Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

Alxprit posted:

The inverted colors are used for dead characters.
The colorless ones are used for petrified characters.
Is there a way those can actually show up in FF5A though?

Is it some deal where their art tools just make these automatically, and they just stuffed it in the ROM because they didn't need to worry about size..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

morallyobjected posted:

how far are you? eventually you get headlights that make it so that doesn't happen

Chapter 7

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I think the headlight quest is optional so if you've been skipping the ones Cindy's been giving you you won't get them.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

i love that trailer for FF12 because it makes the game seem paced reasonably but instead if youve played it is a grim teminder of how long a gap between story there is in it.

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I finished FFXV last weekend and on the whole I enjoyed it and it somehow managed to stick the landing after the story disappeared up its own rear end. Its a trainwreck but it's a beautiful, fun trainwreck, and I don't know how else to describe what happened.

I enjoyed it despite it being pretty bad, probably at least in part out of a desire to want it to be better. Seeds of good ideas or promise that is never delivered upon but still somehow works. Inexplicably. I even went back and did the Gladiolus DLC and had a good enough time with it that I'll probably pick up the others when/if they're released.

God what a beautiful mess.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Sakurazuka posted:

I think the headlight quest is optional so if you've been skipping the ones Cindy's been giving you you won't get them.

I've been doing most of the sidequests, but I might have missed it if I got it since most of the poo poo I get from these sidequests isn't really notable. It's still a dumb mechanic tbh and the fact it's in the game at all and is as frequent as it is is obnoxious.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
so please educate me: what's the chances of an ff15 pc port announcement at e3?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

The White Dragon posted:

so please educate me: what's the chances of an ff15 pc port announcement at e3?

I'm expecting there won't be one announced until they finish all the DLC for it. I'm guessing the PC announcement will be either late this year or some time next year, possibly at the same time they announce the port for the FF12 remaster.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
What's the timing plan on the rest of the 15 DLC btw? I've let it sit on my shelf because of everyone saying just wait for the DLC because it adds middle chapters and there's enough other games to play but I am slightly dying inside not being totally up to date on my my final fantasy.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

zedprime posted:

What's the timing plan on the rest of the 15 DLC btw? I've let it sit on my shelf because of everyone saying just wait for the DLC because it adds middle chapters and there's enough other games to play but I am slightly dying inside not being totally up to date on my my final fantasy.

Just go ahead and play it. They've already added the late in the game "explanations" and additional cutscenes. At this point it's pretty much done.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Fran sounds completely different uncompressed. I always thought she had a lisp.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

zedprime posted:

The ending is the most important bit, and it's fun enough to justify a replay if they get around to finishing it. :v:

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Man I wish they would gently caress off with the 2 characters from each game thing for Dissidia. I know they'd end up with roster bloat, but I've been replaying FF6 lately and that game needs better representation for sure. Sabin would be fun as hell, Shadow too, hell Mog would make a great gimmick character. You could palette swap Celes for Terra and give her some slightly different abilities.

I know it's nostalgia talking but it will always be my favorite cast.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

DrNutt posted:

Man I wish they would gently caress off with the 2 characters from each game thing for Dissidia. I know they'd end up with roster bloat, but I've been replaying FF6 lately and that game needs better representation for sure. Sabin would be fun as hell, Shadow too, hell Mog would make a great gimmick character. You could palette swap Celes for Terra and give her some slightly different abilities.

I know it's nostalgia talking but it will always be my favorite cast.

It's good as hell, friend. They would be more fun in a game like Dissidia than the cast of VII (I bet they could make Cait Sith work, but I digress.) Story-wise, I much prefer VII's characters. But in a fighting game, I think VI and IX could basically fill a roster on their own.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Now I want SE to make a FF9 sequel that's a fighting game.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Cinnamon Bear posted:

I finished FFXV last weekend and on the whole I enjoyed it and it somehow managed to stick the landing after the story disappeared up its own rear end. Its a trainwreck but it's a beautiful, fun trainwreck, and I don't know how else to describe what happened.

I enjoyed it despite it being pretty bad, probably at least in part out of a desire to want it to be better. Seeds of good ideas or promise that is never delivered upon but still somehow works. Inexplicably. I even went back and did the Gladiolus DLC and had a good enough time with it that I'll probably pick up the others when/if they're released.

