Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

i'm the windowsexperience

seriously disappointing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

infernal machines posted:

seriously disappointing
yeah i bet you are

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe

anthonypants posted:

yeah i bet you are

NICE!

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

infernal machines posted:

seriously disappointing

Only registered members can see post attachments!

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
I'm windows frotz

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

anthonypants posted:

someone did this with an instagram account and i got the confirmation email so i signed up and changed the password. sorry you lost your username because you don't know what your email address is, idiot
some teen just did this again, but this time the account has a bunch of pictures in it. whoops

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

quote:

The UITS staff also discovered that although the center had separate public and private networks, there was a live network jack (going out to the public network) in the closet where the private network systems are kept, raising the possibility that workers could have, at some point, connected the private network systems to the internet. Workers had also installed their own wireless access point in the office—a possible point of entry into networks for attackers. Given all of these findings and the center’s lack of oversight before the breach, critics say it’s not clear that the center’s small staff, some of whom are non-technical students at the university, could be trusted to maintain the integrity of those separate networks.

“They’re asking us to take their word for it that they have very carefully isolated and carefully managed the private network, but where their practices are visible to us, they have not been careful,” says someone knowledgeable about the center and Georgia’s voting systems who asked not to be identified. He pointed to the GEMS database files that Lamb found on the unprotected server, which appear to be associated with specific primary and other elections last year in various counties. “[I]t’s hard to square the presence of these GEMS files on an internet-connected server with the claim that GEMS machines are never connected to the internet.”

King has long insisted that [their voting machines] are secure because they and the GEMS tabulation computers are never connected to the internet and because officials perform tests before, during and after elections to ensure that they perform properly and that only certified software is installed on them.

But critics say the tests Georgia performs are inadequate and that the center has shown a pattern of security failures that can’t be dismissed. In addition to failing to install the 2-year-old patch on its server software, Georgia, testimony in the injunction hearing last week revealed, is still using a version of software on its touch-screen machines that was last certified in 2005. That voting software is running on the machines on top of a Windows operating system that is even older than this.

“They’re standing pat with whatever they were using 10 years ago even though the evidence that this is not a secure setup is continuing to pile up,” says the person knowledgeable about Georgia’s voting technology.

Someone who should be particularly concerned about the center's security lapses and the use of the touch-screen machines in the upcoming election is Handel, the Republican vying for the 6th Congressional District seat. In 2006, when Handel ran for secretary of state of Georgia, she made the security of the state's voting systems one of her campaign issues. After her win, she ordered a security review of the systems and the procedures for using them.

Experts at Georgia Tech conducted the review and found a number of security concerns, which they discussed in a report submitted to Handel. But, oddly, they were prohibited from examining the center’s network or reviewing its security procedures. Richard DeMillo, who was dean of computing at Georgia Tech at the time and led the review, told POLITICO he and his team argued with officials from the center in Handel’s office, but they were adamant that its procedures and networks would not be included in the review.

“I thought it was very strange,” says DeMillo. “It was kind of a contentious meeting. The Kennesaw people just stamped their foot and said ‘Over our dead body.’”

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2017/06/14/will-the-georgia-special-election-get-hacked-215255

lol

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

anthonypants posted:

some teen just did this again, but this time the account has a bunch of pictures in it. whoops

its dumb as heck that they can even start using the account without confirming the email

or i guess maybe they were using an account without email and then added it later (if thats possible??), then its dumb as heck that instagram lets you take over & destroy their account

either way its really dumb

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

but yeah, always change pw on accounts that idiots set up with your email tho

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Powaqoatse posted:

or i guess maybe they were using an account without email and then added it later (if thats possible??), then its dumb as heck that instagram lets you take over & destroy their account

what mechanism would you use to prevent that?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Subjunctive posted:

idk have the confirmation link in the email challenge with a numeric token that you were told when you enter the email in the app/website

at least it would mean you'd have to be logged in to change the email & typos wouldnt risk your account as badly

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Subjunctive posted:

email a confirmation code which has to be entered along with your username and password to confirm the email?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

yea or that.

most of the time, the confirmation link just logs you in & you have full control of the account

