Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.
Still don't think it'll be a complete wipe.

Hopefully thei don't focus exclusively on Kuga's match. Need me some o' dat copycat jutsu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

if they deny us rindou i'm getting on a plane

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

mimasaka will attempt to copy sword guy but will realise he doesnt actually own a sword and is therefore hosed

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

where the red fern gropes posted:

mimasaka will attempt to copy sword guy but will realise he doesnt actually own a sword and is therefore hosed
Isn't Mimasaka a somewhat showy rich kid? I'm guessing that buying a sword similar to the sword guy's one shouldn't be out of his league.

MGTen
Aug 9, 2008
Megishima will get destroyed by Rindou to show off how crazy skilled she is. It's why they showed him destroying his last opponent so thoroughly.

Kuga will lose to Tsukasa in order to set up the whole "vengeance for my comrade" trope, most likely with Soma facing off with Tsukasa since they foreshadowed it so much (especially by explicitly comparing Kuga and Soma in terms of their rivalry with Tsukasa).

Mimasaka will win to prove he's no longer the same as when he faced Soma. It's why he's matched up against someone who "always follows the way of cooking I believe in". This will set up Mimasaka to face off with Momo later, since he grew up in a shop specializing in cakes.

Those are my predictions anyway!

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

It'd be weird to have Soma beat the first seat after having utterly lost to him in a non serious shokugeki

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Aurora posted:

It'd be weird to have Soma beat the first seat after having utterly lost to him in a non serious shokugeki

Yeah, but that was before he trained on a literal train.

I'd be fine with Erina or Megumi beating him instead, but it basically has to come down to Tsukasa VS Soma because this is a Shonen Jump manga.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

I don't think cooking on a train would just make your cooking skill rise to the level of the first seat of the Elite Ten

Like Soma's projected goal is being on the Elite Ten and if he can beat the current first seat there's not a whole lot that could beat him at school otherwise

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Aurora posted:

I don't think cooking on a train would just make your cooking skill rise to the level of the first seat of the Elite Ten

Like Soma's projected goal is being on the Elite Ten and if he can beat the current first seat there's not a whole lot that could beat him at school otherwise

That's why they set up the BLUE competition with his dad's flashback, it's the logical place to go once they've burned their way through the Elite 10.

Aug 24, 2011

Aurora posted:

somas goal is actually to beat his dad and the reason he'll beat the first seat will be the pissy reason of "well you got the top spot and didnt have anything to strive for so you stopped improving"

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Hasn't Tsukasa always been insanely talented? I remember one omake where he was in like late elementary or middle school and he met Rindou and the whole reason she started buddying up with him was because he always got the teachers depressed with his utterly superior cooking and she found it super cool.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Aurora posted:

He'll get by with a little help from his friends.

That's why the author made that rule where you can help with dishes, it gives an out. This whole arc is basically about doing that but for Azami.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

MGTen posted:

Megishima will get destroyed by Rindou to show off how crazy skilled she is. It's why they showed him destroying his last opponent so thoroughly.

Kuga will lose to Tsukasa in order to set up the whole "vengeance for my comrade" trope, most likely with Soma facing off with Tsukasa since they foreshadowed it so much (especially by explicitly comparing Kuga and Soma in terms of their rivalry with Tsukasa).

Mimasaka will win to prove he's no longer the same as when he faced Soma. It's why he's matched up against someone who "always follows the way of cooking I believe in". This will set up Mimasaka to face off with Momo later, since he grew up in a shop specializing in cakes.

Those are my predictions anyway!

I agree with the first 2, but Mimasaka will also lose because even if he wins his match, he'll have to face Rindou or Tsukasa afterwards. At least, that's how I think the competition is set up.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.

where the red fern gropes posted:

somas goal is actually to beat his dad and the reason he'll beat the first seat will be the pissy reason of "well you got the top spot and didnt have anything to strive for so you stopped improving"

This is very likely, yes.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

That's actually some good reasoning.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
tsukasa is a perfectionist who is constantly improving his craft, though.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Yes but his style of cooking is literally "let the ingredients speak", i.e. he always cooks in the best way to bring out the taste of the ingredients. There's nothing of himself in his cooking. Technically perfect and absolutely flawless, but at the same time empty and soulless.