God what a beautiful mess.

I was actually thinking about FF15 the other day. This year I finished Nier Automata and Persona 5 which both pulled off the JRPG much, much better than FF15 could hope to in different ways - but for some reason I'm still really fond of FF15.

I think Beautiful Mess is a good way to describe it. I should go back and get the platinum, I;m only missing the survival 10 one.

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

Mega64 posted:

Ehrgeiz II: The Fighters' Beyond Heaven

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

CeallaSo posted:

Ehrgeiz II: The Fighters' Beyond Heaven

Oh man I hope it has more stats based on what kind of diet your character has.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I was actually thinking about FF15 the other day. This year I finished Nier Automata and Persona 5 which both pulled off the JRPG much, much better than FF15 could hope to in different ways - but for some reason I'm still really fond of FF15.

I think Beautiful Mess is a good way to describe it. I should go back and get the platinum, I;m only missing the survival 10 one.

For me, the skill I missed out on was fishing. I just didn't care that much about it. If Gladio had been in my party for the final parts of chapter 13 I probably would have maxed out his skill before the end of the game (he was 9.5 at the time). I want to go back and play the Gladio DLC since Prompto's is on the way, but FFXIV is eating my life so...

Edit: I, too, would be down for Ehrgeiz

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
drat, I know most people consider it narratively better to let Cid die in FF6, I just loving couldn't. It's okay granddad, I'll go catch you a fish. :unsmith:

It's kind of hilarious how quickly this game moves playing as an adult. I was an impatient retard kid who ran from all the fights when I first played it, and found several boss battles to be insanely difficult (no poo poo). Forcing myself to play without sprint shoes and without running and the game keeps you pretty much over leveled for everything it throws at you. There are still a few spots that can gently caress you up if you're not properly equipped, but they are few and far between.

Does anyone know if they did any rebalancing for the mobile/Steam release? I died several times to the crane bosses after the Magitek facility and I don't remember that ever being all that difficult.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Mega64 posted:

I got you, but its more of a retelling of FF9.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

DrNutt posted:

drat, I know most people consider it narratively better to let Cid die in FF6, I just loving couldn't. It's okay granddad, I'll go catch you a fish. :unsmith:

It's kind of hilarious how quickly this game moves playing as an adult. I was an impatient retard kid who ran from all the fights when I first played it, and found several boss battles to be insanely difficult (no poo poo). Forcing myself to play without sprint shoes and without running and the game keeps you pretty much over leveled for everything it throws at you. There are still a few spots that can gently caress you up if you're not properly equipped, but they are few and far between.

Does anyone know if they did any rebalancing for the mobile/Steam release? I died several times to the crane bosses after the Magitek facility and I don't remember that ever being all that difficult.

Maybe he wouldn't have gotten sick if he took off that drat raincoat

Like this post if you thought Gestahl's sprite looked like a doggo

e: lol SE agrees if the Gestahl minion from FFXIV is any indication

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

DrNutt posted:

The GBA, mobile, and Steam versions add a few new espers and a bonus dungeon. Additionally, they fix some bugs from the SNES version, like the Blind status effect and the Magic Defense stat doing nothing. The mobile and Steam versions alter the inputs for Cyan's special attacks, so you don't just have to sit there waiting. But that's the extent of the gameplay changes.

Mobile and Steam replace the graphics with hideous graphics. They all use a new translation that is more or less the same as the original, but less terse, as it's not constrained by cartridge space.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Cephas posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kf9pbuoWGOg

:swoon: Ramza looks so gloriously femme. He has Shout and Throw Stone. This poor boy.

I mean I suppose that fits since he's supposed to be in his mid to late teens in FFT. Kind of surprised they didn't go with a female VA.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Does Kefka still say son of a submariner this is important

Also it's really just the character sprites that are hideous, the in-battle enemy sprites and backgrounds look very nice and I believe the dungeon/town backgrounds are unchanged.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Bongo Bill posted:

The GBA, mobile, and Steam versions add a few new espers and a bonus dungeon. Additionally, they fix some bugs from the SNES version, like the Blind status effect and the Magic Defense stat doing nothing. The mobile and Steam versions alter the inputs for Cyan's special attacks, so you don't just have to sit there waiting. But that's the extent of the gameplay changes.