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

you would lose so many users and orphan so many accounts making people flip between that stuff. a billion users are not going to manage to get through that gate

it's not like IG and others are unaware of this issue, it's just better than the known alternatives

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
all you need to do is not have the confirmation link automatically log you in. if they still have the cookie from their previous visit when they click the link, fine, if they don't then ask them to log in again. there's no excuse for the emailed confirmation link giving whoever knows it full access to the account.

e: obv. you need to not do email password recovery until they've actually confirmed their email address too.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Jabor posted:

all you need to do is not have the confirmation link automatically log you in. if they still have the cookie from their previous visit when they click the link, fine, if they don't then ask them to log in again. there's no excuse for the emailed confirmation link giving whoever knows it full access to the account.

e: obv. you need to not do email password recovery until they've actually confirmed their email address too.

but clicking the confirmation link confirms; that's its whole point

I have a perhaps-unusual amount of sympathy for this problem from working with the FB login/account access team and seeing how brutally any increase in complexity tanks user signup or recovery.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Subjunctive posted:

which it does just fine, if you're signed in (e.g. if you're using the same device you created the account on)

if you're not signed in then all you need to do to confirm is sign in again, which isn't a huge burden since it's something you're going to have to do at some point anyway

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Jabor posted:

do this & gently caress the users who are too dumb to do even that

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Subjunctive posted:

I have a perhaps-unusual amount of sympathy for this problem from working with the FB login/account access team and seeing how brutally any increase in complexity tanks user signup or recovery.

but not signing up for FB is a good thing??

Powaqoatse posted:

do this & gently caress the users who are too dumb to do even that

also this

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Jabor posted:

which it does just fine, if you're signed in (e.g. if you're using the same device you created the account on)

if you're not signed in then all you need to do to confirm is sign in again, which isn't a huge burden since it's something you're going to have to do at some point anyway

that doesn't hold at all for a mobile app -- they work fine without a password until you set one and happen to log out (minority of users, but if they do it's very high odds they will want to recover), because all mobile platforms have built-in identifier, and "same device" isn't detectable between browser and app.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Subjunctive posted:

that doesn't hold at all for a mobile app -- they work fine without a password until you set one and happen to log out (minority of users, but if they do it's very high odds they will want to recover), because all mobile platforms have built-in identifier, and "same device" isn't detectable between browser and app.

the app can sign itself up as the handler for that particular site's confirmation urls just fine

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

just redirect to the app on mobile.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Jabor posted:

the app can sign itself up as the handler for that particular site's confirmation urls just fine

that substantially fucks the user experience if the browser is meaningful on the site

have you tried this and measured it? every confirmation pop up you put in people's way carves off percentage points of users, and percentage points of users is millions in revenue at IG's scale

FB runs a half-dozen login/signup experiments at any given time, for the main site and IG/WA. the results are consistently stacked against more steps

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
i'm still not clear on what the "extra step" you think is happening here actually is

the user experience is you create an account, confirm your email address, and then at some later point you look at your email on the same device, press the confirmation link, and you end up on a page (either in the browser, or the app, depending on which one you're logged in on) congratulating you on figuring it out. i.e. exactly the same thing that happens under your proposal. in the only other case, they're looking at their email on a different device, and getting them to log in on that device too is actually a good thing for most metrics you care about.

--

and this is all ignoring the "let's have a broken security model just to try and scrape up a few more users". is the next step to crib from tiny bug child and send plaintext password resets because that gives you measurably better user retention rates?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Truga posted:

but not signing up for FB is a good thing??

also this

yeah sabotaging facebook from the inside through subtle manipulation of stuff like this seems like a great way to get yourself off the short list for a guillotine'in when the revolution starts

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
so why should someone be allowed to sign up for an account with an email that they don't own?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Chris Knight posted:

so why should someone be allowed to sign up for an account with an email that they don't own?

there's no good reason, so decent sites that don't cater to droves of non-technicals who die thinking of email have implemented a preverification on registration procedure. you enter email and say age, and confirmation link sent takes you to the registration form

