Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

EL BROMANCE posted:

I liked that they even went as far as to call a spinoff thing THE PLAN.

The Plan was great because it basically spelled out in no uncertain terms that they had no plan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
I completed spaced that spin off. What exactly happened in The Plan?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

It was essentially "Cavil has a very bad day."

It follows events from the Cylon point of view and it continually has Cavil's plans subverted and everyone betray him.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
The Plan was so bad that I ejected it from my ps2 halfway through and mailed it back to netflix.

Edit: this season of Orange is the New Black is pretty darn good.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Looten Plunder posted:

I loved Patriot, but c'mon, The pace this show moves at is on par with The Americans.

There's always something happening in Patriot, and almost all of it is plot related. By comparison, most of the other shows I mentioned will throw in weird asides because they can while the plot grinds to a halt. Like this entire episode, where even the side-plot we are having a bubble episode for isn't the focus! In a bettter show everything that happened this episode would be 10 minutes.

Also, the Americans is actually really bad if you're not a wig enthusiast and completely shat the bed after season 1. :ssh:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I haven't seen any Better Call Saul since s1 and don't feel like I'm missing out on The Zeitgeist. :feelsgood:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I never watched The O.C. when it aired. Is it worth watching now?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I dunno about bad but The Americans is definitely not that good. In 20 years it's gonna be one of the weirdest examples of a show considered "prestige".

Eezee
Apr 3, 2011

My double chin turned out to be a huge cyst
This is probably the first time that I've seen Americans called bad.

I never got further than season one because I can't stand the glacial pace. And I say that as someone whose favorite show of all time is Leftovers. (Please watch Leftovers!)

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

That's because the only people who still talk about the American's are the ones who stuck with it because they for some reason find all its flaws appealing.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

The Americans has plenty of problems, mostly stemming from pacing but calling it a bad show is pretty disingenuous. It's a slow burner for sure but I appreciate that it's a more realistic and subdued look at espionage and its effects on the lives of spies.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
So I vaguely recall someone here mentioning that Jean Claude van Johnson was confirmed for a full season. It feels like it's been a year since the pilot, and the internet is rather sparse on information. Is anyone here aware of any updates on when we're getting more? And how much?

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Josh Lyman posted:

I never watched The O.C. when it aired. Is it worth watching now?

The first and last seasons were pretty good for a prime time teen soap. Second season had occasional great moments but it bought into its own hype at that point with new characters that never really fit in and a literal band of the week mtv kind of showcase.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Vanderdeath posted:

The Americans has plenty of problems, mostly stemming from pacing but calling it a bad show is pretty disingenuous. It's a slow burner for sure but I appreciate that it's a more realistic and subdued look at espionage and its effects on the lives of spies.

And I guess people just want James Bond and the russians to just speak in accents. The Americans has some weird pacing and got close to putting too much on a child actor's shoulders but I think it's an excellent show whose wig game will never be topped.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

IRQ posted:

And I guess people just want James Bond and the russians to just speak in accents.

I feel like I'm the opposite to this trend, as every time I watch a Bond movie I want better spycraft and less formula. Luckily there's plenty of spy stuff on both sides of the coin these days to please everyone.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

They speak the real languages in Homeland also so credit to them for that. America is ready for subtitles and i wish the movies would follow. The germans speaking accented english in wonder woman was dumb as hell.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Season 1 of the Americans is probably the weakest season because it's got the most dumb "what if phillip and elizabeth are enemies and should kill each other" poo poo that doesn't make a whole lot of sense after they've already been working together for 14 fuckin' years.

Season 5 is probably the second-weakest season, because even though it has some.amazing character poo poo, if you thought the rest of the show was glacial, this season is frozen solid.

But for real, if you thought season was slow-paced, you may just hate character dramas. It's way faster paced than say, American Gods.

Edit: it's also very much a period piece, and is as much about the cold war era as it is about "spy stuff". So if that's not something you're interested in...

Snak fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Jun 14, 2017

Eezee
Apr 3, 2011

I really like American Gods. I guess the problem was more that I thought the characters weren't interesting enough to warrant such a slow pace.

And speaking of Homeland, did that show actually get good again? I stopped after the second season (the daughter was horrible) and never really gave it another thought.

Edit: I guess that could be it. As someone who is not from the US, maybe I just don't care enough. :shrug:

Eezee fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Jun 14, 2017

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The show moves away from Brody and his family after season 2 and yeah it gets really good. I mean as far as spy shows go it's Homeland and The Americans. I want even more.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
That could be :shrug:

There's a huge amount of attention to detail in recreating the 80s as a setting. Probably not quite on the level of Mad Men, but yeah pretty much.

Eezee
Apr 3, 2011

Sweet, maybe I'll pick it up again. Should I remember what happened in the first two seasons? My memory of the actual plot points is pretty hazy, so I'm wondering of I should just watch them again.

Edit: I loved Mad Men though. I thought their constantly evolving setpiece was awesome, but the characters were strong enough on their own even if I don't know much about the the 60s in the US.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Nah they move away from the first couple seasons in terms of plot. Obviously there are returning characters like Saul and Dar Adal but as long as you know they are powerful CIA people that's all you need. The show moves around a lot each season from Pakistan to Germany to New York City and aren't necessarily directly connected.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
The Americans has plenty of Previously Ons, you should be fine jumping back in. (Unless you're talking about Homeland?)
Edit: yep, homeland. I should probably watch that some day.

Mu Zeta posted:

The show moves away from Brody and his family after season 2 and yeah it gets really good. I mean as far as spy shows go it's Homeland and The Americans. I want even more.