Whereas Souma's expressing himself through his cooking. And I'm willing to bet this difference is what'll cost Tsukasa the win in his inevitable defeat against Souma.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Mikl posted:

Yes but his style of cooking is literally "let the ingredients speak", i.e. he always cooks in the best way to bring out the taste of the ingredients. There's nothing of himself in his cooking. Technically perfect and absolutely flawless, but at the same time empty and soulless.

Whereas Souma's expressing himself through his cooking. And I'm willing to bet this difference is what'll cost Tsukasa the win in his inevitable defeat against Souma.

Megumi should be the one to defeat him for that reason tbh. Use whatever BS help rules and justifications. but yeah.

Souma can cook against food hitler after his dad loses.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Dexo posted:

Megumi should be the one to defeat him for that reason tbh. Use whatever BS help rules and justifications. but yeah.

I mean I'm fully expecting that it ends up being two or three against a lone Tsukasa who makes a very good dish that doesn't stand up to the multiple personalities shown through the team's dish

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
The dads are just coaches why do people think they're going to food off

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

TheKingofSprings posted:

You can't expect Food Hitler to keep his word, so an outside force may be needed to intervene.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

TheKingofSprings posted:

every single other shounen manga i've ever read, mostly

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110
Every other shonen manga makes me think food hitler gonna kill somas dad

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Dexo posted:

Megumi's gimmick is hospitality and comfort food which is not as diametrically opposed to his cooking as Soma's is.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Death Bot posted:

Every other shonen manga makes me think food hitler gonna kill somas dad
I dunno: Food Hitler seems like a whiny little poo poo who's still mentally stuck in High School rhetoric and high off the smell of his own turds. OTOH, while some of the rowdier, "Asura of Cookery" aspects of his personality are still alive and well (the 3 vs 3 he had against Doujima kinda demonstrated this), Yukihidad seems to have mellowed out a great deal and knows that what his dumb former kouhai needs more than anything is a good, hard metaphorical (or perhaps literal) bitch-slap to the face. He knows, however, that it's not "his place" to do that unless his son and co. are found wanting. Which is very unlikely to happen because, make no mistake, I very much enjoy this manga, but it's a fairly standard Jump manga in a crapload of aspects, not the least of which is narrative.

If there's a twist and the Rebels lose and Yukihidad goes back on his word and challenges Azami, he IS totally gonna curb-stomp Food Hitler in the most profoundly awesome shokugeki this manga will show. We will get to experience foodgasms, through the pages and, if we read while eating, our lunch will go through a metamorphosis to become whatever a character might be cooking / tasting. Alice will say something dumb and cute without a hint of shame (because that's what makes her best girl) and the rest of the school will get de-brainwashed, Souma will recognize he's nowhere near ready to kick his dad's rear end, and Erina will go full dere. You WILL ALL GO FULL DERE. :colbert:

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

man holy poo poo y'all like to project on azami like a MOTHERFUCKER huh

we have been given absolutely no evidence that i can recall that he's secretly some whiny lovely chef behind all his bullshit, he was third seat in his first year

like he's a bad loving dude, but christ, the idea that he'll fold like a wet sack the moment he's directly challenged goes against all shounen narrative

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Patware posted:

man holy poo poo y'all like to project on azami like a MOTHERFUCKER huh

we have been given absolutely no evidence that i can recall that he's secretly some whiny lovely chef behind all his bullshit, he was third seat in his first year

like he's a bad loving dude, but christ, the idea that he'll fold like a wet sack the moment he's directly challenged goes against all shounen narrative

Oh no he's foodswole as hell, just that he's probably lovely next to Jou.

They're all lovely next to Jou.