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

the extra step is "Open in Instagram?", and equivalent (but more terribly worded) on Android, for which the cancel rate is non-trivial in other scenarios

it's the same broken model used by every site on the web, assuming they bother to confirm at all. the failure mode here is loss of a new, low-value-to-user account. the failure mode of a more complex system is more users locking themselves out of older, high-value-to-user accounts because they didn't complete confirmation

I will pass your thoughts on to the account access team, though, so you can save the world with untried approaches!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

cinci zoo sniper posted:

there's no good reason, so decent sites that don't cater to droves of non-technicals who die thinking of email have implemented a preverification on registration procedure. you enter email and say age, and confirmation link sent takes you to the registration form

can you give me an example of a mobile app that does this? I'd like to try the flow

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
you don't need to ever click "open in app" at all. you click on the confirmation link. that opens the app (if it's installed), or the browser (if the app is not installed). the app can redirect to the browser if the user is not signed in on the app.

and if we're talking failure modes, it's more like "a malicious person has access to that email address, and uses the access to the account that you've given them to steal private information that the user has given to you in confidence". but hey, if "growing your userbase" is more important than being a good custodian of people's private data, keep on keeping on i guess.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
One of my old email addresses (a gmail with a particularly popular name amongst a small group of people) became associated with a randos new Facebook account a while back. I did not have to click a link to verify the address for them, and I now get Facebook notifications meant for them.

fins
May 31, 2011

Floss Finder

Subjunctive posted:

It takes a while for the bots to get updated before the clickfarm operators can get back to full efficiency

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

bobfather posted:

One of my old email addresses (a gmail with a particularly popular name amongst a small group of people) became associated with a randos new Facebook account a while back. I did not have to click a link to verify the address for them, and I now get Facebook notifications meant for them.

yeah, I argued loudly against dropping confirmation there

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Subjunctive posted:

can you give me an example of a mobile app that does this? I'd like to try the flow
im not sure i have experienced a mobile app like that, but i vaguely remember some forums and/or internet store where i had to do this

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Subjunctive posted:

yeah, I argued loudly against dropping confirmation there

Was the thinking "if the user has multiple email addresses, they should add them ALL to their facebook account so we can have even more info about each of our consumers?"

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

no, multiple emails are for pymk purposes

the confirmation dropping was just friction reduction, afaik

e: the change predates custom audiences, but I guess it's useful for that now too

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Jabor posted:

but hey, if "growing your userbase" is more important than being a good custodian of people's private data, keep on keeping on i guess.

You must be new here. Hello, welcome to the tech industry in 1998 2003 2013 2017, where you only need to care about privacy once your userbase is large enough that you're "established" and security/privacy issues make the news, and your company is brutally punished if you assume otherwise.

Volmarias fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Jun 14, 2017

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Different topic:

How much room is there in the password manager space? My sense is "not very much", but the enterprise offerings seem weak so maybe.

Pitch I got:

quote:

[product] is an enterprise solution and the only password manager that encrypts and stores passwords offline on a smartphone while automating logins on any device. Nothing is ever stored in the cloud, giving convenience and peace of mind to the user and firm. The application uniquely turns a smartphone into a FIDO U2F certified token that only can be authenticated by the user / biometrics.

With random passwords, OTP (SecurID, Google Authenticator, FiDO U2F and Federated Login through SAML and OpenID Connect all running is a single app, [company] has the most comprehensive sign-on stack in the industry today.

Biometrics doesn't thrill me but I'm sure it's in demand. Cloudless is going to appeal.

E: I get a lot of security pitches ("hardware entropy as a service for quantum crypto"), let me know if there's interest in sharing them in the general case

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

maybe on phone you could streamline something like sms code auto confirmation to prompt further registration, but that neither is reliable nor have i thoroughly read the preceding discussion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

i used a well know UK energy switching site the other day and after going through its setup stuff it created me an account on their service which weirdly required no password, turns out what they do is just link your account to your email address then when you want to login send you a one time(i assume) link with a token in it.

i cant decide if this is good or bad. its something you'd use once a year maybe and this does make signup and login easier as you don't need to remember a password, just generate a 1 time link then forget about it

• Locked thread