Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Where's Scrap Brain Zone, damnit! Robotnik's first base!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

in the ground where it belongs

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Kelp Plankton posted:

are there more sonic games with green hill zone in them or more without it in them?
I think there's like six

But two of them are out this year is sort of the thing, so you know, superfluous doesn't sound like a word we should use

Then again when mania comes out in august gonna install it, finish the first two zones and the third will be Sky Sanctuary and no one will understand why I'm screaming

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

TFRazorsaw posted:

I don't think it's neccessarily time travel. I mean.

None of those characters have gone anywhere. They still exist in universe. They're all known quantities that Eggman can recruit, rebuild, or otherwise press into his service somehow.

What I'm seeing on TVtropes, at least, is that Eggman somehow punted Classic Sonic into the future, thereby removing him from history past that point. Without Sonic in the way, he was able to effortlessly take over the world.

Modern Sonic apparently managed to avoid being Rippled out of the timeline... somehow, but apparently nobody remembers him.

Again, :tvtropes: so, you know.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
It's an alternate timeline where Self-Insert Character attempts to live out his Sonic fantasies and utterly fails to stop every one of Eggman's schemes because he's a huge loser.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Shadowlyger posted:

What I'm seeing on TVtropes, at least, is that Eggman somehow punted Classic Sonic into the future, thereby removing him from history past that point. Without Sonic in the way, he was able to effortlessly take over the world.

Modern Sonic apparently managed to avoid being Rippled out of the timeline... somehow, but apparently nobody remembers him.

Again, :tvtropes: so, you know.

well, I mean, TVTropes

is there anything OFFICIAL stating all that? Because everyone seems to remember Sonic in the opening stage's radio conversations and Eggman is already wrecking things in that.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

The only official stuff refers to Classic Sonic as being from another universe, not the past

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

I had the opportunity to play Sonic Mania today at E3 and had to brag. We had the choice between Green Hill and Mirage Saloon as any of the three characters. I chose GHZ as Sonic. My sister did Mirage Saloon as Knuckles.

It's great, you guys. The GHZ act 2 boss is well-done. My sister really enjoyed the theme of Mirage Saloon. Just like we hoped, it feels like a proper classic Sonic game.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Spiderdrake posted:

I think there's like six

But two of them are out this year is sort of the thing, so you know, superfluous doesn't sound like a word we should use

Then again when mania comes out in august gonna install it, finish the first two zones and the third will be Sky Sanctuary and no one will understand why I'm screaming

flying battery is the sonic and knuckles zone tho?

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

I hope the Sonic 3 level is Carnival Nights. I want to see what kind of gimmicks Taxy comes up with for that.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Robotnik Nudes posted:

I hope the Sonic 3 level is Carnival Nights. I want to see what kind of gimmicks Taxy comes up with for that.

the boss of the first act is the barrel, transforming into a death machine

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

TFRazorsaw posted:

the boss of the first act is the barrel, transforming into a death machine

You joke, but Mr. Whitehead would absolutely include some kind of terrible barrel. Even if it's not in Carnival Nights, I fully expect a terrible barrel cameo somewhere in Mania.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

I'm very jealous of all the fine people getting to play those demos of these fine new games featuring my boy, Mr. The Hedgehog.

It has convinced me to go ahead and just get a used tv and PlayStation or switch off Craigslist though, first console since the GameCube.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
The Carnival Night barrel was absolutely not an issue and anyone who thinks otherwise should put down the controller and meditate one where his life went so wrong.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

that is CORRECT, news reporter

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
That will be my new explanation for my sudden push for fitness and working out.

I've got the Sonic mania, just wanna join the Sonic force...s.....& Knuckles.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Shadowlyger posted:

That would make sense, in its own way - they're the same Sonic, so if classic Sonic still exists then modern Sonic could still be anchored to him and avoid being erased.

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Likchenpa.