MGTen
Aug 9, 2008
In my opinion, if Azami steps in, it would probably be to defeat Soma (most likely after Soma beats Tsukasa) and somehow end in an Erina vs. Azami match.

Also, I would love to see Eizan face Megumi and get beat down. The reactions would be incredible.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I figure Takumi has to win his match whenever that is because he lost to Mimisaka way back when and hasn't done much since and I hope beyond hope Megumi wins too because she owns

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
eizan is a chump, so really i just hope he doesn't face souma. the outcome would be even more obvious than kuga vs. tsukasa. if his role is to be a loser who makes someone else look good, then other characters need it way more than souma.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Wark Say posted:

I dunno: Food Hitler seems like a whiny little poo poo who's still mentally stuck in High School rhetoric and high off the smell of his own turds. OTOH, while some of the rowdier, "Asura of Cookery" aspects of his personality are still alive and well (the 3 vs 3 he had against Doujima kinda demonstrated this), Yukihidad seems to have mellowed out a great deal and knows that what his dumb former kouhai needs more than anything is a good, hard metaphorical (or perhaps literal) bitch-slap to the face. He knows, however, that it's not "his place" to do that unless his son and co. are found wanting. Which is very unlikely to happen because, make no mistake, I very much enjoy this manga, but it's a fairly standard Jump manga in a crapload of aspects, not the least of which is narrative.

If there's a twist and the Rebels lose and Yukihidad goes back on his word and challenges Azami, he IS totally gonna curb-stomp Food Hitler in the most profoundly awesome shokugeki this manga will show. We will get to experience foodgasms, through the pages and, if we read while eating, our lunch will go through a metamorphosis to become whatever a character might be cooking / tasting. Alice will say something dumb and cute without a hint of shame (because that's what makes her best girl) and the rest of the school will get de-brainwashed, Souma will recognize he's nowhere near ready to kick his dad's rear end, and Erina will go full dere. You WILL ALL GO FULL DERE. :colbert:

I meant, like, with a gun or a cool jutsu

Aug 24, 2011

azami will remove his face to reveal he was mimasaka all along

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

eizan is a chump, so really i just hope he doesn't face souma. the outcome would be even more obvious than kuga vs. tsukasa. if his role is to be a loser who makes someone else look good, then other characters need it way more than souma.

Eizan is probably better then Nene.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

TheKingofSprings posted:

Oh no he's foodswole as hell, just that he's probably lovely next to Jou.

They're all lovely next to Jou.
Yeah, this is what I meant. Didn't mean to diss on Azami's culinary strength. It's just that my theory is that not only Souma got better by way of constantly competing with his dad, but it also helped Jouichiro keep his skills sharp / improve them when he saw Souma "leveling up" as he grew older. It would also play nicely in the whole "Awesome Dad / lovely Dad" relationship Azami and Jouichiro have with their kids (while something of a troll towards his son as far as cooking goes, Yukihidad and Souma had an otherwise healthy father/son relationship, while Azami tried passing his "ONE TRUE CUISINE" bullshit to his daughter to the point that he ended up being both physically and emotionally abusive, scarring lil' Erina).

So while Azami might be no pushover and he'd certainly make a good opponent otherwise, I think that Jouichiro is like the Hiko Seijuro XIII of the setting: A chill dude who's content with doing his own thing, but tick him off and you're in for an rear end-beating.

Wark Say fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Jun 14, 2017

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Death Bot posted:

Man, if you read Assassination Classroom you'd know that there's no more delicious a dish than one eaten with a gun.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I don't think Azami is that much of a sore loser.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

This is the part of the shonen comic where the villain kills the protags dad, then a time skip, then the protag comes back with That Dish

Aug 24, 2011

Gyges posted:

Man, if you read Assassination Classroom you'd know that there's no more delicious a dish than one eaten with a gun.

pistol whip

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Death Bot posted:

Gyges posted:

Guess people really want someone to eat lead, huh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Make the food-dads kiss