Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Thundercloud posted:

I believe it's just biglys to give them enough to be a stand alone faction.

Which I have no objection to as I'll be doing Warriors of Iron, a totally new chapter not made from Iron Warrior geneseed at all.

They can form a not awkward in any way alliance with my Children of the Imperium and do all kinds of good works together!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

a cock shaped fruit posted:

Has anyone set up a janky 8th ed army builder yet? I'd love to see what 1000 points of Necrons might looks like.

You can download the beta files from the 40k repo for battlescribe and put them in your data folder. Or you can click my post history and look at the post I made playing around with a 2000 point list.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*
Start of my Tau project. Really loving painting and building these.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Serotonin posted:

They look fantastic, well done :)

JackMack
Nov 3, 2007
UK Goonhams, would anyone be interested in an September Goonpocalypse V - Bigmarines: Hung like Parliament.

Saturday September 5th ? August is very busy in fact. There are a lot of events

We can make it the first Goonpocalypse of the new edition and all the mediocre Blood Angels stuff I have will be amazing now and I might win a game oh my god I can't breathe I am so excited.

Alternative would be a short bloody Shadow Wars campaign. I have an idea of how we could conduct it. Suffice to say it would be "the Hungry Games". Also still "hung like parliament" because I like that joke and want to maximise its use. I will be shouting it at five minute intervals throughout the day.

I am starting a new job at present so can't access my phone during the day. We can start a GoonMeet thread like Zark did last time if enough are interested.

JackMack fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Jun 14, 2017

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Serotonin posted:

Tau that aren't tan or white!!! :aaa: (Okay there's a bit of tan and white :cheeky:) Nice job

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

JackMack posted:

UK Goonhams, would anyone be interested in an September Goonpocalypse V - Bigmarines: Hung like Parliament.

We can make it the first Goonpocalypse of the new edition and all the mediocre Blood Angels stuff I have will be amazing now and I might win a game oh my god I can't breathe I am so excited.

Alternative would be a short bloody Shadow Wars campaign. I have an idea of how we could conduct it. Suffice to say it would be "the Hungry Games". Also still "hung like parliament" because I like that joke and want to maximise its use. I will be shouting it at five minute intervals throughout the day.

I am starting a new job at present so can't access my phone during the day. We can start a GoonMeet thread like Zark did last time if enough are interested.

I'd be down with some September ham slamming with Goons!

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Hra Mormo posted:

Oh hey this finally seems to be just about done, atleast as far as my armies are concerned. Sweet!

Lacks orks. :mediocre:

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.

The 7th edition function works great on every one of my browsers, but it won't load an 8th edition book (drop-down box is empty) in Chrome, Firefox or Safari... What am I doing wrong? Is it a service you have to sign up/pay for?

Edit: Well, it seems to work on my phone, but not my laptop... :-/

WhiteWolf123 fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Jun 14, 2017

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!

JackMack posted:

I am in for 8th games. I will likely have Biglys and Deathguard painted up by then.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

WhiteWolf123 posted:

The 7th edition function works great on every one of my browsers, but it won't load an 8th edition book (drop-down box is empty) in Chrome, Firefox or Safari... What am I doing wrong? Is it a service you have to sign up/pay for?

I can confirm you're not the only one. For some reason the 8th Edition stuff has an empty drop menu, while 7th works fine. I'd assume the problem is on their end.

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.

Attestant posted:

I can confirm you're not the only one. For some reason the 8th Edition stuff has an empty drop menu, while 7th works fine. I'd assume the problem is on their end.

Thanks. Thought I was going crazy there for a minute.

Drop-down menu for 8th shows up on my phone, but not on any of my laptop browsers...

Sykic
Feb 9, 2004

Resist! Humanity demands it! Resist!
Anyone ever just write off an entire army as unpaintable? You look at the models and think to yourself "No way in hell can I paint that, I'll stick to space marines" and never even try? That's been me and Tyranids since about 6 years ago, there's not a chance in hell I can paint a nid, I tried once when I was fairly new and got this abomination. Then I got thinking, gently caress it, I'm back in the hobby now, let's try something different, something crazy, something that'll give chutche2 a cupola nightmares.

Is it a great paint job? No. Is it infinitely better than I ever imagined? Absolutely. And to think I originally planned to sell off the Tyranid half of Deathstorm.

Moral of the story: Just paint.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

That's possibly the cleanest Hive Fleet Leviathan paintjob I've ever seen. Very nice!

spacegoat
Dec 23, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nap Ghost
Played a game last night and we had a hard time understanding the cover rules. It reads to us like you only get cover if you're in it, but not behind it. Is that right? Like, if I'm shooting through a wood youn don't get poo poo but if you're COMPLETELY inside it (and infantry) you do?

Also, if I've got a 20 man squad behind LoS blocking terrain but one dude is visible, can my opponent theoretically wipe out all 20 with a single salvo of good shooting due to that one dude?

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Sykic posted:

Anyone ever just write off an entire army as unpaintable? You look at the models and think to yourself "No way in hell can I paint that, I'll stick to space marines" and never even try? That's been me and Tyranids since about 6 years ago, there's not a chance in hell I can paint a nid, I tried once when I was fairly new and got this abomination. Then I got thinking, gently caress it, I'm back in the hobby now, let's try something different, something crazy, something that'll give chutche2 a cupola nightmares.

Is it a great paint job? No. Is it infinitely better than I ever imagined? Absolutely. And to think I originally planned to sell off the Tyranid half of Deathstorm.

This looks genuinely flawless, bravo.

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom

Sykic posted:

This looks really nice, the painting's neat and the colours are nice and vibrant. Might steal that for the star player I'm making for my Genestealer Blood Bowl team!

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Sykic posted:

That's a good looking tyranid

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Someone modify :justpost: to :justpaint:

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man
I think my "I'll never be able to paint that" -army is Orks, which I've always wanted to do since I got into the hobby almost 20 years ago but after nids and skaven I promised myself I'd never do another horde army again.

Then proceeded to pick armies like Dark Eldar and Skitarii to paint which are semi-horde anyway. If I ever feel the need to start another army yet again I think I'll just say gently caress it and finally do Orks. I know I could vomit barely passable orks out really quickly but I'm one of those super fiddly perfectionists who's also bad and slow at painting, so it takes me forever to paint a single infantry model to a standard that won't be depressing for me to look at.

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007
I wish meat screamed as I ate it.

muggins posted:

How's that?

Special Narrative scenario rules: the Attacker can pop their units off the board at or under 25% strength, then return them next turn. For 2 CP, they can come back within 6" of the Defender's table edge :psyduck:

Addendum: honestly, power levels worked really well. For every Heavy Rock Cutter I took, he had a plasma gun because DANK ANGELS :getin:

Fockin' noice, m8.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Hra Mormo posted:

I think my "I'll never be able to paint that" -army is Orks, which I've always wanted to do since I got into the hobby almost 20 years ago but after nids and skaven I promised myself I'd never do another horde army again.

Then proceeded to pick armies like Dark Eldar and Skitarii to paint which are semi-horde anyway. If I ever feel the need to start another army yet again I think I'll just say gently caress it and finally do Orks. I know I could vomit barely passable orks out really quickly but I'm one of those super fiddly perfectionists who's also bad and slow at painting, so it takes me forever to paint a single infantry model to a standard that won't be depressing for me to look at.

I made the mistake of putting together Orks with a paint job that (IMO) is taking way too long, but I love the end result so gently caress it I'm still going on. I have 22 models left before I hit a completely painted 1K force that's legal for 8th, and then after that I have no idea what I want to do (but will probably paint more boyz).

It really is about just painting.

Sykic
Feb 9, 2004

Resist! Humanity demands it! Resist!
While I've no interest in ork infantry, the day I learn how to weather properly is the day I immediately buy some Killa Kanz and/or a Deff Dread.

Also GW are proper bastards by only putting 3 pairs of scything talons in the warrior kit. Talons are clearly the best looking option and everyone should have them :colbert:

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007
I wish meat screamed as I ate it.

Sykic posted:

While I've no interest in ork infantry, the day I learn how to weather properly is the day I immediately buy some Killa Kanz and/or a Deff Dread.

Also GW are proper bastards by only putting 3 pairs of scything talons in the warrior kit. Talons are clearly the best looking option and everyone should have them :colbert:

But boneswords make it bony and rending claws because :unsmigghh:

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord
First model I've based in about roughly 14 years! Last time I did this I used super glue and green flock like a moron. Used nurgle's rot technical paint for the slime river - the glossiness will pop more when I take a better picture, right now it looks kind of flat. I might try to mix some earthshade wash into it to make it a littler darker so it doesn't match as close with the green on the cloth and armor.

Might switch to a finer ballast / sand, but I'm going for a rocky toxic wasteland look so maybe it's good as it is?

Fake James fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Jun 14, 2017

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

You can save yourself some anguish by putting them on 32mm bases before you make the 25mm ones awesome!

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord
Oh god I forgot there is a new base size now :doh: I really don't want to have to pop all my minis off of their bases and put them on new ones though - is 25mm still fine to use for marines?

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Geoff Zahn posted:

Oh god I forgot there is a new base size now :doh: I really don't want to have to pop all my minis off of their bases and put them on new ones though - is 25mm still fine to use for marines?

I don't think you're required to change.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
You're not required to change, though I think the bigger bases look a lot better. There are also companies that sell adaptor rings to expand the old ones without you having to pop them off:

http://eccentricminiatures.com/adapterrings.html

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer
Pretty sure the only rule about base sizes was "you have to use the same-size base the model came with", and even that doesn't exist anymore, and hasn't for a couple of editions.

I've got a mix of 25s and 32s in my army, and I'm never going to give enough of a poo poo to change them all over.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender
Yeah, I'm going to start doing 32s going forward, but I'm only going to put adapters on the armies that would otherwise have mixed bases, e.g. my Thousand Sons

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Primaris are going on 32mm, normal Marines are staying on 25mm.

I need to figure out who a) manufactured the resin bases I used for my Marines and b) who made the heads I used for my Guard

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Corrode posted:

I need to figure out who a) manufactured the resin bases I used for my Marines and b) who made the heads I used for my Guard

Normal marines aren't on 25mm now unless you buy an older box

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

Corrode posted:

I'd guess the bases are Dragonforge and heads are Pig Iron, they were the most popular back in the day. Do you have any pictures?

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Geoff Zahn posted:

Is Space Hulk: Deathwing good? I got some steam bux to burn and it's 40% off right now.

It's... okay. I did a review of it a while ago on my youtube channel.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M141rCsFGfo

Sykic posted:

I'd say that IS a great paintjob. That's a really solid looking model, and while yeah, you could probably do an extra layer of highlights if you really wanted to, it looks fantastic. Super neat, clean, and crisp paintjob, and a whole army to that standard would look incredible.

Geoff Zahn posted:

It's pretty much personal preference. 32s do look nicer though.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

WhiteWolf123 posted:

Dunno. I keep seeing people who say they have problems but it works fine on my chrome.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

SRM posted:

It's... okay. I did a review of it a while ago on my youtube channel.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M141rCsFGfo

I'd say that IS a great paintjob. That's a really solid looking model, and while yeah, you could probably do an extra layer of highlights if you really wanted to, it looks fantastic. Super neat, clean, and crisp paintjob, and a whole army to that standard would look incredible.

It's pretty much personal preference. 32s do look nicer though.

They're also more stable, for the mans who are running and top heavy, e.g. Assault marines

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

TheChirurgeon posted:

They're also more stable, for the mans who are running and top heavy, e.g. Assault marines

Yeah, I've made a point to base a lot of the metal Marine models I've got on them so they don't tip over a lot or have the paint on their capes rub off in my case.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

SRM posted:

Yeah, I've made a point to base a lot of the metal Marine models I've got on them so they don't tip over a lot or have the paint on their capes rub off in my case.

Definitely a good call, I feel like my metal miniatures lose paint really easily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I was crazy enough to track down a bunch of the old, metal jump packs for my Night Lords' raptors. I was still using the plastic kit, just with metal backpacks. 32mm bases were a godsend. :shepface: Mashed fishing weights and 25mm bases did not cut it.

Also, those jump packs loving rule and the new ones are trash by comparison. They even put the spikes inside the intakes which sets off my :spergin:.

• Locked thread