Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Beastie posted:

Maybe we can spin it back to a gun control problem?

maybe.

Let's assume 'no' on that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Frankly, if the left wasn't done in the US for the next couple generations already, it is now. Nobody in power would ever call something like this right-wing terrorism if it happened in reverse, but the right gets away with a lot that the left never will.

I can't help but feel like it's about time to expatriate if you haven't already and you have the means. I'm probably wrong. I tend to catastrophize. But it's hard not to see the writing on the wall here.

jeremy
Jun 19, 2002
Crazies belong to every party. But conservative spin is more powerful than liberal spin.

This is going to gently caress liberalism and leftism in this country far more than it'd hurt conservatism if all participants parties' were reversed.

Moxie
Aug 2, 2003

How did he find out about this baseball practice? A random leftist retiree makes no sense. Someone with intel whispered him.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

I'm pretty sure only the people who were shot will remember this by next week.

Do they really want to open up gun control debates? Do you really think that there won't be some giant scandal that overshadows this?

LaserShark
Oct 17, 2007

It's over, idiot. You're gonna die here and now, and the last words out of your mouth will have been 'poop train.'
I suppose the one bright spot is that this guy didn't die at the scene, as these maniacs so often do. At least we'll get some answers out of him before he gets locked away for life.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Fitzy Fitz posted:

He's been IDed, but not much info.

Shooter identified by law enforcement officials James T. Hodgkinson
The shooter at the GOP congressional baseball practice this morning is James T. Hodgkinson of Belleville, Ill., according tolaw enforcement officials. Hodgkinson, 66, owns a home inspection business. His home inspection license expired in November 2016 and was not renewed, state records show.
Weird, didn't think grover was that old.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Covok posted:

Dude is a hard-left berniecrat. This gonna suck. Expect rightwingers to get more fascist, dems to become weak and bipartisan out of fear, and the Republicans using this to "get a win" like firing Muller or passing the AHCA.

Literally only the first one is going to happen.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013
Your guys brains are broken.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

No Butt Stuff posted:

Do they really want to open up gun control debates? Do you really think that there won't be some giant scandal that overshadows this?

Yeah people need to calm down, this will be out of the news by next Monday.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Moxie posted:

How did he find out about this baseball practice? A random leftist retiree makes no sense. Someone with intel whispered him.

Probably.

And I wouldn't rule out personal health problems as a motivating factor.

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

Moxie posted:

Obama, probably.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

No Butt Stuff posted:

The presidential election was decided by motherfucking unsecured emails.

They're never going to stop beating this drum.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

"He's crazy" is still a very powerful narrative when white men are shooters. This is way less likely to blow up than if it were literally anyone else. The stabbing racist guy in Portland had Bernie poo poo on his facebook too.

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

Harrow posted:

Frankly, if the left wasn't done in the US for the next couple generations already, it is now. Nobody in power would ever call something like this right-wing terrorism if it happened in reverse, but the right gets away with a lot that the left never will.

I can't help but feel like it's about time to expatriate if you haven't already and you have the means. I'm probably wrong. I tend to catastrophize. But it's hard not to see the writing on the wall here.

Yeah, you're catastrophizing.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

No Butt Stuff posted:

Conservatives will be screaming about this for the rest of eternity every time one of theirs hurts someone

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Glazier posted:

Yeah people need to calm down, this will be out of the news by next Monday.

I dunno, man. This looks pretty bad.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Spiritus Nox posted:

Yes, and as soon as he runs for President, I'm sure it'll be a thing.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Guys I discovered a loophole. Bernie is not a Democrat. Case closed.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.
Civil war?

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

business hammocks posted:

"He's crazy" is still a very powerful narrative when white men are shooters. This is way less likely to blow up than if it were literally anyone else. The stabbing racist guy in Portland had Bernie poo poo on his facebook too.

He was stabbing brown folks, not a GOP senator.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

time to own it leftists

oppress the right with fear and violence

(i don't really mean that)

(it's a fun thought)

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Pollyanna posted:

Nah, no one died and the guy was white.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Harrow posted:

RottenK posted:

Conservatives will be screaming about this for the rest of eternity every time one of theirs hurts someone

Spiritus Nox posted:

God, can't believe we just lost 2018 and 2020 in one go (sarcasm).

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Florida Betty posted:

Yeah, you're catastrophizing.

Seriously.

A goddamn school full of dead kids barely older than toddlers didn't change anything.

In a week or two this will be reduced to a piece of bar trivia.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Tayter Swift posted:

Weird, didn't think grover was that old.

lol

Total Party Kill
Aug 25, 2005

you silly fucks are wetting your pants

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
holy poo poo this thread needs to stop melting down

Gustav
Jul 12, 2006

This is all very confusing. Do you mind if I call you Rodriguez?
Oh god no. Now right-wingers are gonna start keep calling us all the things they've been calling us for decades. They may even accuse us of getting people killed, like they've been accusing us of for decades. First Seth Rich, now this?

It's all over boys, time to pack it in.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
The Democratic Party will be labeled a terrorist organization and criminalizes by noon today as a direct result, and nuclear war will be declared upon California, Washington and Hawaii. A constitutional amendment will force the moon to spiral inwards and crash into Mexico.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

jeremy posted:

Crazies belong to every party. But conservative spin is more powerful than liberal spin.

This is going to gently caress liberalism and leftism in this country far more than it'd hurt conservatism if all participants parties' were reversed.

Exactly. All you need to see to realize that is how the narrative is already that this guy is a terrorist, but if he were a right-winger, the word "terrorist" would never be applied here.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

No Butt Stuff posted:

People are still talking about Kathy Griffin. They'll probably be talking about this for a while. Town halls are probably over for a while.

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

Pollyanna posted:

do you think this is the 'Reichstag Fire' they needed to invoke 1000 years of conservative darkness

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
"I can't believe they would be so vicious", says man who on the news labeled Democrats as "not people".

Total Party Kill
Aug 25, 2005

i expect to be jailed by the end of the day for being a registered democrat

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Gustav posted:

Oh god no. Now right-wingers are gonna start keep calling us all the things they've been calling us for decades. They may even accuse us of getting people killed, like they've been accusing us of for decades. First Seth Rich, now this?

It's all over boys, time to pack it in.

Here's the thing: this time they're right. A left-winger shot people. It's different when it isn't conspiracy theorizing. This lends actual credence to all the "radical violent left" stuff--it's not just what they're saying anymore. Now there's a specific, proven circumstance they can point to as proof. This is not going to go away quietly.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Fitzy Fitz posted:

People are still talking about Kathy Griffin. They'll probably be talking about this for a while. Town halls are probably over for a while.

You say "people" but I feel like it's mostly crazy right wing twitter and facebook.

Yes, I'm sure this will be something else that gets tossed out in an argument in like 2 years when someone is talking about the next 15 times some white guy with a gun goes nuts to play up "both sides" but let's not pretend that this or Kathy Griffin will have any real bearing except being the easy to shriek about bullshit to distract from actual issues.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

Harrow posted:

holy poo poo, listen to this guy. the left is done because of some crazy guy shot up some lawmakers but who didn't kill anyone? go take a loving break from politics man.

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

Push El Burrito posted:

"I can't believe they would be so vicious", says man who on the news labeled Democrats as "not people".

Lol was it Scalise who said that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Tir McDohl posted:

Lol was it Scalise who said that?

Mo Brooks.

• Locked thread