Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
The only reason why the early episodes could be viewed as plot lite is just how much important poo poo goes down in the final parts of the tournament.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
They did five fights - all the rest of round 2 and all the semi-finals happened this episode. All that's left is the finals and the post-fight ceremonies, which should fit within a single episode.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I'm a non-manga reader and I was kind of dreading the sports festival arc when it became clear in the first episode of this season that that's what (a big portion of) the season would be about, but it's been paced it really well. I have no complaints.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

LostRook posted:

What? No. None of that is true.

Whoops, you're right, I remembered the order of fights differently for some reason.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Manga thread, circa April 2015 posted:

I like how at the beginning of the tournament everyone was worried it was gonna drag but it's actually provided some of the most interesting moments in the series to date.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

LostRook posted:

What? No. None of that is true.

But imagine if it were

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Imagine if the whole festival was just a tournament to begin with and now be thankful it only got kinda uninspired at the very end.

Not that he isn't doing interesting things with the tourney, but good god I agree with the complaintant that tournaments are done to death and thus seem to be a last resort for lack of imagination for where to go. At least we had a racing course and a tri-horse to mix it up a bit.

Also the actual character development is bloody spot on.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Tournament's own which is why the superior shonen genre of Sports is entirely tournaments with the occasional training arc.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
Honestly I think he just threw in a tournament arc because that's a shounen staple, since it's not like he's lacking in ideas afterwards. As tournament arcs go it was a pretty good one though.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

No fight went longer than one episode which was a great thing.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Slime posted:

Honestly I think he just threw in a tournament arc because that's a shounen staple, since it's not like he's lacking in ideas afterwards. As tournament arcs go it was a pretty good one though.

No, he has commented he's wanted to write one for a long time.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
I think the main problem people have with tournament arcs are that they feel like a running stretch of foregone conclusions with almost no stakes. The only way they work is as a vehicle to get two characters who would never otherwise fight each other to do just that. It's an opportunity to have some characters lose (or win) safely and pivot their development.

I think what makes the tournament arc in MHA bearable (and at times truly excellent) is the recognition of those facts to pretty much their utmost potential. The fact that most of the matches go pretty quickly is just acknowledgement of the weakness of this particular story device.

Essentially this is as good as a tournament gets, and it's drat good.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

The 22nd and 23rd World Tournament are both better.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
My boy Bakugo would definitely fight every one in the entire stadium

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I can't wait for my boy Bakugou to maybe, potentially beat Todoroki into a lovely smear on the ground next Saturday.

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics
I appreciate that this tournament has some unexpected wins and losses, and handles the losses extremely well. This is probably the first tournament arc I've been excited for because there really aren't many foregone conclusions aside from 'main characters will have spotlights', and like with other shonen staples, MHA has a way of making it feel fresh without diverging from what makes it what it is.

Also the Ochako fight was *fantastic*. The execution of this arc is so good. :qq:

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Oh anime-only people, please put down who you think will win and why, because I love reading your speculations.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
Yes, please

Elmon
Aug 20, 2013

Todoroki is such a powerhouse. And he doesn't seem to have bakugos arrogance. As long as he doesn't go back to only ice I think he has it. If he returns to ice only I don't know. As Bakugo's quirk should be able to shatter it. Also if Shinsou doesn't get into hero course I'm going to be salty. His quirk is top tier.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)
Prediction: Todoroki learns how to make explosions with his left side instead of just flames, effortlessly counters everything Bakugou does, but then tries to launch himself with only one hand and spirals out of the arena.

Elmon posted:

Also if Shinsou doesn't get into hero course I'm going to be salty. His quirk is top tier.

I really wanna see more of Shinsou. Growing up with a "villainous" quirk in a world where kids idolize heroics is a really cool idea that could hold a series on its own, and I didn't expect something like it to be dropped out of nowhere in the middle of the tournament. It can be a character study, a bullying thing, an exploration of prejudice, or even just a comedy (like after the fight where Deku keeps responding to Shinsou and getting zonked). I'm super excited to see where he goes.

