Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is going to be your favorite offseason storyline?
This poll is closed.
The Big3 Tourney 67 22.41%
Will Lakers draft Ball 40 13.38%
Where will the Pauls go 54 18.06%
Will LeBron jump ship to the Spurs or ?? 41 13.71%
Will every team in the league just pivot towards tanking 97 32.44%
Total: 210 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

ex post facho posted:

M-m-m-m-mega Shook, shook, shook shook

new kd nickname thoughts incorporating shook:

Shook Nasty
The Shookey-Eyed Killer (:rip: tmac)
Big Shooky
Shookyears Ahead

I'm just gonna assume you didn't watch the playoffs, because KD is like the least shook fucker in the game. He absolutely murdered the field.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

something about gordon haward, and kevin love, just make them seem like celtics players

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

RaySmuckles posted:

yeah with great success (2x ncaa finalist)

but that was college

Thank you. I edited a more thorough Hayward evaluation with video into the post for you

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

EvanTH posted:

Thank you. I edited a more thorough Hayward evaluation with video into the post for you

thanks for the video.

not a knock, but i'm still just not really sold on him.

from what i've seen of him he's an above average SF who can go off for a lot of points. but i'm not even sold on him being a top 10 SF or if he is, he's right around there.

but maybe i'm really wrong. :shrug:

i really don't know and i'm sure him and stevens would be fun to watch together, but i don't know if that moves the needle in boston.

especially with IT who is so ball dominant. hayward strikes me as a guy that would benefit a lot in a motion offense where he can exploit mismatches and defensive lapses. but they might let IT walk (probably won't) and maybe i'm just really wrong because i don't know enough about the kid.

does seem to get a lot of extra hype for being a decent white SF though

RaySmuckles fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Jun 14, 2017

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
He's a max player, adds offense to your team and isn't a hurtful defender, opens the floor nicely for isaiah and should be able to shoot 3s from IT passes. Celtics would still need another superstar+ to compete with Cavs but adding Hayward unquestionably makes them 2nd best in the east.

A good center plus Jimmy Butler and, assuming IT comes back from surgery in top form, that's finally competition for Cavs

If you're the Celtics there's no question , you sign him the second you can

But do they also sign LOWRY?!?

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
Players that put up over 10 winshares get money thrown at them, like they should. Hayward scored 22 per game on drat near 60% ts. Sign me the hell up

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
Should the Celtics make a play for Nerlens Noel?

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed
Is it better for the Celtics to go for it now by signing Hayward and maybe adding Jimmy or try to build around Fultz, Jaylen Brown and the 2018 pick?

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Ammanas posted:

Should the Celtics make a play for Nerlens Noel?

He's an RFA with Dallas so it would take a lot to get him.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Cool Buff Man posted:

Players that put up over 10 winshares get money thrown at them, like they should. Hayward scored 22 per game on drat near 60% ts. Sign me the hell up

yeah i heard he was really efficient which is definitely a huge plus.

Ammanas posted:

Jimmy Butler

i'm not saying jimmy isn't better, but bradley strikes me as a guy you would want to keep. stellar wing defender which is crucial with decent offensive output to boot. i don't see why they'd get rid of him for a slight upgrade who'd probably cost considerably more. plus the guy always seems to give a ton of effort which is super valuable. i don't watch enough celtics games to back this statement fully though. if i were the celtics i'd worry more about bringing in a better defensive center (and try to move horford to the 4) if they can sign hayward.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Ammanas posted:

He's a max player, adds offense to your team and isn't a hurtful defender, opens the floor nicely for isaiah and should be able to shoot 3s from IT passes. Celtics would still need another superstar+ to compete with Cavs but adding Hayward unquestionably makes them 2nd best in the east.

A good center plus Jimmy Butler and, assuming IT comes back from surgery in top form, that's finally competition for Cavs

If you're the Celtics there's no question , you sign him the second you can

But do they also sign LOWRY?!?