Spiderdrake posted:

I think there's like six

From joy?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
The vocals in the Avatar Stage in that Forces vid are fun and catchy.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Beasteh posted:

Time spent jogging is time not spent playing Sonic games. Let Sonic be the fast one -- it is up to us to play his games, and to avoid the sun, and suffer for his greater glory.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

CJacobs posted:

It's Schrodinger's Sonic Game. It both is and isn't Deviantart until the first character starts inexplicably inflating.

Here's an interesting thing I learned about hedgehogs after doing a bit of research on them. Hedgehogs can actually suffer from a disease called balloon syndrome in which gas builds up under the skin and they literally inflate like a balloon and become the size of a beach ball. It's unique to hedgehogs because they have very loose skin due to their ability to roll into a ball. You kind of have to poke a hole in them and let the air out or else they'll die. So maybe deviant art is on to something, because inflating hedgehogs is a thing that actually happens in real life.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-40252983

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

"Please stop talking about the super emeralds, we don't give a poo poo anymore."

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Golden Goat posted:

"Please stop talking about the super emeralds, we don't give a poo poo anymore."

"We're going to keep talking about them until you give back Hyper Sonic."

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Emeralds are uncool.

These days it's all about the cubes

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Golden Goat posted:

Emeralds are uncool.

These days it's all about the cubes

CUBES!!!!1111

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

TFRazorsaw posted:

CUBES!!!!1111

See Cubez the Edgehot gets it.

Actual Sonic Forces chat, it's super serious tone is bad and I will enjoy the poo poo outta it.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
We're going to take his cubes and make Jemeralds out of them!

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
Here are some solid looks at the Chemical Plant zones. The layout of Zone 2 is really weird, you're mostly trying to move upward, zigzagging left and right as you go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52UGIIIp9WE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AG6z9E6_LA8&t=1s

Il Federale
Oct 10, 2012

Glad to see they kept the classic drowning music.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I don't think Forces will be especially serious tbh. The series has been pretty jokey-joke from the games themselves to PR for a while now.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Motto posted:

I don't think Forces will be especially serious tbh. The series has been pretty jokey-joke from the games themselves to PR for a while now.

Plus as far as I know it's still being written by the guys behind Colors and onward, I doubt we're going full on '06 level over-seriousness any time soon (nor should it in my opinion, the basic concept of the Sonic franchise is essentially a Saturday morning cartoon plot and should be treated as such).

Off the subject, I don't know if we've heard her in gameplay footage or not but I kind of hope they stick with Amy's Sonic Boom voice from now on rather than going back to the Minnie Mouse-esque voice she had in the previous few games.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Larryb posted:

Off the subject, I don't know if we've heard her in gameplay footage or not but I kind of hope they stick with Amy's Sonic Boom voice from now on rather than going back to the Minnie Mouse-esque voice she had in the previous few games.
She talks about 3 minutes into the 7 minute trailer on IGN. I think it's her boom voice or closer to it. Probably the latter.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

amy and all of the characters minus eggman have had the same voice actors since colors and free riders

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

Beasteh posted:

I can't believe beep by grandpa got interviewed on national TV.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

sharrrk posted:

amy and all of the characters minus eggman have had the same voice actors since colors and free riders

I realize that, but they did give her a different voice direction in the Boom series which in my opinion sounds much better (and having just seen the gameplay trailer for Sonic Forces, apparently has been carried over to the main series as well, which is good).

Speaking of which, Forces doesn't really look that terrible so far at least from a gameplay perspective (the constant in-game chatter could potentially get annoying though, it is a bit more subdued than say, Sonic Heroes at least).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Jun 15, 2017

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/SegaSky/status/875136763001356288
https://twitter.com/Tracker_TD/status/875149332089118720
https://twitter.com/cigardoesart/status/875150091857915905

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
They should add a one-off villain from Sonic 06 to that line-up, too. Elise.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Sanic, or the 120 Days of Sodom

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Discendo Vox posted:

They should add a one-off villain from Sonic 06 to that line-up, too. Elise.

Bring back Erazor Djinn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
The villain from Sonic and the Black Knight had an awesome theme.