Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
AM2R was a passion project that the guy released for free without trying to monetize and there was no indication that Nintendo gave a poo poo about Metroid anymore. It's ok for that guy to be a little salty about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Also use of Zero Mission and Fusion assets in AM2R's case. I've never seen Uranium but I wouldn't be surprised if it's the same deal.

well again, all those fans and mods do the same.

It's just that those people don't try to earn the press of major gaming sites and poise themselves in competition to the people at Nintendo. Likewise, the Sonic fan games community don't try to compete with Sega. Maybe a few of them get moderate buzz but there's no one like saying "Hey, this one person put Mighty and Shadow in Sonic 1, you should play that instead of Mania."

bloodychill posted:

AM2R was a passion project that the guy released for free without trying to monetize and there was no indication that Nintendo gave a poo poo about Metroid anymore. It's ok for that guy to be a little salty about it.

The creator of AM2R hasn't said anything about Samus Returns and when he took his game down he went "hey guys, you should still support Nintendo."

Alvin Earthworm and the various people we're discussing have nothing to do with that project.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Phantasium posted:

A reminder that when the Super Mario Crossover guy wanted to make a game that they could actually, you know sell, they did this.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=825074684

i wonder if he has ulterior motives :thunk:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Phantasium posted:

A reminder that when the Super Mario Crossover guy wanted to make a game that they could actually, you know sell, they did this.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=825074684

I can only assume that if this ever comes out it'll be because Nintendo just doesn't care since while parody is allowed, that game doesn't even try to hide that it's just using stolen and modified (or not, in some cases) assets. :psyduck:

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Evil Fluffy posted:

I can only assume that if this ever comes out it'll be because Nintendo just doesn't care since while parody is allowed, that game doesn't even try to hide that it's just using stolen and modified (or not, in some cases) assets. :psyduck:

that looks aggressively unfun

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
The best argument for video games not being art is that no one sends cease and desist letters for fan films.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

why are people so mad at metroid scantron 2017

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

The best argument for video games not being art is that no one sends cease and desist letters for fan films.

what?

yes they do

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

AlphaKeny1 posted:

why are people so mad at metroid scantron 2017

Number 2 pencils are some bullshit

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

TFRazorsaw posted:

The creator of AM2R hasn't said anything about Samus Returns and when he took his game down he went "hey guys, you should still support Nintendo."

Alvin Earthworm and the various people we're discussing have nothing to do with that project.

It is related insomuch that one of sentiments that came out during the CAD issue was that Nintendo had squandered some good will with their fans and now we're just seeing the fruits of that. It was entirely within Nintendo's rights to do it but still came off kinda lovely since at the same time Sega was pushing fans use their assets to create things while making more Sonic games themselves.

All that said, you know these guys are gonna buy the new Metroid games anyway. Cue ModernWarfare2BoycottDotJPG.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Crazy for Nintendo to steal this guy's idea of remaking a game they already made, using assets they made. How dare they.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

It's super unfortunate that a 10 year project by a fan to remake an old metroid game got C&D'd because Nintendo was making their own remake of the same game at the same time. And that's gotta blow for the guy who worked on it.

Weird that it's only been other people talking about how Nintendo hosed the game over and stole the idea for themselves though.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

bloodychill posted:

It is related insomuch that one of sentiments that came out during the CAD issue was that Nintendo had squandered some good will with their fans and now we're just seeing the fruits of that. It was entirely within Nintendo's rights to do it but still came off kinda lovely since at the same time Sega was pushing fans use their assets to create things while making more Sonic games themselves.

All that said, you know these guys are gonna buy the new Metroid games anyway. Cue ModernWarfare2BoycottDotJPG.

The Sonic fan game community existed without Sega's involvement, and again, Christian Whitehead got the job working on official Sonic titles because he actively worked for it and approached Sega with his retro engine. Sega didn't push anything, they just didn't interfere with a community that was already self aware of what it was. What you're describing is a romanticized distortion.

the most Sega ever did to acknowledge the fan game scene uninitiated was when Ruby Eclipse/noted meme lord Aaron Webber showed up at Sonic Fan Games Expo of his own violition in 2010.

Nodosaur fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Jun 14, 2017

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

As irrelevant YouTube star Woolie once said, if you're making a fan game shut the gently caress up about it and don't tell anyone until you're done!

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
Nintendo bags poo poo all the time, it's just part of protecting the IP which is something you legally have to do to keep it western legal circles. They also usually throw down when the game gets released and becomes mysteriously accessible on the internet.

Weird.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Policenaut posted:

As irrelevant YouTube star Woolie once said, if you're making a fan game shut the gently caress up about it and don't tell anyone until you're done!

You reminded me when some fans were making that full on 3D remake of Chrono Trigger and showing off screenshots and poo poo and they got C&D'd hard and fast and that was that.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

It's super unfortunate that a 10 year project by a fan to remake an old metroid game got C&D'd because Nintendo was making their own remake of the same game at the same time. And that's gotta blow for the guy who worked on it.

Weird that it's only been other people talking about how Nintendo hosed the game over and stole the idea for themselves though.

The guy did finish and release it though so it can't a huge blow for him. It's not like he could have made money from it. It's still easy to find too unless you're an absolute idiot at Google.

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

8-bit Miniboss posted:

You reminded me when some fans were making that full on 3D remake of Chrono Trigger and showing off screenshots and poo poo and they got C&D'd hard and fast and that was that.