Cheston fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Jun 12, 2017

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Mordaedil posted:

Oh anime-only people, please put down who you think will win and why, because I love reading your speculations.

The real winner is the audience, and also bakugo probably because, plot wise, it makes more sense for him to win.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Mordaedil posted:

If I was judging it fighter vs fighter, quirk vs quirk, I'd choose Todoroki. I just think his quirk is more powerful than Bakugo's, and he's got better situational awareness, and he's better at formulating strategy, etc.

But dramatically, I feel like Bakugo's gotta win. Todoroki just had a big spotlight episode and it's Explosion Boy's time to shine, baby.

Pakled fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Jun 13, 2017

Elmon
Aug 20, 2013

Pakled posted:

it's Explosion Boy's time to shine, baby.

They've been having him recognize others strength though. If he's best it's back to him thinking like he used to.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I want bakugo to win. He's the underdog quirk-wise but he's a pretty exceptional fighter. He figured out dark shadow's weakness, and clearly did a lot of thinking during his other two tourney fights. I think it's really cool that on the surface his fighting style looks like he's just a thug, but he's actually pretty smart and is really good at using his quirk's versatility, as well as its raw power, to his advantage.

Icy hot will probably win by virtue of bakugo's character arc being "you're good but not the best" and icyhot's arc being "you're the best because of eugenics and rape, but that doesn't mean you can't still be the best because those things aren't your fault." It makes a lot more thematic sense. But I find bakugo more entertaining and it's hard not to root for the underdog so I hope he wins anyway.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Todoroki will win because otherwise Bakugo will experience an emotion that isn't 100% pissed off and thus turn into a corn cob.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Steve Buscemi with the run in.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Mordaedil posted:

Bakugo, because he can counter the ice with explosions, and Todoroki doesn't have enough tactical experience with his fire side to overpower Bakugo's power of pissedoffness.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

paragon1 posted:

Todoroki will win because otherwise Bakugo will experience an emotion that isn't 100% pissed off and thus turn into a corn cob.

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

My guess is nobody wins because they just introduced a new villain and the tournament gets interrupted.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

C-SPAN Caller posted:

My guess is nobody wins because they just introduced a new villain and the tournament gets interrupted.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I hope Bakugo loses because I hate him

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

C-SPAN Caller posted:

That doesn't make a lot of sense, Stain has only just met the other villains and they've only just started to negotiate with him, probably not enough time to crash what's left of the sports festival.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Crashing a sports festival with a million Actual Pro Heroes, yeah that's definitely a smart idea

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Yeah, barring some kind of quirk or weapon that could immediately incapacitate everyone in the stadium, the Sports Festival's gotta be the safest place in the world from a villain attack.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Aurora posted:

Crashing a sports festival with a million Actual Pro Heroes, yeah that's definitely a smart idea

I've seen a lot of shonen tournament arcs that end like this.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Aurora posted:

If you want to establish a main bad guy as an insane badass then yeah it is, I think Naruto finishes as least two tournament arcs like that

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I can't believe Orochimaru was hiding behind Aizawa's bandages this whole time.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Terper posted:

I can't believe Orochimaru was hiding behind Aizawa's bandages this whole time.

Aizawa is our Kakashi. It's either Midnight or Cementos who are Orochimaru.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Sakurazuka posted:

If you want to establish a main bad guy as an insane badass then yeah it is, I think Naruto finishes as least two tournament arcs like that

No idea about the second arc, but for the first one they had been building up to that reveal since almost the start of the arc so it made sense when it happened. The current big bad is explicitly watching the tournament to get a feel of who he may fight, and the new villain is in a different city and seems to be setting up to have a conversation with the League of Villains.

Hunt11 fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jun 14, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Gyges posted:

Aizawa is our Kakashi. It's either Midnight or Cementos who are Orochimaru.

I'm sasuke

• Locked thread