I feel like you're gigantically overestimating the Cavs as they exist right now if you think "A Good Center"/Horford/Hayward/Butler/Thomas is just "competition" for them. I don't know what a Good Center means exactly but that's a lot better than the Cavs were this year.

RaySmuckles posted:

yeah i heard he was really efficient which is definitely a huge plus.

i'm not saying jimmy isn't better, but bradley strikes me as a guy you would want to keep. stellar wing defender which is crucial with decent offensive output to boot. i don't see why they'd get rid of him for a slight upgrade who'd probably cost considerably more. plus the guy always seems to give a ton of effort which is super valuable. i don't watch enough celtics games to back this statement fully though. if i were the celtics i'd worry more about bringing in a better defensive center (and try to move horford to the 4) if they can sign hayward.

What twilight zone thread am I in, are you guys just totally unfamiliar with Jimmy Butler? He went for 23.9/6.2/5.5 and 1.9 steals on .586 TS%, including .367 on 3.3 threes a game so despite his rep he has at least Lebron esque range, racking up 13.8 WS at a .236/48 pace, all on a mediocre team that played at the 20th pace in the league.

In a series against the Cavs he's the second best player on the court and not by a narrow margin. He was a great defender when he was on good teams that didn't need him to pour all his energy into offense, too. He'd be murderous on the Celitcs.

Avery Bradley has played 70 games twice in his career and has literally never broken 5 WS or .100/48. He's slightly above average if you think stats underrate his defense. He's not better than, or even close to comparable to, Butler at ANYTHING except maybe threes, and he's never the focal point of a defense so even that's questionable. He's only a .366 3pt shooter for his career.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer
i hear you deimos, i think jimmy butler is great.

i just think that too often people are looking at teams and saying "well if only they can sign these three max players they can compete" when that's not realistic at all.

how do the celtics actually afford IT, Horford, Hayward, Butler, and now "a good center" in addition to a decently competitive bench?

i'm saying that having solid role players on a team is a good thing because cap space is limited. if you have a role player that fits in well, then keep him and look elsewhere to spend your money.

i mean, sure, the celtics should sign hayward and butler, and heck even demarcus cousins! that'd be great! but how do you actually make that work?

look at the spurs. danny green is not a great shooting guard. he's an excellent defender and decent 3 point shooter. he can't dribble and doesn't shoot volume. but he works because he's cheap and what he brings to the table fits the system well enough. that's how i think about bradley.

not every team can be the warriors. its not possible to just sign poo poo loads of all stars because that's not even how the warriors did what they did. i get that they've warped the perception of the league, but not every team is going to be the cavs and go waaaay over the cap to compete. instead people should be focusing on what pieces do they really need and what pieces do they have that can fit their system.

bradley seems like a valuable role player that can play well enough so instead of fantasizing about replacing every position with an all-nba player we should be thinking about what positions really need the upgrade and how to make that system work.

alright, i'm already beyond too many words. but its not about shooting down all stars. its about trying to be realistic. and i think the celtics already have a valuable starting nba shooting guard

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Building like the Spurs means drafting like the Spurs.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

RaySmuckles posted:

i hear you deimos, i think jimmy butler is great.

i just think that too often people are looking at teams and saying "well if only they can sign these three max players they can compete" when that's not realistic at all.

how do the celtics actually afford IT, Horford, Hayward, Butler, and now "a good center" in addition to a decently competitive bench?

i'm saying that having solid role players on a team is a good thing because cap space is limited. if you have a role player that fits in well, then keep him and look elsewhere to spend your money.

i mean, sure, the celtics should sign hayward and butler, and heck even demarcus cousins! that'd be great! but how do you actually make that work?

look at the spurs. danny green is not a great shooting guard. he's an excellent defender and decent 3 point shooter. he can't dribble and doesn't shoot volume. but he works because he's cheap and what he brings to the table fits the system well enough. that's how i think about bradley.

not every team can be the warriors. its not possible to just sign poo poo loads of all stars because that's not even how the warriors did what they did. i get that they've warped the perception of the league, but not every team is going to be the cavs and go waaaay over the cap to compete. instead people should be focusing on what pieces do they really need and what pieces do they have that can fit their system.

bradley seems like a valuable role player that can play well enough so instead of fantasizing about replacing every position with an all-nba player we should be thinking about what positions really need the upgrade and how to make that system work.

alright, i'm already beyond too many words. but its not about shooting down all stars. its about trying to be realistic. and i think the celtics already have a valuable starting nba shooting guard

In general I agree but Avery Bradley isn't very good actually. His best season ever is about as good as Green was this year, which was Green's worst year since he was a D-League call up. And he's never healthy to boot. He's a strangely overrated player, he's like the definition of JAG.

If it were a choice between them, Bradley to Butler is a much, much bigger upgrade than Crowder to Hayward. Butler over Bradley last season would almost certainly have made them a 60 win team in the east with no other changes. These are the guys who put have put up a 2017 Butler season in the last ten years: Lebron, Durant, Harden, Butler

That's not a slight upgrade. The difference between Butler this year and Bradley this year was, for example, much greater than the difference between Kevin Durant last year and Harrison Barnes last year.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Without looking at any stats or thinking much about it I'd be willing to say Avery Bradley is one of the five best on-ball defenders in the league. He passes my defense eye test so hard. Like watching a terrier go after rats.

Also thinking about man v. man defense I thought Klay was way more important in that finals series than Steph. Klay should get the absolute most money you can spend on a 3D guy.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

EvanTH posted:

Without looking at any stats or thinking much about it I'd be willing to say Avery Bradley is one of the five best on-ball defenders in the league. He passes my defense eye test so hard. Like watching a terrier go after rats.

Also thinking about man v. man defense I thought Klay was way more important in that finals series than Steph. Klay should get the absolute most money you can spend on a 3D guy.

His stats look underwhelming because he has to cover so much ground for Isaiah. Anyone who watches the team knows how insane he is on d.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

DeimosRising posted:

In general I agree but Avery Bradley isn't very good actually. His best season ever is about as good as Green was this year, which was Green's worst year since he was a D-League call up. And he's never healthy to boot. He's a strangely overrated player, he's like the definition of JAG.

If it were a choice between them, Bradley to Butler is a much, much bigger upgrade than Crowder to Hayward. Butler over Bradley last season would almost certainly have made them a 60 win team in the east with no other changes. These are the guys who put have put up a 2017 Butler season in the last ten years: Lebron, Durant, Harden, Butler

That's not a slight upgrade. The difference between Butler this year and Bradley this year was, for example, much greater than the difference between Kevin Durant last year and Harrison Barnes last year.

thanks for this good reply. very solid! i'm shocked because i thought he was much better than green, and obviously i really like green

i also agree that butler would be a much better improvement over hayward. but butler is a trade right? and hayward is an FA, so the celtics would have to give some stuff up for butler while they could get hayward "for free" (cap space). definitely interesting

oh yeah, whats a JAG?

RaySmuckles fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Jun 14, 2017

Icy Penguigo
Nov 7, 2010

DeimosRising posted:

What twilight zone thread am I in, are you guys just totally unfamiliar with Jimmy Butler? He went for 23.9/6.2/5.5 and 1.9 steals on .586 TS%, including .367 on 3.3 threes a game so despite his rep he has at least Lebron esque range

This thread drastically underestimates Butler's shooting. This year was not a complete outlier, either. In 2014-2015 he shot 38% on 3 attempts a game. Over the last 3 seasons he has hit 35% of his threes on 600+ attempts. That's definitely not amazing but you can't just ignore him on the perimeter.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Space Camp fuckup posted:

EvanTH for MVP imo

thnk you for this vote but I cannot accept it for myself so I would like to dedicate it to KD's mom

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

EvanTH posted:

A friend of mine who watches just as much basketball as any self respecting SAS nerd keeps on making GBS threads on Klay and it's the weirdest thing. It's like we're watching two different players. Klay is the best.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

The SituAsian posted:

Is it better for the Celtics to go for it now by signing Hayward and maybe adding Jimmy or try to build around Fultz, Jaylen Brown and the 2018 pick?

I think they are going to try to do both and gently caress up. They'll sign guys who will make it hard for their draft picks to develop but not trade those picks to step up to the next level.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Lockback posted:

I think they are going to try to do both and gently caress up. They'll sign guys who will make it hard for their draft picks to develop but not trade those picks to step up to the next level.

Yeah? I think they won't. And your team will lose 990 games next year as penance for this post.

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

Cool Buff Man posted:

His stats look underwhelming because he has to cover so much ground for Isaiah. Anyone who watches the team knows how insane he is on d.
He guards Steph as well as anyone.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

RaySmuckles posted:

oh yeah, whats a JAG?

Just a Guy

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Cool Buff Man posted:

Yeah? I think they won't. And your team will lose 990 games next year as penance for this post.

Well that's the Timberwolves so I look forward to the bold improvement.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Trailer for Starbury's new movie about him being a Chinese basketball star

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vlb9oaeqio

I think Baron Davis is supposed to be the bad guy?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

zoux posted:

Trailer for Starbury's new movie about him being a Chinese basketball star

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vlb9oaeqio

I think Baron Davis is supposed to be the bad guy?

Probably a rival of some sort. What's Frankie Faison doing there?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
lol
https://twitter.com/footlocker/status/874970573197148160

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/rachel__nichols/status/874490462509203457

Wonder who he's subtweeting here :thunk:

lol drat

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Away all Goats posted:

Getting gentlemen swept in the CF is a funny definition of a contender

That won't happen again with Hayward and Fultz on the team. I'm not saying they'd win the series, but two or three games definitely.

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

re: KD and Lebron hate
https://twitter.com/coachdelrio/status/874979117585752064

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Lonzo Ball... is self aware?

This... may change things.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

That Lonzo Ball ad is amazing

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

NickRoweFillea posted:

Kibner came and had some brews with me and my irl boys and was excellent company. He and his band also played for St. Jude! 10/10 guy would recommend

Thanks to you and everyone else who donated to help make that trip possible, btw! We are losing lots of members this summer to graduation and moving for jobs, so it might be difficult to go again next year, but I'll do my best to try to gather new members and go again because we loved it.

----

Rick, validation on the Lakers drafting prowess: http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/sixers/nba-draft-data-76ers-bryan-colangelo-win-shares-20170614.html

Basically, they used win shares and expected win shares in respect to the position a player was picked to determine how much a team's drafted players over/under performed their pick slot.

quote:

The Pelicans data is for the team's time in New Orleans, 2003-16. The Hornets data includes the Charlotte franchise from 1989 to 2002 and from 2005 to 2016.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

The NBA's next generation is coming along nicely.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Lockback posted:

The NBA's next generation is coming along nicely.

Their hair is trash besides Tatum, and Ball

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

Charlz Guybon posted:

That won't happen again with Hayward and Fultz on the team. I'm not saying they'd win the series, but two or three games definitely.

fultz is going to be a rookie, he will not move the needle on the celtics vs the cavs even a tiny bit for several years. rookies are always bad

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Ghost Dog posted:

fultz is going to be a rookie, he will not move the needle on the celtics vs the cavs even a tiny bit for several years. rookies are always bad

19 year old Rookie PGs especially. You can sometimes find bigs that can contribute, or defensive, hustle wings. Fultz will probably be a contributor by the end of next season but I don't think he will be a focal point or anything.

Hayward would make a real big difference though.

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

yeah haywards a big get if for nothing else youd get another dude who can create his own shot which is pretty huge in the playoffs. it would also make the celtics the only eastern conference team that could theoretically make lebron play defense

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Lockback posted:

19 year old Rookie PGs especially. You can sometimes find bigs that can contribute, or defensive, hustle wings. Fultz will probably be a contributor by the end of next season but I don't think he will be a focal point or anything.

Hayward would make a real big difference though.

Fultz is big, long, and athletic. He will make a bigger impact that I think you are making it out to be but I agree that it does almost nothing to close the gap between the Celtics and the Cavs.

• Locked thread