Part of it was they were using that to advertise a 3d engine they wanted to sell.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Ohtsam posted:

Part of it was they were using that to advertise a 3d engine they wanted to sell.

Hah, that makes it even better.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

TFRazorsaw posted:

The Sonic fan game community existed without Sega's involvement, and again, Christian Whitehead got the job working on official Sonic titles because he actively worked for it and approached Sega with his retro engine. Sega didn't push anything, they just didn't interfere with a community that was already self aware of what it was. What you're describing is a romanticized distortion.

the most Sega ever did to acknowledge the fan game's scene uninitiated was when Ruby Eclipse showed up at Sonic Fan Games Expo of his own violition in 2010.

How is it romanticized? They acknowledged fan involvement and didn't do a thing to stop it. Incidentally, Sega is still selling Sonic games and the trademark police haven't come around to stop them since they let modders make Sonic games with their old assets.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004
I hope Nintendo doesn't steal this little game I'm working on. It's called Super Mario World for the SNES.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

bloodychill posted:

How is it romanticized? They acknowledged fan involvement and didn't do a thing to stop it. Incidentally, Sega is still selling Sonic games and the trademark police haven't come around to stop them since they let modders make Sonic games with their old assets.

Yeah but when was the last time Sega put out a good Sonic game? They were probably hoping SOMEONE out there remembered how.

THAT WAS A JOKE! PUT THE KNIVES AWAY! THAT WAS A JOKE!

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Watching the Samus Returns trailer again and I approve of that melee mechanic. Fighting the harder Metroids could get annoying/tedious in the original and even AM2R so it's nice to see that addressed.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

bloodychill posted:

Again, the is a HUGE community of Pokemon fan game modders out there and they communicate very publicly on forums and Nintendo hasn't done anything to them as far as I know.

It was when Pokemon Uranium got attention from the press and people were talking about giving it awards and industry people were going "Is this going to affect the sales of Pokemon Sun and Moon?" that they shut that particular title down.

(it was also terrible)

Likewise, AM2R was not only receiving similar attention, Nintendo was actively working on a remake of Metroid 2 themselves.

Do you honestly think Sega would be as hands off if someone were trying to not only push their own Sonic fan game but there were posts on Kotaku or other game news sites saying "This is a serious competitor with Sonic Mania and it shows just how much more passionate this fanbase is than Sega"?

Because they'd nuke that thing from orbit.

It's also romanticized because Sega doesn't encourage it, they just largely ignore it and the only people who have come to actively work for them took it upon themselves to try and get the jobs they have.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

oh word?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Wasn't Freedom Planet originally a Sonic game that got C&D'ed or something?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Wasn't Freedom Planet originally a Sonic game that got C&D'ed or something?

No, they made the decision to become an original property of their own volition.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

TFRazorsaw posted:

Sega would be as hands off if someone were trying to not only push their own Sonic fan game but there were posts on Kotaku or other game news sites saying "This is a serious competitor with Sonic Mania and it shows just how much more passionate this fanbase is than Sega"?

Who the gently caress knows

Fly with me
Aug 19, 2006

Single-handedly repopulating the Earth.

Yes they do.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Sega also shut down the streets of rage remake

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

bloodychill posted:

Who the gently caress knows

well in fairness to you, it's not like they have shut down fan projects before, or-

http://www.wired.co.uk/article/sega-shuts-down-streets-of-rage-remake

Oh.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Hey I just woke up what have I missed since after the 2D Metroid was announced

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

I don't care if there's a button that tells me where every item is because Metroid isn't about exploration, it's about speed. You can't start playing for real until you have the map memorized anyway, so a scanner just cuts down on the number of playthroughs you have to do before you can starting getting into the swing of things.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Eew. I just watched the Xenoblade 2 trailer and it made me wonder if I misremembered how much I liked the first one.

Do we know if it brings anything significant and new to the table? Or is it just different content with similar sensibilities, which were very refreshing way back when?

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Argue posted:

Hey I just woke up what have I missed since after the 2D Metroid was announced

You missed goons endlessly bickering about dumb poo poo for a dozen pages. Please give us your own hot take on whether a scan button is leading to the downfall of classic video gaming.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Nalin posted:

You missed goons endlessly bickering about dumb poo poo for a dozen pages. Please give us your own hot take on whether a scan button is leading to the downfall of classic video gaming.

i for one miss the halcyon days from before when i knew about the arbitrary code execution credits warp in super mario world, because i'm physically incapable of completing the game in anything but the fastest and most efficient manner available to me and haven't seen anything outside of world 1-1 since 2015

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Yeah that thought was half-formed.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I don't really understand what Mario Odyssey is. With Zelda they wanted to make a big open world game and they succeeded. This looks like they wanted to make an open world mario but had no idea what to do and it's all just thrown together. Also, all the surfaces in that frozen desert world reminded me of marshmallow peeps and made me feel sick.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

so the AM2R developer weighed in on Samus Returns and y'all can stop being outraged on his behalf

https://twitter.com/AM2Rgame/status/874701004092166145

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Cojawfee posted:

I don't really understand what Mario Odyssey is. With Zelda they wanted to make a big open world game and they succeeded. This looks like they wanted to make an open world mario but had no idea what to do and it's all just thrown together. Also, all the surfaces in that frozen desert world reminded me of marshmallow peeps and made me feel sick.

It's a game where you harvest moons in order to travel to more worlds. And then possess beings and objects from those worlds.

• Locked thread