Mobile and Steam replace the graphics with hideous graphics. They all use a new translation that is more or less the same as the original, but less terse, as it's not constrained by cartridge space.

I'm not sure I agree with the assessment of the sprites, but I did play the game on a TV via my PC so it probably smoothed some things out.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Bongo Bill posted:

Imo the sprites are fine once you download the mod that removes the eye destroying poo poo filter that's smoothing things out. The new backgrounds look great and the enemies look better than ever. And without the filter the characters look fine. They're different from the original, so obviously some people hate them, but I think it's kind of nice that they added more detail.

E: on steam, I doubt there's any way to mod the mobile version.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Kelp Me! posted:

Does Kefka still say son of a submariner this is important

Also it's really just the character sprites that are hideous, the in-battle enemy sprites and backgrounds look very nice and I believe the dungeon/town backgrounds are unchanged.

I regret to inform you that he says "Son of a sandworm" in the new translation.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
It was tragic to lose that classic Woolsey line, but I like the new translation for the most part. They didn't go out of their way to make it more edgy or mature, but a lot of stuff became more legible or was edited to make sense. For instance, no one in the new translation tells you, Celes, that you look exactly like a roided out muscle bro when you roll through town. Instead he says you fit the description of someone he was looking for, and then another guy says you have the same sparkle in your eye.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Bongo Bill posted:

I regret to inform you that he says "Son of a sandworm" in the new translation.

what the gently caress why that's not even an improvement and it's not like the original was a poor translation

God Damnit Square Enix

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I hope Ramza remains a screaming, rock throwing prettyboy forever

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Ramza's entire character arc is that he's a soft, sweet, naive boy who grows to become a soft, sweet, naive boy who can punch demons to death.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Kelp Me! posted:

what the gently caress why that's not even an improvement and it's not like the original was a poor translation

God Damnit Square Enix

I can't really copy/paste it since I'm on my phone but he gets some pretty amazing lines in the ports that make him better than on the SNES.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

For what it's worth, I prefer the new translation of FF6 to the original. Ted Woolsey did a great job with the severe constraints he was under, but he was constrained, and just one man besides.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Fister Roboto posted:

Ramza's entire character arc is that he's a soft, sweet, naive boy who grows to become a soft, sweet, naive boy who can punch demons to death.

He never abandons his sense of personal justice and morality, in contrast with most of the other characters in that game.

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I've been playing Nier Automata recently too and its so much better in most respects I'd probably fall over myself heaping praise on it.

Still, I decided to take a break and try to platinum FFXV and explore some of the postgame dungeons. While driving around, it occurred to me that at least part of the reason I may be charitable to it is because for better or worse, driving around Lucis looks pretty much like Northern California (where I grew up). Obviously theres fantastical elements but on at least some level I feel vague nostalgia with a lot of the general outdoor environments.

I was also thinking about how much I enjoyed poking around some of the dungeons. The very first one you go into tells a neat little story as you explore it, and I found myself wondering/wanting to learn more about why it was there. It kind of encapsulates the whole game though, it has some interesting questions raised that then go nowhere and a story that is MIA most of the time. I wandered around the optional dungeon in the Mines in Leide, and thought it was really well done both in terms of environments and the little story that plays out through the environmental interactions. Mines are pretty cliche but they did a great job with it.

Still, while I've been enjoying poking around the world, coming back to the game after playing Nier (and other games) makes the combat system feel even worse. Its only saving grace is that most fights are over pretty quickly in the postgame, and I've heard the final postgame dungeon doesn't have any fights. I'm not sure I've felt so positive about a game with this many critical flaws before.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kelp Me! posted:

God Damnit Square Enix

Because submarines don't exist in the FF6 universe, whereas sandworms do.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Vargatron posted:

He never abandons his sense of personal justice and morality, in contrast with most of the other characters in that game.

He's the best drat protagonist FF has ever seen. :colbert:

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

ImpAtom posted:

Clearly he was talking about this guy: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Namor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

ImpAtom posted: