Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

I have been playing games since I was really young, so I do tend to win a lot. But Calli wins a lot of the time as well. She's really good at games she's just started, where as I take a while to really get the hang of things. We also excel at different types of games. She easily becomes a millionare in Harvest Moon games, while I just barely get by in them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Warmal posted:

I have been playing games since I was really young, so I do tend to win a lot. But Calli wins a lot of the time as well. She's really good at games she's just started, where as I take a while to really get the hang of things. We also excel at different types of games. She easily becomes a millionare in Harvest Moon games, while I just barely get by in them.

I get that feeling. With my girlfriend, I'm undeniably the better one at fighting games, even when I played MKXX for the first time (for the first time I played Mortal Kombat at all, mind you) I was able to beat her roughly half the time. The same couldn't be said of her in Smash Bros. for Wii U, where she got consistently owned without being able to do anything, to the point that she ended up hating a game I genuinely love and I feel sad about it even now. I can't even remotely match her in games about exploration though, I have no sense of orientation and get lost really easily, while she loves having big worlds to check for herself.

About this map, I feel there's some really good ideas in it, like having several stars at once in the map allowing chains of stars like Calli got (and while I didn't bet on the winner, I really felt sad she didn't win this one, she deserved it after that amazing turn) but the map layout is terrible and unclear. Mario Party 1 has a lot of dumb gimmicks, I don't remember 3 (my personal favourite, and also the only one I owned) to be nearly as gimmicky, but maybe my childhood memories are failing me. I'll know after 2 is done, I guess.

MR. J
Nov 22, 2011

Chuck and Fuck
Mario Party 3's boards are really lackluster, but the mini games are great. We'll see when it comes.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Would I put it past an N64 AI to deliberately create resentment between the human players with Chance Time?

...yeah, I probably would.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

MR. J posted:

Mario Party 3's boards are really lackluster, but the mini games are great. We'll see when it comes.

I literally have only a single memory of a board in Mario Party 3. And it's only a section of a board.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
The reason I enjoy Mario party is the utter hatred it brings.

Like the swing you could hear in Calli's voice from thick contempt to sudden joy and all the way back again is why this game is fun.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Oh my god, between the silence as Michael can't bring himself to so much as breathe or push any buttons to advance the game and the sound of Calli tossing her controller I am laughing so goddamn hard right now.

Despite there being absolutely no sound you can still hear her fury. It's incredible.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Computer controlled players either don't know about the phrase "happy wife, happy life" or know about it all too well.

Callifornia2
Oct 16, 2014

get that OUT of my face posted:

Computer controlled players either don't know about the phrase "happy wife, happy life" or know about it all too well.

Pretty sure it is the latter

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Herr Tog posted:

I do not advise this course of action

I still feel this way but now that pario marty 2 is coming I would like you to play the dueling side game as I loved that and I don't think it ever came back

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I can't wait to see Calli's first encounter with MP2's Battle Minigames that come down to dumb luck and not skill.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

get that OUT of my face posted:

I can't wait to see Calli's first encounter with MP2's Battle Minigames that come down to dumb luck and not skill.

Mario Party 2: Chaos Reigns! :black101:

Personally I'm looking forward to Pirate Land and seeing how many turns it takes for someone to actually make it across the goddamn bridge.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
And I'm looking forward to posting SiIvaGunner versions of Mario Party 2 music. :v:

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Yapping Eevee posted:

And I'm looking forward to posting SiIvaGunner versions of Mario Party 2 music. :v:

I encourage this course of action

MR. J
Nov 22, 2011

Chuck and Fuck
Can't wait for Western Land and it's overly dense spaces to result in a grand one lap around the map.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Mario Party 2: Chaos Reigns! :black101:

Personally I'm looking forward to Pirate Land and seeing how many turns it takes for someone to actually make it across the goddamn bridge.

Well, you should be really happy about tomorrow's update then.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

And Here is that Update

Pirate Land Part 1

The game has now reset. Guessing will begin again as you try to figure out who's going to win. Our own counts will also begin anew in the OP. All the standings and all the guessing will stand alone in their own games. So with that said, who will win Pirate Land? Those who are right will get all new shiny Mario Party 2 stars!

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
Hmm... I think I'm gonna vote for Mario.

The Koopa Bank is the worst. :cripes: That's part of why I like Bowser Land the most. Honeycomb Havoc is always fun though.

Also because I said I would, have SiIvaGunner's take on "In the Pipe". No prizes for guessing where that one plays. :v: The Mario franchise as a whole isn't all that creative with musical track titles...

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I continue to vote for Peach, despite the AI.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Mario.

Blaming the controller? LOL.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Just imagine the anarchy if there were another two people.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I request a gif of BoaToad spazzing out over Baby Bowser.

Also I'm voting for Mario. It seems the AI is much more competent in this one than in the last one.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Mario

The AI in this one is absolutely brutal and hidden blocks just make it worse.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Feeling confident with Mario. Consider making one a normal computer, even the easy one looks significantly improved from MP1.

Also, shoulda used the Magic Lamp immediately.

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jun 14, 2017

nonrev
Jul 15, 2012

It's looking like it will be Mario.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Gotta say Mario on this one.

Edvarius
Aug 23, 2013
Sadly I too will be tossing my hat into Mario's ring. Plumber is dominating thus far, and neither of you are in a good spot to make a comeback.

On a sillier note, the mention at the beginning of Mario and co. creating a new world makes me wonder how often they create new lands... and end up having to fight through them afterward. And come to think of it didn't Super Mario Land 2 take place in "Mario Land"?

MR. J
Nov 22, 2011

Chuck and Fuck
It's no fun if all the votes are the same so I'm calling a bullshit win from Luigi this time.

Mario Party 2 comes swinging out the gate with two fistfulls of bullshit!

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Edvarius posted:

Sadly I too will be tossing my hat

I agree, Mario Odyssey does look good.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

A lot can happen in 10 turns. I'm throwing in with Peach.

berenzen fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Jun 15, 2017

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Warmal posted:

And Here is that Update

Pirate Land Part 1

It was everything I hoped it would be :allears:.

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

Based off the first half of the first board, this is going to be a bad idea but I'm going for it.

I'm just going to vote for Michael to win every single board of Mario Party 2. Every. Single. One.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I like how Toad just stands there narrating as Bowser spits fire on him. Little dude's irrepressible.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Toad sure likes to thrust fast when talking about Baby Bowser.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Nobody (but me) has faith in the King of the Bullshit Comebacks, Yoshi so that's my vote.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

I'm surprised with how many people are voting for me, considering what happened this first half. But I'll try not to let you down.

I didn't realize just how much tougher the computers were this time around. The AI definitely gained an improvement between games. Even the easy AI is smarter than before. We will think about turning down the difficulty. We'll see how things go first.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Putting my vote in for Mario. That hard computer just cheats too much.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

I interrupt this voting to show off the cool art my friend did of us, depicting the argument from the Eternal Star board.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Was that made by the same friend who made the art of both of you on the YouTube channel? I dig both of them either way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

Yes it was. We had commissioned her for the channel art, but this one she just did for the fun of it. She says she is still laughing about the slow-mo zoom in of yoshi in black and white.

• Locked thread