri is nice, Ancient Grudge a solid option

myDad fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Jun 12, 2017

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

myDad posted:

Ancient Grudge a solid option

Uhhhhh

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

someone please stop me from taking this to vegas

please. my family is dying

(15th sideboard card is a toxic deluge, it just isn't here yet)

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

You're not playing enough Deathrites and I can't tell what most of your sideboard cards are.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

i guess i probably should have just written the drat thing up:

4x Delver of Secrets
4x Death's Shadow
3x Deathrite Shaman
3x Gurmag Angler

4x Ponder
4x Brainstorm
4x Gitaxian Probe
4x Stifle
4x Daze
4x Force of Will
2x Dismember
2x Snuff Out
1x Fatal Push

4x Polluted Delta
4x Misty Rainforest
4x Wasteland
2x Underground Sea
1x Tropical Island
1x Watery Grave
1x Island

//SB
3x Thoughtseize
2x Submerge
2x Nausea
1x Winter Orb
1x Pithing Needle
1x Flusterstorm
1x Surgical Extraction
1x Sylvan Library
1x Toxic Deluge
1x Echoing Truth
1x Fatal Push

I'm not sure about the sideboard at all. I think I want to find room for a basic swamp, maybe some more of the flusterstorms and surgicals.

Johnny Five-Jaces fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Jun 12, 2017

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

Looks fun as hell, but why aren't you playing some more shocklands?

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent

i guess i probably should have just written the drat thing up.
I'm not sure how you got this far without realizing Brainstorm is legal in Legacy.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

standard.deviant posted:

I'm not sure how you got this far without realizing Brainstorm is legal in Legacy.

I have no idea why i typed preordain instead of brainstorm, holy moly

Bonus posted:

Looks fun as hell, but why aren't you playing some more shocklands?

There's enough life loss from the removal and probes that I don't really have a problem getting death's shadows turned on. Even the durdliest of durdle town decks have to present me with a snapcaster to point a snuff out at. But, it's also why Sylvan Library is so critical for the UW/x control matchups. It's also good to conceal the joke for as long as possible game 1.

Johnny Five-Jaces fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Jun 12, 2017

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

4x Delver of Secrets
4x Death's Shadow
3x Deathrite Shaman
3x Gurmag Angler

4x Ponder
4x Brainstorm
4x Gitaxian Probe
4x Stifle
4x Daze
4x Force of Will
2x Dismember
2x Snuff Out
1x Fatal Push

4x Polluted Delta
4x Misty Rainforest
4x Wasteland
2x Underground Sea
1x Tropical Island
1x Watery Grave
1x Island

//SB
3x Thoughtseize
2x Submerge
2x Nausea
1x Winter Orb
1x Pithing Needle
1x Flusterstorm
1x Surgical Extraction
1x Sylvan Library
1x Toxic Deluge
1x Echoing Truth
1x Fatal Push

I'm not sure about the sideboard at all. I think I want to find room for a basic swamp, maybe some more of the flusterstorms and surgicals.

Cut Gurmag number 3 for a Phyrexian Dreadnought and Dismember number 2 or Snuff out number 2 for the 4th Deathrite.

instantrunoffvote
Jul 23, 2007

4x Delver of Secrets
4x Death's Shadow
3x Deathrite Shaman
3x Gurmag Angler

4x Ponder
4x Brainstorm
4x Gitaxian Probe
4x Stifle
4x Daze
4x Force of Will
2x Dismember
2x Snuff Out
1x Fatal Push

4x Polluted Delta
4x Misty Rainforest
4x Wasteland
2x Underground Sea
1x Tropical Island
1x Watery Grave
1x Island

//SB
3x Thoughtseize
2x Submerge
2x Nausea
1x Winter Orb
1x Pithing Needle
1x Flusterstorm
1x Surgical Extraction
1x Sylvan Library
1x Toxic Deluge
1x Echoing Truth
1x Fatal Push

I don't have any big picture thoughts about the deck, but Dry Spell might be better than Nausea if you're playing with Death's Shadow.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

instantrunoffvote posted:

I don't have any big picture thoughts about the deck, but Dry Spell might be better than Nausea if you're playing with Death's Shadow.

doing damage as opposed to giving -1/-1 is worse against stuff like mom and TNN (though i don't think it will be in for the TNN matchups anyway)

mcmagic posted:

Cut Gurmag number 3 for a Phyrexian Dreadnought and Dismember number 2 or Snuff out number 2 for the 4th Deathrite.