It's hard to keep track, but did you watch Patriot? It is an excellent spy show and darkly hilarious.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I'm wary because I've yet to like any show produced by Amazon. Also it looks like too much humor in the trailer. I want spy shows to be slow and dark. I guess wigs are acceptable.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I love me some Bosch. Looking forward to season 4.

The Tick pilot was good and so was the Van Damme show.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

-Blackadder- posted:

I completed spaced that spin off. What exactly happened in The Plan?

ZOOM IN ON THE COCK

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Dancer posted:

So I vaguely recall someone here mentioning that Jean Claude van Johnson was confirmed for a full season. It feels like it's been a year since the pilot, and the internet is rather sparse on information. Is anyone here aware of any updates on when we're getting more? And how much?

Peter Atencio (Key & Peele guy who directed the pilot and will direct the rest of the series) gave an update in February over Twitter; months ago, to be sure, but everything he said still tracks. It's going to be a six episode season and it's set for a late 2017 release.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Mu Zeta posted:

I'm wary because I've yet to like any show produced by Amazon. Also it looks like too much humor in the trailer. I want spy shows to be slow and dark. I guess wigs are acceptable.

Dude just fuckin watch it.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Turns out there's a John Wick spin-off TV series in the works. Its still early in development but right now but the current plan is to call it The Continental, after the hotels that house the various hitmen and crime families of the John Wick world. Its apparently going to be a prequel. Keanu Reeves will be tangentially involved with Chad Stahelski saying that they're planning on Keanu making an appearance but he obviously won't be appearing long term on the show.

Lionsgate is producing the show and as far as I can tell there's no network attached yet.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

My wild guess is that it's on Cinemax

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Eezee posted:

This is probably the first time that I've seen Americans called bad.

I never got further than season one because I can't stand the glacial pace. And I say that as someone whose favorite show of all time is Leftovers. (Please watch Leftovers!)

I've been saying I didn't like it for years here, stopped banging that gong after awhile

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Well not liking something and saying it's bad aren't necessarily the same thing.

I definitely don't expect everyone to like The Americans. It's not for everyone. In fact it's for a pretty narrow viewership: people who want a spy drama that's almost entirely character based with very little "exciting spy poo poo", set during the cold war that's a critique of both soviet and american mindsets during the period.

If you want a plot-driven show, you won't like it. If you don't like a show hitting you over the head with "hurr both contries are corrupt and ignorent", you wont like it. If you dislike 80s cars and fashion and wigs and music, you won't like it.

But it's not bad.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Josh Lyman posted:

I haven't seen any Better Call Saul since s1 and don't feel like I'm missing out on The Zeitgeist. :feelsgood:

You're missing out, S2 had it's problems but S3 has been some amazing stuff. Episode to episode you can go from loving a character and rooting for them to hating them and wishing for their comeuppance and vice versa, but it's always earned and everyone feels like a real chracter reacting to their circumstances in the best way they can.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

This is random, but Apples music show PlanetOfTheApps is great. It's reality show blah blah, but it's the the advisors and the actual pitching to VC that makes it legit. Highly recommend it.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

muscles like this! posted:

Turns out there's a John Wick spin-off TV series in the works. Its still early in development but right now but the current plan is to call it The Continental, after the hotels that house the various hitmen and crime families of the John Wick world. Its apparently going to be a prequel. Keanu Reeves will be tangentially involved with Chad Stahelski saying that they're planning on Keanu making an appearance but he obviously won't be appearing long term on the show.

Lionsgate is producing the show and as far as I can tell there's no network attached yet.

I feel like the world building that the show would inevitably do would kind of ruin it for me.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I haven't seen the second one yet, but I thought the worldbuilding aspect of tye first movie was the worst thing about it, and was quite disappointed how many people seem to want more of crazy kingsman/wanted type assassin universe worldbuilding.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Snak posted:

I haven't seen the second one yet, but I thought the worldbuilding aspect of tye first movie was the worst thing about it, and was quite disappointed how many people seem to want more of crazy kingsman/wanted type assassin universe worldbuilding.

Second one definitely does more worldbuilding and I would argue it suffers a bit--you don't really want to spend too much time thinking about how the Wickverse works, because as soon as you start to think about how a world like that could possibly exist in reality it all starts falling apart.

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

Snak posted:

Yeah, same here. That whole lame brotherhood of assassins hotel or whatever it was was the worst part about that movie. Why couldn't it just have been about other people coming after him without them all staying in the same hotel and having the weird currency?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Like if i was gonna change John Wick, I would get rid of the dumb "coins" thing. Without those, the whole thing seems much more grounded. At least as much as any ridiculous assassin action movie setting. Like why does a secret society of assassins use special money that only they use? That's like, the opposite of how covert things work.

Like, even the hotel thing is fine, if you take the weird currency out of it, because it's just like, some organized crime business hub.

Like the Hotel in patriot (The King George?), "It's the best hotel. Everyone stays there!"

Snak fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Jun 14, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

LionArcher posted:

This is random, but Apples music show PlanetOfTheApps is great. It's reality show blah blah, but it's the the advisors and the actual pitching to VC that makes it legit. Highly recommend it.

I thought it was pretty bad, especially with Jessica Alba, Gwyneth Paltrow and Will.I.Am being three of the judges ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Especially LOL at Jessica Alba talking an inventor into pivoting away from a really good idea/implimentation to something that nobody would invest in.

Most of all it just made me want to watch Shark Tank though, which in contrast is fantastic. No new episodes until September :(

• Locked thread