I have, no poo poo, thought about throwing in a dreadnought

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Just make it old school Legacy play Stiflenought.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

doing damage as opposed to giving -1/-1 is worse against stuff like mom and TNN (though i don't think it will be in for the TNN matchups anyway)

I have, no poo poo, thought about throwing in a dreadnought

I always play 1 whenever I play a Stifle deck. If you get 1 free win with it, it's worth the slot.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Gonna second the question about running Death's Shadow without more shocklands. You're gonna have a hard time controlling your own life total when your only self-harm outlet is a couple of removal spells and Gitaxian Probe.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Also splash for Fire Covenant out of the sideboard.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
TBH, while Snuff Out is really cute, I'm not sure it's something a Death's Shadow deck necessarily wants to be running. You aren't just trying to nuke yourself at every opportunity - your life total is a resource to be managed, and you need to be able to consistently get yourself low when you need to, but also be able to function without damaging yourself once you've reached that point. Tying your self-damage in big chunks to removal spells is going to put you in awkward situations where sometimes your Shadows get stuck in your hand because there aren't targets and then other times you're going to have to pay four life to kill a Delver when you're already low and then die to a bolt.

1-2 Snuffs I could see the argument for just because they cost 0 mana and kill a bunch of big dumb things don't get answered by most removal (though not Griselbrand), but just run Push + Shocklands instead of Dismember.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Voyager I posted:

TBH, while Snuff Out is really cute, I'm not sure it's something a Death's Shadow deck necessarily wants to be running. You aren't just trying to nuke yourself at every opportunity - your life total is a resource to be managed, and you need to be able to consistently get yourself low when you need to, but also be able to function without damaging yourself once you've reached that point. Tying your self-damage in big chunks to removal spells is going to put you in awkward situations where sometimes your Shadows get stuck in your hand because there aren't targets and then other times you're going to have to pay four life to kill a Delver when you're already low and then die to a bolt.

Voyager I posted:

Gonna second the question about running Death's Shadow without more shocklands. You're gonna have a hard time controlling your own life total when your only self-harm outlet is a couple of removal spells and Gitaxian Probe.

thinking emoji

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
My teammate got 31st at the open this weekend with Gw elves! We all helped each other the night before at the hotel with sideboards and sideboard guides and it's always good to see a teammate do well. Also chameleon colossus was awesome every time it came in and won games against grixis shadow players. Two of the guys tried gw tron, one lost his win-and-in for day 2, the other didn't do as well. I tried abzan company and started off 3-0 but got stormed on twice and then lost 2 more after that. Companied 4 times in one game and never saw ooze or eidolon. Had a fun weekend though, SCG events are always well run.

http://sales.starcitygames.com//deckdatabase/displaydeck.php?DeckID=114135

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

Fingers McLongDong posted:

My teammate got 31st at the open this weekend with Gw elves! We all helped each other the night before at the hotel with sideboards and sideboard guides and it's always good to see a teammate do well. Also chameleon colossus was awesome every time it came in and won games against grixis shadow players. Two of the guys tried gw tron, one lost his win-and-in for day 2, the other didn't do as well. I tried abzan company and started off 3-0 but got stormed on twice and then lost 2 more after that. Companied 4 times in one game and never saw ooze or eidolon. Had a fun weekend though, SCG events are always well run.

http://sales.starcitygames.com//deckdatabase/displaydeck.php?DeckID=114135

Nice! That list is pretty sweet too (Mirror Entity!!)

teddust
Feb 27, 2007

Why does Nettle Sentinel see play in so many Modern Elves decklists? Without Glimpse and Symbiote it seems like it is extremely rare for it to generate much more mana than any random 1 drop, and Modern has the untap forests elf (if you run a fetch and forest manabase) and the snow mana elf as alternatives in the 1 drop.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Nettle Sentinel + Heritage Druid is what lets you dump your hand on turn 2 and be set up to overrun for lethal on turn 3 or 4. It's much better to have a card that's sometimes an explosive powerhouse and sometimes not than it is to have a card that's always mediocre.

Being a 2/2 is also relevant in a lot of matchups.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

BaronVonVaderham posted:

I crossed the 2/3 foiled out mark on my Cube this week. I'd say I'll turn it into a downpayment on a house one day, but even if I sold out of this game, you know I'd keep this stupid thing.

In other news, I got scammed on a re-backed lotus, hence my post in the trade thread looking for other power. Thank loving christ for paypal's buyer protection, though; this is why you don't send poo poo F&F.

I already lined up a replacement though. Buying a minty one from Chris VanMeter of all people. He's a really chill dude, happy to wait for my refund from this debacle to resolve.

Yeah I might cash out to get another house down payment soon. Stupid magic.

Tortilla Maker
Dec 13, 2005
Un Desmadre A Toda Madre

Cactrot posted:

I'm having trouble picking a deck for Vegas,. I had initially planned to play Burn in both Legacy and Modern, but Legacy burn is really bad/hard to win with and I haven't had much luck with it in Modern lately either, so I'm starting to get cold feet. I've got a number of decks available, but most of them are real bad in both formats.

For Modern I've got Burn, Infect, Dredge and Merfolk and for Legacy it's the same list sans Dredge, but I've got no chalices for Merfolk which makes it harder to play.
Care to post your Modern Burn list?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

http://deck.tk/9gi66BCX